Pretending To Be In Germany: GC Round-up #1

By Alec Meer on August 21st, 2008 at 10:02 pm.

Annoyingly we’re not at this year’s Leipzig Games Convention, because we’re a) stupid b) poor c) lazy and d) unfit for public consumption. We did intend to be, but things fall apart, the centre of PC game blogging cannot hold.

But let’s pretend. Imagine we are actually there, and the list of links below is actually stuff we’ve seen and written ourselves. It’ll be fun!

- EA’s Peter Moore tackles Piracy, eh? in response to the news that a bunch of games companies are fining 25,000 British filesharers. “I’m not a huge fan of trying to punish your consumer. Albeit these people have clearly stolen intellectual property, I think there are better ways of resolving this within our power as developers and publishers.” Moore also exclusively told RPS, while we were at Leipzig, that his favourite colour is taupe and he has a pet Mastodon.

- Rockstar’s Bully is coming to PC in October. Seems a little late, but more importantly YOU CAN KISS BOYS IN IT.

- Also on Rockstar tip, there’re a few more details on the GTA 4 PC port. Higher resolutions, would you believe. Also some sort of replay video editor thingum, so you can watch yourself kicking that hooker to death from every possible angle. There may be more players supported in multiplayer modes too. Rockstar also exclusively told RPS, while we were at Leipzig, that GTA IV PC will feature Wilfred Bramble as a new playable character.

- A few more details and screens for Diablo III. Blizzard still isn’t talking about how the new Battle.net will work, however. I’m convinced you’ll have to pay your subscription in actual hellboar teeth, in the soon-to-be-announced Official Blizzard Hellboar Killing Fields.

- Talk of an Age of Conan expansion pack in late 2009, which suggests the game’s doing pretty well despite the mass bitching we keep hearing about it. Funcom also exclusively told RPS, while we were at Leipzig, that John Walker fabricated his entire interview series with Ragnar Tørnquist. Actually they just spooned for 48 hours, without saying a word. Though they did gently purr on occasion.

- A couple of new Crysis Warhead trailers, plus wobblycam footage of what Crytek claim the Crysis engine will be capable of in the near-future. Can’t really tell at that video quality, but clearly they’ve still got big plans for Cryengine 2. Hopefully not involving crappy blue aliens.

- Do you like mist and corridors? Then you’ll be very glad to hear that the next Silent Hill game is coming to PC as well as those console thingies.

- There’s to be a new Anno game, this time set in 1404 and in the Orient. I’ve never played any of this series, and I really should, given I’m so hot for Colonization. Ubisoft also exclusively revealed to RPS, while we were at Leipzig, that actually the year 1404 never officially happened. It was stricken from history for chatting up 1403′s sister.

Aaaand that’ll do for now. My massive new monitor arrived today, and tragically it’s making my eyes ache horribly. Must rest. Damned march of progress…

, , , , , .

1. Turin Turambar says:

Sigh… the first thing you should have put here is the new (and awesome) trailer of Cryostasis.

Here

:P

2. Andrew says:

WHERE IS THE HEARTS OF IRON 3 ANNOUNCEMENT.

Also, you managed to get the ø right, but couldn’t spell Ragnar? Best typo ever.

3. Nimic says:

No Hearts of Iron 3 news? It’s big news in the grand strategy World War 2 fan circles, enormous as they are.

Myself, I was hoping for Crusader Kings 2 or another era completely when Paradox announced they were going to announce a new game in Leipzig, but I’ll definitely try out HoI 3.

4. Andrew says:

More relevantly to the article, Bully for PC? That is indeed a bit late. Could be fun though. The Wii version is very nice. You can kiss LOTS of boys with MOTION CONTROLS.

5. KP says:

Urgablarglehargharg

6. rocketman71 says:

Whoa!. Common sense from Peter Moore. And I thought I’d never see the day!

7. sockpuppetclock says:

Good thing I don’t have to pretend I’m in Germany!

8. Turin Turambar says:

Thanks KP!
    edit: Goddamn, the last three screenshots are great

9. Geoff says:

I’m possibly the only American to play, and quite enjoy, Anno 1701. It was lovely.

I’m much intrigued by this 1404 announcement, but I hope the support in the US will be less terrible.

10. theleif says:

You forgot to mention HOI 3? A game developed in the awesome and powerful (well at least during 1650-1750… sort of) Swedish nation?
    Man, you hate all European devs and have TOTALLY sold out to the console crowd.

11. 02sheslop says:

Hey looks like that frozen tsunami from the old Crysis previews is making a return in Warhead. That’s pretty cool I was disappointed when it didn’t appear in Crysis.

12. Jochen Scheisse says:

Coincidental enough, it’s only been 2 days since I reinstalled Anno 1701 for some hot island on island action. For your information, Alec, there’s an independence war mode in it.

13. Bartek says:

Also Need for Speed Undercover for all!

14. Tagert says:

Woo, kissing boys.

…can’t say i’ve ever played Bully. Even with that bonus I’m not really that tempted by it.
    What’s this?! A new Hearts of Iron?!

15. Putter says:

I waited, and waited, and waited (etc.) for a Bully PC port. Then they announced the 360 and Wii port, but no PC, so I figured that was that.

So just a few weeks ago I got Bully for PS2. And that afternoon I saw it get a rating on ESRB, so I sorta knew it was coming, but I’m still mad.

What’s next, a Warriors port? Well too bad, Rockstar, I waited for that too and bought it aswell…

16. Mr. President says:

WTF @ Bully PC port: better late than never, eh?
    Well, good for PC-only folks, I guess… It might be a bit outdated by now, but it WAS a really fun game, tiny but fun. They better make it really cheap or add more new features.

17. Octaeder says:

There’ll probably just add more boys to kiss.

They do so love controversy.

18. Jochen Scheisse says:

I quite like the GTAs, but Rockstar are definitely the one trick pony of the business.

19. noggin says:

Is no-one else excited about the prospect of playing GTA as Steptoe?!

20. Man Raised By Puffins says:

I love the disdain the girl on the right is projecting towards the kissing couple.

Re: Spooning, I could have done without that, unnervingly plausible, mental image. Cheers RPS!

21. bobince says:

Hooray @ Bully! Always looked like an intriguing game, glad I’ll get to play it finally. Hopefully its age will make it run on my wheezing old box without too much upgrading…