A Cowardly, Superstitous Lot Of Screenshots

By Kieron Gillen on August 16th, 2008 at 12:44 pm.

He's my puddin'
The Poisoned Sponge points us in the direction of the first shots of the previously announced Batman: Arkham Asylum. And they’re quite the bunch – there’s a real gritty lot to it, which feeds into the whole current Dark Knight hype, while having something of the seediness which brings to mind the much-loved-by-Jim Riddick: Escape from Butchers Bay. Oh – and a splash of the Cradle. It’s looking like a distinctive take on the Bat-guy, if nothing else. Go see.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. MeestaNob! says:

The graphics look stunning. Has this been confirmed for PC though?

2. Turin Turambar says:

PS3/360/PC

3. The Hammer says:

The facial impressions look utterly brilliant, especially on The Joker.

4. Heliocentric says:

eh. Bat man must be the naffest hero ever(aqua man excepted) boo hoo i’m a billionaire orphan. I’m now going to beat up criminals with no legal justification!

Eh. Game might be good, but it’s gonna be about kicking heads in.

5. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Looks good. We’ll see how it pans out. My prediction: brawler with random and poorly implemented stealth actions. But I so do want this to work.

6. Matt says:

That’s George Clooney’s Bat-face. Have a closer look at pictures 3 and 16 (they aren’t in that order on the page so just use the status bar to find the ones I mean)

7. ^DJ_Link^ says:

lolol that’s my blog! I was just now catching up on rps news and clicked to see if the pointed site had new images besides mine and surprise surprise, it’s my website :P

8. Esha says:

Don’t say that until you’ve read Grant Morrison’s take on that, Helio.

As for the game, it’s looking interesting. I can’t say more than that really considering that DC has had a somewhat marred history when it comes to videogames. It certainly looks good but looks can be deceiving, as a comic geek though I shall be secretly (or not so secretly) wishing for the best.

9. Heliocentric says:

@ esha okay that sounded quite good. If not super suprising. I want a mini game where you push wheelchair bound baddies down the stairs.

10. Quater says:

@ What are you, DENSE? Are you RETARDED or something? Don’t you know who he IS? He’s the GODDAMN BATMAN.

*Ahem* yeah anyway, this could be cool if it’s actually based on Arkham Asylum. I have to say, I do think that graphic novel is a bit overrated though. The Dark Knight Returns, on the other hand… now THAT needs a film/game. Provided they didn’t fuck it up, of course.

11. Dracko says:

I think that Batman is based on Alex Ross’ take on the character, actually. Though it’s clear it’s taking influence from the latest film, it’s neat that it’s going to be its own beast. And this looks like it has little to do with Morrison’s graphic novel as well, which I can’t say I’m unthankful for, it really wasn’t that good.

But this game looks lovely. Sure, there’s a lack of details on how it will actually play, but what these screenshots are hinting at could be marvellous.

12. kenoxite says:

Holy Moly, someone make those guys pass a doping test. Those screenshots ooze so many steroids that make Frazzetta’s male human monsters look like wimps.

Apart from that, the gritty look is welcomed, and Paul Dini writting it is certainly a plus.

13. GeorgeR says:

@Quater well the Dark Knight Returns is getting a movie, and Frank Miller is attached, so that should be interesting.

But yeah this game looks incredibly solidd, happy to see some new screens of it.

14. Dracko says:

kenoxite: Paul Dini is currently writing Detective Comics, which is one of the worst things out there these days (BATMANxZATANNA OTP), so I remain sceptical.

15. Diogo Ribeiro says:

LOL@Quater. Also, Dark Knight Returns is getting a *movie*? wait wut

16. hidden_7 says:

So Batman beats up criminals with somehow LESS legal justification than other super-heroes?

17. Heliocentric says:

i guess its the super element. The normal authorities can’t handle what superman has to fight. But batman?

18. kenoxite says:

@Dracko: And he’s the guy behind all the Batman animated series and the excellent “Mad Love” one-shot (drawn by the also excellent B.Timm). So, yes, for me he’s a quality mark.

Anyway, usually a “star writter” attached to a game means nothing, especially in an action game. So, at the end, it won’t matter if we think he’s worse or better. It’ll be like POWs and BAMs interrupted by monologues about how dark and deep each character is and how many hours they must train at the gym to stay as superbuffed versions of Hulk.

19. Dracko says:

Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.

I’m sure his contribution will be far from anything destroying the experience, mind you. I’m quite looking forward to seeing footage, needless too say.

20. manintheshack says:

Those screenshots do look excellent, particularly the Joker’s face. Hopefully it’ll be something dark and gritty that can hold a plot together better than the recent film did…

And Riddick is a fantastic game.