Crysis Wars: 13-Day Aged Prime-Cut Trailer

By Kieron Gillen on August 26th, 2008 at 11:29 pm.

This is a little old, but we somehow didn’t post it when it hit the web a week ago and since I’ve been deep in Crysis: Warhead today for a magazine, it seemed appropriate. It’s a video showing Crysis Warhead’s included re-imagining of the Crysis multiplayer. In short: more short. Intense. More thoughts on FPS-multiplayer and completely random Mass Effect stuff beneath the cut.

I admit, considering the online component of a single-player game is something which I’m terribly glad I’m not a developer. It’s a fascinating gamble. It’s a lot of work to do. The more work you put into it, the more chance it has to pay off, but – fundamentally – if it doesn’t take off, all that work counts as nothing. When it works, you become Valve, Infinity Ward or Bungie. When it doesn’t, you become the game who you can’t find someone to play with on the 360 two-months after launch, or the local equivalent. I certainly can understand why someone like Irrational after failing to begat any kind of online multiplayer world with their previous two games realised they were far better folding all their efforts from Bioshock into the single-player game. Part of me wonders whether that’d be true with Crysis – it’s mechanics are lovely, but in a similar (though not nearly as pronounced as Bioshock) way, they’re single-player mechanics. Some games skillsets, however wonderful, don’t really obviously apply to multiplayer games. And this is talking as someone who really gave Deus Ex multiplayer a crack. Equally as true, some honed MP mechanics fall apart in single player – World in Conflict comes swiftly to mind for me.

At which point a mass of Crysis multiplayer lovers descend to explain while these feelings are amiss. And in my defence, I do say that it’s not nearly as true as I suspect it’d be for a Deus Ex or a Bioshock.

Meanwhile, a tiny SPOILERY update from Walker’s continuing Mass Effect Adventures.

John: Wow, I’m being asked to decide which of my team should go on a suicide mission.
Kieron: Say Alec!
John: I was going to make that joke!
Kieron: It’s a joke?

Night everyone.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Trousers says:

Is it just me or does everything crysis just scream “I’m so purty but terribly dull”

I realize everyone is wearing the same suit and driving the same tank, but there just seems to be no personality in this game (or this trailer).

2. Monchberter says:

@ Trousers:

I’m afraid poor Mr Crytek caught ‘space marine syndrome’ around the end of 2005. Sadly it looks like a recovery is nigh on impossible. We’ve managed to surgically remove the substantial huge metal shoulder pad ‘tumours’ but the client just isn’t responding any better than Mr Bungie who’se in a critical condition, and Mr Valve, suffering from a bout of ‘Freemanitis’ encasing his whole body in some sort of power armour.

My prognosis is grim but take a TF2 pill a day from Herr Doktor and hopefully your FPS will be partially immune.

;)

3. N says:

The mjolnir armors from Halo go easy on the eye at least… and the problem I have with TF2 is that people apparently have Fanta orange in their veins instead of blood… not satisfying

4. A-Scale says:

I actually don’t need any more crysis.

5. Deuteronomy says:

TF2 sucks ass. Can’t wait for more Crysis.

6. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Since we’ve heard that Crysis Warhead will be better optimized, I might just give it a shot. It may actually run on decent settings on my computer. Hopefully the alien enemies will be as interesting as the human enemies were in the demo for the original. Just because I’ve never played the full game doesn’t mean I haven’t heard things. Lots of things.

But TF2 will hold onto my MP heart for quite a while longer, I’m afraid.

@Kieron: Oh, you.

7. kuddles says:

September is going to be one happy month for me. I never would have thought at the beginning of this year that along with all the other great releases coming out this fall, I would be getting more Crysis and more STALKER so soon.

Speaking of which, I hope this is a trend. After Deus Ex came and went, I assumed open-ended shooters were a dead concept. Now I’m getting STALKER: Clear Skies, Crysis Warhead, White Gold, Mercenaries 2 and Far Cry 2 in the same three month period.

That said, I’m not interested in any of these games for their multiplayer component, so you may have something there.

8. subedii says:

You say that Irrational never got any multiplayer off the ground, but I wouldn’t say that’s true.

SWAT 4 has a very awesome multiplayer and co-op game attached to the singleplayer, and it’s still being played quite a lot even today. Heck I just finished a game with a few friends about five minutes ago.

To go by the gamespy stats, it’s still being played even more than Crysis right now:

Maybe not exactly as popular as Counter-Strike, but the fact that you can still no shortage of games even today speaks volumes for it.

SWAT 4 co-op is pretty much unlike anything currently on the market. Few people ever seem to remember that Irrational had a go at that series before going back to their standard RPG’s. You can really see the attention to level design, and crafting stories through that design in those missions.

9. Bhlaab says:

It is true that Crysis doesn’t exactly have an emotional center, but come on. It’s German, what do you expect?

10. Bhlaab says:

Kuddles> Whoa whoa whoa, White Gold’s been dated?

11. A-Scale says:

TF2 sucks ass. Can’t wait for more Crysis.

You are the anti-christ.

12. Crane says:

Ohhh yes, TOTALLY seconding a recommendation for SWAT4 multiplayer.

13. RiptoR says:

Crysis should have gotten a coop mode imho. Maybe even with some specially crafted coop missions that don’t even have to relate to the SP storyline.

Always thought it would have been cool to sneak through the jungle with one or more friends, and ambush a bunch of enemies. One of us could provide a distraction, while the rest attacks.

Could have been good for the modding community too this.

14. subedii says:

Co-op would have been brilliant if it could have been implemented. Problem is that given the number of enemies, complexity of the AI, and sheer size of the islands, I don’t think co-op would’ve ever really been possible.

Which is a pitty. Co-operatively working to assault a base from different angles, setting up opportunities and feints for each other and providing support for each other probably would have been amazing.

15. Requiem says:

When I first played the demo and saw the rest of the team on the plane I thought fantastic, the game was going to be like Ghost Recon with super suits. It would of made up for the nanosuit being so rubbish to have a squad to lead.

I’m so fed up with saving the world by my lonesome.

16. AndrewC says:

He’s not the Anti-Christ, he’s a very silly boy.

17. Joinn says:

Well, Crysis was fun until the ET’s showed up. No ET in sight in this video, so I’ll probably buy it.

P.S. Thanks for not linking 1up video :)

18. subedii says:

OK my opinion on the co-op just changed when I read this over at Eurogamer:

Crysis senior game designer Bernd Diemer has said that co-operative and zero gravity multiplayer modes will have to be added by the modding community – using the Sandbox editor provided.

Crytek would loved to have added the content itself, he told Eurogamer.de in an interview, but it just didn’t have time.

So instead of putting in the one feature that would make this game truly incredible this time around they’re… developing the multiplayer mode that nobody really plays and is done better in a half dozen other franchises.

Instead they stated that the “community” ought to do it.

I’ve been a supporter of this game for a long time, I think it’s brilliant, but if this is the way they’re going, I just can’t help but feel they’ve been far too stupid by half.

The lack of co-op was a huge disappointment. Them saying that they could have made it but wanted to focus on the other warfare mode instead just… makes NO sense to me at all.

19. Kieron Gillen says:

Crane: I completely didn’t realise SWAT4′s multiplayer had done so well. When Levine talked about Bioshock multiplayer and their previous games having little success with multiplayer, I presumed it included SWAT4.

That’s great though – SWAT 4′s MP is splendid.

KG

20. Turin Turambar says:

Mmm a good amount of things to say, lets see:

1. Yep, Swat 4 is great. Of course they mantain ther playerbase by the lack of competition. How many multiplayer games play like Swat 4? Not a lot. So if you like that style, you have to play it in this game.

2. I played the MP beta of Crysis, i remember how it wasn’t very good, and i am speaking about the overall design, the flow of the matches didn’t feel right. And let’s not speak about the balance.

3. Also, i heard that they didn’t release essential stuff like Linux version of the dedicated servers. :/

4. More interesting, i have to ask. Why the MP of Crysis plays like it plays, so different than the style and pace that people loves in the single player section?.

I think they should divorce more of the traditional multiplayer style of shooters where you respawn and go running, using vehicles, capturing points, dying and respawning again, and make something more close to the “real” Crysis, the single player experience. Not cooperative campaing, still a real multiplayer game, but with another style. Something slower, where you can sneak in the grass, observe the enemy base with the binoculars, try to approach with a friend and get the objetive, etc. And no, you can’t use that deliberate pace in the actual multiplayer game of Crysis, not if you don’t want to lose, as the enemy will go running and capturing every resource point and blowing up your base from far away.

21. subedii says:

I think Turin has a point. The gameplay of the multiplayer mode is almost completely at odds with how the singleplayer plays out. Instead multiplayer is far more frantic, and I would argue less strategic on a personal level.

Something a little slower paced and more deliberate may have suited the game better.

22. A-Scale says:

Game:Welcome to Crysis: Warhead
    PC: Energy Critical
    Game:Single player
    Game: Load Save “LOLOLOL”?
    PC: Energy Critical
    Game: Maximum Speed
    Suit: Energy Critical
    Game: Make sandwich to restore health?
    Suit: Maximum Sandwich
    Suit: Energy Critical
    Player: FUCK
    Game: Rest to restore your health?
    Suit: Maximum Sleep
    Suit: Energy Critical

Crysis plays a lot like a guy with mono.

Comment on this story