Call of Co-Op: World Of Duty. Trailer War.

By Jim Rossignol on August 9th, 2008 at 12:17 pm.

The next Call Of Duty game, World At War, is all co-operative. This means that you can play along with your friends and relatives and never be alone again. To illustrate its chummy nature there is now a trailer, which shows two folks doing war in the Pacific theatre. It looks pretty good, with excellent jungle and some splendid bazooka action. You can see this trailer beyond the jump. Go!

World Of War is due before Christmas. Vague, I know.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Dr. Quincy says:

Kamakazi troops to suit the setting, or just woefully foolish AI?

2. subedii says:

Might just be me, but I can’t really say that looked all that interesting to me.

3. Dr. Quincy says:

The flamethrower looked interesting, in a smudgy kind of way. I’m not sure I’m particularly comfortable with the screaming, flaming death though.

4. ata says:

That trailer is very 24-esque, the split screen action along with Keifer Sutherland doing the voice acting.

5. LoTekK says:

Ah, so it was Kiefer’s voice. Though it’s not 24 without a “DAMN IT!” in there somewhere. :p

Looked like more of the same ole same ole, though. Flamethrower could add some nice gameplay dynamics, but that remains to be seen, especially with how linear the series tends to be.

6. Valentin Galea says:

The age old problem: gun bobbing and recoil :(

I mean if they didn’t bother to sort it out for this trailer how they gonna put the extra effort to top COD4…

7. phuzz says:

I’m not sure why, but the usual FPS traits of being able to carry as many weapons as you like, and not really having to worry about where your fire (literally in this case) is going seemed really out of place in this setting. I think because the graphics look pretty realistic (loved that fighter coming down through the wires, very cinematic), the unrealistic parts stood out a mile.

8. po says:

Yep they gun bob looked rubbish. Even Doom had it better.

It’s about time the player model was actually an in game object and the viewpoint was on it’s face, so looking around you could see parts of yourself, and your view would be dependant on the physics of the model.

Mirrors Edge really impressed me in that it’s the first game I’ve seen where that’s possible. HL2 made me laugh by looking down and finding I’m the invisible man who somehow casts a shadow.

The controls may be tricky for a lot of people, but it would also be nice to have view separated from turning motion to an extent, like in ArmA, and WoW. I couldn’t get the hang of it in ArmA (too new a concept, and after months of BF2), but in WoW I’m happy looking in one direction while turning the other (I play a fair bit in FPS view mode, and spend a lot of time in BG).

9. subedii says:

Minor nitpick, but I’m pretty sure you don’t cast a shadow in HL2. You never see your own reflection either (the devs were very careful about that one, whatever mirrors you come across are always broken, and you can’t see your reflection in the water due to the viewing angle).

10. DeliriumWartner says:

Disappointing. With the (slight) exception of the first scene, where the hell was the atmosphere? The reasons I loved COD2 and COD4 were the atmosphere and the characterization of your teammates. So far, this has shown me nothing worth a second look.

Is it just me, or was that whole final battle utterly devoid of point? Totally run and gun, with no evidence of, well, anything.

Also, terrible terrible guerilla troops. Seriously.

11. MetalCircus says:

The gun bob is shite, so that means this game is shite too.

Do you guys realize how ridiculous you sound? Anyways, i predict the same old war-type stuff, but now with decent voice acting.

12. subedii says:

@MetalCircus

I think you may be over-extrapolating from some people feeling that heavy gun-bob is irritating to them as saying that the entire game is rubbish as a result.

13. Real Horrorshow says:

@po

Crysis, F.E.A.R., Halo 2 & 3, and probably a dozen or more other games have done the “visible body” thing already. Mirror’s Edge is not a pioneer in that respect.

14. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Nothing really brings a family together like telling stories around scorched Nazi corpses.

15. Cigol says:

The gunbob is because what you are seeing is on a console. It’s a console game and gunbob is not suited to console controllers. Just a fact of life really. Oh and, plenty of games have had realistic viewpoints long before Mirrors Edge.

16. Arnulf says:

But have they done it really well? I remember Thief 3 and it was not very convincing there. Mirror’s Edge on the other hand seems to got it right, though. From the looks of it anyway. can’t say until I’ve played ME myself.

17. Noc says:

Didn’t you guys already post this? And apparently, it was two months old back then, too. Go figure.

Anyways, Deus Ex 3 is looking pretty cool. I hear they released some new concept art for it.

18. subedii says:

I thought Crysis did a really good job on the “full body realism”. They even had animations for where if you strength jumped against a wall your hands would press out in front of you and push against the wall you collided with. When driving a vehicle you can clearly see your characters hands as they react to your inputs.

Makes me wish sometimes that they’d drop the pretence and give Gordon Freeman a pair of feet. He’s already got a pair of hands, we known what he looks like anyway, so why not go the whole way?

19. James T says:

Thief 3′s the only one I can think of, and IIRC, Garrett’s “eyes” were situated so far ahead of their modelled counterpart that I was about three quarters through the game before I discovered there was meant to be a visible body at all. Even if it was done better, it might be hard to get the weapons to stay onscreen if your guy is holding them naturally (this was a problem while running around in Thief 3, as I recall)

Do you guys realize how ridiculous you sound?

I know how you sound, is that close enough?

20. MetalCircus says:

/me sighs…

Well, the game’s looking alright anyway.

21. Jamie says:

kamakazi troops are going to scare the shit out of me

22. Real Horrorshow says:

@Arnulf

F.E.A.R. did it exceptionally well. The melee attacks ruled.

23. subedii says:

The promise of ballistic action and slow motion bicycle kick takedowns are perhaps the only reasons I’m interested in Project Origin.

Which works just fine for me. :)

24. mans inhumanity says:

It apparently does splitscreen (on console anyway), which is probably enough to make it worth buying despite being yet another episode of antiques roadshow (aka WW2 game).

25. Dracko says:

Unrelated, but someone here should blog about this pronto, as it’s very important!

Jordan Mechner is doing an adaptation of his very own Prince of Persia!

This is the most exciting piece of surprise news in both gaming and comics I’ve heard in a while!

26. sothisishd says:

Awesome headline Jim. Awesome headline.

27. Tom says:

don’t know what it is about COD games but they’ve just never done anything for me. There never feels like there’s any real freedom in these games. You’re just hustled from one fire fight to another. For me I doubt even coop play (which I adore) will help. It all just feels a little too choreographed.

28. roBurky says:

The title for this post amused me.

29. araczynski says:

i know i’m a dying breed here, but i only play games for the solo side, after that it goes back to ebay.

too many good games out there between all the systems to waste time playing one for too long.

30. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Dracko:

Actually, you can email the guys at contact@rockpapershotgun.com if you’ve got a scoop.

And I think this counts as a real scoop. Hot damn!

31. N'Al says:

Chronicles of Riddick and Dark Messiah both did the “visible body” thing as well.

32. The Shed says:

The first game I ever saw do it was Thief 3. It was so damn impressive (it made an impresson on me at least; I’d been waiting for that step for so long). As a guy said on another thread, Halo’s FOV is what destroys it, although Thief’s eye situation is a bit weird as well. That’s just so you don’t look down into the black stump of your own neck.

33. Erlam says:

I’m sorry, but I just think this game looks fucking awful. ‘Kamikaze’ troops are a terrible cover for bad A.I.

And COD games in general give this bizarre pretense of realism, and then give you regenerating health.

But there’s co-op, so two people will defeat an entire army, not one.

34. cyrenic says:

The kamikaze guys did look terrible. Almost laughably bad. Especially the idea that these guys are hiding in all that camouflage just so they can jump out of the bushes and rush at you.

35. The Tall One says:

I’m not all that impressed. Also, Matt sucks.

36. Andy says:

Can you play Co-op on the same console, split screen, with this game? Or does it have to be complete separate cosoles?

Comment on this story