Tanks For The Gunneries

By John Walker on August 5th, 2008 at 9:44 am.

That oh so familiar screenshot.

Want to see what it looks like when a tank fires in Operation Flashpoint 2? Well, that’s a specific relief, as that’s exactly what the brief video below will show you.

There’s little more to add, really, other than: blimey.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. AbyssUK says:

I actually heard my graphics card cry out in pain while that video played…

2. Don says:

Now I want to see what it looks like when you blow up such a tank…

3. Howard says:

All well and good, but this is just more target render nonesense as with all the other OF2 videos. Untill we see actual in game screenshots this is just the usual Codies bullshit and hype and I could care less for it.

4. Larington says:

Hmm, I’m beginning to think Codies are overplaying the hype here. I think its great that they are going to such great efforts to mock up how things should look prior to implementation, but to release this stuff so soon seems very unwise to me.

5. Aftershock says:

Sexy.

Back to ArmA then.

6. phuzz says:

While I agree with all the ‘I’ll believe it when I see in game footage’ comments, my first thought was:

KABOOM!

at least you’ll be able to spot tanks shooting at you from a long way away.

7. Commando says:

Oh christ, target renders again? Codemasters is totally shameless.

Here’s some REAL screenshots: http://www.webhallen.com/pic_popup.php?id=43458&pic=27218

It’s still going to look better than that and the models are very nice but you can see why they are just passing around mockups.

8. Kitt Basch says:

Nuts, I forgot they still weren’t showing in-game footage.

It is a nice piece of animation though. I still can’t figure out how to do a plain muzzle flash :/

9. Jim says:

Like everyone says it’s not in-game (probably rendered from in-game elements), it was already shown at E3, so I’m not sure why it was posted on GT as something new.

As long as they get the AI right it’ll be a good game. Armed Assault is just so broken it’s almost unreal. I can’t get past the first mission because the in-game events don’t trigger properly. Armed Assault 2 might fix this, but OpFlash 2 is my bet for the true OpFlash squeal.

10. Jigglybean says:

@ Commando.
    Sorry to say that those screenshots are *NOT* Operation Flashpoint 2 screenshots at all. OFP2 has no desert.

Regarding this actual video. We have been releasing these teaser videos for fans on our OFP2 facebook page when reaching certain milestones. The E3 footage was recorded on a phone cam and pulled from GT(not by us I believe) as it wasn’t good quality.

There will be a full presentation, this coming Friday @ i34 for those who are attending.

11. Sum0 says:

Whether it’s real or not, I am pleased to see that developers are going down the too-rarely-travelled route of giant guns on tanks going boom. There’s just something about it.

12. MeestaNob! says:

Looks amazing, but I’m very worried it will be army FPS for nuftys rather than an accessible and true OpFap sequel.

Please be good.

13. Dinger says:

“True Operation Flashpoint Sequel”?
    Who’s to say what that really would be anyway?
    Let’s face it, your OFP is not mine, and neither of ours is the game that moved something like 1.5 million copies in 2001.
    My OFP is the combined-arms military simulator with an impressive battlespace and decent-enough MP support to run squad-level cooperative games. The game supports mods and addons to the level that I spent a good part of my life working with field manuals and people with military experience to enrich the simulation with more realistic elements.
    The OFP that’s still being played on the servers today uses a bunch of addons that make the game prettier, some of which have detrimental effect on game performance and quality, to repeat one of a handful of competitive play styles, none of which are very “realistic”.
    The OFP that sold a whole bunch of copies was a game that was mediocre in many categories. Not bad, mediocre. But in each category, and as a whole, the sheer scope knocked us on our heels.
    The artwork wasn’t stunning — it was somewhat pale (not unlike the natural surroundings of the Czech republic), but when you fired an RPG from the treeline into a BMP, then ran through the woods away from the distant gunfire of a patrol, getting lost and stumbling across a farmhouse – well, the art was pretty believable.
    The vehicle simulations weren’t great. Come on, no gearshifts on any of the cars? The aircraft flew nothing like the real thing. The tanks’ vehicle models were approximate. But everything behaved closed enough, and when you were crashing across the plains with the platoon commander yelling orders in your ear, it was awesome.
    The AI had more faults than I can name. But how many other FPSs feature company-level AI assaults?

Our friends at BIS are heading down the military simulation route, and we all look forward to ArmA2 and hope it works well.

If Codemasters can capture the scale and feel of OFP, then OFP2 will be a worthy successor, even if it’s not the “true sequel” for my OFP.

14. KP says:

I’m one of a whole lot of people tourqued at this snarkey marketing. Also, as an Armed Assault fan coming from a truely great group based around that game I can say that none of us want OFP2 to fail. From what has been said about the player count and what can be assumed about the editing capabilitys it would be imposible for it to replace ArmA 2 for us, as a group. BUT it could still be a fun game and a good influence on the genre. The render shit and wanking about realism and research dampens my hopes.

In other news, there is a lovely new ArmA 2 screenshot that could be put on the front page. :D
    Check out the metal shader on that rifle. Also note the wounded dragging: it has been mentioned that they are working on a more in-depth wounding and treatment system.

15. Dinger says:

Sorry KP, I couldn’t resist going all Diablo III on that screenshot.

16. Web says:

e3 presentation with at least a little bit of ingame stuff – the vid was available on gametrailers for a very short time:

the tank vid was part of this presentation.

17. Erlam says:

I’d like to see actual in-game footage, and actual (non photoshopped) screenshots. It’s not that these aren’t nice and all, it’s that it seems like they’re saying I’m stupid, and can’t see that they’re pulling a fast one.

I’d also love to play a military shooter of pretty much any kind that allows me to be anything other than the American army/navy/airforce/whatever. Seriously, there are a lot of other places with armies in the world, people.

18. KP says:

Erlam:
    OFP2 will have China, Russia and the United States. ArmA 2 will have Russia, a contigent of the USMC, and a resistance faction. If you meant a singleplayer story from the “other side”, we’ll see.

Also, new crappy video.
    CUT IT OUT, Codemasters.

19. Erlam says:

Yes I did basically mean that. If I’m in Russia, I want to be Russian (and whomever they’re fighting – Chechnya, China, whatever). I’m tired of being the Worlds Police Force, I want to be the native army.

20. Charlie says:

Oh those pics were from OF2, I remember them from a PcZone what seems like yeeears ago. But, it may well look completely different now for all I know!

21. JayeRandom says:

There is no way an Abrams crew can reload the main gun in 2 seconds. 5 or 6 seconds at best.