Warhammer Online Gets Release Date

By John Walker on August 6th, 2008 at 1:44 pm.

It was a draw at the Silly Hat Contest.

As one MMO dies, another is born. Warhammer Online: Age Of Reckoning (or WoAoR as I prefer to say) has finally shouted out a release date: 18th September, 2008.

How much will it cost to play a month, you cry? Read on.

It was a three-way tie at the Even Sillier Hat Contest.

The pricing structure is as follows:

- 1 month for 12.99€ (£10.31)

- 3 months for 35.97€ (£28.55)

- 6 months for 65.94€ (£52.34)

We’re not sure at this point if the UK will get charged in Euro, or if this is simply a quick conversion and the Brits will get their own Pound amount. WoW costs 12.99€, but only £8.99 in the UK. We’ve asked, and they’re looking into it.

(Trying to figure out who to ask about WAR is utterly confusing. The game, developed by Mythic, and then EA Mythic, isn’t being published in Europe by EA. Oh no, that would be too easy. GOA (who are in turn a branch of Orange) are taking care of that. And the PR, that’s being done by EA… and GOA… oh, and the madly named Indigo Pearl. Frankly, that they managed to coordinate a release date is a fine achievement on its own.)

No one was a winner at the Silly Shoulderpad Contest.

The announcement goes on to say, also muddling Euro with the archaic Pound Sterling,

From the 28th August, the regular edition of the game can be pre-ordered at 5€ (£3.97), and this special pre-order pack will entitle players to a key for ‘Live Game Head Start’ access ahead of the full commercial release on the 18th September, as well as bonus in-game items. The regular edition of the game will be priced at 49.99€ (£39.69) RRP with a 30-day subscription included.

Which seems an astonishingly high price for a PC game, especially with a monthly sub on the end. Hopefully this is in fact not true. For reference, GAME currently has the game priced at £35 for the RRP (and £27 from them, cheapness fans).

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. The Poisoned Sponge says:

I’m just hoping Guild Wars 2 is a huge success so everyone can lose the whole subscription model thing all together. It’s absurdly contrived in my opinion, and just another way to squeeze the pockets of the end consumer.

2. John Walker says:

I think the idea of having your pockets squeezed sounds quite nice.

3. edward blake says:

Well the Collectors Edition is £59.99 so…

4. The Poisoned Sponge says:

John, I’m not sure that counts as a pocket… more a pouch…

5. Noc says:

It’s a silly helm contest, for shame.

But what happened to free trials? Letting people noodle around in a risk-free manner for a few weeks is historically one of the good ways to inject some players into an MMO.
    And since the MMO model sort of relies on a good-sized influx of people coming in right off the bat to populate the servers . . . why are they starting by instituting a barrier to entry? The necessity of subscriptions at all aside, I’m much more likely to play a game that lets me noodle around for a week before it asks me for fifteen dollars than I would one that charges me fifty bucks for the privilege of trying it out.

I understand the logic behind selling it in a box at the time of release; conventional retail wisdom suggests that that’s when most of your sales will be, and that they’ll be based off the expectation rather than the experience. So I see why it would make sense to charge more at the beginning, then sneak in a free trial later on if it’s necessary.

But isn’t a numerous and robust playerbase a necessity? New MMOs have a nasty habit of doing the “fizzle out after a couple months as people lose interest” thing, and I would’ve thought that the folks behind it would want to do everything they can to prevent that.

6. iainl says:

Still, that’s a particularly fine moustache on the guy in the last screenshot. That’s got to be worth a few quid a month on its own?

7. Diogo Ribeiro says:

If you want fine mustaches, look no further than Portuguese policemen. And they’ll twirl it stylishly – for free!

8. Ben Abraham says:

September 18? That’s so soon! I was expecting November or something… was I just horribly mistaken about how finished the game was? I seem to recall hearing “Late 2008″ bandied about somewhere… September’s now ‘late’? (I guess Christmas does start earlier every year now). Sorry, rambling a bit.

9. cyrenic says:

They’re going to be cutting it rather close with this date, I think, but the game itself has some really promising features; namely Public Quests and leveling through PvP. Hopefully they have a good launch.

10. Sturmrabe says:

No one cares what the pound to Euro rate is, if you inbred islanders won’t get with the times you can all run off one of your fabled white cliffs for all the rest of the world cares

Dollars and Euros make the world go round

11. cullnean says:

@Strumrabe

clearly the ravings of a madman

12. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

I wish my Dollar made the world go round rounder.

I can’t believe it costs more than a buck for one freaking bag of Haribo. I mean honestly.

13. John Walker says:

I did some maths the other day and worked out that (after you’ve converted pounds for dollars and UK gallons into US gallons) in the UK we’re paying $13/gallon of gas. So you be grateful for those Haribo.

14. Spludge says:

Any word on the Australian Subscription price? The AUS dollar is doing quite strong against the greenback compared to a few years ago, and it didn’t drop the price of games here any, so I’m loath to do a straight conversion from the US price.

15. The Poisoned Sponge says:

More than a buck for haribo? It’s over a pound here! That’s like… two bucks!

16. Gap Gen says:

I did some maths the other day

Honestly, my job would take twice as long without Google calculator.

17. John Walker says:

Ok, ok, I did it all in a Google search bar.

18. arqueturus says:

Orange as in the mobile phone company?

19. Dexton says:

I like how there is no plural for the Euro, at least they don’t use one in Europe.

20. Anesthesia says:

Joy! I’ll probably buy a 6-month card once the initial 30 days runs dry.

Then again, I’m in the US enjoying the people complaining daily about the 4$/gallon gas prices.

Pocky is expensive though.

21. darkripper says:

Dexton: in Italy we say ‘euri’

22. araczynski says:

i agree with poisoned sponge, i’m done with the monthly fee games. hope guild wars 2 works out.

23. DragonSix says:

Strange… developers tend to forget the thing that made WoW ultra successful at launch: it had tons of free and very open beta testing before the release.
    I didn’t had lot of interest until I tested it by myself. And it is the same for any other MMO. I won’t pay if I don’t know if it’s good.

24. Shiznit says:

DragonSix,

You make a good point, but you forget that tons of open beta testing can kill an MMO if it’s no good, you don’t want that many people knowing how bad your game is before it even comes out and you get to recoup some of the development costs with initial sales. At this point they probably just want to make a profit any way they can, the preorder beta access scheme is part of that. If they were really confident in this game being great they would have a longer open beta, not to mention they had to cut major features to squeeze it in before the Wrath of the Lich King.

25. danarchist says:

Heh the greatest thing is with current mmo launches everyone wants to compare em side by side with the paragon that is WoW. Ironically Wow’s servers went up and down more often than Paris Hilton on spring break for the first two weeks. I got carpal tunnel retyping my password to try and log back in. The beta was actually more stable than the release! Allowing beta testing is somewhat mandatory and is ingrained in their marketing now, but far too many people (including reviewers!) base there opinions of a game on beta impressions. Which in my opinion is totally freaking clown shoes. Don’t judge a book by it’s cover, especially before the damn inks dry!

26. Diogo Ribeiro says:

I guess Paris Hilton is the new benchmark for… Well, everything.

27. Harlequin says:

Paying a monthly subscription doesn’t bother me. Paying it for an underdeveloped, unfinished piece of trash does. I’lm looking at you, Age of Conan…

Anyway, I like the Warhammer franchise, but I’m going to wait at least 6 months on this one. If it’s a thriving metropolis and running in a relatively stable fashion, then perhaps I’ll jump on board.

Too bad it isn’t 40K :(

28. danarchist says:

Too bad it isn’t 40K :(

If I could tattoo that on the warhammer developers forheads I would. We already had a glut of fantasy crap out there, I mean im cool with it, its just been done to death! Now throw me in a space marine power suit or let me warp around as a warpspider and you not only have my money, but every waking moment, my relationship, and what passes for my social life.
    The last sci fi out that I actually enjoyed was Anarchy online, and that after it was out for a year or more. There hasn’t been anything even close since then. 40k has ALWAYS been the most popular of the two systems and book series etc also. I have no idea what stoned marketing guy thought to go with fantasy first.
    Wonder how many Gotrek’s were going to see in the first week ;)

29. WhiteRabbit says:

@ Shiznit: Just because it’s not WoW doesn’t mean it’s crap. Darn fanbois . . . if you actually looked at it, you would realize that the content cut made the game better, not worse.

Also, about the whole monthly fees for games . . .

Many people like WoW because it is huge. It is huge, because the developers are constantly receiving money, which means they can make more content for the game more often.

Guild Wars is a good game, but it lacks the amount of new content a monthly subscription MMO frequently comes out with.

Most new MMOs don’t have trials. Age of Conan didn’t. I probably would have given it a try, but I heard so much crap about it before they were planning on starting trials that I’m not going to.

I think Mythic is planning on giving out free trials eventually, but not right at the start.

30. ID says:

I have been DAOC since 2001. It pretty much DAOC with out the problems of having 3 realms and it looks like stable game i really wish they would put out the system requirements for the retail game instead of the min. But comparing this game to wow is realy hard because this much more pvp base than wow pve

31. Shiznit says:

@ WhiteRabbit

Where did I say that that WoW is great? Just because I pointed out the negative effects of an open beta when you have a game to sell that might not necessarily live up to expectations or match the competition doesn’t make me a fanboy. I also never said that cutting content made the game worse, but merely that it was done to get it out in time before the WOTLK or it would have zero chance of success. But hey, whatever makes you feel better… funny how people make assumptions about what others think on the internet without any logic to it.

32. Shawn says:

Wait a sec, I need some help here.

I’m in the states, I pre-ordered it a little while back since they’ve been saying all along that pre-orders get access to the “beta”, guessing that’s a month before release. Is this not the case anymore? If not, I’m canceling the pre-orded for now. I’m with many of you in that, if they want my $50 for the box, they’re going to have to let me test drive this thing for a bit to see how I like it. If they dropped the beta for “head start” access deal, then forget about it. I’d rather wait for a few months to see what others reactions are, pick up the box for $30 and be on my way, if it’s any good.

Does anyone have any further info on this? Thanks all.

33. Tichinde says:

Open Beta access and Live headstart. You get both with the CE box.
    Fair looking forward to this to be honest. WoW encompassed my gaming life for 4 years before raiding actually bored me.
    Lets see if a different style of end-game works for me :D

34. Spamjuggler says:

@Sturmrabe

2 world wars and 1 world cup, doo dah.. doo dah..

35. cyrenic says:

@shawn

If you pre-ordered the Collector’s Edition, they’re going to start inviting CE pre order people into the beta next week. You also get a “preview weekend” (I’m assuming that’s the start of open beta, but before anyone else gets in) and the open beta, then the headstart before the actual game release.

More detailed info from Mark Jacobs can be found here: http://vnboards.ign.com/warhammer_online_age_of_reckoning_general_board/b22997/108139367/p1/?2

36. Kanakotka says:

I don’t see why people cry about the monthly wages so very much, have they ever kept up a server and a connection that receives such massive buttfuck of a connections at one time? It costs money, dough. The only reason why guild wars is able to do it non-cost-subscription is because most of the guild wars game happens either on your puter alone with minimal connection to the server, or in a TCP/IP / Torrent (i don’t actually know) network among your party with only single string of connection back to the main server.

37. Shawn says:

Cyrenic, according to all the preorder sites in the US, ordering the Standard edition will grant you open beta as well. That’s what I’m trying to figure out. I know the CE gets it.

38. cyrenic says:

Yes, pre-ordering the regular game will get you open beta as well. A lot of people have canceled the CE pre-order since learning this. Having a CE pre-order will get you into beta a couple weeks sooner, though.

39. Harlequin says:

@ danarchist

I hear you loud and clear. I am so tired of the fantasy genre with regard to the MMORPG style of game. Flogging a dead horse doesn’t even describe it.

I know many gamers who play WoW, but would gladly leave if “a half decent sci-fi MMO came out.”

Also, doing another fantasy game seems like a poor business choice to me. Why try to compete with other fantasy genre games when you could do sci-fi and have relatively little (if any) competition?

40. malkav11 says:

Beta != free trial.

And the preorder-for-beta-access thing is not even remotely new – that’s how I beta-tested City of Heroes back in, what, 2003? If you’re excited about the game, preordering gets you a bonus taste and them some server stress-testers. If not, well, you can either wait for a free trial offer post-launch (they’d better do one), or apply to get into the closed beta just like everyone else did. If you didn’t get picked, like I didn’t, well…sucks to be us, no? But betas are for testing and bug-fixing, not (primarily) to try the game for free, even if that’s how many of us tend to use them.

What I *don’t* like is when a company invites beta-testers, gets a bunch of free work out of them, and then says “Oh, well, to keep testing you’ll have to preorder.” DDO, for example. They invited me into alpha-testing, got my input for months, and then my computer broke down and I come back to find that I’ve been summarily ejected in favor of johnny-come-latelies with better cash-flow.

PS: A 40K MMO is in development, by someone else.

41. Spludge says:

Can’t see a 40K MMO working with the fluff, to be honest. Space marines are supposed to be pretty rare things (Estimates are about 50K loyal marines, in the entire universe), so you probably couldn’t have them as PCs.

NOt to mention that most Sci-fi MMOs have been less than spectacular. True, we’re not spoiled for examples. But even a license isn’t enough to guarantee a user-base (SWG anyone?)

Pretty much, I can only see one company with the franchise and experience to make a good, viable Sci-fi MMO. And they don’t much want to cannibalize their WOW user-base

42. Noc says:

I think a 40k MMO would work, but I also think that it would have to abandon a lot of the existing MMO’ry logic. Most MMOs are designed to help guide the player comfortably through a ladder of advancement . . . you’re guaranteed a string of rewards to keep you working at the grinding thing, for instance. PvP in most PvP-centric MMOs tends to have similar rewards. Few penalties for dying, for example; the only way to go is “up,” because it’s not fun for people if they’re not accomplishing anything.

This is not what I would want from a WH40k MMO. The Grim Darkness of the Far Future should not be comfortable and player-friendly; I don’t want to see Imperial Guard troops with boosted hitpoints and better armor to keep them from being cut down like wheat. I don’t want to spend ANY time leisurely farming squigs.

Having players play as squad commanders instead of individual soldiers might help this. So you could buy and recruit squads like you buy ships in EVE; Imperial Guard soldiers are paper-thin, but they’re also dirt cheep. When you join your squad to others to form an army, you get something that looks functionally similar to a proper 40k army. You spend time training up your command skills, to get better weapons and better morale for your folks, and access to more powerful squads. All in all, I’m seeing something pretty EVE like in execution, except without the spaceships.

It would require some innovation, though; some trying things that haven’t really been seen in MMOs before, and some smart thinking about how to juggle awesome, horrendously destructive PvP with a learning curve that doesn’t smack new players in the face. The problem, though, is that innovation on this sort of scale isn’t something that happens very often in MMOs . . . and never, I don’t think, with licensed properties.

Also, doesn’t Relic/THQ own the WH40k videogame license?

43. WhiteRabbit says:

@ Shiznit:

Sorry if I misunderstood you, but if you re-read your post, it sounds like you are severely trashing the game, and the people that mostly do that are WoW fanboys. Also, the devs didn’t want to cut anything. They told EA they are going to need a few more months to make things work right. EA said no. They had no choice but to make the best out of it. Since then, they comletely revamped how the cities and the endgame works.

It may have been to get the game out before WotLK, but that wasn’t the dev’s decision, that was EA’s. Also, They are extremely confident that this game is going to change the way people look at MMOs for the better. It’s gonna be a great game.

About the beta and pre-order stuff:

@ Cyrenic’s comment

If you bought the CE just for the open beta access, you are crazy. That’s an extra $30 just for one month of play that gets wiped. Pre-ordering the CE gives the exact same benefits as pre-ordering the standard edition, but the CE is awesome because of all the other stuff that comes in it.

And for those wanting info, CE pre-order customers get into the closed beta this weekend. They are sending out the invites in waves all this week so you can start downloading the client. Thing is, open beta starts next week, so we don’t get in much before them. Also, CE pre-orders get into the headstart just a little bit earlier.

44. Mullen27 says:

Do you get the 30 day free payment, only from the EA store or from everywhere?

Comment on this story