Welcome (Back) To The Jungle: Crysis Warhead

By Alec Meer on August 25th, 2008 at 10:00 pm.

Wahey, it’s another video! But it’s a bank holiday, so you should be grateful you’re getting anything at all out of us tradition-spurning Brits, quite frankly. Plus it’s apparently a leaked video, which adds the scintillating thrill of watching something you’re not supposed to. Because seeing footage of games that might make you want to buy them is a bad thing. Yes.

I wasn’t particularly looking forward to Warhead because I found the latter half of Crysis about as much fun as licking hobos, but this intro/trailer/whatever kinda works on me. I dig that there’s no speaking, because Crytek and exposition are rarely the best of friends. I dig that it’s suggesting Psycho’s nano-suit is potentially capable of doing more than a hop, a skip and a chokehold before running out of power. And I dig that there’s a hint of a meaningful nemesis, which was rather lacking in Crysis itself. There are no guarantees of any of these things, but hell – I now own a 24″ monitor and I really want something purdy to break it in with. That is all that matters in life. That and the starving children and lepers and stuff.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Optimaximal says:

Impressive… SO impressive in fact, that it’s clearly another rendered video like the originals intro, showing us what the engine is theoretically capable of, but they rendered it to stop everyone being disappointed when it ran at 5 frames per second on their real-world PCs!

2. Larington says:

Well, assuming they keep the alien silliness out of this it could be really good.

Oh, and improve the AI more.

3. Man Raised By Puffins says:

You’re out of luck I’m afraid.

4. Optimaximal says:

Interestingly, this video is called ‘Icy Showdown’… If the ‘final boss’ is just another of those bloody walkers that you have to just pelt with bullets until it falls, colour me both un-impressed and un-interested…

5. Novotny says:

Looks like the intro film to me. I’m guessing – though I can’t quite remember the plot from the orig – that Psycho has to deliver the ‘Warhead’ and is shot down en route, at which point the game begins. Perhaps he /is/ the warhead.

or maybe that’s utter marmalade.

6. Zaph says:

I’ll have to join the “wtf alienz”-chorus. I mean, fighting the KPA was so much more fun, can’t you make the game just about that? Pretty please, Crytek?
    Anyways. Nice and explody intro!

7. N says:

Why can’t I rip people to pieces? No seriously, this is all I ask for… I’m charging up on super strength and… and? I can only pick up one of those ricesacks and throw him a mile away, meh. I want to tear people apart limb from limb and beat the gushing blood out of them with their own legs and arms… It all stopped with Quake2 and all it’s visceral gibbing beauty…

8. Nimic says:

Maybe I’m the only one in the world who thinks so, but I actually enjoyed the entirety of Crysis. I thought it was a really good game. And yes, that includes the Alien-half. That is, I clearly enjoyed the human warfare part better, but I didn’t outright dislike the second half just because it was so much more linear.

I’m definitely going to get Warhead, and I won’t cry myself to sleep if they end with aliens (which seems almost inevitable considering, you know, the story).

9. PleasingFungus says:

Ditto, Nimic. Excepting the very final level, which was terrible.

Also, the sound on that shakycam video was a little too terrible for me to watch it. I’ll wait until they actually release it.

10. Real Horrorshow says:

Ditto Nimic and PleasingFungus

11. Alex says:

Not ditto Nimic, PleasingFungus and Real Horrorshow.

Crysis, a “sandbox” game that gave you little reason to explore, that gave you little reason to use any nanosuit power except cloak and sprint and had a piss poor story (with accompanying piss poor dialogue!). And that’s before all of the alien shit hits the fan to bore you to a quick, gasping death.

12. Larington says:

Right, thats it, I don’t care if Crytek bemoan how the PC is supposedly dying or not, if they can’t learn from past bleedin’ mistakes I ain’t giving them my money.

Stupid aliens, mumble, mumble.

In otherwords, I projected my own expectations on what Crysis should have done and I’m now throwing my toys out the pram. Oh well, I’ll go back to waiting to see what Eidos Montreal pulls off with DX3.

13. datter says:

I never understand these sorts of comments. My rig runs Crysis at 1680×1050, max detail plus the Dx10 via Dx9 tweaking stuff and it’s as smooth as silk all the way through. No slowdowns, no hiccups, no stutters and I’m not exactly running a super computer either, it’s just a good new, updated rig.

Maybe the folks with “good computers” and lousy frame rates in Crysis aren’t as up to date as they think they are? In my experience you can’t blame the game.

All that said the Crysis aliens, like the giant killer monkey things of Farcry, sucked mightily.

14. rocketman71 says:

So, does Cevat think that this should sell 100 million units as well?

15. Mman says:

“I clearly enjoyed the human warfare part better, but I didn’t outright dislike the second half just because it was so much more linear.”

This. Plus a preview I heard about said they are changing the aliens a bit to make them more like the Human enemies (or something like that), which is all I really felt they needed to do in the first place.

16. born2expire says:

i really enjoyed Crysis, especially the korean nano suits.

colour me excited for this! even more so that its clocking in at almost half price!

17. thesombrerokid says:

@datter
    ditto 1920×1200 with everything on high and i paid less than £500 bucks for my entire setup +

@Nimic, PleasingFungus and Real Horrorshow
    ditto, i liked it up until the last boss fight which was pish & i seriously doubt most of the people would have played it if it was kill a bunch of weakling KPA until the end of the game either, i think this is another Diablo 3 senario were people moan about a game feature but have absolutly no clue on what to replace it with and if they do come up with something it’s daft

18. Butler` says:

You got a point there Nimic, which is why I didn’t publicly criticise Crysis for the whole alien thing – I just didn’t play it.

19. majorbromly says:

Hey sombrero kid, What is this “epic” rig that “runs” Crysis on high@ 1920X1200? I’m sure NOTHING you can get for (Currency symbol I don’t have) 500 can hande what you say.

20. A-Scale says:

Crysis is a somewhat complex tech demo which should be bundled with PCs and video cards, and should not be expected to sell on its own.

I just reinstalled Crysis, and even the second time around its about as much fun as pulling teeth. It is however, pretty.

21. Mman says:

“Tech demo” is such a lazy way to troll any game that has the audacity to be the slightest bit technologically advanced.

22. Down Rodeo says:

British bank holiday? Us Scots are exempt – at least, those of us not waiting to go back to University like myself :p

I never did get Crysis but I think I shall at some point – need to check the system specs though (infamously high as they are, for high detail anyway).

23. Marcin says:

I miss bank holidays …

24. dhex says:

i am with you on this one. the ship segment itself was unforgettable. i even liked the crippled vtol part.

last battle, not so much.

25. A-Scale says:

Technologically advanced isn’t what qualifies a “tech demo” game, it has to be a technologically advanced game with little game content. Crysis all feels already done. I never once felt that the developers were inspired to make something great, beyond the great graphics.

26. Bhlaab says:

First off all of you go to hell what’s the matter with FarCry Plus Some

Second of all what I’m really interested in is how much better the engine runs, but nobody in the press seems the slightest bit interested in finding out

27. Charlie says:

Everyone slags of Crysis and hails Call of Duty 4. The gameplay in Cod4 was lame, it was a great game though as it was made up for with its story, acting and presentation imo.

Crysis may not have been original but most people don’t make shooters with freedom of gameplay like it has. It’s not amazing or revolutionary but it isn’t shite.

Also, since the patches it runs very nicely on my fairly modest rig.

28. A-Scale says:

Actually I think I recall seeing either a giantbomb or ign story regarding that very issue, and they said that they were disappointed to see Warhead chugging even on EA’s monster systems.

Charlie, I think Crysis would get fewer negative comments if its presentation wasn’t so bad. The accents are hideous, the stereotypes are appalling(ly lame), the game never makes you care about any of the characters, and as such the story falls flat. Sure I get to choose my way around the world, but much of the early game is based on finding, helping and rendezvousing with guys who don’t offer you any real assistance and who are boring and one dimensional at best. Also while it may be nice that one can choose their path around the world, you are most often confined to one or two objectives at a time, and no matter how you get there you still have to accomplish the same task the same way. I can go by boat, foot or car to the same hilltop to kill the same 8 guys, at which point I can either choose sneak mode or kill mode to knock them out. That’s not real freedom. COD4 seems to get a lot of respect because while you are confined to that single chosen path, it is presented in such a good way that you feel like you are participating in a movie. Crysis falls flat on that front.

29. Bhlaab says:

Presentation means nothing if the gameplay is being led through a corridor past enemy clown car spawn points.

While I think it’s nice that story and presentation are becoming more and more important these days, I think it’s unfair to have it sink a good game and redeem a medicore one

30. Bhlaab says:

I don’t know, something about the criticisms levelled against Crysis seems “off”. I understand the game falls apart a bit near the end, but at worst it goes from being a Great game to a Somewhat Average one

What I think is that somehow, in this twisted universe where down is up and black is white, Crysis has been unfairly penalized in the public opinion because of its incredible graphics. Like cynical gamers everywhere took one look at it upon release and went “Huh. You think you’re so great, don’t you?”

31. Jim Rossignol says:

Crysis had moments of greatness, and I think that was enough. The jungle stream section was incredible, as was the harbour sequence and the fight at the school vs the tanks. It was a hugely ambitious game and I’m amazed how much people want to dismiss that.

32. Flint says:

I’ll also join the “I liked Crysis in its entirety (although the KPA sections were more fun)” club. I even liked the final battle and I don’t know why people complain about that. Epic stuff. What annoyed me the most were the vehicle sections, especially that unspeakably horrible VTOL part.

So yes. More Crysis please.

33. Ian says:

One of my favourite moments of Crysis was when I realised I didn’t have to use that Godforsaken tank and could just go it on foot.

Oh, and the throwing of KPA through walls of shacks as well.

34. Mike says:

I really liked crysis and I’ve played through it twice now. The only bit I didn’t like was the final battle and the fact that there weren’t any indoor fighting sessions. I suppose the aliens were a little silly… but you know, I liked that they tried something different.

35. Requiem says:

The last part of Crysis felt very retro and not in a good way, if the first two thirds of the game were a step forward then the alien levels and end boss fight were two steps back.

Probably the thing that pissed me off the most about the ending was Psycho chattering away demanding first covering fire then that Nomad hurry up take the shot. Without returning the favour and providing air support.

That kind of sums up the whole game, the vtols take off on infinite boost and leave you behind, Psycho just stands around in plain sight, on the docks, while you get swamped with KPA. Everyone ignores him and he doesn’t lift a finger to help.

Though probably the worst thing about the game was the nanosuit, that was just nerfed to hell and back compared to everyone else’s.

Crysis was a fun game with a lot of good moments, but it’s three main selling points, (super powered nano suit, open ended game play, superb graphics) didn’t live up to expectations, got funnelled onto rails and weren’t available to everyone. Then you can see why people got hacked off with it.

36. MetalCircus says:

I concurr with the aliens at the end – it really just took a massive shit on all the great gameplay elements introduced to us in the first half, and I was really unimpressed. They did the same with Far Cry. Do they hate their own games that much?!

37. Nallen says:

That last boss fight. Urgh. 5fps spammy crap, hated it.

Didn’t mind the game up to that point though, apart from the escort mission. WHY?!

38. Jamie says:

MAXIMUM ARMOUR

39. fudspong says:

Welcome to the 24″ club. Don’t forget to wash your hands.

40. dhex says:

i dunno about you guys, but i had loads of fun running away from people (or driving away) and had a few breakneck chases, too.

and again, the alien ship. i haven’t seen a game do anything like that, ever. it was absurdly beautiful, incredibly weird, and well-paced (once i figured out how to get down that drain thingy).

41. ZeeKat says:

Crysis was the only game I ran trough two times in a row and now playing custom maps off crymod. It’s just that much fun with blowing shit up and hurling things all over the place. I may agree that alien parts were the suckier ones, but maybe they read these polls they did on crymod forums and reduced mecha-squiddy alien parts a bit. I hope. plz.

42. absentblue says:

@datter:

I don’t get it either, I recently priced my rig at about half of what it was when I built it (roughly $600US now) and I play Crysis on high settings, no AA at 1280 x 960. I have the patch applied and the latest drivers for my card but no performance tweaks on hardware or software and Crysis never dips below 30FPS.

Warhead is boasting even better compatibility with PCs now and their specs are lower than what Crysis originally recommended. It’s a shame though because I don’t think they’ll ever rid themselves of the stigma of being too demanding on hardware.

All that said Crysis was alright, it was certainly more fun to fight the KPA than the aliens. The plot was weak and the main character got annoying. Thankfully this looks to improve on all this, Psycho is a better character anyway.

43. subedii says:

I also really loved the alien ship. It was pretty amazing, they put a lot of effort into the look and feel of it.

44. A-Scale says:

What great gameplay elements are there to speak of? The only thing I saw that was any different from a shooter of 5 years ago was the nanosuit, and the fact that enemies were already present in areas rather than spawned from the same area in an infinite queue. The latter element is nothing special in games today, and I happen to think the nanosuit was gimmicky. I think a lot of the praise the game gets here is a backlash against people who they feel are savaging the game too much.

45. Mman says:

Maybe it just *Gasp* didn’t appeal to you?

46. subedii says:

Many of us actually enjoyed the game a lot thank you very much. It gave me a LOT more enjoyment and replayability than most FPS’s ever manage.

47. Deuteronomy says:

Alec you fail at *life* j/k