Carrier Command: Gaea Mission

By Jim Rossignol on August 14th, 2008 at 3:46 pm.

Vehicular-mothership game Carrier Command was tungsten-plated awesome. So it’s splendid that a new Carrier Command game is in the proverbial pipeline. It’s being overseen by none other than Bohemia “ArmA” Interactive in conjunction developers Black Element Software [They made Shade: Wrath of Angels? Hmm]. It’s to be based on the original 1988 Carrier Command and is set in the Gaea Universe, in which human awfulness causes war and stuff.

Gritty sci-fi ahoy! Full release below the jump.

Bohemia Interactive Studio and Black Element Software announce a new multi-platform title, Carrier Command: Gaea Mission. Based on the original Carrier Command released in 1988, and fully licensed and endorsed by its creators, the new game strives to deliver innovative and intense gameplay in a truly next-gen rendition. Carrier Command: Gaea Mission is currently scheduled to be released in Spring 2010 on PC and other popular platforms.

Bohemia Interactive´s CEO, Marek Spanel, explains why the company chose this natural evolution from their current line-up of realistic military shooters, including titles such as Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis and ArmA: Armed Assault:

“When we first heard about the opportunity to develop a game based on the original Carrier Command, we were instantly hooked,” says Spanel. “For us, Carrier Command was not only one of the most innovative games we had ever played but it is also one of the very few games that truly influenced our gaming tastes and motivated us in our own home grown game development, which later materialized in the form of Operation Flashpoint, with similar open ended gameplay and emphasis on a deeply simulated game world.”

“Having the opportunity to create an actual Carrier Command game is not only a great honor for us, but it also allows us to take the legendary title we all love and do it justice with a truly next-gen rendition,” comments Otakar Nieder, the game’s project leader at Black Element Software.

Carrier Command: Gaea Mission is set in the Gaea Universe, with the story adapted from the science fiction trilogy’s second novel, due for publication in 2009. The first volume, Gaea: Beyond the Son, is currently available in hardcover from Helios Publishing.

The game’s story centers on a crew waking from their thirty-year hibernation in the middle of a war that has raged from Earth to humanity’s first colony in another solar system.

“The Gaea Universe offers a realism and depth beyond the usual gaming conventions,” explains David Lagettie, Gaea Executive Producer. Writer Didi Gilson (co-author with partner Phil under the pen name P.D. Gilson) elaborates, “Gaea explores harsh consequences in our future, from dwindling natural resources to the all-too-human talent for war, and how those aggressive instincts can impact our first forays in space colonization.”

“The vivid writing and compelling characters help us set this game in a believable universe and provides a strong Sci-Fi plot for the player’s immersion,” says CEO Spanel.

More details about Carrier Command: Gaea Mission will be revealed during the upcoming Leipzig Game Convention starting 20th of August.

(Gayer mission? Arf.) Thanks to Joachim for the tip. Joachim Awesome, we call him.

, , , .

1. Jaxtrasi says:

CARRIER COMMAND!

2. Kast says:

Nearest thing to a Hostile Waters sequal we’re likely to see. Pleeease let me be wrong and HW2 be announced.

3. newt says:

CARRIER COMMAND!!!

4. Kleevah says:

CARRIER COMMAND!!!

5. Neurook says:

CARRIER COMMAND!!!

6. Duoae says:

I believe that should read ‘tungsten-plated’ :)

What’s carrier command?

7. MaxMcG says:

CAREBEAR COMMAND!!

8. Ravenger says:

I loved carrier command on the Amiga until I worked out a way to complete the game in about 10 minutes. Just set your first island as your supply island. Sail away from the island until you’re just out of range, and the enemy carrier will attack it. Go back and kill the enemy carrier (kamikazi planes are a good way to damage it) and you’ve won the game.

9. Bursar says:

My wishlist would be

- Take the AI and controls from Hostile Waters and allow the Carrier to move.
    - Polish the graphics a bit
    - Job Done

Does the fact that the similarly themed and critically acclaimed (by one of this sites own critics no less) Hostile Waters bombed bode well for this commercially? Discuss…

10. Theory says:

- Take the AI from HW, but dear god not the pathfinding.

Edit: hey, I still have HW installed! :D

11. Beefeater says:

Seriously awesome news.

Carrier Command.

First wish: a tutorial so I don’t crash everything that I try to drive.

Second wish: somewhere selling a digital download of Hostile Waters into the UK.

12. Alexandros says:

Carrier Command sequel! Wonderful news!

13. simbo says:

Hmmm…. Carrier Command….. Did you know the C64 version was the only one that couldn’t handle filled-poly-3D. Even the Speccy version was in 3D. Hee hee.

14. Kieron Gillen says:

Jim and I had to knife-fight over writing this one up. Carrier Command remains a landmark in videogames.

(Hostile was lovely, but very different)

I’m still sad there’s a Hostile Waters multiplayer match in existence that was never released. Boo.

KG

15. phuzz says:

Damnit, another game based on a great old game, by a good studio, with interesting ideas.
    Yet another game that I’m going to be terrified that they’re going to fuck up. In fact, I’d assume this was a cruel april fools joke if it wasn’t august.

16. Homunculus says:

Looks like it’s Make (hopefully) Great New Games Directly Based On Great Old Games day on Rock, Paper Shotgun today. Developers, more of this sort of thing, please.

CARRIER COMMAND!!!

17. Frosty840 says:

CARRIER COMMAND!

18. Isuck Hayes says:

ATC0/ATC1 is the command you’re looking for.

19. no name please says:

For more info see the official page: link

20. Heliocentric says:

so are expecting space or terrestial combat? I’d love a hybrid with cap ships skirmishing at atmospheric combat and bombarding the surface. Ground units swarming over strategic locations with bombers and fighters in either arena. I am still bitter that supreme commander not having a z axis.

21. Alex says:

This is awesome! Btw… how did you guys destroy the evil carrier? I rammed it in a last ditch effort. Ach…. these were the days…

edit: I just wet my pants.

22. tmp says:

currently scheduled to be released in Spring 2010

So in practice 1.5-2 years away. That’s “proverbial hypeline” rather than pipeline at this point. Sorry, but excitement rapidly falling.

23. Ginger Yellow says:

Oh wow. I played the hell out of this on my ST. Never got very good at it, though. A bit like the original Elite on the BBC Micro.

24. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Holy crap. For once, you talk about a classic 80′s game… that I’ve actually played!

I bought a copy on a whim when I was a little kid, and was hooked! Though it took me a while to figure out I could speed up time.

So yeah, that took a while.

25. Gap Gen says:

If they get Warren Ellis to write this too, then I will be very happy. Although it looks like they already have a story, so maybe that’s not such a good idea, given that when Orson Scott Card did Advent Rising, they’d already written the sucktastic storyline and so they wasted all their money and were very stupid. I played Advent Rising until 5am, though, then fell into bed dreaming of punching an endless stream of aliens in the face, so if anything it was an experience.

26. Jubaal says:

Fantastic, I remember hours of fun playing this on my mates Amiga (Hmm or was it Atari ST). It certainly did feel ahead of it’s time back then. Hope they make the sequel do it justice.

Edit: I loved Hostile Waters too and wished that it had a Skirmish mode in it. Good old Patton, I always used to have him heading up my tanks.

27. Morningoil says:

IT’S JUST ANOTHER MISSION

28. Warduke says:

Fantastic news!!! I’ve been telling my brother for years they needed to remake this classic. We spent many many hours on the Atari ST with this one. Now bring on the multiplayer!!

29. go says:

Ohhhhhh!
    The memories!

30. go says:

Wow, i just followed the Wikipedia entry, and tried to get a larger version of that tiny ST screenshot. Then I realized it was in native resolution. 320*200 pixels is damned small on a 1920 resolution monitor…

31. Switch625 says:

(takes deep breath) CARRIER COMMAND!!!
    Of all my formative years’ gameplaying experiences on the Atari ST, Carrier Command remains the most memorable (closely followed by Hunter. Evidently I had a thing for roaming around wireframe archipelagos).

I’ve been keeping an eye out for a modern remake for ages, but until this, the only contender has been this: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/mod/journal/journal.asp?jn=472138 which is looking pretty sweet but is a amateur side-project sort of affair and thus may never be finished (especially now).

32. mister k says:

This is awesome news. Having an Atari ST at the age of 8, I was never very good at carrier command, with my amazing ability to get all my water units (what were they called again? Some kind of animal) destroyed and then no way to progress.

Also, I’m glad someone else in the world has played hunter, a game I adored for the weird free roaming nature and multiple vehicles. My favourite was wind surfing, or alternatively going swimming and getting attacked by sharks! Or attacking the local church in an apc! There was always some kind of mission attached to hunter, which I invariably ignored.

33. Wurzel says:

Aw now I really want to play hostile waters all over again! That was such an awesome game; I have no idea quite how it’s falen between the cracks of gaming culture when contemparies such as deus ex (similar quality I’d say) are still being given budget releases and #2 spots in Top 100 lists. Ah well.

34. Heoga says:

Mister k – They were called Walruses, and the planes were Mantas. This game was brilliant, I still go on about to my friends – who have no idea what I’m talking about. I can’t wait to get my hands on this title.

I imagine the carrier in question is going to be on the oceans of this new colony, would make sense and reflect the original better than a space borne version.

As with previous posters, my method of winning the original was to dive bomb mantas into the carriers engines, after firing off all availble air-to-air missiles, when it showed up at Thermopolyae. That would cripple it, then follow up with a stream of surface to air missiles and then a continual barrage from the carrier’s laser turret.

Ah the glory days, they better not screw this up!

35. Jubaal says:

Just re-installed Hostile Waters for my fix. It’s still alot of fun, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

36. Dinger says:

Well, I wish them luck. As is well known, Bohemia Interactive founders, the Spanel brothers, grew up with Atari STs. The Executive Producer on this project, David Legettie, is known for his work on the soundtrack of OFP (the metalish bits) and for founding Bohemia Interactive Australia (the folks who work with VBS). I see that he is also the “world creator” for the Gaea series of books, which provides the literary world background for the game. The first of those books, written by the Gilsons is what’s listed on the Helios publishing site. As far as I can tell, Helios is a small Australian press that publishes on-demand with the hope of reselling hits to bigger presses. The Gaea book is the first in their series.

So if nothing else, the folks running the game are truly passionate about it, and are imbued with the independent spirit that drives great games as well as idiosyncratic ones. The dark horse is the Black Element/Bohemia Interactive combo. Can they pull it off? It’s a long way from concept art to release, and we’ve yet to hear how they plan to pull this one off.

I guess they’ll be talking more at Leipzig.

37. newt says:

We‘ve been talking to Marek Spanel recently and he sounded passionate about the original game, so hopes are up! It’s targeted as a simulation, albeit not the hardcore ArmA type.