I Hear It Likes The Ghostbusters Videos – Update

By John Walker on July 31st, 2008 at 10:45 am.

Please don't just be a rehash.

Update - As reader Schadenfreude points out, there’s some turmoil in the world of the Ghostbusters game. Variety reports that Activision have opted out of publishing Sony’s game (along with Brutal Legend). So it’s without publisher at the moment, but Sony are looking for someone new. Don’t expect to see the game before next year.

GameTrailers have a three-part developer walkthrough of the forthcoming Ghostbusters game, and because we love you, they’re all below.

Oh, this game worries me. It’s written by Aykroyd and Harold Ramis. It stars the original cast. It’s based on one of the best movie franchises ever. It could be utterly brilliant. Or it could be a pile of poop, because it’s written by people who make movies and not videogames, and that translation is often so horrible. A bit too much points to being a rehash of the familiar scenes from the previous movies, rather than a fresh new story. OH PLEASE BE GOOD. Anyway, you can make some judgments for yourself in the videos below.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Schadenfreude says:

Looks like it’s got another year of development time whilst it looks for a new publisher anyway. Which can only be a good thing.

This has presented [Sony Pictures Consumer Products] with an opportunity to reevaluate the game release marketing strategy to potentially coincide with the 25th anniversary of the original film in ’09.

2. Del Boy says:

I’ve never seen the Ghostbusters films.

I apologise unreservedly.

3. Chris Charabaruk says:

As you should! For shame! Go watch them right now. I don’t care if that means you miss work today. You deserve it for being a naughty boy!

4. matte_k says:

That actually looks surprisingly good! Hopefully PC controls won’t be too fiddly or gamepad-like. Delaying it another year probably is a good thing, both in terms of fine-tuning and smart marketing for the 25th anniversary. (My god, has it been THAT long…)

Love the idea that Walter “this man has no dick” Peck has to foot the bill for everything you wreck- that just MAKES you want to destroy everything…

5. Saul says:

All the way through those trailers I was like yeah, maybe… nah… yeah… maybe not. It looks impressive, mostly, but is collecting trophies really a valid game mechanic? Maybe for a sports game.

6. sigma83 says:

The gameplay looks kind of flat to me, but that could be just the fact that the guy giving the presentation didn’t really do a spectacular job. I’ll reserve judgment until I have the game in hand, of course, but my initial impressions aren’t great.

I’d ideally want a cooperative (even with just the AI) experience beyond just firing the proton gun at things and yanking them around over a trap. I’d like for there to be strategic options and weapon selections and stuffs.

Just saying.

7. James T says:

As long as I get Brutal Legend on my PC, I’m larfin’.

8. The Guy says:

I can wait for Ghostbusters, but if Brutal Legend isn’t released by fall it’ll be another reason in a long line of reasons to hate Activision AND Blizzard.

9. GeorgeR says:

That screenshot you have for the article is the saddest marshmallow man ever. You should have just shopped in tears. I mean really. He’s so very very sad.

10. garren says:

“Next-gen”. God I hate that word. What the hell does that mean anyway, if everyone slaps it on any game?

11. kevin says:

“Ohp. Oh! And he got slimed! Oh man.”
    “So theres Elanor Twitty. Oh nooo!”
    “Oh wait, whats going on? Uh oh! Yeah you got knocked out by a bookshelf.”

Is this guy pitching his game or talking to a 6 year old?

12. Masked Dave says:

I’ve never seen anyone present a game well in videos like this.

Regardless that looked very good except for one minor quibble… there is going to be co-op right?

I mean, that whole getting-knocked-down-and-getting-picked-up mechanic is pure co-op game play. Without it, you may as well just have death.

13. yns88 says:

garren: It is my conjecture that by the time the next generation actually arrives, nobody will use the term, and the gaming press will declare it to be “soo last year”

Until then, however, you’ll have to make do replacing all instances of the text “next-gen” with “current-gen”. I suggest using a macro script to make it easier.

14. Caiman says:

garren, exactly – they’ve burned that “superlative” out, so what will they call the next generation? “Next-next-gen” or “next-gen-squared” or perhaps “next-gen-360″?

15. Noah J. says:

this worries the hell out of me. grabbing every single line of the movies and slapping it into a game is not a great writing strategy. working in the librarian, sure, but how are they going to resurrect the stay-puft marshmallow man? i know it’s a game, but it’s also ghostbusters.

also: you can’t die? remember how well that worked in bioshock?

16. Noc says:

Caiman and Garren, “Next Gen” simply means that the level of graphical sophistication is that of the incoming generation as opposed to the outgoing one. For instance, UT2004 had “Next Gen” graphics when it was being developed; after a few years it became “Current Gen,” and when UTIII came out, it had “Next Gen” graphics and UT2004 is now sporting “Last Gen” pretties. When graphical advances come they usually come pretty quickly, and the divisions between generations tend to be pretty obvious in retrospect.

For instance, this sort of thing on the PC falls into certain broad catagories: “2.5 D,” “3D,” “3D with Sort of Dynamic Lights,” “3D with full Dynamic Lighting and Some Shading,” and “Everything’s got bump-maps, Normal-maps, and reflections all over it.” This last stage is the incoming generations, so if everything’s covered in six layers of shaders, it’s got “Next Gen” graphics. (Note: Broad, broad generalization.)

This is even easier to see when you look at console games; their visual evolution tends to run pretty parallel to that of the PC, but the gap between generations of graphics is even easier to see because the consoles themselves define the hardware capabilities of the current generation.

As a selling point it’s slightly redundant, since it’s sort of assumed that the majority of games being published now are using current graphical technology. But what it means is that they’re going for “As pretty as we can get given the technology we’ve got,” as opposed to “We’re going to try and work with a unique artistic style instead of getting the pretty with the ‘technological sledghammer’ route.” It’s sort of one of those things that’s part of the bullet point on the back of the box long with “Thirty Hours of Gameplay” and “Online Multiplayer Co-Op,” because it’s common enough that it’s not really a big deal but it’s worth mentioning since it’s absence would be pretty conspicuous.

17. Scandalon says:

Del Boy –
    Don’t worry, I have seen the ghostbusters films, about 5 years ago. Maybe it’s just I never saw them in their “natural context” (The 80’s?), but I certainly didn’t see what all the fuss was about. I laughed maybe once during the first one.

The internets now hate me…