Strafe Left: The Formative Years #41

By Tim Stone on August 3rd, 2008 at 8:49 am.

From May 2007.

__________________

« | »

1. Optimaximal says:

I’m struggling to identify the game… is it Half-Life 2, Sin Episodes or something else?

I’m edging towards Sin because of what looks to be a Sintek logo on the tall building.

2. Nihohit says:

looks like the crane scene from HL2.

3. Lord_Mordja says:

Yep, HL2.

4. blorgbeard says:

Reminds me of the Mirror’s Edge trailers for some reason.

5. DaFox says:

Yep defiantly HL2 Those be some combine, a few standard issue HL2 Exploding Barrels and some good ole fashion Crane.

6. KindredPhantom says:

OOh and it’s in colour.

7. Heliocentric says:

the skyscape makes me thinks sins episode.

8. Vanderdecken says:

HL2, about halfway through Highway 17. http://www.visualwalkthroughs.com/halflife2/highway17/highway17.htm#33

Just before that very satisfying dune buggy jump through a large window.

9. KruddMan says:

wow that screenshot makes hl2 look terrible

10. hydra9 says:

The funniest one yet – by far :)

11. DSX says:

I always have to ponder the placement of explodey things right near where our enemies are. Sure it makes for some fun, but it’s sort of the banana peel in the middle of the stairs obvious.

12. Thomas Lawrence says:

I love this one so much :)

Particularly because it adds a small air of tragedy now when I play FPSers and make use of such traps to kill dudes. Those guys were enjoying themselves before I blew them up. *sniff*

13. Jay says:

Arf. Now this is one I certainly haven’t seen

14. sana says:

Finally one that suits even my simple understanding of humour! :D

15. CrashT says:

“People never think how things affect the family of the henchman.”

16. Saflo says:

Ah, this inspired me to go back and play through that bit again.

The music that kicks in when you enter the crane is perfect.

17. Acosta says:

haha, great one.

18. Colinmarc says:

Hehe, got this one.

19. Vanderdecken says:

@KruddMan: yeah, low res and graphics on low settings.

@Thomas Lawrence: BioShock was incredible for all the different ways you could lure, trap, ambush and kill splicers. No remorse for them though. You might want to take a look at Concerned: the Half-Life and Death of Gordon Frohman, especially the next few strips after and including this one.

20. Paul B says:

Wow, nice to see it in colour. And very funny too. Thanks Tim S. :thumbsup:

21. Ted says:

I actually got one of these finally!

22. cyrenic says:

@vanderdecken

I immediately thought of that particular Concerned as well.

23. The Shed says:

Dunno, still too lacking in subtlety to be real good like some of the others. Also not the most original, ala the whole Henchman sympathy thing. Still a decent strip though.

24. RichPowers says:

We need a FPS where you play as a generic henchmen. A few studios could successfully parody the FPS genre, explaining, for example, why henchmen always stand near explosive barrels or, in the case of Rainbow 6 Vegas, bicker amongst themselves about the noise caused by a nearby grenade and if it should be cause for alarm.

25. ascagnel says:

RichPowers: There was one of those games (kinda), NOLF: The Operative. It sucked. You were on the side of HARM, fighting against UNITY. Shame that the title probably killed off NOLF for good after the iffy sales of NOLF2.

Side note: PCG US gave NOLF2 only one “-” in its review: “The game has an end.”

26. LionsPhil says:

God, The Operative was awful. Not only did it dig the grave of a truly excellent series, but it was one of the most obvious examples of inappropriate game dynamics to date. The game was still set up for sneakery, yet threw bare-faced scripted spawns at you that would embarrass even DOOM.

And now all Monolith do is churn out generic near-future run-and-guns. Thanks, general public!

27. Ted says:

If the failure of NOLF2 led to far, far superior FEAR then yay for the failure of NOLF2. All I remember about that game is getting a few hours in and reaching a section where I had to sneak by some Russian guards or something. I take the guards out and hide their bodies. Suddenly, exact replicas of the guys I took out come walking through the same area on the same route. I repeat the process. Then I realize that the game has infinitely respawning guards walking identical paths, and if I want to advance I’m going to have to try to use the half assed stealth system. Exit game, uninstall, toss it in the trash.

28. ascagnel says:

@Ted: FEAR sucked… boring, repetetive, and like every other shooter with a nameless, faceless space marine/earth marine/soldier type. NOLF2 had some creative levels, with the Japan and Ohio levels being the most interesting.

That stealth bit of the Russian level was a killer, but once you figured it out it goes quick. I replayed it recently and that bit took ~5min in 1 try, so its not bad.

The way the Russian level(s) come together is awesome. Starting with the setup at the beginning, and then slipping in under cover of night, to fighting through the fortress, and then the culminating moment of blowing the bridge just made it awesome. It was level design that Valve usually works with in Half-Life, where there are elements that tie everything together and make the scripted fight even better (see also: the Helicopter chasing you through the hospital in HL2:EP1).

Comment on this story