Rage Screenshots, After A Year’s Wait

By John Walker on August 4th, 2008 at 10:24 am.

Astonishing non-brown id game screenshot.

QuakeCon saw, at last, the release of some official screenshots of FPS Rage. And guess what. Only one of them’s brown! Click on the pics for bigger versions.

So, yes, this one IS brown.

Don’t forget to check out other QuakeCon reports, such as Wolfenstein 3D 4 (as it’s definitely now called despite what id might say), an extended trailer of Rage, and yet another Rage trailer.

Doom 4 you ask? You very well might.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. MetalCircus says:

Doom 4′ll never happen. And if it does, I want some old school arcadey goodness. Doom 3 was a good’un, but it wasn’t as fun as doom.

2. John Walker says:

Doom 4 is heavily in development, and using a more advanced version of the idTech5 engine.

3. Cedge says:

MetalCircus: Doom 4 is officially announced and currently in development…

4. SwiftRanger says:

Despite the ridiculous detail I think the most impressive thing about the whole Rage stuff were the animations themselves. They just looked more real than anything else I’ve seen. Hopefully not every part of that footage was passive-in-game-cutscene-scripted to hell.

5. Mungrul says:

Didn’t they hire an ex-Pixar guy for animation when they were making Doom 3?

6. Diogo Ribeiro says:

All that unecessary photorealism reminds me why I rarely pay attention to id’s games, but always seem to enjoy games made with their engines and developed by other studios. It always feels like there’s something missing. A soul, perhaps?

7. Mike says:

Green is the new brown, though.

8. Inglorion says:

Again with the monsters. Sigh!

9. Turin Turambar says:

Diogo, i think it’s you who is missing the soul. I mean, you don’t like run & gun? :P

10. Robin says:

OH SIGH IT HAS GUNS AND ALSO SHOOTING, NOBODY UNDERSTOOD ICO LIKE I DID

It’s funny that the whole “Id game: Hurrrr it is brown!” schtick was kicked off by people with rubbish PCs who couldn’t run QTEST and had to make do with the primary-coloured hijinks of Duke Nukem 3D.

Post-apocalyptic deserts are quite brown, what of it? I’ll be first in the queue to shoot some mutants and what look like Tusken raiders in the face.

11. Diogo Ribeiro says:

@Turin:

Oh, on the contrary. I likes me some good run’n'gun, and have been doing so for quite a number of years :) But id’s games, for some reason, never quite struck gold with me. It’s as if they can do no wrong – solid presentation and gameplay – but then never come alive and grip me.

12. Pew says:

Can they at least say if it will run on a 9800, a 10800 or an 11800? Id: making you upgrade since Quake 1

13. Man Raised By Puffins says:

I’m replaying Doom 3 at the moment, it’s somewhat better than I remember it being (and I did actually like it first time around, unlike some). The samey-ness of the environments is ameliorated a fair bit by each area having its own back-story and a regular drip-feed of new weapons and enemies, not to mention that the core action is rock solid. The only real problem with it is the cheap way in which the monsters spawn in from nowhere, it’s fine when you see them teleport in from hell but half the time they’ll just suddenly appear behind you. And of course the monster closets. So it’s good to hear that Doom 4 will be losing those, although I do hope it’ll still have a claustrophobic vibe.

I’m kind of waiting and seeing with Rage though, as the racing idea doesn’t exactly appeal to me.

14. Saflo says:

Again with the monsters. Sigh!

You know, I like a shooter to have monsters. When it makes sense, of course. Id have a history of excellent monster design, so I say hats off for keeping the dream alive.

15. RichPowers says:

@Puffins

The first half of Doom 3 is very enjoyable. I remember being awash in nostalgia during my first play through, happy that id made another Doom game and that something was right in the world. But the game dragged on and on and on to the point where I enabled God Mode just to finish the darned thing.

16. ran93r says:

Oooh, Stargate Worlds is looking better, if not a little brown.

17. Man Raised By Puffins says:

@ RichPowers: Yeah, it could certainly have done with a bit of judicious pruning. Five levels in the same lab complex is probably a wee bit much.

18. D!D says:

Mungrul: The animator they hired for Doom 3 worked for Dreamworks on Shrek if I remember right. I think that’s part of the reason why those early trailers really stood out – though it all seemed to get a bit lost in the chaos of the final game.

19. Geoff says:

Diogo,

I tend to agree, and the Penny Arcade guys made the joke when Doom 3 was released, something like “Wow! That Doom 3 is awesome! I hope someone makes a game out of it.”

Back in the Day (by which I really mean like 1998 or so) the big split was between John Romero’s “game design is all that matters!” and John Carmack’s “game technology is all that matters!” Since they parted ways and had several major releases, I imagine they’ve both become a little wiser and more nuanced, but it’s clear that Carmack is still fantastic at creating new technology, while needing plenty of good help in the other parts of the game design and development.

20. Charlie says:

Well I think Doom 4 really needs proper Brain Spider things in it. Doom 3 was a bit soulless I think, I did enjoy it but the monster closets were frustrating. I get having one as an homage to the originals or whatever but they were a constant pain in the arse.

21. Maxamillion says: