Quest For Quest For Glory II Complete!

By John Walker on August 26th, 2008 at 1:22 am.

Spelt Dddjddjjggnniii or something.

Quest For Glory II: Trial By Fire, first came out in 1781. Ever since then (well, really for the last eight years), AGD Interactive have been working for free to update it to the, er, mid 90s, and realise the game in VGA. This may sound like a special kind of madness, but it is in fact just special. You see, Sierra Online remade QFG I in 1992 to match parts III through V in 256 technicolour glory, but somehow part II never escaped its icky, 16 colour, EGA prison. And if you’re incredibly old like me, you’ll remember that it was a fabby game, that entirely deserves prettying up. (Go to the bottom of the post for a compare and contrast).

Using the wonderful AGS system, AGD have completely redrawn and reanimated the entire adventure-cum-RPG in painstaking detail. But more than that, hugely more, they’ve rewritten it to be a point-and-click game, requiring no parser interface. And it’s free! From here!

“Parser interface?” youngsters ask in their hideous, youthful voices. You see, us old folks remember a day when controlling an adventure game required typing everything into a text interface that hovered over the graphics. The last dying gasp of the text adventure, it meant to explore a game you needed to remember what everything was called, and having the think of the precise way the developers had intended every stinking question to be asked. Of course, it was also a source of enormous fun. Play the early Larry games, and Al Lowe had anticipated all sorts of naughty things you might have thought to type in, producing ideal sniggersome results.

I heard that too.

And so AGD have left the parser in as an option for the lunatic hardcore, but completely removed it for those wanting to play like they’re not a strangely eloquent caveman. This means they’ve built dialogue trees completely from scratch, letting you plough through all of the relevant subjects you might bring up with any character. There’s a proper inventory. They’ve fixed that daft bug where you could repeatedly sell the Dervish beard. You can still import your QFG I character. They’ve even gone through and removed all the hideous alleyways you spent most of the game lost within, making the town make a lot more sense to explore. (Of course, the ridiculous original setup is also in there for loonies who think that sort of rubbishness was fun).

I think the QFG series are too often forgotten when fondly remembering the Good Old Days. In fact, I think the entire Sierra Online catalogue is woefully under-celebrated behind the wall of LucasArts classics. QFG especially for daring to be a big bit different from the rest, with RPG stats and combat making the games much deeper than their brothers and sisters.

According to the EULA on the (free) game, the Sierra Online copyrights are used with permission. Quite why they’re not trying to sue AGD into outerspace is a question we shall not ask, but instead loudly champion their forward-thinking reasonable attitude to a (brace yourself) 18 year old game (yes, you’re that old). Unlike certain other LUCASARTS adventure games LUCASARTS companies I could care to LUCASARTS mention, whose stupid spite and greed prevents fan projects like this from being finished and released.

Original:
Computers were RUBBISH!

Newfullsome:
Computers were still RUBBISH! (but a bit less)

Big thanks to Ian Tyrrell.

, , , .

1. Error1 says:

The VGA QFG1 was my favorite DOS game of all time. Defiantly going to check this out. I remember someone doing this for the early kings quests too.

2. John Walker says:

Same team. Thems good people.

3. nichevo says:

My God, I am that old!

As for the maze-like alleyways, I think that was an effort at copy protection. A map was included in the game box and it would have been a pain to get far in the game without it.

This idea only sort-of worked because it was before the days of ubiquitous internet, but after the invention of the photocopier.

4. Jojo says:

1781? Really?

5. Will Tomas says:

I salute these gentlemen. The dedication of fans – particularly geeky fans – never ceases to amaze me.

6. Simon says:

This lot made a prettier and beefed-up King’s Quest 2 a few years ago that was utterly ace, and I enjoyed it so much it that I sought out some of the other earlier Sierra games I’d missed. Quest For Glory II was my favourite of those by far. I was hooked and had it cracked in a few otherwise empty days, so I’ve forgotten most of it since then. I’ll deffo be playing this shortly, fantastic news!

7. noname says:

Downloaded this earlier tonite and played for a bit, awesome game. I remember we used to play QFG 1-4 on our english classes at elementary school because our teacher had them and guess he thought it’s cool way to get kids learn english. Of course all the kids made their own disks too and we played after school at home too, QFG, King’s Quest, Larry games, Space Quest and whatever Sierra made along with Lucasarts games too.. Good times :-)

By the way, we didn’t have any kind of fancy maps or stuff, but we made our own. Took some time and effort but was well worth it :-P

8. Hmm-hmm. says:

Is it just me who thinks the old version is better-looking?

Maybe that’s me thinking back of the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade adventure game..

9. Zonderic says:

The past of video games was so, so brightly colored.

10. Grey_Ghost says:

“Quest for Glory”… never did like that rename, it’ll always be “Hero’s Quest” to me. Loved both the first and second, they did something in the third that pissed me off, so I never played it or any other after that. I think it was the game forcing you to pick a class type when I went to import my characters.

I bought the remake of the first one, but I never could get into it. The original just had something about it, always thought it was better.

11. Pace says:

Holy crap, somebody remade King’s Quest II? Whoa, so nice. Something about this makes me feel all warm inside.
    Yes I’m apparently old enough to remember that one too, but in my defense, I was probably 7 in my first attempt at the game. I didn’t have a clue what I was doing, but it sure was exciting.

After some googling, I managed to find a download for it, the original site seems to be down. Thanks for the tip guys, and maybe I’ll do a little better this time!

12. mister slim says:

But I am a strangely eloquent caveman.

>post rps
    RPS has been posted, to Glory.

13. RodeoClown says:

Big thanks to Ian Tyrrell.
    Thanks John, I was wondering if you’d got that email :)

The same group not only remade KQ2, but KQ1 as well.
    This is a much, much larger project – it’s taken about 8 years.

And the game is even awesomer than when I first played it!

When I downloaded it, I saw that not only is the game itself great, but the extra stuff they’ve packaged in (like the famous adventurer’s correspondence course) makes it just like a real Sierra game.

At their site there is a CD cover you can print out to make your own little jewel case with.

They’ve thought of just about everything.

Now to see if the x-ray glasses Easter egg is still there… ;)

14. Frank says:

glad to hear it
    EDIT: but not that i’m really that old

15. Smee says:

Is the Wild West game on their site any good?

16. Psychopomp says:

“8 hr 5 min 50 sec”

DAMN YOU DIAL-UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP.

17. Martin says:

I am even *older* than that.

AND PROUD OF IT!

18. Beefeater1980 says:

So, so pleased about this. Holy return of happy gaming memories from the early 90s, Batman!

19. Bobsy says:

Mmm. Not going to argue on the whole spite/greed thing, but aren’t Lucasarts at least allowing the continuation of Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth? Okay, so it’ll never get finished, but still.

20. Pseudonym says:

And now, just make a version of QFG4 that isn’t bugged to the point of unplayability, and all will be right with the world. (Except for the starvind children, and lepers and stuff)

21. Esha says:

I’m going to have to give this a shot. I have to admit though, I’m a black sheep because my favourite Quest for Glory (Hero Quest!) was the third one. The red-headed stepchild that everyone else seemed to dislike but I loved.

It was partly thanks to the game mechanics (which were actually pretty fun if one wasn’t too pedantic about them) and partly to do with the incredible proliferation of human-animal hybrids in the game. Oh yes, a game from an innocent era back before everyone became too scared to put a human-animal hybrid character in a game because of the inevitable outcry of “zomgzfurriz!!1″.

Bitter? Angry? Noooo~… Okay, well maybe a little.

Damned drop-out lulz-cult ruins everything.

/mutter /grumble

Where was I?

Oh yes! I’m going to give this a try anyway, because Quest for Glory II was actually my second favourite! it also had an incredible proliferation of human-animal hybrids, but just not so much as the third installment. Enough to curry my favour though, despite the fact that I was always more in the LucasArts camp than the Sierra one.

…I just made a bunch of enemies with this post, didn’t I? Huzzah!

22. James G says:

I could never get into Sierra games, the seemingly random deaths annoyed me far too much. Hell, I remember playing one of the Space Quest games and I had just started, within about fifteen seconds a flying robot zoomed onto the screen and shot me. I don’t think I had even moved.

23. Pod says:

ACTUALLY Walker the original alleyway nonsense was copy protection. You needed a map to get round it :(

24. N says:

Talk about dedication…Thy did a sh’bangin’ job indeed. I think I still have my QfG1 character somewhere in my save folders, I’ll definitely check this out… The second game is the only one in the series I didn’t play due to the graphics, I’m a svga whore I guess… oh the lushness of it all…

25. Ozzie says:

Is the Wild West game on their site any good?

Well, there’s a demo. Personally, it disappointed me.
    I loved their version of KQII which is at least a thousand times better than the original one. I think I played through it 6 or 7 times. A very well written, atmospheric and quite open-ended adventure (there are many alternative solutions and it is at times quite non-linear).

Al Emmo is just not funny. Really, the humor is grating.

26. Geoff says:

Fantastic.
    I loved the QFG games, but never played 2 because I couldn’t cope with the graphics and parser. This is a glorious thing they’ve done. Also, I concur with Pseudonym – QFG 4 was the best, but too buggy to complete.

27. Calder says:

WOW is the first word to come to mind (and not the addictive, life rotting kind). I first played the QFG series when I was like 12 or 13 when they re-released all the games as a set. I even remember being so hardcore into it as to suffer through the parser interface with my half-retarded barely teen mind. The fact that its been updated so that my horribly impatient post teen mind can re-live the adventure is nothing short of amazing!

Now If only I could find a find a fix for the QFG IV swamp glitch that works on XP/Vista my life can be complete.

28. CLLMM says:

Calder, I suggest Dosbox so you can slow it down at that point or use the timer patches from http://www.tawmis.com/collector/Patches-Updates/Patches-Updates.html

29. Xander77 says:

Huh. I really hoped I’d like the game this time around… but it’s still unpleasant, and the added bugs + the fact that a bunch of puzzles are actually made harder due to pixle hunting…. yeah.

30. Okami says:

Ok, so I went ahead and downloaded the game. Created a character, talked to everybody, got lost in those darn alleyways for hours (and I played with the simplified system), found a money changer to.. change my money, got lost in those darn alleys again and finally made my way back to the inn, where I bought the map.

Hooray for the map! At last I can just click anywhere in the city I want to go to. So I go the fountain plaza and buy a basket. Because I liked the cat that sold it. Since I had the basket on my cursor, I immediatly clicked with it on the first thing in my path, which turned out to be a guard. Which told me that the basket had been stolen from it and then arrested me and hacked off my hands.

Restart Retry Quit

*sigh* It feels like I’m 14 all over again..

31. Quirk says:

Me, I’ve got stuck at a point where I’m being asked a question (would I like to share tea?) and seem to have no means of answering “yes”. What am I missing? Even switching to the parser’s not helping.

Edit: found it. Apparently I have to click on myself with the talk cursor…

32. Okami says:

Not again. Another sudden death that I just couldn’t foresee.

Ok, that’s it. I’ve had enough of this game. The next person who tries to tell me, that games were much better “back then” and that nowadays games are just “dumbed down” I’ll punch squarely into the mouth.

This game is so full of dead ends and sudden death situations that it hurts! I’ll never again complain about Oblivion’s quest markers or anything like that. Challenging games are one thing, but games where you have to save every 5 seconds, because you never know which action might lead to a sudden death, without even getting so much as a hint are just plain unfair and lazily designed.

33. Xander77 says:

Also, the combat is freaking stupid.

I’ve contrasted and compared with the original game. In it, going into the desert with a starting thief character, engaging in combat with the first thing that crosses your path and spamming “attack” is a guaranteed win, several fights in row. In this game, doing the same with a starting fighter, at the minimal difficulty setting is an insta-death. Bullshit.