Carmack, Rage: Extended Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on August 1st, 2008 at 8:47 am.

Eurogamer wrote up the Carmack keynote over here, in which he covers future tech and Quake Live stuff. The trailer, which you can see after the jump, is essentially the same footage as the E3 trailer, but with another section tacked on the end. It shows some kind of battle-racing tournament feature, with some shots of the racing itself. Hard to be sure how it’ll play off any of this, but it’s all Id Tech 5, and looking fairly amazing.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Pemptus says:

Looks ‘splodey.

2. Alex McLarty says:

That looks incredible.

And for Mac! FOR MAC! Hahahahahahha….I’m done.

3. Lu-Tze says:

Looks like they subscribe to the Mario Kart school of racing, where the people in last place get to nuke everyone in front of them.

I’m loving the Firefly vibe I get from the towns and stuff though.

4. Pavel says:

I love this postapocalyptic setting.This might be the first id game that I will actually love.

5. Freelancepolice says:

This looks really great. Would it be wrong to suggest the towns look more fallout-y than fallout 3 itself?

6. Mitch Small says:

That drink-offering lady creeps me the hell out.

Other than that, wow. That’s some top-not animation and pretty. Really kind of neato.

7. Saflo says:

I experienced a Meerian “durrrr I wud like 2 play dat” moment.

8. Valentin Galea says:

They really nailed the atmosphere with this one, me thinks!

9. Smee says:

The lips still aren’t right.

10. Joe says:

Damn, I wish Fallout 3 would look like that.

Still not sure about the gameplay-mix of driving and FPS but it’s growing on me.

11. Crispy says:

3DRealms could be making this game if they’d bothered to revive their Death Rally IP. A 3D deathmatch racer has been a long-time coming, last racer I really enjoyed on the PC was pod.

Great setting, looks good, I’m eager to see more. Name sucks, though.

P.S. What is it with Irish accents in games all of a sudden?

12. kadayi says:

“So, what happened to id and Activision’s partnership, are they not best buddies anymore?”

13. teo says:

“Wait. Hold on a moment. By “Id Tech 5″, do you mean that the pre-rendered cgi footage at the beginning…is actually in-game? Huh.” It’s all ingame

“After activision completely ballsed up the release of Doom 3 (Staggered Worldwide release = Piracy City) I’m not surprised iD quit them as soon as they could.”
    That’s not how it went down, but people posting [words] is the norm on the internet…

14. Cigol says:

The crashes at the end are a little uninspiring given the quality elsewhere but maybe it’s just bad editing.

15. Gurrah says:

You can say what you want about the depth/story of iD games, they always look fantastic, and the setting is fantastic, looks a bit like the way Fallout 3 should look.

16. ascagnel says:

@teo, @Crispy, @kadayi:

id’s probably miffed at Activision’s handling of the launch of the PS3/X360 versions of Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

In other news, the console versions of ET:QW launched a few weeks ago. And nobody noticed.

17. windlab says:

So this is a deathmatch racing game in a future governed by a radical left-wing ideology. :P
    Like the sound of it.

18. Lunaran says:

The Quake4 release was no picnic either. Everywhere you went that month Activision was pushing Gun.

19. kadayi says:

@teo

Hyping a game to the 9th degree and then having a 10 day differential between the US and European release, meant Doom 3 was pirated to buggery by frustrated European players (over 50,000 downloads over the first weekend alone). That’s not conjecture, that’s what occurred. Money, and lot’s of it, quite literally went walking out the door. Since then it’s been rare that any publisher has repeated the mistake. Big games generally now either have global releases, or follow the Tuesday (US) then Friday (Europe) same week strategy.

20. -- says:

Can I watch the whole keynote somewhere?

21. James T says:

Money, and lot’s of it, quite literally went walking out the door

Having some ‘Sorcerer’s Apprentice’ mental images here…

22. Paul Moloney says:

Isn’t it a given that iD’s games look amazing? The problem is that since the original Doom, under the shiny graphics there’s not much game there. I’m going to withhold judgement on this until the game has been released and the shininess has worn off.

P.

23. MeestaNob! says:

Looks great, if a little Doom 3 plasticky, and the facial animations aren’t very good (we’ve been spoiled by the Source engine in that regard).

Shows potential.

24. Saflo says:

I like Doom 3 plasticky. I wish more games were Doom 3 plasticky. It makes me feel like I’m in an ultraviolent Disney World attraction.

25. Smitty says:

Mmmm..more Id, the next best thing to this would be more Heretic from Raven.

26. spd from Russia says:

quake+deathtrack yay. looks ace

27. Lars Balker Rasmussen says:

Speaking of id… Just saw the new Wolfenstein trailer, and it doesn’t mention PC on the title-screen at all, just Playstation, PS3 and Xbox 360. Is that a fact now?

28. Jim Rossignol says:

The new Wolfenstein is coming out on PC.

29. Mike says:

Hmm. Does this actually look that good? Doesn’t Crysis look about as good as that? The animation has had care taken over it, sure, but that’s not a technology thing.

I don’t know. I don’t really know much about the game, but visually it doesn’t look amazing. I’m worried this might be because graphics are hitting a plateau.

30. Lars Balker Rasmussen says:

The detail of the world is where it’s at – it’s “free” for the graphics guys to add detail to anywhere in the world without bothering the programmers, which is a major quantum leap, only hinted at in the new videos.

31. ghotto says:

32. Yhancik says:

I was :D until I saw some “grunts” with “big guns” fighting kind of “mutants” in “corridors”…
    But aside from that the universe looks interesting!

33. Erlam says:

Honestly, if you could somehow avoid the racing entirely I’d be interested in this game.

34. spd from Russia says:

video of willits talking about rage. destroyed earth, radiation, mutants… sounds like you know what :)

35. EyeMessiah says:

Sounds like Glasgow on a Saturday night.

Game looks sweet though. Carmageddony. Mmmm.

36. sbs says:

“Doubt I’ll be getting Rage. Racing games suck on a keyboard and mouse. Digital steering anyone?”

Trackmania anyone?
    Even if it’s half as responsive it could be just fine, and if id Software have one thing down it’s this incredible responsive feeling that, once you get used to it, makes everything else feel clunky.

37. simonkaye says:

Mad Max meets Firefly. Looks good.

38. JayeRandom says:

Thirding the Firefly vibe. So Badger’s a race promoter now? I’m wondering if this was intentional or just coincidental.