RPS Inches Closer To Notion Of Self Worth

By RPS on August 14th, 2008 at 7:51 pm.

It's ours, we just know it!

It seems there’s more people who enjoy gramatically dubious posts about obscure indie games than you might think. Enough people have mentioned our name for us to be shortlisted in this year’s Games Media Awards, leaving us basking in the adulation of literally dozens.

Up for Best Games Website (which seems fitting), the winners will now be voted for by sending an email to MCV. To this address. We just happen to mention. The full list of nominees are on MCV’s site, all welcoming votes. Congrats to all the journalists nominated, and Tom Bramwell. And big thanks to those who nominated us, you sweeties.

, , .

1. Mo says:

Congrats chaps! I’ll definitely put in a vote for you lot.

2. zanbowser says:

You certainly have my vote, gents. ^_^

3. Tom Francis says:

Almost as importantly, and certainly more important than the next presidential election, I’m a finalist too!

The last time I was a finalist in anything, the only weapon they gave me was a Megaphone, so I hope I at least get the Uzi this time.

4. Noc says:

The REALLY important thing is that when this is all over, we’ll have a lot less game journalists.

If they come through with the Uzis.

5. Rosti says:

That one’s Super Lucky.

6. Kieron Gillen says:

Tom: You are ramraider and AICM£5.

KG

7. Ging says:

I feel bemused that you crazy bath types seemingly call yourselves Team Awesome as a collective… which is the moniker that my group of gaming fellows goes by when mocking those more clanned than ourselves.

Considering how much we mock clanned types, I think we should probably view it as somewhat ironic – as we’re very clan-esque ourselves.

Anyhow, ‘grats – my votes going in for you crazy kids.

8. cliffski says:

Yay, I voted for ya!

9. Esha says:

I think the popularity RPS has found stems from how most British gamers probably feel about reading American news sites. To paraphrase a certain zombie related to a certain middle-Englandian werewolf; they’re boring, RPS!

I have no idea why I require my news to be presented in a dry and witty fashion, but I do. Even if you were rabidly obsessed with the C64 and little else, I’d most likely still only read RPS as my primary source of–ahem–current gaming news. Thankfully howver, you’re not.

At the moment, I’m sure you have quite the rapt audience of clever-news-starved people, use that wisely!

10. SwiftRanger says:

Mail sent.

How is the site going btw? Is it still sustainable and such because I am not seeing ads all the time when I visit RPS.

11. MetalCircus says:

I hope you all bloody lose.

(Not really, big hugs?)

12. sbs says:

…Uzis? What?

13. Jim Rossignol says:

SwiftRanger: the ads are currently undergoing heavy tinkering, they should return to normal next week.

14. RichPowers says:

I put in a vote for RPS (and a write-in for Kieron’s (ex)beard)

15. phanteh says:

I’ve been reading Eurogamer and CVG for quite a while now… Came across RPS by accident a couple of days ago, but you guys are getting my vote!

16. The Hammer says:

Voted!

Hope you win!

17. Raff says:

Zorg’s there as well, excellent.

18. The_B says:

If you win, I say you donate your prize to the science of cloning yourselves a new SUPERWRITER from one of each of your DNA. FOR SCIENCE!

19. ImperialCreed says:

@The_B: Seconded!

Also, congrats RPS. Consider yourselves +1 vote.

20. Alex says:

Voted for RPS, like a good boy. And I voted for mr. Tom Francis too, albeit mostly by accident (not living in the UK ‘n all)..

21. Joinn says:

\o/

You’ve got my vote, after all it’s the least I can do since I’ve been reading your site since stumbling on it in 1874!

22. Jahkaivah says:

Who here also thought the Heavy was going to get a wooden spoon? :D

23. Pace says:

Clearly RPS is the best. I mean, it is the only gaming site I read, but there must be a reason for that. There must be!

24. Willem says:

As long as you beat CVG.

25. James G says:

Voted for you, as well as the Master of Stealth. I felt slightly sheepish skipping out on half the categories though, although thats what comes from 90% of games coverage being dire.

What is great about RPS is that it is both intelligent, but irreverent. Its also fairly civil, outside threads on piracy, Oblivion, Fallout, the death of PC Gaming, EA…

26. Gap Gen says:

Presumably Alex Wiltshire of Edge has been shafted, because Edge don’t put names to their articles, so there’s no way of knowing what he wrote? Or do they do that now?

27. Kieron Gillen says:

Yes, Edge don’t print bylines. It’s an industry magazine though, so many of the people who were voting for the shortlist would be people who’d dealt with Alex during the year, so would be aware of what he wrote. Or it could be journo-peers, who tend to know what’s going on.

KG

28. John Walker says:

Or it was Alex furiously voting for himself. You know those Edge types.

29. Jubaal says:

Aye, thrown a vote your way plus one for Mr Francis and PC Gamer. Good luck

30. hydra9 says:

I’ve been reading RPS devotedly since being introduced to it a few months back. Best game writing on the net and perhaps the only place that pays proper attention to the obscure Russian curios I crave! Therefore, getting my vote.

31. Gap Gen says:

Or it was Alex furiously voting for himself. You know those Edge types.

Yeah, I mean how would you tell? It’s not like they print his name. A thousand anonymous votes and no-one would know!

32. Ben Abraham says:

Voted! I wanted to lie and pretend like I didn’t vote for you guys, thus making a great joke when it was finally revealed that I did… but realised that might get a bit lost in translation. It’s the thought that counts, right?

33. Pseudonym says:

I fulfilled my civic duty by voting for you guys.
    Good luck.

34. Ian says:

Out of interest, what’re people going for for the newspaper one?

I don’t read newspapers these days but I’d be interested to see if any of them are any good at writing about games.

35. Kieron Gillen says:

For my money, the Guardian does the best. And I’d probably say that even if they weren’t known to occasionally give me money.

KG

36. James G says:

I also voted for the Guardian, however I don’t have any real experience with the tabloids to compare them. However the Guardian’s coverage certainly tops any of the ‘broadsheets’ I’ve seen.

37. John Walker says:

I think the Guardian is far and away the best. The Telegraph have just launched games coverage on their site a couple of weeks ago – met the guy who’s doing it the other day and seems a good sort. But no one treats it as seriously as the Grauniad.

38. J-Man says:

Voted for RPS, PCG and Tom Francis. Also, I wanted to vote for Daily Mail D: (just kidding)

39. Down Rodeo says:

Congratulations gents. I’m not sure if you’re aware but for a good while Valve had you listed on their Steam advert for TF2 for a while. International fame, right? Right?

I’ll stick a vote in for you.

Also, John: do I hear a hint of Private Eye? I wouldn’t have thought that it were possible for RPS members to have gone up in my estimation but once again you become more brilliant. Is there a knack to it or what?

40. EyeMessiah says:

I voted for the Metro.

41. John Walker says:

Down Rodeo – what hints of Private Eye do you hear? I’ve had a few stories put in there in recent months, mostly uncredited.

42. jigglybean says:

You’ve got my vote and there wasn’t a bribe in sight!

43. Down Rodeo says:

It was calling it “The Grauniad” that I recognised. And there was me thinking that you were a reader – the fact that you write for it is somewhere north of wow :D

To be fair I haven’t read it much recently (save for yesterday) as I haven’t been taking the train to Edinburgh so much recently. But rest assured, when I go back to Uni I’ll be making regular trips with washing, which is good news for you as my preferred reading material is PC Gamer Private Eye goodness (gets some funny looks that).

Also, having seen the Guardian’s gaming pull-out, I was pretty impressed myself. They do seem to be making an effort. I’ve even StumbledUpon a few of their online articles.

44. The Poisoned Sponge says:

@John Walker

Very nicely played…. do love to see it when a gossip journalist gets the proverbial beat down.

45. Down Rodeo says:

Nice one John. I think I might actually have read that but never made the connection.

And yes, it becomes clear now. I have read that. Never noticed it was you at all.

46. Jonas says:

Hahahahah, gg Daily Mail. That is a hilarious piece of work. I don’t think that article merits more reply than that :P

47. Gap Gen says:

Yeah, I mean no matter how good a games journalist they have, the editorial style as dictated by the readership (or maybe vice versa) will always shit in their chocolate fountain.

48. MetalCircus says:

Knew what it would be about before I clicked it. There was a similiar story running in the Metro the other day about the same game. Fuck sake. Are people really this fucking stupid? I guess they are.

:edit: Just read that article. It was about as informative as licking dogshit.