Demigod Footage

By Jim Rossignol on September 5th, 2008 at 11:23 am.

So the left over footage from PAX includes a few minutes of Demigod footage with some detailed developer commentary. The explanations highlight your demigod’s character development as you play – the big old central unit in your battle will grow stronger and expand in powers during each bout against another demigod. So it’s that whole RTS-but-ooh-we-have-RPG-stats-for-heroes thing. The footage also give you some idea of how the game plays – a fairly fast-paced action RTS, via way of the tower of Babel and cosmic battle-chess. It’s looking good.

The limited beta, which should begin any day now, will be available to folks who pre-order via Impulse.

, , , .

1. Lorc says:

Wow – this game’s release has snuck up on me. If it weren’t for my aging machine necessitating a demo trial, I’d be pre-ordering as we speak.

2. A Disembodied Voice says:

The beta is going, I just played a couple of games against the AI.

3. affront says:

There’s time yet, Lorc, release is planned for February.
    edit: Well, nevermind, they actually mentioned that in the video, doh.

Besides, “So it’s that whole RTS-but-ooh-we-have-RPG-stats-for-heroes thing.” might give the wrong idea here, at least for the assassin type heroes. They play basically exactly like DOTA (balance aside, but it’s beta, so whatever).

4. duel says:

for a demigod thats so large, theve made everything seem awfully small

5. affront says:

duel: it has Supreme Commander – style “tactical zoom” (it’s running on the SupCom engine), so you can zoom however you wish and also use the zoom to navigate around the map instead of scrolling.

6. Synoptase says:

Yeah, proportions in the footage seem to be altered. If I look back at other trailers (certainly enhanced), the demigod looked massive, squashing and crushing all those tiny units…

Did they scale down the entire world … ?

7. affront says:

Just checked the proportions of the trailer against my beta and it seems like they are the same when fully zoomed in. Only difference is that I didn’t find a way to change camera pitch (I’d guess it will be added or I was just too dumb to hit the right key :P), and so it doesn’t look quite as good.

8. Butler` says:

A very pretty DoTA without the micromanagement!

9. Jochen Scheisse says:

I played Armada Online Alpha for my DOTA needs up to now. Might check out Demigod though.

10. Jochen Scheisse says:

And I’m for giving Relic their due and calling it Homeworld like zoom.

11. Voidman says:

Are there any other environments beside different hanging cobblestone platforms?

If not then I wait for an expansion, maybe

12. James T says:

“It’s like the Supreme Court, there’s four dark gods and four light gods…”

Gold!

…The game itself doesn’t look terribly entertaining to my eye, although it might be interesting to see a ‘general’ type in action.

13. Ginger Yellow says:

Ah, that explains it. I was completely baffled when I saw Demigod available for pre-order on Impulse. I thought they were just being cheeky.

14. Kitt Basch says:

The thing where all the little minions walk through the giant walking tower really bothers me.

What’s the point of having this immense monster if it can’t crush legions of soldiers with a single footstep?

15. Fat says:

Agreed, Kitt. You’d want some sense of power like that since you’re some huge Demogod powerhouse. You should be able to just stomp through minions and they should just make more and more minions per spawn so that there’s more to wipe out since it’d be easier.

But to me, looks like DOTA… with less features.

16. Wolfox says:

@affront: keep the space bar pressed and move your mouse to change the view angle.

17. Real Horrorshow says:

Looks boring tbh

18. EyeMessiah says:

As a Dota et al fan, I’m officially jazzed.

19. Heliocentric says:

the game really is beautiful. Like a mainstream version of sacrifice. Shame the game seems a little to simple.

20. Powerhaus says:

Damn this game looks entertaining. How’s the beta shaping up?

And in other news, the DOTA players of RPS need to assemble for some games, too many retards on bnet.

21. MeestaNob! says:

@ Heliocentric
    Sacrifice was a mainstream game, it just didn’t sell. As with everything Shiny had a hand in.

22. Crane says:

If I didn’t resent DOTA for putting an end to custom map making for Warcraft III, I might be more happy. Still, it -does- look awesome.

23. Heliocentric says:

To me, if you don’t sell, good quality or not, you are not mainstream. You do not tell the stream, the stream tells you.

24. Heliocentric says:

¥ no edit on mobile site.
    I see this game selling well, its cross targeted at sup com fans and wc3 fans. But mainly i mean the game is petty enough that people who judge a game by the back of the box will get it.

25. MeestaNob! says:

I think the worst thing about this game is that it will undoubtedly be using GPG’s GODFUCKINGAWFUL multiplayer client.

It’s the one that installs patches chronologically rather than taking the closest all-in-one patch to update your games.
    It’s the one that will always download patches that fail to patch correctly on freshly installed games, then upon failure will continue to patch again and again with Supreme Optimism that eventually the stars will align and it might just work. And doesn’t. It will then cheerfully tell you to re-install your game. That’s 10gb and 20 minutes later people.
    It’s the one that makes GameSpy stuff look brilliant.
    Above all it’s the one that makes you wonder why you cant just run online games from within the game you’re trying to play.

Gah!

26. innociv says:

MeestaNob!
    No, it won’t.
    It’ll use Impulse which won’t do that.
    AFAIK it downloads/installs the FILES themselves, not .exe installers.
    So it will just update which individual files you have which are old, and not keep downloading/installing multiple old versions of that file.

And you can verify the install to fix any files if any files get problems rather than reinstall.

I’m in the beta.

27. MeestaNob! says:

Interesting, anything will be an improvement.

Any idea if the retail version will be using Impulse software too?

28. innociv says:

Yes of course.

A big part of why Stardock is publishing it is to push Impulse like HL2/CS:S pushed Steam.