Yeah, Just Another Halo 1 Patch

By John Walker on August 7th, 2008 at 4:44 pm.

I think it's never too late to think up new Master Chief/Master Chef jokes.

How’s about this for after-sales support. Gearbox have just patched Halo: Combat Evolved. Yes, the first one. The 1.08 patch for the five year old game removes the need for a CD to be in the drive when you play (a tacit nod to freedom?) and fixes some bugs for online play.

Shack spotted the fix added to their own Fileshack, which will become required for online play from tomorrow. Anyone out there still playing?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Haroshi says:

I did play it on mac about a year ago for a while… I soon stopped.

2. The Hammer says:

Mister Chef!

3. Pavel says:

Played and finished in co-op on xbox in 2001, played and finished on pc in 2006.

Tried Halo 2 on XP, worked flawlessly, but due to insanely small FoV (field of view), I could not play it.Too zoomed in and ugly.

4. Ben Hazell says:

Have been playing it through co-op with my flatmate on 360 for a few weeks now, picked it up for £3 or something. Weak. Endless identical corridors, awful vehicles, crap feel. I suspect we won’t finish it.
    Another game I’ll never understand…

5. ascagnel says:

Sweet… Another no-disc patch. And for a game I own. Might be worth another spin, since its >1GB to install. Hell, this was one of the last games released on a single CD for PC.

6. Diogo Ribeiro says:

In their haste to catch the money train, Bungie seems to have lost the clue one.

7. heliocentric says:

curious, probably bug fixes found during the “x box originals” halo 1 development. Wish coop had made the jump to pc, it turned a totally average game into something worthy of fans.

8. Jonas says:

I am reminded of Bioware, who recently released a ridiculously huge amount of new content for the 6 years old Neverwinter Nights. That too is some pretty good support. And of course they removed the CD check from NWN years ago :P

But yeah, good on Gearbox.

9. Warthog2k says:

I have a NoCD checker for NWN2 also – if my PC detects the game disc it’s ejected instantly. Never understood how they could take such a great game, develop it for years then it turns out uglier and less playable than the original.

10. James G says:

@Jonas

I was just about to mention the NWN patch. Bioware also recently released a bit of information about the development of Baldurs’ Gate, to celebrate the ten year anniversary, which may be interesting to some people.

I’d link to it, but am having trouble finding it again.

11. heliocentric says:

they are drumming up memories for dragon age? Guess thats what the halo patch kinda is halo 3 pc incoming?

12. Paul Moloney says:

I just bought the original Halo – saw it cheap on the Asda site of all places – but am still awaiting delivery. Nice they patched it just in time!

P.

13. Five says:

Last time I checked the Halo PC demo was still being played online by a lot of people. It does include the best map (Blood Gulch) so I am not surprsied.

14. cyrenic says:

I remember trying the first Halo PC demo when it came out. It was unplayably buggy. That was the last I ever messed with Halo on a PC :P.

15. Steelfist says:

Halo CE is easily my favorite of the series.

16. KindredPhantom says:

Halo Pc mulitplayer is pretty fun for a five year old game, it’s the reason why it’s still in my collection.
    Though i haven’t been on it in quite a while.

17. Narvi says:

Hooray! Now I can play Halo online without the disc! Finally! Been waiting in anticipation for five years for this! Now to play Halo!

18. RichPowers says:

I play TF2 all the time mainly because I’m too lazy to dig up my Battlefield ’42, 2, 2142 CDs. Wish more companies wouldn’t require the CD for online play.

19. rocketman71 says:

It’s nice that they’re removing all these shitty protections.

Wrong game, though.

20. Nero says:

I played through the singleplayer quite a bit, but the same corridors over and over got too much for me so I quit. I might have played one online game. But it’s good for those who still play it I guess.

21. Max says:

I still play this all the time, wonderful game.

22. ascagnel says:

Wait… does this cover the Custom Edition (custom maps, etc.) as well? Now THAT would be amazing.

23. EyeMessiah says:

EVEN if they patch in split screen coop, I still won’t give a damn!

Master Chief? WTF?

But still, points for patches.

24. Alex says:

CD-less Hog races! Woohoo!

Alright, who picked Blood Gulch? *falls off the ledge trying to get the beacon five times, then goes around in last place*

25. kadayi says:

Heh I actually finished Halo 1 just the other week. I’d always wanted to see what the fuss was about so borrowed it off a friend about 2 years back, and intermittently gave it a blast now and then when a spare bit of time came around. Have to say despite the mind numbingly awful endless corridor bits, the overall game was pretty good in terms of plot, etc. The whole 2 guns tactical aspect made it interesting, and it got really fun once I’d encountered the flood. Certainly not a 10 in my book, but I can understand how it is that it received such high praise at the time.

26. alan says:

I still remember a PC Gamer review of Halo that cited (perhaps tongue in cheek, although the score didn’t reflect it) slowdown as being part of an accurate conversion from the Xbox.

It’s a shame they didn’t mention that the game itself was a shambolic port job which barely ran on numerous setups well above and beyond the recommended specs (in my case, roughly 3 times them).

27. SwiftRanger says:

@James G: here is the BG retrospective, tucked away in the 4 million Bioware community members announcement.

As for Halo PC, the multiplayer was pretty sweet but the entire game came out way too late of course. They should have gone for an MMOFPS straight away.

28. CrowPath says:

ascagnel: Yeah, there’s a seperate update for CE here: HaloCE 1.08 Patch

29. Devan says:

Interesting to see gearbox still on it. I remember the modding/mapping tools they were planning to release with the launch. It turned out to be many months before they finally released those, and by that time there were many creative mods and community-made tools.
    I much preferred the PC version of that game, although it really needed the co-op mode.

30. The Shed says:

@Pavel: Very, very good call. The FoV in those games has always pissed me right off, although I never really put my finger on it. Cheers.

Halo: Combat Evolved’s the best one. It was about the gameplay rather than the universe.

31. Charlie says:

Meh. I couldn’t stand the first one or the second one but found the third quite enjoyable. Not a classic or anything but good fun!

32. Kanakotka says:

Oh, i absolutely owned in the first Halo… i actually won the tourney kept here for championship, but back then, was denied access to the tourney abroad because i was a few weeks of being of being 18, which was the required age, so the guy who came second, by far, got the pass… ouch :P

Also, the CE was garbage, it was overhyped and certainly not worth it, even though it seemingly cut the pings in half, it ruined hit detection.

Additionally, i can’t seem to understand the people who whine about “same corridors over and over again” in Halo… what’s up with that? What FPS doesn’t do it? And is “saved time in graphics department, put more time into making it fun” such a grand flaw in design?

33. Rath says:

Fuck me, I started playing it again only last night as I needed a break from Lost Odyssey grind. Odd coincidence.

34. Smileyfax says:

Five years? Pff. 3D Realms, in 2005, released patches for Secret Agent and Crystal Caves, games 14 years old then. (The patches fixed an error which would set the system clock to 100 years in the past).

35. itsallcrap says:

I’ve probably put more hours into this game than anything else on PC ever – mostly the multiplayer.

Finally stopped when TF2 came out, in part because so many of the ‘proper’ players had moved on to other things that it was pretty much impossible to get a game that didn’t feature at least three teamkilling american twelve-year-olds who just swore at everyone.

Revival?

36. R. says:

One of maybe two or three ‘old’ games I still regularly go back to because it’s just so fucking great. If only the sequels, or indeed any combat heavy game that followed, were even half as good.

37. Alarik says:

Yeah, nice step. Even though “3rd party” no-cd “fix” is available for a looong time of course. Pretty good game (Library level aside).

Comment on this story