Totem Destroyer

By John Walker on July 22nd, 2008 at 10:26 pm.

Sorry about the crappy quality here.

Everyone I know who tips me off for great Flash games has been nagging me to play Totem Destroyer. I did, and you know, it just wasn’t for me. I finished it quite quickly, and never really felt the love. However, wiser people did, so I pass it on to you.

It’s from the reliable Armor Games, made by Gabriel Ochsenhofer, and using Erin Catto’s Box2D physics engine, and involves removing blocks from a wobbly tower such that a golden idol doesn’t hit the ground. Remove the required number of blocks and win the level. For me it felt more about quick luck than any great application of skill in a world of physics. But perhaps you will enthuse – play it in your browser here.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Professor Pyro says:

I like this flash game in that it’s challenging but not to the point of being frustrating.

2. Razerious says:

Aww… I’m stuck on level 16. Almost got it right, but the totem had too much momentum and fell off the indestructible block

3. Koopa says:

Fun, fast, simple, but I agree, a bit too luck dependant, rather than skill. Still, kept me entertained for good 15 minutes.

4. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

There’s timing involved when it comes to making sure you catch the idol on an indestructible block. “Jenga sway” makes everything tougher.

5. Citizen Parker says:

… you know, it just wasn’t for me.

Bah, trust your gut. The web is full of places that like games because they’re supposed to like them. We read / subscribe to RPS to get you guys and your thoughts. If we want to know what wiser people think, we’ll go read their blog.

As long as you tell us to, anyway. Keep on keepin’ on.

6. CrashT says:

Oh man… I played that game up to Level 22 and after I’d finished I closed one of my windows and its task bar button disappeared I actually expected the other windows to tumbled down into the now empty space….

LOL

7. TychoCelchuuu says:

Fun stuff! Up to level 8 or something.

8. _Nocturnal says:

Just finished it, thinking the phrase “dumb luck” was invented for this kind of game. Especially the last few levels. Now if you could EAT the pieces you take from the totem… that would be a whole different deal, really.

9. CrashT says:

Now if you could EAT the pieces you take from the totem…

Chocolate and Jelly?

10. Skalpadda says:

Felt a bit like a game for kids. Nothing wrong with that of course :)

11. MetalCircus says:

I completed it. Level 24 was ridiculous.

12. Vasara says:

I love the concept, but I thought it was too easy and too short. I deliberately tried to solve each puzzle “right” so to speak, not relying on luck, but very few of the puzzles took me more than 30 seconds to finish.

So yeah, it was fun and interesting, but more elaborate puzzles plz.

13. vash47 says:

Awesome game! Completed it, wasn’t too hard except for 24.

14. Ian says:

Finished.

Fun, accessible, but a little too luck-reliant at times.

15. Colinmarc says:

I kinda liked it, but it was very quick. And towards the end, there seemed to be too much luck involved for a puzzle game.

16. El_MUERkO says:

stuck on 16 ‘balance’ :(

17. Bullwinkle says:

I don’t think there’s much luck involved at all; it’s timing that counts. The path of the idol is pretty predictable. If it looks like the idol will teeter off the edge of a block, you can time the destruction with the sway of the blocks so the idol falls slightly more to the side to which you want it to go.

18. Ian says:

I think if people who’ve completed it think there’s elements of luck then we either were fortunate or we should agree to disagree. :p

I would say there’s a good share of moments where luck saves you and moments where quick reflexes win the day as well.

19. Chris R says:

Wooo!! Beat all 25 levels.. the game even has achievements, lol. Kinda funny.

Comment on this story