Crysis Heads to War In September

By Alec Meer on August 13th, 2008 at 10:10 pm.

So we’ve got a release date for Crysis Warhead, the… yep, I’m gonna say it. You can’t stop me from saying it… expandalone for last year’s system-eating FPS. It’s September 16th – in America. In Europe, it’s September 12th.

Which is a) great news for we oft-second-fiddle Eurotrash and b) steeeeeeeyoooooooooopid – or at least it is so long as you subscribe to the theory that staggered release dates can increase piracy. It’ll be an interesting situation to watch, at any rate.

Warhead, if you didn’t know, chronicles the exploits of cockerneeee geeza Psycho (Jason Statham with worse teeth, essentially) while Nomad, the characterless player character from Crysis, is off running into annoying aliens and awful helicopter levels in the first game. There have been hints it’ll be a lot more immediate than Crysis was – which probably means more direct action and less hiding in the bushes waiting for your suit to recharge. Plus more explosions. It’s also supposed to run a little more smoothly, which would be nice. I managed a few minutes of juddery Crysis at its higher settings for curiosity value, but soon had to resort to mostly Medium settings (on an 8800 GTS), which felt horribly disappointing despite my attempts not to a be a graphics junkie. Admittedly I haven’t revisited it since the patch, which I believe improved performance a little.

Also included is Crysis Wars, a new multiplayer component. I’m going to quite the press release here as I won’t really have a good sense of this until I see it:

Crysis Wars features three multiplayer modes, including TeamInstantAction, a new match type that mixes fast-paced action in a team-based environment, in addition to the insanely frenetic gameplay style of InstantAction and the hardcore team-based PowerStruggle, both of which return from Crysis. The game will include 21 maps, six new maps for TeamInstantAction and InstantAction, and one for PowerStruggle and Crytek will also have a support team dedicated to meeting the needs of the Crysis Wars community.

So there you go. Jim really dug Crysis but I have to say I didn’t particularly get on with it, bar milking the demo for all it was worth. While I’m not expecting great changes from Warhead, I’m hoping this time I’ll feel more like SuperGuy and not just ABitBetterThanSomeKoreansoldiersGuy.

Oh, there will be aliens in it, which may cause some of you to howl in despair, but I’m sure lessons will have been learned this time around.

More info on the official site.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Bhlaab says:

geez medium? you run a pc gaming blog for crying out loud

2. Optimaximal says:

Was that pun intentional?

3. Colthor says:

That was exactly my mild disappointment with Crysis.

Must’ve been ‘cos I was playing it on mostly Medium too.

4. Sax says:

Interesting, I played the demo with an 8800GT and an QuadCore on “High”.
    What CPU have you got?

5. Chris R says:

I loved Crysis, being able to hide in the bushes with cloak on, giving enemies wedgies as they passed by…. oh the hours of fun I had. That suit acted as a “get out of jail” card; I could duck behind some cover, go invisible and sneak out before the Koreans had a chance to figure things out.

I basically played the game like a game of “hide and seek”… with guns. Well… for the first 2/3rds of the game, although I didn’t mind the last part of the game so much.

Oh, and visit this site to squeeze every last ounce of performance from your machine. http://www.tweakguides.com/Crysis_1.html

This site helped me tweak the settings until I could run everything on High with an average of 30-40 FPS. 8800GT too.

6. Colthor says:

@Sax:
    Core2 E6300 @ 2.7GHz
    Graphics are Crossfire X1900XTs, which are between half to one 8800GT depending on drivers/luck.

Just in case you didn’t mean Alec >.>

7. Ray says:

Hopefully the game will have a limited alien presence compared to the first one – I really enjoyed the feeling of freedom of taking out the Koreans, being able to go in all out, guns blazing, or cloaking and taking key targets down silently, but once the aliens entered the game I found it all just devolved into a sub par linear shooter that really didn’t live up the first half of the game.

8. Tom says:

I really enjoyed the majority of Crysis. Depends on how you played it I suppose.
    Bizarrely I enjoy it even more now with a 360 controller… weird I know but it forces you to be more tactical. You can’t just run in and rely on your mouse/keyboard ninja reflexes.
    I play everything with my 360 pad now… everything. Crysis, Half Life etc… it rocks. Changes your game play style dramatically in to something which feels more… real I suppose. More cautious anyways.

Plus the ol’ CryLaunch utility rocks! Two words: Super. Punch. Nothing beats pistol whipping a tank in to orbit.

9. Flint says:

Oh god even more must-have (considering my love for the original) September releases.

10. PleasingFungus says:

I only played Crysis a few weeks ago. Was a lot of fun, mostly because of the cloak. (The VTOL mission wasn’t really too bad, except for a few invisible anomalies that sucked me into the ground and killed me; it was the carrier mission after that which earned my ire.) Not certain that the promises of “more direct action” is something that I’m interested in.

We’ll see, I guess.

11. malkav11 says:

Lessons learned? I dunno about that. People bitched incessantly about the trigens in Far Cry and what did they do with Crysis? Yep, aliens.

12. The Sombrero Kid says:

@Sax

same with 4gb of ram i could crank some of the stuff to very high and get 30fps

13. Optimaximal says:

Well, it wasn’t Trigens, was it! :)

14. Ian says:

Crysis is most fun when you come up with inventive ways to kill the soldiers.

My favourite was, when you get the mission about the first transmitter, tossing a guy into the air so he goes crashing through the roof of the house. This will alarm the guards and some reinforcements turn up in a jeep. Stealth up to the jeep, shoot the gunner and then drive straight into the house, knocking a wall in. Cloak, get out of the car and sneak away. Then shoot the gas tank on the back and watch as the Koreans and the house go boom.

Fun times. :)

15. Joe Russell says:

@ malkav11
    Exactly what I was thinking – I remember reading an issue of PC Gamer where one of the developers said that they realised the mutants in Far Cry were a huge mistake (“They destroyed the core gameplay”) and in the same article introduced the aliens.

16. Half Broken Glass says:

The mutants destroyed the gameplay mostly because they were insanely tough and strong. Aliens in Crysis were a challenge, but manageable – no “What the fuck two rockets and it’s still alive” nonsense. And you could hide from them, where applicable.

Nomad, the characterless player character from Crysis

I think Nomad is one of the more likeable FPS heroes. Mostly because he talks, unlike ninety percent of the competition. I also liked his no-nonsense style and even slight cockiness at times. It’s good to know you’re playing as a guy who knows what the hell he’s there for.

And as a final note, Crysis is a fantastic “Should You Own A PC For Gaming” indicator. That is, anyone bitching about performance of Crysis has no idea what the hell he’s doing. Sad, but true.

17. MeestaNob! says:

I thought the flying bit was great.

And for all you sooks, there wont be many aliens in this one, the Psycho doesn’t seem to talk about them a great deal in the final chapter (which leads me to believe he never saw any/many).

The alien section was great, if a little too long.

18. BJ Blazkowicz says:

Expandalone. Oh wow.

19. phuzz says:

I found in the demo that the 64 bit version ran just that little bit smoother, the 32bit one would stutter every so often.
    YMMV

20. Deuteronomy says:

Yeah I thought Nomad was a great character. Oh my god the Crysis music is starting up in my head again. GET IT OUT OF MY MIND.

21. GeorgeR says:

Whee, more explosions and action, always a great selling point. Considering the bar isn’t ridiculously high for this follow up I don’t think I’ll be let down.

22. Lightbulb says:

Since he said 8800GTS i assume he means the 320 meg (or 640 meg) rather than the newer far more powerful 512 meg version.

The 8800GT (512) is more powerful than the older 8800GTS (320 and 640 meg) ones.

Hence: medium

23. Oddity says:

Crap. I messed up my post. Well, it’s still readable, and the link works.