PC Gamer’s 365 Days Of Free Games

By John Walker on July 23rd, 2008 at 8:00 am.

Knytt Stories - one of the best.

A lot of love and hard work went into a remarkable feature in the current PC Gamer (UK) – 365 free games. And now you can read the entire damn thing on Games Radar.

It was a mad labour of love/hate for half the Gamer team, as well as Jim and me, taking far longer and far more people than any feature ever should. And well worth it.

GR have done a nice job, putting a decent number of screenshots up, along with direct links to every game. I feel for the person who had to copy out all the urls onto the site. Then I stop feeling for them, since the cheeky buggers not only infer they had something to do with writing it in their opening paragraph, but then add the peculiar disclaimer, “Unlike our earlier features, we can’t guarantee the quality of every game here.” How rude! Just you wait until I’m next in San Fran, you terrible men. Anyway, I can assure you there’s nary a duffer amongst them.

You’ll have seen quite a few of them on RPS before, but there’s literally hundreds we’ve never mentioned. You’ll never be short of a work distraction again.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Matt says:

I’ve got to say, and apologises to those who put the work into this.

But people aren’t interested in 365 free games, in the same way people aren’t interested in 365 arbitrary xbox or ps3 games because they know there’s a high likelyhood that 99% of them will be average-bad and they don’t have time to filter them themslves.

There’s a reason why reviews exist, so people can avoid the majority of these bad titles and focus on the good ones, noone is going to play all 365 of these games, a far more effective effort would have been to do the “top 10 free games” and it would have a much better impact (although not as impressive a title).

/scrouge

2. Ben Abraham says:

Re Matt:

John Walker said:

Anyway, I can assure you there’s nary a duffer amongst them.

Hello? Read before posting, k thx bai.

3. Evangel says:

The article has links to 50 best free games, best 9 free MMOs and best 10 free shooters.

4. Matt says:

Re Matt:

John Walker said:

Anyway, I can assure you there’s nary a duffer amongst them.

Hello? Read before posting, k thx bai.

the opinions of one man, and also doens’t narrow down the main problem, that people just don’t have time to play all 365 of them and just want to play the best.

which are perfectly good articles, making this one even more pointless.

I should point out that in part I’m playing the devils advocate

5. John Walker says:

You’re playing devil’s twit. They’re in categories, with short descriptions to help you choose which one you might want to click on. Now stop moaning!

6. AndrewC says:

365? What a stupid, arbitrary number. You all just get bored before you even got close to 500? Lazy journalism.

7. Arsewisely says:

Why has this of all things stirred up an argument? Can’t we just enjoy a massive list of free games vetted by professional games journalists? Bloody internet.

(and that games radar opening para was a bit snotty, I hope words were had – why is it there and not on CVG anyway?)

8. Gap Gen says:

Games?! Why didn’t you review free pizza?!

9. Michael Bay says:

Jesus Christ, you bunch of half-bred imbeciles. Free stuff! For Free! If I gave you tickets to my latest movie, and five pounds, would you complain?

10. aldo says:

Does it have explosions and the theme music from The Rock?

11. Crispy says:

The article links to 3 other articles copy-pasta they’ve brought us scrounged from the pages of other people’s work. Funny thing is only one of them was done by GamesRadar, the others are straight from PCGamer UK, PCGamer US and PCZone UK.

I have to say I think the sirs do take the undeserving credit piss slightly with their opening paragraph.

As for the weird-ass argument brewing in this here thread about whether we should be happy with a list of free games, just play a bit of Robokill: Titan Prime in your lunchbreak today, and then rejoice when you return the next day to find your progress has been saved!

This alone is sufficient proof for me that RPS does not lie when it recommends free games.

In fact, here’s an idea!!!1111

Why not try out a game from the list and report back in this thread if you liked it/hated it!

12. Ubernutz says:

Those responsible for this list should be hung, drawn and quartered. Then put back together with super-bionic parts for being brilliant enough to play all 365 games and tell us what they’re like.

To the nay sayers, mammaries or fare thee well.

13. AndrewC says:

If they don’t cost anything, they aren’t worth anything.

14. mpk says:

That site has a “Top 7 shower scenes” article. As my Granny used to say: “Wtf?”

15. James G says:

@AndrewC

Surely cost and worth are two things that are only loosely correlated. One is a fact, the other a judgement. Worth is in the eye of the beholder,cost in the barcode scanner’s database. Oxygen may be free, but if you were for some reason running low on it, you’d realise that it was in fact worth an awful lot. (Well actually, you wouldn’t. It would be the increasing levels of carbon dioxide that made you query the worth of oxygen. If it was just a lack of oxygen that was the problem then you’d only realise when you fell unconscious.)

Edit: And please tell me you were joking about 365 being an arbitrary number!

16. TheLordHimself says:

Thats a good philosophy to live by AndrewC. Even if you were joking, your still a tit for assuming that worth is only a measure of money.

17. Zuffox says:

Wow, what an unprecedented show of internet animosity and grumpiness in here.

Those are greatly missed in the Metal Gear Solid 4, Witcher and all sorts of miscellaneous discussions, but not here.

18. AndrewC says:

OK, I apologise. I’m sorry. I should be more aware that this is the Internet, where too many people would hold those opinions in all seriousness to reasonably expect anyone to pick up on my terribly clever irony.

I’ll get back to you on my real reaction to this article in a year or so.

19. silencer says:

I like that Mythos made the list, except that Flagship just recently shut it down (for now). :(

Edit: Also, Crime Craft reminds me of APB.

20. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Wait, where was I when people were passing around the memo saying “Free” was now a bad thing?

I’ve already played at least eleven percent of these games (for reasons which may or may not have anything to do with RPS articles, honest) and am of the opinion that all of those I’ve played were damn fun.

Which, I’m pretty sure, puts the lie to Sturgeon’s Law at least this time.

21. Philip says:

Irony is something that doesn’t really work on the internet unless you make it brick-to-the-face obvious.

I thought I heard dull thud this morning. It was the noise of thousands of people from across the world simultaneously rolling out the wrong side of the bed.

Get a grip, people. Thanks for the article, can imagine it was a complete arse to complete… :-)

22. AndrewC says:

Also my last post probably sounds really sarcastic.

23. Albides says:

AndrewC,

Take a hint from the following blog post – Postal III – and…work on your delivery.

24. AndrewC says:

Mushrooooooom, apparently.

25. Calabi says:

I’m not sure how anyone can argue against the worth of the games there.

Its got a game where you can beat up little kids in a playground. They contain way more creativity than lots of overcharged mainstream games. You could play ten of them in 5 minutes.

26. AndrewC says:

Albides: wait a minute. Was that a….pun?

27. Al3xand3r says:

[You know what – I’m sick of your mindless negativity Al3xand3r. If you hate everything you read on this site so much, I suggest not reading it. – Ed]

28. John P (Katsumoto) says:

Or they prefer reading magazines to articles on their computer screen / enjoy taking it to the loo with them whilst having a shit / reading in the back of a car when your mates are taking you on a “ROAD TRIP” / and so on.

If magazines were just a list of “news” then i’d see your point, ish. But as it stands, “eh?”

29. Al3xand3r says:

They’re not just news, but anything they write is online months before. Game reviews, hardware reviews, feature stories on current hot topics, whatever else, can be found on sources as respectable (or not respectable) as any magazine, there must be some which fit anybody’s tastes.

That’s like saying the internet is just a list of news if you think magazines provide more than such and therefor aren’t merely competing with online sources….

It’s not like you provided any compelling content based reason to buy a magazine, other than being able to take a magazine somewhere with you, though with the variety of wi fi enabled devices, you can do that for websites also, and if wi fi won’t be available, save the articles you’ll wish to read during the trip or whatever…

30. John P (Katsumoto) says:

Hardly as convenient as just picking up the magazine and leaving the house though! You can’t just flick casually through the pages of a PDF file stored on your 15 inch laptop.

Anyway, the more content the merrier for me. I mean, I COULD make do with just RPS and Eurogamer, but I love to read stuff from PC Gamer and PC Zone too, just for another angle on things. Also, it’s really hot and hard to hold a laptop on your legs whilst you’re in the loo.

For a similar discussion – see the waves of “meh” generated by E-Books.

31. Dan says:

I subscribe to PC Gamer because I like their reviews and opinion stuff, mostly. It’s very rare that any of their news is actually new, although they occasionally get exclusive reveals on some of their previews. And yeah, I prefer reading long items from a magazine to reading them off a computer screen.

32. Mr Peckerston says:

As much as I hate complaining about a free article about free games, I have to agree that there’s way too much shit in that list. Just from the first page there’s Epic Saga: Extreme Fighter, Dad ‘n’ Me, Kumoon, Shapes on a Plane, Hydrophobia and Pengiun Panic, and a few of the games I haven’t tried look dire too. The short descriptions give absolutely no indication of quality either, so people are just as likely to randomly download Facewound or Toadzilla as Cave Story.

I guess I should make my own review site instead of bitching. Oh well :(

[Yes, except you forgot the “instead of” part. What a bunch of miserable bastards you lot are today. Watch this and then try and be negative:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDaszN9ByxM – Ed]

33. Joe says:

A good list, but a lot of it was stuff I already knew about :(

AISLE should so be on that list as well by the way.

34. Cooper says:

Wow… Just, wow. Angry internet Men Out In Force. They’re free. And the majority of them are very good time fillers. Sure, few compete with commercial games, but many, many provide mechanics, styles and ideas you’d never, ever see in a commercial game. Pah.

Anyway, I read this in PCGamer (about, ooh, a month ago, Al3x). I’m an avid fan of indie games, and had played a large proportion of the ones suggested (some of which I played again, having forgotten about them) and quite a fewthat were new to me.

Many, many of which (150?) were neatly put together on the cover disc (so I didn’t have to piss about with hundreds of internet links and webpages and downloads, Al3x).

35. Nick says:

“I guess it’s ok since this was made for a magazine, whose readers usually don’t know much about anything (else they’d not have a reason to regularly buy magazines, aside from the odd unique feature story everything is online months earlier) but having it online is redudant.”

Utter nonsense and somewhat insultingly ignorant.

36. El Stevo says:

You guys can be so negative. And this isn’t even a Fallout 3 post.

37. Man Raised By Puffins says:

Yup, I still subscribe to Gamer, and pick up the odd Edge, for much the same reasons.

As for the article in question, I have to say I only skimmed through it. But it is quite useful to know that I’ve got such a repository if I need it.

38. MCHN says:

Well dammit, I’m excited about this. Great stuff.

39. runningwthszzors says:

Just tried out the Deus Ex of Adventure games: Masq. Excellent, excellent game.

40. GibletHead2000 says:

Lost Pig was great, thanks. :-) You seem to have missed Kingdom of Loathing though… Or I missed it… ?

41. Al3xand3r says:

Hey mr “Ed” (I’ll call you that, since you didn’t even write your nickname when you edited my post), I believe my negativity here was meant for things found on a different website, not this one, and you can always skip my comments yourself.

Editing them with messages like what you left in place of my last is rather sycophantic. Of course, it’s your website and you can do anything you please, I’m just assuming the staff here have some decency when I write this. I may very well be unpleasantly surprised.

For someone who spends all that time on the internet, you sure take things way too seriously and dare I say personally. Why not give me some examples of my apparent horrible constant negativity which ruins your little corner of the web, because I fail to see any negativity aimed @ RPS’ way of doing things on any of the front page stories so it must not happen all that often, else your reasoning would have been perfectly valid and I’d have nothing to argue with.

Even doing a google search about my nickname instances on your website, brings up pages of various reports I’ve commented on with nothing negative to say about anything RPS does, and little negative about anything at all. In fact I seem to be decently active about many topics and present opinions not that radically different to other readers, casually contributing to all sorts of discussions, so I’m pretty confused over the issue you bring up.

Feel free to delete this, but you can respond to me via e-mail either way.

[At RPS we retain the right to delete or edit any comment in any way we see fit. People are negative, obviously, but you seem to be aiming for some sort of record. We shall choose to take comments as personally or seriously as we wish when published on our website. Please, for the love of anything, stop dragging every thread down into your world of misery. Thanks! – Ed]

42. cyrenic says:

I’m very disappointed to not see Crysis or Call of Duty 4 on there.

43. Bullwinkle says:

Hey guys, next time, instead of doing a ton of research to find good, free games, and sorting them into convenient categories, and writing short descriptions and adding screenshots to give us an idea as to whether we’d like to try that game, why don’t you [presumably this is ironic, but that’s enough for now, thanks! – Ed]

44. Bullwinkle says:

It was ironic. My apologies. [I thought it was funny. – Another Ed]

45. Man Raised By Puffins says:

/me adds ‘free games’ to the list of hot-button RPS issues.

46. John Walker says:

FREE GAMES CAUSE TERRORISM.

47. Okami says:

Could you please all stop fighting. I’m in a depressed mood today anyway and all this negativity here almost made me cry. Won’t somebody please think of the children?

48. Jim Rossignol says:

/pats Okami.

Shh. There there.

49. Okami says:

FREE GAMES CAUSE TERRORISM.

Doesn’t everything, these days?

50. Janto says: