Mercenaries 2: Macho Explodo

By Jim Rossignol on August 15th, 2008 at 4:00 pm.

Dudes explode, stuff gets kicked, or something. Mercenaries 2 is going all out for this year’s Most Macho Explosion Awards – even if it is a lady carrying the bazooka in this instance – and it demonstrates a level of violence that causes us to make cooing noises under our breath. In fact Kieron came back from a recent hands-on talking about how he was going start drinking protein shakes and wearing a mohawk so that people would take him seriously.

Beyond the jump we see three trailers: rocket-propelled-grenadiering (with some mild car-violencing), jeep theft and… swimming. Can’t get enough of that swimming, eh Olympians? The sandbox shooter with co-op splendidness is due out on 31st August. Strong!

It’s got RPG elements! Haha!

And vehicular elements:

And Earth, Wind and Fire elements:

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Optimaximal says:

GO PLANET!!!

2. phuzz says:

BOOM!
    BADABANG!
    KERBOOM!
    and so on.

3. EyeMessiah says:

Yes, it looks daft, but also very hard to deny.

4. Kitt Basch says:

I gleeed in my pants when they blew up that tree.

Die you green bastards!

5. MacBeth says:

File under: Fun but stupid (alongside Total Overdose)

Also, highly inadvisable to fire a recoilless rifle while standing directly behind it…

6. Steven Hutton says:

looks like it’s got co-op though. Which means we have a winner. Especially if, like me, you loved the first Mercs.

7. Fumarole says:

“This isn’t going to be the best game in the world, but I have a feeling it will be fun.”

Amen to that.

8. Yhancik says:

I still wish the character reacted a bit more to what’s happening around, instead of running around, the back straight as a broomstick, with the occasional “oh my eyes” animation when there’s a big explosion (even behind you).

9. Marcin says:

That *had* to be godmode. There was just way too much stupid in that (especially the running up to the AA gun and taking a flak burst to the face) to be actual gameplay.

At least I hope so. I do actually prefer the more calculated stealth approach, at least to start with. The kaboom is for when the stealth goes inevitably sour :)

10. Fat Zombie says:

Ahhh, yet more evidence that the RPG-7 launcher is a serious contender in the “most awesome weapon” stakes.

*files with Call of Duty 4*

Looks hilariously fun. KERSPLOSIONS!

11. Colinmarc says:

Heart!

12. Stromko says:

The “oh my eyes” flinch seemed to activate far too much, and yet inconsistently. Yet another explosion occuring 40 feet away would activate the flinch, but a flaming jeep landing 3 inches away would merit no reaction. I can see that getting annoying.

13. Muzman says:

Is it me or is playing as a mercenary in a happy fun shooter about as ethically questionable as some sort of suicide bomber sim.
    A GTA-esque game where you play as insurgents laying in traps for passing tanks might even things out.
    Or if they put some Machiavellian twist in and the country you’re woking for has you shot on contrived charges at the end, I might let it off.
    (I had the same problem with Soldier of Fortune. “I’m playing a what? The hell I am”)

14. Kieron Gillen says:

Muzman: Mercenaries = A-Team meets Predator.

KG

15. MeestaNob! says:

For some reason, this seems like some sort of modern interpretation of Cannon Fodder.

Interest perked.

16. Muzman says:

Mm, it probably is just me. It doesn’t look bad at all. For some reason the name, however vaguely associated with the real thing, brings out an uncharacteristic “PC” outrage in me; “Mercenaries? I hate those guys”
    (Army of Two prodded that nerve the most actually, since it seems filled with lots of “We’re not Army! We get to do what the fuck we like!” dialogue.

17. Dominic White says:

Army of Two irked me as well, because it hit just that right mixture of political incorrectness (screaming waves of al-quaeda ‘martyrs’ that you can detonate for an achievement?) combined with ‘America, Rah Rah!’ and ‘The free-market is god’.

The Mercenaries games are a lot more palatable. They seem to be far more cynical (in the intro of the first game, your company decides that it’d just be more financially viable to be the ‘good guys’ today) and comical, especially given the main character – Matthias the mumbling merc from Sweden.

It’s ridiculous and overblown in the best way. As KG said, A-Team Predator.