EA Sports Back On PC In 2009

By John Walker on July 30th, 2008 at 11:17 am.

Come to think of it, do we really need a rugby game on PC? It just seems faintly ridiculous.

EA Sports titles are to return to the PC next year, it has now been confirmed. After the fuss caused when Sports boss Peter Moore posted some rather poor reasoning on his blog, PC players were left both insulted and in the dark about the future of the various well-milked franchises. During an investor conference call today, Shack reports that Moore is beginning to lay out his plans for reinventing the titles for the PC.

A future sport, mixing ice hockey with snooker. It's called snookey.

2009 will see the return of all the familiar franchises, but hopefully with some fresh and innovative ideas on board. Moore, he say:

“We are retooling these titles [on the PC] to take advantage of the online connectivity in a bigger and more meaningful way.”

Oh but please be more than that! Please don’t just add a multiplayer button and be done with it. Start again. And for heavens sake, develop either for the PC, or with the PC as a major consideration when going cross-platform. The issue with EA Sports games hasn’t been that we can’t play them online with our friends, it’s that we wouldn’t want to embarrass our friends by asking. They have been poor for years now, and so long as EA delude themselves by pretending it’s because of a lack of multiplayer, or piracy, or the imaginary decline in PC sales, or whatever other excuse avoids identifying any fault with their games, they will stay poor.

Moore – people stopped buying the Sports games on PC because they were increasingly bad. It’s essential that EA take this on board. Go look at some reviews. Draw a graph with the decline in sales plotted alongside the decline in review scores. Put it in Power Point if it will help. And then think – what are the PC’s strengths? Browser gaming, easy large downloads, extreme high-end graphics or all-come, all-play casual level cartoon simplicity. It’s a machine that can emulate everything from an iPhone to the unimagined next generation of consoles. It’s not a dumping ground for PS2 code.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Naurgul says:

Blah, it would be better if they didn’t change their mind. I remember back in the day, I got FIFA 1999, 2000 and 2001 in succession and thought I’d get FIFA games every year forever. By not producing their dreadful rehashes for the PC, they would protect the youth from buying them and give better games a fighting chance. It also makes PC users feel superior that their platform is not tainted by tripe-games.

PS: Now, you may ask: how is fueling the PC users’ elitism any good? Well, it’s good for the PC users and (mostly) bad for everyone else.

2. MetalCircus says:

*groan*

3. Bobsy says:

That there is no giant world league for custom online teams, similar to the Trackmania model, is a is just plain silly. It’s a really simple system that could work with a relatively small amount of effort, would (I think) prove exceptionally popular.

Create your team, join your local regional league. Every month the top couple get moved to a higher-up league, and from there to a qualifying league, from there to the national leagues. Job done.

The only obstacle I can see is sorting a discrepancy in the amount of games played between players per week/month. But I’m sure some magic clevermaths can sort that.

4. Dan (WR) says:

I’m sure I’ve heard that the next FIFA on the PC will feature a mouse-control scheme that allows you to direct players around the pitch like you can on the Wii version of Pro Evolution Soccer. That alone seems like a pretty positive step. I do hope they make an effort this time, as the next-gen versions of Fifa 2008 were really rather good – so it was appalling that the PC was lumped with very poor PS2 ports.

5. Ian says:

The top picture only helps to fuel my desire for a good rugby game.

*sigh*

6. Jesucristo says:

They should dissapear completely.

7. Saflo says:

I want Mutant League Rugby.

8. Robin says:

I’ve recently been following the (disasterous) release of NCAA 09 on consoles on Bill Harris’s blog. The most depressing thing is that even when EA Sports games are riddled with bugs and basically unplayable, they still get 80-90% reviews across the board. Reviewer apathy + captive audience = a perfect habitat for self-congratulatory idiots like Peter Moore.

9. aldo says:

Presumably one of the main problems facing EA is that mods can do all the team-updates that they’d usually charge £40 for each year….

10. Po0py says:

Agreed. Totally. You know they are a lazy bunch of so and so’s when you install fifa on your pc and find that button configuration still has the playstations dual shock controller icons.

And last years Fifa was a shambles. You advertise it along with the 360 version and all it’s shiney new features but you only leave it to the small print to say that the pc version is using a five year old engine and has nothing to boast about. Its just fifa 2003 with tweaked controllers and new rosters.

It’s a total con and it’s going to take a lot to restore my faith in the EA Sports brand, to be honest.

My advice: Battlefield: Heroes. Do what they are doing. You already got the ingame adverts down. Just be brave and let it loose on the internet for free.

11. Kanakotka says:

It would be far better if PC had less shovelware like EA sports games…

12. Commenter EXTREME says:

Kanakotka – why? You don’t have to play it, and some shovelware can be pretty good (like, say, Zombies vs Ambulance). It only affects people who walk into game stores and pick by throwing a dart at the shelves.

13. Ian says:

“I want Mutant League Rugby.”

I’d play that.

I also think that using the mouse for a Pro-Evo-on-Wii-esque system has a lot of potential.

14. cyrenic says:

If they would make free or very cheap PC versions of their sports games with lots of online features and low system requirements, supported by advertising, they would make a lot of money. Advertising would fit right in with the sports theme and could be updated dynamically.

This would require effort and innovation from EA Sports though.

15. JoshG says:

I’m probably on my own here, but I’d bloody kill for a decent PC version of Madden. Making the grass look like a badly imposed photo and tweaking the rosters for 08 did not an update make, especially with the great job they did with completely rejigging the way the game played for the PS3 release. Lazy buggers they are.

I’m not even that bothered if it’s a straight conversion. Just make it a decent one, not sub-PS2 level shite.

16. Sum0 says:

@JoshG: I look at the prettiness of the 360 version and weep. I think I realised Madden on PC was truly dead when I discovered that they weren’t going to even bother with next-gen graphics in 07.

17. Rodafowa says:

You’re not on your own, mate. Don’t get me started on the permaborked controls that made Superstar mode basically unplayable and have been a “feature” on the PC since at least Madden 2002.

I can’t possibly justify taking up the family telly for an hour at a time to play Console Madden, so the series is currently dead to me. But hey, I s’pose that’s what last year’s game and a roster update’s for, eh?

18. GeorgeR says:

Wow, admission of poor implementation and a goal to do better in the future, did this really come out of EA? Am I in some sort of wacky universe?

19. DarkXaero says:

From what I’ve heard, the next FIFA is going to be on PC and it’ll be a next gen port for the first time. Thats the only EA sports game that I care about.

20. Jnanashdsjhdf says:

Why didn’t you brought rugby 09 out this year IO hafe been waiting for over an year because my rugby 08 broke.
    Please bring it out early 2009.

21. Eury360x says:

We need a good baseball game for the PC that gets updated rosters and keeps the use of “meter pitching” similar to MLB09: The Show, and MLB 2K9 for PC was a huge step, however their was no online integration and no updated rosters and the pitching interface was horrible. Lets please stick to meter pitching please!

Comment on this story