Jumpgate Evolution, shooty footage

By Jim Rossignol on September 8th, 2008 at 6:50 am.

Reader Handsdown spotted that there’s another remnant of PAX footage that we hadn’t yet posted – the cam-footage of Jumpgate Evolution in action. I do believe this is the first time we’ve seen the game played live, and it’s clear that it’ll be important to see how this works as an action game, as much as an MMO. NetDevil were very much inclined to talk up their action-game with AutoAssault, so I hope they’re able to pull it off with more precision in this, their second run at the Jumpgate concept. The footage we see here sees the player taking on some enemy ships – it’s pretty, if rather slow-paced. I suspect with a group of people we could see some interesting space-combat dynamics, especially if NetDevil figure out some ways for players to support each other in that classic MMO way. Take a look at the trailer after the jump, I think you’ll be intrigued.

Still no confirmation on that beta…

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Fashigady says:

I’m really hoping this turns out to be a good game, a sort of Freelancer MMO. *cross-fingers*

2. phanteh says:

It’s looking very much like a Freelancer MMO… I’m hoping that there’s gonna be a bit more depth to the combat though.

Someone should do a version of Eve with direct spaceship control and combat. Now THAT would be somthing I could play till I die

3. Bananaphone says:

Looks a bit simplistic. Are there capital ships? Command structure? Space stations?

I’m hoping Egosoft make a space MMO once they’re done on the last X title.

4. Calistas says:

Jumpgate was great fun back in the day. Team and guild-play were both a thrill, but the game was marred by lack of content and players. If they can revamp it and shove more content in then it should be a lot of fun.

5. Josh says:

I’m hoping this game will have similar aspects as Allegiance, which was (and remains) tons of fun. Assaulting enemy bases with buddies on your wing (or in massive capital ships) is sorta, you know, awesome.

6. Jochen Scheisse says:

The control scheme looks a bit simplistic, probably mouse controlled.

7. Carlo Zottmann says:

@Jochen: just like in the original game, you’ll be able to use a joystick to steer your vessel. Or your mouse/keyboard, whatever you prefer.

8. Guido says:

I do hope there’s more than “move and shoot” in this one. Rockets, different shots, some kind of non-trivial interaction to make things interesting. I’m over the auto-attack kind of combat myself.

The graphics look really nice though, and with good controls and quests it might be just the thing :)

9. schizoslayer says:

I want Nexus for Capital Ships, I-War 2 for Piracy and Trading and Freespace for Fighter level combat. All in one game please.

10. EyeMessiah says:

Also there better be ship-subsystem micromanagement. I used to play TF with a friend who wasn’t very very good at action games and so he would pilot and i’d watch and fiddle with his shields, weapon powerloadouts as necessary. Not quite as much fun and playing on my own, but still enjoyable in its own way!

Also Freespace was da bomb. Da bomb that blew up da sola system!

11. Nilocy says:

This looks very nice. Hopefully you’ll have a wider range of ships than freelancer. I’m kinda hoping for a cross between that and Eve-online. Less waiting around to kill and more control over what you do.

12. coyote says:

In the world of the future….

Turrets have been forgotten.
    Your enemy has tunnel vision, moves in graceful arcs and secretly likes to be shot at.

13. Aubrey says:

Control scheme is like my control scheme for K2. But more polished. And more likely to actually get finished. But with less gesturey stuff.

I’m not completely nuts, then.

14. KingMob says:

I played this for fifteen minutes at PAX and had a lot of fun.
    The 1-4 level experience was a bit simplistic, but I wasn’t asking for much… just staying in pace behind bad guys, shooting them up while evading fire from their friends.

Oh, and the mouse-and-keyboard controls worked just fine. The mouse wasn’t that sensitive but using WASD for acceleration / deceleration / juke left / juke right felt good after a few minutes.

15. Kommissar Nicko says:

I actually like EVE’s combat system. After all, in space, it’s a better idea to let the computer do the shooting anyway.

AGH! Here’s an idea! Instead of aiming at the ships, you select targets, and then select the error margin just in case the opponent is wiggling around to throw off your computations. Also! Missiles! Timing! Set to seek? Set to detonate in space? YOU DECIDE! It would be like Democracy…IN SPACE! WITH KILLING!

16. schizoslayer says:

This has now completely put me off. Levels? PAH!

17. Arathain says:

It looks a bit… floaty. I know it’s in space and all, but yer Freespaces and X-Wings had a good sense of weight to them, which made combat more tactile and punchy.

Still, early game stuff, I guess. Interested, with a dose of skepticism.

18. CogDissident says:

The original Jumpgate: What if you made a MMORPG, and nobody showed up?

I still remember that in Jumpgate, I’d die (and loose my ship/equipment) more often trying to dock with the station, and I’d die to other players.

Comment on this story