Alan Wake: Stirs In Sleep

By Jim Rossignol on August 18th, 2008 at 3:13 pm.

The mighty Shacknews points out that Remedy have murmured on their official forums, assuring fans that psychological-thriller Alan Wake is still in development.

We feel we owe you all a small heads up, and our apologies for lack of updates. This is just part of our psychological thriller, is it all real or imagined… Seriously, yes, we’re still here and working hard on getting Alan Wake for you to enjoy. Sure, we’ve been in development for a long time and if everything had gone perfectly smoothly there probably would be a game out for you guys to play already. But designing a completely new game can be hard, and sometimes you need to take a detour to find the best route forward.

Sounds like some developmental trickiness going on at the studio which produced the Max Payne games. We’re still looking forward to it…

__________________

« | »

, .

1. rob says:

Is this still a Vista exclusive?

2. cyrenic says:

Rob, that was my first thought too.

If it’s still a Vista exclusive then delaying the game is their only hope. Otherwise it’ll just be more fodder for the “PC gaming is dying” train of thought when the Xbox360 version vastly outsells it.

3. Koopa says:

Vista only? First time I heard of it, digging around seemed to confirm it. Well, will propably buy an Xbox 360 before this game is released, so won’t matter too much.

4. Kevlmess says:

It’s the same as with the first Max Payne. These guys were the real iventors of Valve time.

5. Theory says:

I actually let out a little gasp when I saw this headline…but alas. :(

6. theapologist says:

I like Vista. It’s pretty, and it’ll run Alan Wake. Yay!

Oh, and Halo 2. Meh…

7. Chris Evans says:

Well its a good thing I have Vista insalled on my PC :D

8. Sax says:

If I remember correctly… it was the same with the first Max Payne, so no reason to worry.

9. Monkfish says:

Ahh… Development Hell: there’s no place like it.

At this rate, Alan Wake will be announced as a Windows 7 exclusive title, never mind Vista. ;)

10. Noc says:

On the bright side, maybe it’s just in Development Purgatory? Visits there aren’t supposed to be permanent.

11. JulianP says:

Boy do I wish that they’d drop the Vista exclusivity. Otherwise it’s going to sell like… like… fresh goat testicles.

12. Erlam says:

Please not Vista only. I’m struggling with XP, let alone that.. thing.

13. Sax says:

Well, its been Vista/Dx10 and 360 exclusive since Microsoft is publishing it.

14. Dreamhacker says:

They better drop Vista if they know what’s good for…well, any game-company wanting to make money, at all.

15. Mattress says:

Alan Wake’s premise sounds great, evoking memories of Twin Peaks and Christopher Nolan’s Insomnia. But this game has being gestating for so long now one has to wonder will the finished product arrive as a marvelously executed and polished computer game, or will the studio collapse under the pressure of final, final deadline and cut a myriad of features and deliver a Alan Wake cut short?
    Here’s hoping the former…

16. Real Horrorshow says:

I’m going to break with the pack and say that I hope the game IS DX10-only.

Long story short, the reason the differences and performance of DX10 compared to DX9 seems so underwhelming is because there’s never been a DX10 native engine yet. DX10 is a total rewrite from DX9, and what most developers are doing (DX9 with 2 DX10 features stapled on sloppily) is really selling DX10 short and ruining it’s reputation. SOMEONE has to a DX10 engine exclusive game eventually for the sake of prograss, and it can’t be done soon enough. Alan Wake hurry your ass up!

17. BJ Blazkowicz says:

I read “working hard on” wrong.

Comment on this story