Hard Trucking, Now In Europe

By Jim Rossignol on August 6th, 2008 at 1:08 pm.

Can the upcoming Euro Truck Simulator really deliver the same open-road mythos as its predecessor, 18 Wheels Of Steel: American Long Haul? I can’t see how it can: even the name is less interesting. And European lorries are rubbish. 18 Wheels, incidentally, is the greatest trucking game ever conceived – a bit like Elite if it were based an American road-lore film starring Patrick Swayze. It’s the only haul ‘em up I’ll ever need. Don’t believe me? Play the demo and tour the sinisterly miniaturised America in your grand “rig”.

Euro Truck Simulator will be published in the UK on the 29th of August.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Chris Evans says:

I’m so excited! And I just can’t hide it! :D

2. Jim says:

I’m going to give the demo a shot, I always wanted to try a life on the road. If it’s any good I’ll get the collectors edition with free CB radio.

3. Jim Rossignol says:

The most entertaining thing about 18 Wheels is how hard it is to drive safely along American freeways.

4. Hieremias says:

All I remember from the Black Dog film is Meatloaf laughing maniacally and quoting scripture while recklessly driving an 18-wheeler around a truck stop parking lot.

5. ascagnel says:

@Jim Rossignol: It’s not just 18 Wheels, its real life too. But I live in New Jersey, and we “can’t drive.”

That said, I’m all over random games like this. At least once CivRev/Civ4 let me out of their collective clutches.

6. Deuteronomy says:

Can you get out of the truck and play the game as a first person shooter?

7. Bobsy says:

Rubbisher trucks, sure, but I’d far rather cruise around perilous narrow alpine roads in Central Europe than long, dull American Interstates.

8. Dinger says:

The Bologna-Firenze Autostrada. With crashcam it otta be pretty good.

9. hydra9 says:

American trucks are much better.

Totally agree with the ‘Elite’ comment.

And I have to say right now, how AWESOME SCS Software (creators of these fine games) are. They take the unlikeliest genres and produce really fun, well-made games – Bus Driver, for instance! Who would have imagined a slow, methodical bus driving simulation would be so fun? That’s another demo you should download.

Also, I never would’ve tried a hunting game, but these guys made it fun with Hunting Unlimited. A hunting game? They also created a great and pretty darn scary shark-harpooning title, a relaxing undersea screensaver/’game’ (Ocean Dive)… I think I’d trust them with anything (though trucks, buses and wild animals seem to be their forte).

[Note: I'm not paid by SCS Software to endorse their products. I'm just a bit of a fan.]

10. Five says:

Why does this interest me so much?

Going to see how my computer handles the demo

11. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Now, if only a game combined all of those elements into one!

12. malkav11 says:

I confess to being peculiarly drawn by these games. I’ve yet to actually play any of them, but the core concepts sound like they could really be quite interesting. There’s just always something else more guaranteed to be exciting waiting for my attention.

(I may very well wind up playing Hard Truck Apocalypse, though. It looks like about as close as I’m going to get to a post-apocalyptic car combat RPG with the demise of Auto Assault.)

13. hydra9 says:

@malkav11:
    I’m actually playing Hard Truck Apocalypse at the moment. It is a peculiarly relaxing, somewhat simplified version of Elite. With trucks. It can get a bit repetitive and the combat is pretty simplistic, but that was true of Elite/Frontier, as well. At the same time, I’m finding it highly addictive, and there are *lots* of different parts and weapons you can add to your truck. Not the most amazing game in the world, but definitely a solid and enjoyable one.
    [Note: If you live in America, you can pick up a copy at Half Price Books for $4!]

14. malkav11 says:

I actually paid $1 at Half-Price, but thanks. :)

15. SixStringSamurai says:

Youre Win!

16. david says:

I have got euro trucks and also got 18 wheels of steel long haul, and I must say 18 wheel have stopped me using the other one, no contest, however 18 wheels could of had some good little things added ie when using the hand brake and foot brake it would of been nice to hear the air sound.