Mercenaries 2 Co-op Footage

By Jim Rossignol on August 22nd, 2008 at 10:42 am.

The drop-in-drop-out co-op mode on Mercenaries 2 is the thing that is, for me at least, making it one of the more desirable games coming out this year (August 31st). The first live footage of the game being played co-op has just turned up, and you can see it after the jump. Explosions come as standard, and you can drive a Monster Truck into battle…

That dude totally said “plethora”.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Impressive :)

2. Möller says:

Awesome

3. Jubaal says:

As fun as it looks the realism junkie in me keeps balking at the damage these guys can take and keep on going.

Pedant Alert: Contrary to what they said transporting tanks and stuff by chopper I’m fairly sure was in Battlefield Vietnam.

4. phuzz says:

Every time I think, meh, it’s just another random shooty game, and then I watch the trailer and think, ‘it’s ain’t smart, but it looks FUN!’
    Picking up the tank with the helicopter == totes awse.

5. SteveTheBlack says:

Sold! To be fair, I was probably going to get it anyway, seeing as I had great fun with the first one, but co-op makes everything better. :D

6. aldo says:

Aye, ’twas. Wish that game had worked (lots of stuttering bugs) when I bought it, it had so much more personality than BF2.

7. ImperialCreed says:

The moment I saw them pick up the tank with the chopper and keep firing was the moment I pre-ordered the game. It looks like buckets of fun.

8. Ian says:

I don’t think I’ll get it, but the tank/helo moment almost tempts me.

9. Horatius says:

I think Phuzz should be quoted on the box: “It ain’t smart, but it looks FUN!”

I’m so happy co-op is becoming a sought-after feature by developers!

10. Chris Evans says:

Now that is looking damn fun!

11. Nero says:

I have always liked the Mercs games idea. Loved the first one and I think I will like this aswell as it’s more of the same. Also I can’t wait to again play as a Swedish guy in a game again.

12. espy says:

Looks very nice, and was well presented (plethora!), but again, what is the point of releasing it 5 days later in Europe? Is there any conceivable benefit from this delay for anyone involved?

13. luphisto says:

looks bloody excellent.

14. Butler` says:

It looks a little bit arcadey for my tastes, but at the same time undeniably fun.

It’s on my list.

15. The Poisoned Sponge says:

I think I shall definitely purchase this, if only because the designers know the word ‘plethora’… it is such a *good* word, almost as good as ‘pantheon’.

16. Subject 706 says:

Way too arcadey for my taste. If only Jagged Alliance 3 hadn’t been postponed until 2010.

17. Fumarole says:

Co-op destruction is the best kind.

18. Aubrey says:

Awesome.

I did a game which never got released, and you could use your grapple/rocket to snag any enemy/friend/neutral objects, including auto turrets which you could take ownership of by “powering” them to your side, so that they’d fight for you, or you could place them behind enemy lines or whatever.

But yeah, not in co-op, and the game wasn’t finished, so… they got a first, there. Very cool to see it done, and finished.

19. Nick says:

Why does the protagonist look like such a idiot? I’m no fan of super muscle bound guys either, but come on..

20. sinister agent says:

These developer types just can’t resist making the Russians drunks, can they?

Looks like a lot of fun indeed. A good demo, with a respectable commentary – they’re clearly enjoying the game, which is promising. The fact that there are two of them should perhaps be noted by other demo presenters – with two of them they can banter a little and only speak when there’s something worthwhile to say, rather than just have one nasal whinger gibbering nervously about nothing much in a desperate bid to fill the silence.

Online co-op can shove it, though. I’d get it if there were a split-screen option, though probably on the funsquare. Otherwise… not much point, to be honest.

21. Optimaximal says:

Is that a PC demo or is the movement just always so digital – if it’s a console demo, is there proof that the PC will have decent (i.e. not K&L) co-op?