Phwoarhammer: Age of Reckoning Fancy Intro

By Kieron Gillen on August 22nd, 2008 at 9:25 am.

Don't do this at home. No, really.

We linked to the Wrath of the Lich King video yesterday, to general applause. But it’s not just Blizzard who showed they could spend a ridiculous amount of rendering an intro at Leipzig. Mythic revealed theirs and it’s ridiculously fancy. It’s beneath the cut. Well worth watching to warm you up for our Warhammer Beta round-table later today.

(Assuming we get of four collective arses and do it.)

Or you can go to Mythic’s site to burn their bandwidth instead. So many choices! I’d do one of my traditional frame-by-frame breakdowns, but frankly, it’d just be going CHRIST! DID YOU SEE THAT! That bit with the eye and the squig. Fuck-oh-yes!

Of course, it doesn’t change that fancy videos are fundamentally worthless. YET AWESOME.

Conflicted, I am.

, .

1. mpk says:

Reminds me a lot of the original WoW opening cinematic. Very, very enjoyable, and nice to see a bit of Tzeentch for a change.

2. Ian says:

Doubt I’ll play the game, but that’s a very nice trailer indeed.

3. Mark Stephenson says:

Just like the first two WoW videos it shows lots of the different classes interacting, which is more interesting than some spoilt brat going for a walk in the snow and waking up a dead dragon.

I actually empathised with the elfything when it got frozen/stoned in the same way I always worry about the dog dieing in disaster movies. Funnily enough Elfs smell and have fleas just like dogs.

And Tzeentch is better the Khorn.

4. The Hammer says:

Pfff, lesbianism…

5. Leelad says:

Not as impressed as I was with the lich king one but I can’t put my finger on why.

6. gulag says:

So awesome.

7. Alex says:

Nice trailer… I fear we won´t see anything of this in the original game, besides of grinding, raids and other stupid time sinks, as seen in every single mmo in the world. ;)

8. ADamnFox says:

I like how the fire guy got stabbed in the chest early on, and later he shows up looking rueful, sort of clutching the hole in his torso. “Just a flesh wound… the flesh of my heart…”

9. phuzz says:

Utter opposite of you Leelad, I was pretty meh on the Lich King, but this was pretty entertain (hawt dark elves helped). I think it’s probably to do with being a brit kid of a certain age and background and having the ability to spot a squig at 30 yards with no training, where as WoW means nothing to me.

10. Sucram says:

WAR vs WOW cinematic, FIGHT!

Voiceover lady was rather Galadriel wasn’t she? Thought she was about to say ‘Elves, Men and Dwarfs, you are the fellowship of the ring’

Would mention that it seems the cinematics are the best part of these MMOs but having already mentioned WOW and LOtR figure I’ve already riled enough people.

11. Willem says:

Fantasy clichés are flying high.

12. Winston says:

This was full of pretty mayhem, and had a sense of humour. Which makes it good. The WoW one was pretty, had little mayhem and was rather self important. Which makes it so-so.

More dwarves next time, please.

13. Homunculus says:

a bit of Tzeentch for a change.

I See What You Did There.

14. Quine says:

Gyrocopters! Squee!

15. The Poisoned Sponge says:

I think this quite resolutely proves the orcs are better than pretty much everything. Anyone else notice the orc being catapulted into a building about halfway through. It brought a smile to me face.

16. Matt says:

a bit of Tzeentch for a change

I See What You Did There.

I fear I’m missing the point horrendously here, but wasn’t Slaanesh mutatey-boy?

This game is doing terrible things to my mind. On the one hand, my boredom with fantasy MMOs and the associated grind surrounded by legions of gormless adolescents, but then… Warhammer. It’s been so long. I’m sorry I left.

17. Seniath says:

Tzeentch is the Chaos God of change. Or so Wikipedia tells me. I swear, I’ve played maybe two games of the tabletop in my entire life, but can still happily spend hours wiki-hopping through the WH/W40k fluff.

18. Kieron Gillen says:

It’s Chaos. They’re all mutant-boys.

The big guy at the end was a greater demon on Tzeench.

KG

19. suchchoices says:

my fantasy mmorpger dragon is better than your fantasy mmorpger dragon

I’ve got a soft spot for the dawn of war 2 cinematic trailers – but this, not so much

kieron: you make it sound like tzeench is some kind of drug. which is excellent

20. EyeMessiah says:

I will certainly give this game a go, just as soon as they make it.

21. Jacques says:

No, Slaanesh is the drug, not Tzeentch.

22. Jocho says:

In line with everything else Warhammer Online, this CGI is also done by another company, called Blur. Just found that a funny note considering the price-confusion.

23. El Stevo says:

Gosh, it looks jolly exciting.

24. Jochen Scheisse says:

Oh boy, that is so stolen from Warcraft.

25. Anders says:

I hope you are kidding Jochen, otherwise read this

26. Geoff says:

Man, for a minute there, I was worried there wasn’t going to be a scantily-clad hot chick, what with all the orks and goblins and such.

Anyway, lovely trailer, made me momentarily forget that they’re advertising an MMO, and I thought “wow, I want to play this!”

Then I remembered of course. Let me know when it’s an RTS, preferably with a huge single-player campaign.

27. FreezerBag says:

Oh boy, that is so stolen from Warcraft.

Was there trolls in that trailer? Well their certainly is in this thread!

28. J. Prevost says:

Meh. I liked the WotLK trailer better. If my super pretty non-game-footage thing isn’t going to tell me how the game plays, it can at least tell me a story.

What story does the LK trailer tell? “Here lies Prince Arthas, once the light in his father’s eyes. You must first climb high to fall so very very far.”

What story does the WAR trailer tell? “Hi, I’m Michael Bay. *BOOM* And this game… is AWESOME. *BOOM* Also, hawt elf sex. *BOOM*”

Does either one get me excited to play the game? Well, I’m a story addict, so I’m left wondering if we’ll find out whether Arthas is redeemable or we’ll just kill the snot out of him. I’ll be kind of sad if it’s just the killing.

In the case of the WAR trailer… it really says nothing to me. It’s pretty, but pretty cinematics are a dime a dozen. It says “we’re putting in lots of different stuff and maintaining the Warhammer feel.” Which is fine. But the proof is in the pudding—if it’s a good game, it’s a good game, but a trailer showing me an artist’s rendition of how the different classes can awesomely fight each other doesn’t guarantee balance.

29. Mr_Day says:

Arthas is the boss of an end game raid, so I am guessing you kill him and Blizzard spend 10 minutes working on a new baddie.

“How about Titans? We haven’t done them yet.”

“No – no! Dragons!”

“Pffff, my level 10 hunter killed 20 of those. Ooooh! Nazis! We have zombies and aliens, why not complete the Unholy Trinity of videgame baddies no one complains about squishing?”

The main reason I want to try WAR online is that, last I read, Squig Handler was a class. I want to be eaten and ride around in a squig. I so do.

30. Leelad says:

@phuzz.

Slow day at work so i’ve been thinking. The only reason I can come up with is that I purely know more of the WoW story than I do the WH one. I certainly will be giving the game a blast, I blagged AoC with a NUTS subscription (and i’m unashamed of the fact!!)

I think there is also a lingering in my head that they’ll see sence and do the movie in the same format.

31. Seniath says:

@Anders: Excellent use of I Hope You Like Text, have a shiny nickel.

32. mandrill says:

Its Warhammer, therefore it beats Warcraft hands down.

To clarify:
    Khorne = Blood and War
    Nurgle = Disease and decay
    Slaanesh = Pleasure and Hedonism
    Tzeentch = Change and Mutation

Wahammer was around a long long time before Wacraft and anyone who says “Warhammer Online is just copying Warcraft” is an idiot who needs to widen their intake of fantasy RPG’s. The whole point behind Warhammer is to take the usual fantasy tropes and play with them, make fun of them and show them for what they are: a bit of fun. Fantasy game that take themselves too seriously are missing the point.

I may just buy this as long as the grind is limited and the humour and ethos of Warhammer retained. If not I’ll just say “Meh” and wait until I can resist it no longer (and its been patched so that it actually works the way its meant to.)

33. Noc says:

I thought the same thing Sucram. I actually almost expected a conversation betwwen Thoughtful Lady Elf Voice and Gravelly Trailer Announcer.

“The world is changing. I can feel it in-”
    “No its not.”
    “What?”
    “The world is not changing. There’s a war. There’s always been a war. That’s the point.”
    “Huh. Well it’ll be pretty sweet, right?”
    “Yes.”
    “There will be peril, and heroes rising?’
    “Pretty much.”
    “…that’s alright, then. I mean. awful.”
    “Right on.

34. Jacques says:

Mandrill that’s a pretty simplified outlook at the chaos gods.

Khorne- War, martial prowess, honour, strength, courage.
    Nurgle- Disease, decay, despair, fear, comfort.
    Slaanesh- Hedonism, artistic pursuit, martial pursuit, self improvement.
    Tzeentch- Change, knowledge, time, deception, fortune, intellect.

They’re really not quite as simple as a lot of people assume, there’s been a lot of though in creating the Warhammer IP, and the Chaos Gods are definitely one of the more interesting things.

35. KingMob says:

“War. War never changes.”

Anyway, I really liked this trailer.

36. Stella says:

That’s right, people that don’t know the proper lineage of a game that 98% of the population have never heard of as compared with a game that 94% of the population have never heard of save a CNN story about some kid shitting his pants in his computer chair are IDIOTS. IMO, idiots need to lessen their intake of fantasy RPGs.

37. Alec Meer says:

Enough shouting, please.

38. mandrill says:

Sorry Alec but this has to be said:

I know my audience Stella, and assumed that those reading this blog and having the gall to comment that Warhammer is just a Warcraft clone were in fact idiots. I don’t care if someone who sits at home in their recliner, watching television and knowing nothing about games says warcraft is better than warhammer. They don’t count.

Someone who makes a comment comparing WoW to War should take the time to learn a little bit about what they’re talking about before jumping in with “Warhammer is a Warcraft clone.” Anyone who doesn’t deserves every ounce of derision we can pile upon their sorry souls. It is the commenting without proper research that is idiotic, not the intake, or lack thereof, of fantasy literature.

BTW: What do you do for fun? Would you like me to deride it without basis?

@Jaques: Thank you. Its been a while and Chaos were never really my favourites so I only knew the generalities. I bow to your superior knowledge :)

39. The Hammer says:

Just out of interest, Mandrill, do you know how Warcraft came about?

40. Noc says:

Mandrill, it’s worth saying:

While the Warcraft aesthetic definitely has its roots in Warhammer, it’s WoW, and Blizzard’s work, alone that’s cemented the current vision of the MMO in our minds.

Both Warhammer and Warcraft use a pretty generic aesthetic. It’s High Fantasy, and in High Fantasy everything tends to look pretty similar. No one looks at Warhammer figurines and says “Dude, these look just like Warcraft.” They say “Oh, it’s Fantasy stuff,” and when people play WoW they say “Oh, it’s Fantasy.”

The reasons these comparisons come up is not solely because Warcraft character designs and Warhammer character designs look similar. It’s because WAR the MMO looks like WOW the MMO. It’s because the scale of the architecture is the same. The environment is rendered in a similar way. The way spell effects accompany casting is similar, as is the place the camera seems to gravitate too.

There are lots of Fantasy games, and they tend to employ rather similar art direction. But they don’t all get compared to WoW, either.

41. Anthony Damiani says:

Well, Blizzard took a ton of stuff from Warhammer, it’s kind of fitting that Warhammer should be blatantly, openly copying what they did with WoW.

I must confess, the guy next to me was playing WAR and I thought it was WoW until he mentioned something. At a first glance, the two games are nearly identical.

42. Jacques says:

Warcraft was started because GW refused to give Blizzard the licence to use their IP…

I’m confused here anyway, what exactly are people complaining about, the similarities between Warhammer and Warcraft or the similarities between WoW and WAR?

Mandrill, you should get your hands on Liber Chaotica if you’re interested in Chaos, great book.

43. Leelad says:

“I don’t care if someone who sits at home in their recliner, watching television and knowing nothing about games says warcraft is better than warhammer. They don’t count.”

Surely they kinda do in terms of popularity? There are loads of people I know think MMORPG is another name for World of Warcraft. Seriously.

I cannot see how anyone who plays another MMO other than WoW can slag it off. It is to many THE definition of MMO. Most of them don’t even know it’s something to do with the gimps who play in games workshop on a Saturday afternoon.

44. ScubaV says:

And Warhammer ripped off its ideas from Tolkien. Who cares? Lots of great artists in all forms borrow ideas from others. Then they add their own style to it and it becomes something different and interesting.

Blizzard took basic ideas from Warhammer and 40k for Warcraft and Starcraft. They also added their own (imo superior) style. So what?

Now, Mythic is borrowing basic MMO ideas from Blizzard for its MMO. Again, so what?

45. someyoungguy says:

i don’t think they used enough cliches in the VO.

46. Jochen Scheisse says:

Ok, so it is still way better than saying consoles r better than PC LOLZ. After Kieron didn’t even mention the Warcraft Warhammer flamebait in his sex article, so I just had to check.

47. mandrill says:

I didn’t know how warcraft came about, but now thanks to Jacques (again) I do.

It is true that all high fantasy is derivative of the same basic idea. Tolkien gave us what we know to be fantasy literature more than 50 years ago and almost every fantasy world has borrowed something from him.

That was not my point. My point was that those who know WoW and only WoW should widen their fantastic horizons abit and sample some of the other stuff that’s out there. The genre is far deeper and more varied than those who know it only superficially understand it to be.

All fantasy is not WoW and WoW is not all fantasy. There were things that came before that WoW owes alot to. There are alot of ‘in’ references in WoW which these people will not get (The throne room above Undercity being the same one that appears in a cinematic in The Diablo II expansion; Lord of Destruction for instance, and thats just one of them.)

I merely wished to point out the ignorance of those who put fingers to keyboard to voice opinions about something they know little about or have a very specific and narrow view of, that is all. Warcraft and Warhammer both have their place in the genre, as do Earthsea, Middle Earth, Pern, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Game of Thrones, Shannara, and many others. More enjoyment can be squeezed from your favourite if you sample a wide selection of its bretheren.

48. Paul Barnett says:

Orcs are green, GW did that. Squigs for the win.