Mythosbusters

By Alec Meer on July 21st, 2008 at 10:44 pm.

And so the great Flagship saga/farce continues. The long-running Mythos beta closed down suddenly on Friday, with no word of when it’ll return, in either beta or release form. Boo.

Whichever lost souls are still haunting Flagship’s corridors attempted to make light of what’s officially and optimistically being termed “a hiatus”:

We, the ancient elders of Uld are issuing this warning to all citizens and travelers. Hurry! The great darkness that once plagued Uld is returning. Everyone is ordered to close down their shops and prepare. We predict the when night is at its peak the darkness will arrive. The ancient elders of Uld will be leaving immediately in order to preserve the lore of this wonderful world. Citizens please prepare thyself and know that the elders will be back from their travels some day.

Which is the roleplaying way of saying “Shit! The jig’s up!” Will the free-to-play MMO Diablolike ever return? I hope so. While it veered a little too close to genre stereotypes in its tone and mechanics, it was a fun old time – and I’m very keen to know whether free-to-play can work in the US/Europe.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Nick says:

“and I’m very keen to know whether free-to-play can work in the US/Europe.”

Guild Wars?

(edit)

Misunderstanding, I assume you mean not having to buy anything at all.. rather than free from subscription.

I suppose we’ll have to wait and see for Battlefield Heroes..

2. rocketman71 says:

Damn you, Roper!. Wasn’t breaking our illusions with Hellgate enough?. Did you have to sink Mythos too?

3. MetalCircus says:

This is sad news. I wanted to play this :(

4. Shawn says:

ahh… I really had a great time with Mythos, played it since beta opened, what a great time. I really do hope they get that server back up and runnning, I would pay a nominal paypal fee, and I’m sure many others, to keep this thing going, but there’s obvious corporate dealings in the way at this point.

5. TheModernArdeo says:

I was lucky enough to play the Mythos Beta in both of its forms (original client and overworld).

It is a shame that this has occurred. In my eyes, Flagship redeemed themselves with Mythos.

6. BJ Blazkowicz says:

Looking at Flagship’s current status, it doesn’t look like this thing’ll survive.

7. Zeus says:

I was really looking forward to playing this. Game Informer runs mini-previews all the time and it seems like I’ve been waiting for years.

Oh well, at least I can still play Dungeon Runners. Right? Right, guys? Dungeon Runners isn’t going anywhere… is it? *sniff*

8. DaFox says:

I still have a small hope that maybe this is mythos going into post production, and preparing for a release.

9. Meat Circus says:

Nah, Hanbitsoft will hoover up Mythos’s corpse and repurpose it into a dreary Korean grindfest.

All of this has happened before. All of this will happen again.

10. Colthor says:

I was looking forwards to Mythos. I hope that it survives, in non-dreary-Korean-grindfest form.

But I wouldn’t bet money on it doing so :(

11. The Hammer says:

Damn.

12. Mr Pink says:

This was my most looked forward to MMO. Guild Wars 2 now takes over that mantle (at least until we hear more about the KOTOR MMO).

13. Heartless_ says:

Meh, with the overworld changes they were making to Mythos it was turning from niche-superstar into mediocre mainstream. Mythos just suffered from a lack of development focus and a straight up business plan.

14. Meat Circus says:

Diablo 3 is less than a decade away. Not long to wait.

15. Chris R says:

In the mean time, there’s the Titan Quest series (I had fun playing through with 2 other buddies), and of course D2, which is always great fun, despite the dated graphics. Level 54 Sorceress on US West Ladder, quickly gaining levels (I was level 24 last week).

16. GeorgeR says:

Oogh, things keep going from bad to worse. Hopefully, HOPEFULLY something will turn around and Mythos will go back up.

17. Shawn says:

I’m a sad panda

18. Redford says:

I still believe that Guild Wars is a unique and beautiful victory story amid a sea of potential failure.

19. PHeMoX says:

I suppose we’ll have to wait and see for Battlefield Heroes..

Contrary to popular belief, that game isn’t quite free at all. If you want special things, you’ll pay. In fact, if you want to play at all, you’ll pay by spending time looking at (ingame?) ads.

It’s better to just look at popular mods or games like America’s Army when it comes to true free games.

Obviously, there’s no way you can get money out of these games without at least annoying the players that enjoy such freebies.