Max Payne Movie Trailer: Blimey

By John Walker on August 30th, 2008 at 1:08 am.

No reason this shouldn’t get a post. The Max Payne trailer looks incredibly cool. (Tampon adverts on the front: odd choice).

__________________

« | »

, .

1. kadayi says:

Cheesy Saturday afternoon fun is not always a bad thing ;)

2. Muzman says:

While this does look ok so far, I feel I must be a party pooper and mention how great the trailers for Transformers and 300 were. Two completely abysmal films.

3. Kitt Basch says:

“It’s a bloody metaphor!” Should be the tag line for the film, in case too many people get confused while watching it.

OMG, I wanna hug Beau Bridges, he’s so cuddly!

4. Jay says:

Man, those tampons are fucking hardcore

5. Rei Onryou says:

I can’t help but watch that and imagine the Max Payne 2 theme tune (the one played by a member of Apocalyptica on the Cello) playing instead and how much better it would have been, actually recreating the feel of Max Payne. And also, you know, a little homage to the fans of Max Payne, who, if not for them, there wouldn’t be a movie.

Oh, I really hope they do this justice. As others have said, this is the first game to movie conversion I care about. I don’t want them screwing it up.

6. Pod says:

Pan-teen?
    It’s pan-ten you fucking Ditz. Christ.

Does Max Payne use Panten ProV?

Anywahn, this trailer looks quite good. I’ve never cared for other Games->Film conversions, but this one at least looks interesting. There were many scenes in that trailer that were directly out of the game. And what a good game it was. Not good enough to be a top 10er, but definately good. People who say otherwise are silly.

also: Wasn’t “A New York Minute” insanely fucking hard?!

7. Ian says:

I still have no idea whether I like the look of this or not.

8. Duke says:

I don’t understand why everyone is so sure the valkyries/angels/demons are anything but fancy movie metaphors. I don’t see them actually doing anything to imply they are anywhere but in Max’ head.

In one scene Max runs towards a guy standing up against a wall. The camera angle shifts and we she the guy being dragged away by a valkyrie. So either the valkyrie represents Max’ anger/vengeance/drug-rage or simply the valkyrie coming to ‘reward those who die in violence’. Or a little of both.

In another scene we see a Valkyrie flying towards a window in an explosion. The second the window breaks the Valkyrie vanishes.

We see Max kneeling holding his head and screaming as they circle his head. We also see the entire skyline behind him burst into flames as he screams and in another the room being torn apart.

To me this all looks like it’s supposed to be in his head. Although if the entire movie is like this from start to finish and we only see it from his point of view it’s really up to you to decide whether they are real or not :P

9. Willem says:

Man, now I really want to buy some tampons.

10. Funky Badger says:

No, no, no, no, no, no, no. This is all wrong, Max Payne (I) is Frank Skinner, as any fule kno.

11. Real Horrorshow says:

Wow, did the quality of comments here suddenly pitfall over the past day? Seriously, the naivete(sic) some of the above comments have over the drug stuff is almost youtube-worthy.

Seriously…

12. Jochen Scheisse says:

BTW, I guess that MP movie will be watchable, but I reserve my high pitched screams of awe and joy for the Prince of Persia movie, which up to now has the most potential, because the game actually has a story and the movie is not produced by Uwe “Franchisinator” Boll.

13. Diogo Ribeiro says:

I’m fine with the metaphor as long as they don’t overuse it. But there were certain moments in the game – the looping and nearly endless hallways filled with the cries of his baby, the shootout with a doppelganger which mirrored his own guilt – that were much more revealing of his psyche than the CGI stuff the movie seems to carry.

Also, while I have nothing against the sometimes adorable Mila Kunis, the movie really needs Kathy Tong.

14. Valentin Galea says:

any thing with Ludacris in it is a big NO NO in my book

15. Dreamhacker says:

Im somewhat disappointed with his voice :P

16. Little Green Man says:

OMG nothing to do with this but there are 5 new Fallout 3 Vids on Kotaku. Also they reuse Lucien Lachance’s voice in it. Anyone who’s played Oblivion will know what I mean. Looks cool, but even more like (in the towns) and less like Oblivion (wastland and fighting) than I thought.

17. James T says:

No reason this shouldn’t get a post.

I’ve got two, can anyone beat two?

18. Forceflow says:

Sure, the valkyries are in Max’ hallucinations … but why does his love interest see them too … uh-oh.

19. Funky Badger says:

People think a film with Wahlberg will contain metaphor? Have we learnt nothing?

20. Jochen Scheisse says:

Wahlberg isn’t that bad. I liked him in 3 Kings, 4 Brothers, The Perfect Storm, The Departed and Boogie Nights. Can’t see why there shouldn’t be metaphor in Max Payne just because Wahlberg is in it, especially because the metaphors in MP are about as subtle as the Russian foreign policy.

21. Hornybeast says:

Cool looking movie and i also have an urge to buy female hygene products

everyones a winner baby!

22. klomfom says:

Real valkyries dont have wings, duh!

23. finchDenton says:

Mark Wahlberg will always be Marky Mark to me…

Other than that, the film looks potentially better than mediocre. However, they may ruin it by try to be too stylised.

24. Funky Badger says:

3 Kings is a good/great film despite Walhberg. The Corrupter is a decent/good film despite Walhberg.

He’s a one trick pony, and the trick isn’t very good. When you’re being comprehensively out-acted by Ice Cube and Spike Jonze you really should take the hint…

25. Jochen Scheisse says:

No sense in arguing about aesthetic preferences without getting personal I guess. Soooo, I shall suspect your sexual preference to be the kind you really don’t like, I shall say more or less degrading things about your loved ones who I don’t even know, and I shall conclude by calling your aesthetic preferences fitting for a person keeping such company and having such manners. Word.

But whatever you think about Marky Mark: I believe there’s much to get wrong with the MP film, but all this talk about subtle nuances in the games is just your memory glossing things over. I like inner monologue and hard boiled stories as much as the next nerd, but MP is not The Glass Key.

I think the worst problem that movie could have is really that they screw up the inner monologue thing.

26. Grey_Ghost says:

Yeah I really hope they aren’t trying to incorporate a Constantine type setting into Max Payne, please god let Max be trippin on Valkyrie or something!

27. Pidesco says:

For this to be a true Max Payne movie all the New Yorkers must look like they’re Finns.

Also, the writing should be atrociously pretentious.

28. Fumarole says:

I’m surprised that no one here has commented on the fact that Max Payne is the game adaptation of Payback.

29. Phil White says:

Is the belief really that Hollywood *can’t* do a game justice? Populist butter spread most widely, as always, I’d say.

Even if this were for the fans, that’s still a demographic. Everything but genuine art sells out if its creator has a thirst to advance an end.

30. Jochen Scheisse says:

What does Max Payne have to do with Payback?

31. Phil White says:

Wooden acting?

32. Abe says:

They’re not hallucinations. The movie is exactly what the trailer makes it look like – it’s Max Payne: Monster Hunter.

It’s weird enough that they’re making a movie out of Max Payne. The only reason the franchise is unique (besides the bullet time mechanic), is because it’s one of the very few games that uses noir and Hong Kong bullet opera as its main influences, rather than the usual hodge-podge of sci-fi, fantasy, and militaristic wankery. Take the story out of the game and put it into a movie, and it’s not unique at all, or even particularly well-told for its genre.

Maybe that’s the reason they’re adding the supernatural hoodoo – to give the film some sort of identity. But it just seems like an awkward and unnecessary addition.

33. Jochen Scheisse says:

I’m afraid Abe is right. I checked the homepage, and:

“As the mystery deepens, Max (Mark Wahlberg) is forced to battle enemies beyond the natural world and face an unthinkable betrayal.”

MEH!

34. Subjective effect says:

The game has its tongue firmly in cheek though. It doesn’t need this rubbish.

The casting of both Max and Mona is all wrong and now we know it’s Max Payne: Demon Combatorian it all adds up to one big fat meh.

35. Rath says:

I was actually looking forward to this more than anything until I heard Red Dwarf is back next year. Now Max Payne must settle for the number 2 spot on the anticipation list.

36. Funky Badger says:

Jochen: I suspect they’ll do the voice-overs in the same heavy-handed way they did in the games.

*shudders* Can just hear Walhberg’s dead tones thudding down like coffin, err, splinters…

(But what I really want to see is a Dick Justice film)

37. Zyrusticae says:

“Beyond the natural world” could just mean “the world in his head”, y’know…

38. Nimic says:

Okay, I was under the impression that the demons are all just his hallucinations from the effects of the drug, and that’s even what the trailer would suggest. But the actual film description seems to say that there are actual paranormal enemies, which will be unbelievably shitty.

39. Kennel says:

The “official” film description seems to be BS according to several people who have read the script.

40. malkav11 says:

I do believe that is the first videogame movie trailer that’s filled me with anything but dread. I’d be really surprised if it wound up being better than mediocre, but since that’d still be light-years beyond most efforts so far, I’d settle for it.

And, actually, the previews for 300 and Transformers were entirely accurate – they were terrible, and so were both movies.

41. simonkaye says:

Well, look at it this way – it just has to be better than the Wing Commander movie.

42. Jochen Scheisse says:

After watching the trailer another time, I really disagree with Mila Kunis more than with Mark Wahlberg. That woman looks like an 18 year old stripper, not like the hottest woman in video games ever. I have half a mind to open an online petition and demand Kunis’ face to be digitally replaced by Julianne Moore’s face from the time she starred in Hannibal.

43. Anoid says:

Im just waiting for the bit when Max fights a cyber demon with a chainsaw thats going to be awesome,

oh wait this isn’t doom. but im sure it’s not max payne either, what the feck is this?

44. Phil White says:

As some of you will know, Korean talent would’ve probably made this a magnificent watch.

45. Seth Tipps says:

Not that this conversation needs another post, but it must be pointed out that Mark Wahlberg did get a role that was nothing but Metaphor; the Happening. Whether or not that was a successful metaphor (one that conveyed it’s meaning to the audience) is an argument for another day. But the fact is Marky Mark has had several roles (I Heart Huckabee) that are of a deeper nature.

46. GarageGothic says:

According to this GamesRadar article, the valkyries are definitely hallucinations:

He’s hell bent and – judging by the twisted nightmare-visions of winged gargoyle beasties – possibly hell bound… “The hallucinations are a side-effect of this drug that’s been leaked onto the streets,” says Wahlberg.

47. LionsPhil says:

Looks like Remedy did a better job of noir-stylings than these filmmakers.

And what the hell did they do to the soundtrack?

Re: Payback—the hell it has to do with Max Payne is that, stylistically, they’re a close match. The plots may differ, but the feel is right. In fact, it looks like we’re not the only ones to think this.

48. Mattress says:

Marlo from the Wire plays some weird pseudo Voodoo gangster? …(miscast)…

Still, how could one say that trailer actually looks “good”?
    Fun maybe, but it looks like the kinda film that’d become tedious before the end..
    Let’s hope they keep the running just below 80minutes for this filmmovie.

49. Phil says:

“Video not available”

But I still had to sit through a crappy toothbrush advert that had to buffer for a minute?

Why doesn’t Yahoo just die already, seriously.

50. Club Penguin Cheats says: