Multiwinia: Rocket Riot

By Alec Meer on September 3rd, 2008 at 12:53 am.

Goodness, what a lot of tech problems we’re having with the site today. We’re hopefully on the road to recovery now, but it does mean my intended ramblomatic post about ancient horror RPG The Legacy: Realm of Terror will have to wait until tomorrow.

Instead, for today’s last snack you’ll find the latest video for Introversion’s upcoming slice of indie loveliness Multiwinia beneath the cut. This series of trailers takes a charming stylistic approach, hearkening back somewhat to the original Portal video, but with more polite British children talking about launch countdowns. The space race concept for this newly-revealed mode sounds loads of fun, while the actual game footage looks beautifully explodey as ever. Makes me even sadder that the preview code I was supposed to be receiving ages back never arrived. Hopefully this cheeky little number will be in all our hands soon, however.

Oh, and geeks may be interested to hear that this is the first ever RPS post written in Google Chrome. I’m sure you can really see the difference. Probably the first of many, though. ‘snice. Apart from the rubbish bookmark management stuff.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. RichPowers says:

That voice is absolutely perfect. In fact, there should be a game solely involving the cutesy and comical demonstration videos/pictures from Portal and Multiwinia. Maybe about eurotrucks or bulldozers…

2. Scandalon says:

I am amused at the option for a “High Def” version of the trailer.

3. CryingMinotaur says:

What a nice little coincidence… I just downloaded Chrome myself, and this is the first RPS post I’ve read on it (and tada.. the first comment I wrote on it, too). I like how they’ve done away with the title bar and used it for something meaningful (your tabs!), ditto status bar, which isn’t down there grabbing valuable screen real estate, but just pops up now and then to show you the occasional.. err, status message. It’s a detail, certainly, but it makes a real difference (let us not forget that it’s often because of little things like this that girl/boyfriends are dumped or wars waged). I like how your “home” page displays a gallery of the recent sites you visited which seems to be actually meaningful/comprehensible, as opposed to the somewhat puzzling “most visited” (or whatever it was) bookmark thingy in Firefox 3. Not so hot: Vista-style buttons/colour scheme on my XP setup.. that never fails to stick out like a sore thumb.

And oh, cute Multiwinia trailer, btw.

4. PleasingFungus says:

Yeah, I’m reading this in Chrome as well. It’s okay, and much lighter-weight than Firefox (faster to start, eats less memory), but it doesn’t have NoScript/Adblock, which makes me sad.

Also I really like these Multiwinia videos, though the fact that EVERY ONE OF THEM seems to lag in the actual “gameplay” section is odd.

5. Okami says:

Yay! Looking forward to this. Darwinia was the first ever indie game I bought as well as the first game I bought digitally. Still has a special place in my heart.

6. Cathartis says:

I’m pretty looking forward to this. Will it have the same amazingly high unit counts as in Darwinia?

I’ve just downloaded chrome, and met it with initial confusion. I think it’s starting to get natural once i’ve played with it for 15 minutes or so.

7. Little Green Man says:

Looking forward to this…

8. Ginger Yellow says:

OK, I’m sold on this now.

9. Sax says:

Yeah chrome is fast and simplified a bit to simple for my taste.
    btw: You should unmark the User statistics thing in the options.
    And you may read the Privacy Policy

@PleasingFungus

The memory usage is distibuted among many processes, so it isn’t that small.

10. kadayi says:

Nice Video, but although they are going for a retro ok, they could still do with someone polishing up their multiwinia logo and font etc as it looks like junior school boy back of the Art class ass atm. Retro logos and fonts can be v.sexy beasts if the time is put into them, the ones in this just look cheap unfortunately.

Also giving Chrome a whirl. Impressed with the speed of the thing, but the bookmarks aspect is an issue. Otherwise it’s all good so far.

11. Ginger Yellow says:

They can’t really change the font without losing design continuity with Darwinia, which is kind of the whole point.

12. Okami says:

reading the gametrailer.com comments for this video made me sad and angry.

13. Kieron Gillen says:

Okami: Yeah. Man!

KG

14. kadayi says:

@Ginger Yellow

A perfect opportunity to repackage both then ;)

@Okami

Ignore GT comments, the place is full of so many vacuous spamhounds it’s never worth worrying about. Review scores matter more generally. However bear in mind these people are used to super slick trailers, Introversion are a little less rigourous in that respect.

15. RichPowers says:

Ignore comments from YouTube, GT, Gamefaqs … anywhere but RPS really ;)

(The “Meet the Sandvich” video on YouTube has two pages of frustratingly stupid comments dissecting the premise: two BLUs chasing one RED heavy to the fridge. Are people that hopeless?

16. Ginger Yellow says:

There must be a law describing the invariable and remarkable stupidity/inanity of commenters on streaming video sites. If not, I claim it.

17. CryingMinotaur says:

@Ginger Yellow:

XKCD said it best ;) On a slightly more serious note, you might be interested in this:

The solution we’re creating is simple: an open-source filter software that can detect rampant stupidity in written English. This will be accomplished with weighted Bayesian or similar analysis and some rules-based processing, similar to spam detection engines. The primary challenge inherent in our task is that stupidity is not a binary distinction, but rather a matter of degree. To this end, we’re collecting a ranked corpus of stupid text, gleaned from user comments on public websites and ranked on a five-point scale.

In the early days of the project, they had tons of examples of stupid comments found in the wild, which you could rate on perceived stupidity – these were ALL gathered from YouTube. Sadly, I can’t find them anymore on the site. While on this topic, here’s another practical solution.

(Just a note re: Chrome – you might want to know this).

18. Ginger Yellow says:

“XKCD said it best ”

It always does. Seriously. XKCD is the internet’s crowning artistic achievement, in my opinion.

19. Rufus T. Firefly says:

The internet’s crowning artistic achievement is Achewood, of course. Particularly this one. (OK, I might be biased since I bought a print of that one.)

The tutorial rocket level is one of my favorite Darwinia elements–I am glad to see them develop that into an entire gameplay mode.

20. MeestaNob! says:

Nice to see the green Darwinians winning for a change, the last few videos they have been getting a pasting. Red bastards.

I’m a bit worried about the ingame grabs. The frame rate looks very poor, is this just some odd graphics capture problem, or is the updated engine horrid?

21. Unheard Of says:

While using Chrome, I’ve noticed some of the adverts on this site are awful. The floating “safe count” bar is particularly obnoxious.

Oh yes, the game. More Introversion! Yay!

22. Adam says:

Thank you for such a great post.