Divinity 2: The Divinitiestiest of all!

By Kieron Gillen on August 8th, 2008 at 1:00 pm.

Are you playing a role? Because I'm playing a role. Which role are you playing? I'm playing a nice role.

Fans of trad RPGs will be discussing inventories intensely at this news, I suspect. Larian, creators of the awesomely-terribly named Divine Divinity and the less-terribly named Beyond Divinity have confirmed their sequel will be out in “Q2 2009″ and revealed the first load of screenshots. They’re swinging back towards terrible names though – this one’s called “Divinity 2: Ego Draconis”. C&VG leak out a few other details about quest structure and the return of composer Kirill Pokrovsky before getting on with the serious business of a mass of screenshots. Our prediction: we’ll be making a load of jokes about kobolds.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. SwiftRanger says:

Official teaser site has a track from Kirill already, sounds good. :) It’s Belgian, which is always a plus for me, an exception like Beyond Divinity (yukko) proves that rule.

2. jamscones says:

DivDiv was great, for a low budget eurotrash RPG. Beyond Divinity was dreadfully tedious. The best thing about it was the hilariously bad novella by Rhianna Pratchett.

3. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Why not just Draconis Divinity? That sounds a bit better than “title number: subtitle”.

Oh well, sounds better than Space Hack’s former name – “Maximum XV Abraham Strong Space Mercenary”, IIRC.

4. RiptoR says:

I betatested Beyond Divinity back in the days… I live a good 30 minute drive from the Larian Studios building, and got selected as a inhouse betatester.

After betatesting BD, I bought DD and liked it so much I even played through it a couple of times.

I’ve been looking forward to Div2 ever since they released the first teasershots over 2 years ago.

5. houseinrlyeh says:

Um, Kieron, is “teutonic” usually an adjective you use to describe games from Belgium? I don’t think Belgians will be all that glad about it.

Anyway, Divine Divinity was a great (if cheap-looking) game I’ll have to dig out again to prepare myself for D2: ED.

6. Seb Potter says:

I worked with Larian on a project at the BBC, and got to see little bits of Divinity 2 in development whilst at their offices. Didn’t get to see much beyond Oblivion-style outdoor scenes and shiny particles, but that’s not surprising given their early stage of development and their use of the Gamebryo 2 middleware.

7. Jochen Scheisse says:

Vot zee heck! Of cors zey are teutonic! Just ask zem or zee teutons over at Ubisoft! Soon! Peace!

I never played DivDiv, I guess the name put it under my radar.

8. Bananaphone says:

Hurrah! Divine Divinity is one of my favourite RPGs. Hope they keep the amusing voice actors.

9. ortucis says:

Divine Divinity was way better than anything Bethesda or Blizzard have ever done. Didn’t play the sequel but looking forward to this one.

The music was amazing as well.

10. Kieron Gillen says:

Well, Divine Divinity always seemed terribly German in approach. But, yeah, gonna lose it.

KG

11. BrainedOphelia says:

For you, Kieron, ze var is clearly not over.

12. Kieron Gillen says:

Teutonic is just a great word.

KG

13. PleasingFungus says:

I got Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity a while ago as a pack. Couldn’t get more than five minutes through DD, but played for a good bit of BD before I accidentally clicked twice on a cat, saved (!), and incited perpetual, universal cat-on-party warfare. It was more than I could bear.

The above makes little sense. Sorry.

14. Jochen Scheisse says:

Teutonic is just a great word.

Don’t worry, you can always slip it in at the bar when ordering.

15. MetalCircus says:

DivDiv is really a great game, but even on my nth playthrough these days there are things that annoy the piss out of me. I hope they fix them in Div 2 (as has been said, Beyond Divinity was terrible)

I hope they drop the ridiculously hard boss fights though. There’s one boss fight in particular that, even at stupidly high levels is still bastard hard. Less of that, please Larian.

:edit: YES! The music WAS ace!

16. YogSo says:

Maybe I’m just being terribly obtuse here (and as a disclaimer I must say I haven’t played any of the games), but… shoudn’t it be called Divinity 3: Ego Draconis, in any case?

17. Dhruin says:

No. Beyond Divinity was never intended to be a true sequel – just another game set in the same universe. This one is the continuation of the original.

18. DSX says:

Great screens, no GUI yet. Lets hope it’s not so dumbed down for consoles… The art style is reminiscent of The Witcher.

19. WCAYPAHWAT says:

i never left the opening village. i barely went past the first floor of the poorly hidden catacombs. but what time i did spend was rather fun, i must admit. although some dwarf yelled at me for slaying his cattle

Comment on this story