Cryostasis Gallery

By Jim Rossignol on July 22nd, 2008 at 10:23 am.

Action Forms have released a bunch of new screenshots for their upcoming frozen-waste-time-hopping survival-shooter Cryostasis, and I’ve posted the best of them after the jump. They show a number of different aspects of the game – your frozen, undead opponents, the dog sled, and some of the beautifully creepy ship interiors. Click on the letterbox images for the full sized shot.

Alex is no ordinary meteorologist as he possesses a unique ‘Mental Echo’ ability that allows him to relive the final memories of the dead and change their actions in the past, changing their future.

That’s still my favourite game blurb this year.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. The_Archetype says:

I wonder if it’s significant that the player isn’t wielding a gun in any of those shots. Or any of the enemies for that matter.

2. Jim Rossignol says:

There are definitely guns in it, because I’ve fired them. Whether they’ll be a rare commodity however…

3. Malagate says:

Clearly The_Archetype didn’t see the Cryostasis trailers and gameplay clips that were posted before, as they featured gunplay both from enemies and by the player.

This game is looking sweeter and sweeter each time I see it, definately something I’ll keep my eye on. As I can’t check their main website at work, is there any hint at a release date?

4. Jim Rossignol says:

“October” is the current release vagueness.

5. Jiki says:

When will this be out? oO

Edit: didn’t refresh the page be4 posting. -.-

6. Heliocentric says:

can i ask, does the boat sway about? cold fear had that, i hated the game but the constant swaying and the crashing waves really sold the environment.

7. Ketch says:

Looks quite noice!

8. Malagate says:

@Heliocentric: Well I do believe that the boat won’t be swaying during normal gameplay, as the story is of the meteorologist finding the boat anchored and trapped within ice. However I’d imagine during the “Mental Echo” sequences where the boat was probably not ice-locked that it would be all swaying with the waves, I personally can’t confirm that though as I’ve only seen some trailers and not played any of it.

9. Jim Rossignol says:

Some of the mental echo sequences have you at sea, I believe. But for the most part there is no swaying.

10. Flint says:

That werewolfy-dog-thingy jumping on the cage (third after-jump image) made this game instantly more awesome.

11. Sarin says:

If you can melt the frozen enemies with a flare gun, then I will love them forever.

Looks like a really good concept, I’ve been looking forward to this one for a while.

12. kuddles says:

As long as this game isn’t buggy to the point of busted, I’ll probably pick it up, just to support these European devs still trying to make strange PC-centric games. In fact, with Clear Skies, Velvet Assassin, The Witcher:EE and White Gold coming out soon I’ll probably end up supporting a lot of them.

13. Muzman says:

Alex is no ordinary meteorologist. He’s got special powers best suited to some sort of tortured detective or hilariously appropriate job like insurance investigator. But no, it was weather all the way for our Alex. In fairness, Soviet era vocation and guidance counselors were not noted for their insight

I’m quite intruigued by how all this is going to work. The impression I get is you can go back in time through the corpses and cows and stuff and you can (sometimes) pass or fail their last moments. Even if you fail you might learn a thing or two but if passing means they survive (for a while) and things change, the potential branching knottiness there is kinda awesome.

14. Skalpadda says:

Wow, it looks.. unique in a very good way :)

15. Shon says:

In North Carolina we had a meteorologist who could lift objects with his mind but that being able to relive the dead seems pretty sweet.

16. spd from Russia says:

why does it look like a murky mess? are those shots made from video or post-prcess overload and low detailed textures?

17. Deuteronomy says:

Wow. This looks almost hand drawn. Amazing. If the gameplay doesn’t suck I’m picking this one up for sure.

On another note: Why the hell do game developers all have to release at the same time in the Fall. Honestly. Even if we’re out and about more in the summer doesn’t mean we’re not going to buy them. A big release of even a semi-mediocre game around now would definitely stand out.

18. Jim Rossignol says:

Spd: these are relatively low-quality jpegs, remember.

19. hydra9 says:

So you’ve played the game, Jim? I’m extremely jealous. Would you care to give us a few brief words on what you thought of it?

Looking forward to the game’s release. ‘Vivisector’ (Action Forms’ previous game) was a rather nice and different FPS and Cryostasis looks fantastic.

20. Jim Rossignol says:

I think “played the game” is a bit strong. I stumbled through the opening ten minutes at KRI in Moscow. It wasn’t finished by any means, and I don’t think the demo they showed was the *actual* opening ten minutes.

I didn’t see much of the mental echo stuff, but the defrosting environments and general heat-hunting survival stuff is interesting. It gets to the point where even a warm light-bulb can help you avoid freezing to death, which amused me in that ultra-harsh way.

The monster design seemed a bit rough – animations a little clumsy and so on. It was actually hard to tell quite what it’ll be like from that short bit of play.

All in: looks intriguing. I think it’ll be a mediocre FPS with some really interesting alternative elements. There’s an outside chance that the survival and story weirdness might make it masterpiece, but we’ll see.

21. hydra9 says:

Thanks Jim! Well, I’m a big fan of Russian FPSs, so I can take a big of dodgy animation or general roughness around the edges… and yeah, the survival aspect is most intriguing, in this one.

Oh, by the way, awesome new trailer for the game here (scroll to the bottom of the page):
    Cryostasis trailer

22. hydra9 says:

Oops ;) That’s what happens when you stay away from the computer for two months…

23. Erlam says:

I’m intrigued by this game. To parrot myself, I’m hoping for another ‘Stalker’-like round-around-the-edges-but-awesome game.

24. greenbunny45 says:

Reminds me of Bioshock…

25. Deuteronomy says:

Hopefully it’s going to be better than Bioshock.

26. hydra9 says:

@Deuteronomy:

Even if it’s not *technically* better than BioShock, I have the distinct feeling I’m going to *enjoy* it more.

27. GeorgeR says:

This looks creepier and creepier, I like. Definitely looking forward to it.

28. Mr. President says:

For all the things Bioshock got wrong, there’s a whole lot of things it got right; it would be difficult to top that, and given what we have been shown so far, I don’t see it happening. Hoping for the best, though.

29. Valentin Galea says:

I trust the ruskies with everything except making a decent gun fire and recoil animation!:)