Plain Sight’s Unplain Site

By Kieron Gillen on September 8th, 2008 at 7:41 pm.

Robo Crazy?

Actually, it’s pretty plain, but we like the design aesthetic. Anyway – after Bioshock, I’ve still got a hunger for retro pop applied to videogames. After finally seeing Wall-E on Friday, I’ve got a hankering for tiny cute robots. And ninjas? Hell, I can always go for ninjas. Hence the trailer for fortcoming XNA-powered PC-game Plain Sight caught my eye. And that was before I noticed the game’s subtitle: “Kill Yourself”. SUICIDE IS BEST OF ALL THE CIDES, TRY IT NOW. Er… video beneath the cut.

Actually, Pesticide is also pretty groovy.

In short, as explained on the agreeably iconic instruction page: “Notice the sword. This you use to kill other robots to steal their points. More points make you bigger, stronger, better – a happier robot. The Crux: you only get to bank your points if you blow yourself up.” Blow more people up, more score, respawn, adventure, excitements.

Indie multiplayer game cuteness with a bold design sense: I’m going to keep an eye on this one, if only because their FAQ explains the games’ name by saying it’s called it because “Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble was already taken.” And – er- the players are always in Plain Sight.

(Actually, that reminds me I’ve got to get back to playing Dangerous High School Girls In Trouble. Man! Videogames.)

I was going to post about this anyway, but I’ve just noticed Declan Shalvey a comic artist of my acquaintance of mine has done art for Beatnik Games’ site do nepotism doubly insists I do. Next week: what my mum thinks of Assassin’s Creed. Teaser sample: “You seem to spend an awful lot of time standing in that gray room”.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Diogo Ribeiro says:

She probably thinks some of the characters at least have the decency to cover up their less stellar ‘tasches with cowls :lol:

Just kidding ;) That game mechanic looks pretty interesting and anything that visually emulates Tron usually gets my vote. Now, if only I had an Xbox.

2. Andthensobecause says:

Sometimes the whole self-ironic approach to promotion can be obnoxious, but the presentation here is so joyous.

3. Clicky says:

Looks ridiculously awesome to me, mostly because very high jumping is my favouritest thing ever. Is this a multiplayer only game, because I didn’t really notice anything about that on the home page

4. Kieron Gillen says:

Yeah, MP only. Says in the FAQ. Hopefully will be having a look at it in the next few weeks since they’re based in London

KG

5. The Hammer says:

<3 Wall-E.

6. Aubrey says:

God, what week is it? “Unwittingly Create games Bezzy’s had on his mind so that he can’t without being called a stealer” week?

I swear this looks almost exactly how I envisioned a 3D Rezzy platformer. I am not original enough :(

Looks pretty great. Looking forward to trying it.

7. Martin says:

Was I the only one that missed that you changed RSS feeds without telling anyone?

Or did you tell everyone except me?

8. Edgar the Peaceful says:

Great film. Went with my 7-year-old daughter not expecting much and got pretty choked up at times.

9. King Awesome says:

Yes, I suspect its just the artists drawing inspirations from the same places (2001), but the eve style futuristic robots looked very Portal and Combine esque.

Also, post apocolypse with Louis Armstrong ( or a sound-a-like) playing over the top? I was getting a strong Fallout vibe from that part.

Plus 8-bit end credits!

Most videogamey influenced movie that’s not a videogame movie?

10. aldo says:

Um, not in the slightest, myself. Great movie though – I think my wife wants a wall-e for christmas now.

11. Taxman says:

“Did anyone notice a slight Valve-ish influence in the Wall-E aesthetics? Some of the white black and red ‘baddy’ machinery/robots reminded me of Combine gear.”

Nope didn’t see it myself if anything its Valve who have been ripping off Pixars style of late, TF2 is blatantly a rip of The Incredibles art style & I imagine that “inspiration” is working its way into other Valve titles.

12. Clicky says:

The first thing I thought of when I saw the longer Wall-E trailer was that the female robot looked exactly like a Portal turret without legs.

13. Crispy says:

You can tell this is indie because the video never once describes how you gain points. Not once.

It tells you how to get point multipliers and how to steal points, but it doesn’t say how you earn points to begin with. It looks to have something to do with jumping on things, but neither the name nor the video explain this implicitly.

Now go to the website and check the ‘What is’ page and the FAQ. Nope, still nothing to tell you how you get points. It’s tragic that an interested party cannot find out the raw mechanics of the game by visiting the main site, and a mistake that is all too commonly made by indie games: assuming that their game design is obvious to the would-be player.

P.S. Kieron, according to your spelling of ‘gray’, your mum is American?