NonScoop: The Force Unleashed Not Coming To PC

By Alec Meer on September 8th, 2008 at 10:44 am.

Luke: I am your father's chum

Edit – direct from LucasArts – “I can tell you definitively that there is no PC version of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed planned. I would assume Vik was talking about a PC version of Digital Molecular Matter.”

Vik Sohal has also been in touch to say this is all nonsense. Heavy sigh. Apologies for the false alarm. I can promise you our source was absolutely convinced by what he told us, and that we’ve got a recording of the exact quote below (and can provide it to terrifying lawyers if necessary), but guess Vik Sohal just expressed it badly and our source got the wrong end of the stick.

It’s crazy that this isn’t already in the wild, but turns out plans for a PC version of heavily-physicsed Star Wars Sith ‘em up The Force Unleashed were quietly revealed at NVIDIA’s recent NVISION 08 conference. RPS’ super-secret spy at the event has sent us an audio recording of Pixelux Entertainment (the company behind The Force Unleashed’s physics tech) COO Vik Sohal saying this in the middle of his talk about game physics:

“It’s just been released last week on the internet, the Force Unleashed demo on both the PS3 and Xbox 360. We have a PC version as well.”

So there you have it. I’m pretty sure this is an exclusive, but it’s possible I’m just really bad at using Google. Big thanks to RPS’s super-secret spy for this.

He also goes on to detail that “we did rely heavily on GPU acceleration” for the game’s physics (possibly via NVIDIA’s CUDA tech, but as that would leave anyone with an ATI card hanging, it’s perhaps unlikely), making this most likely the first high profile game to implement this much-discussed concept.

Unfortunately, The Force Unleashed isn’t garnering great reviews. But hey, it’s nice that the PC isn’t left in the cold.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. cyrenic says:

A mediocre overhyped game isn’t actually coming to the PC during an already overcrowded holiday season? I am SHOCKED and OUTRAGED.

2. Nero says:

Ah, good old Lucasarts, never forgetting where it all started. Lucasarts is a joke today, nothing like in the old days. It’s like they hate PC these days.

3. Diogo Ribeiro says:

What? No PC version? But my carefully constructed joke… And the Pullitzer award winning defense of Republic Commando and subtle trashing of a Bioware game! All undone!!

4. aldo says:

It’s like the Pc is Kenny Dalgleish and they’re Paul Dalgleish…

5. Cigol says:

In the end they couldn’t find a PC powerful enough to compile the code on. Typical Lucasarts to pretend RPS were wrong all along when we all know the truth.

6. Heliocentric says:

the mean score of 2008 pc games just went up.

7. Iain says:

I’m getting this on the Wii. As far as I’m concerned, I only want to play a game where you have a lightsaber if you have a control set that lets you flail your arms around like an octopus on ecstasy.

As for the “no decent Star Wars games in the last ten years” debate; KotOR doesn’t count? LEGO Star Wars? Or are they not canon enough?

However, I do have a very soft spot for Jedi Academy and I’m always going to back to blast/slice my way through the single-player campaign. Quite a few of the levels in the middle tier especially are pretty sucky, but I have a lot of fun with it. Though if you ask me, Star Wars games were all downhill after Supremacy (that’s Rebellion to non-Brits)…

8. Heliocentric says:

kotor is a bioware game. Look at any of their titles. Lego? Thats a harder point to argue. They clearly get what made star wars fun.

9. CitizenErazed says:

Iain: Agreed. Was most disappointed to find out Empire at War was nowhere near as good.

10. Jigglybean says:

Supremacy was incredible! It just had one of the steepest learning curves ever!

Empire at War was decent enough. The space battles were alot of fun. Unfortunately, alot of the good stuff was removed by LucasArts to make the game more ‘accessible’. My friends at Petroglyph did want to include a lot of features that were in Supremacy but it never made the final cut.

As for TFU not coming to PC – I couldn’t give a flying f*** as it doesnt have multiplayer

11. JonFitt says:

I think we need to compile a list of “Games Companies That Have Betrayed the PC and Fallen to the Dark Side”.

Lucasarts would obviously be the top of the list, but who else can be named and shamed?

Epic?

12. Pew says:

Supremacy/Rebellion was awesome. Hell, I might even dust that off now that Spore has failed me.

Too bad it’s not coming out on PC’s after all, I know enough Star Wars fans without consoles :(

Does anyone know what Laurence Holland is up to these days? We neeeeeeed a new TIE Fighter/X-Wing game. Preferably TIE Fighter.

13. Nick says:

Wait.. why are we upset that LucasArts aren’t taking a crap on a blank disc and selling it as a PC game?

14. redrain85 says:

Hearing this news is highly amusing, because yesterday I sent an e-mail to RPS with a snapshot of an ad from nVidia, that seemed to imply Force Unleashed was coming to the PC.

I pretty much wrote it off as wishful thinking, too. But sent it in anyway, for a chuckle. Now, I’m beginning to wonder . . . I mean, Rockstar denied GTA IV on the PC for months, but then finally owned up later.

15. sigma83 says:

Bungie, definitely.

BioWare, purely for Mass Effect (imagine the game it COULD have been if they developed for PC)

Hrm.

Bungie again. AGAIN.

16. O.G.N says:

I don’t suppose this could be a rare case of listening to the consumer?

A few people on the lucasarts forums have expressed a preference for a PC version.

17. Iain says:

@heliocentric: “kotor is a bioware game.”

You say that like it’s a bad thing… BioWare certainly understood the essence of Star Wars a whole lot better than Obsidian did. And don’t forget that Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy were done by Raven, not LucasArts, but no-one seems unwilling to class those as “proper” Star Wars games. I think it’s more to do with iconography than anything else, but personally I think KotOR is more of a Star Wars game than something like Empire At War, which I thought was pants, by the way.

You’re meant to be running A GALAXY. It’s not meant to be streamlined and accessible! And since when did the Imperial Fleet have a unit cap? Rubbish.

18. sigma83 says:

Iain: Heliocentric probably meant the reverse, that kotor being a bioware game was a good thing

19. Josh says:

*sigh*

I guess LucasArts can indeed be that stupid.

I now renew my previous quiet celebration that the game is receiving poor reviews.

20. Heliocentric says:

i love bioware titles, but they do tend tell the same stories in their games. Kotor was mass effect zero in many ways. I just pray dragon age will be baldur’s gate 3.

21. Erlam says:

Who the fuck cares. Mediocre cash in sucks, and won’t taint the PC market. It’s hard to imagine fucking up ‘take guy by the neck with force, toss him around’ but by God, LucasArts managed it.

22. Whiskey Jack says:

Well, as we say in French… POOPY!

23. kadayi says:

Nothing 360 bound is ever coming to the PC, until it eventually does about 6-8 months later. The same BS about PCs can’t handle ‘Teh Console Awesomeness’ abound with every upcoming console release, yet time and again the money train calls into the PC station further down the line. There is a market on PC, and it’s only a fool who turns away from it. Even Halo 3 will turn up on PC once MS have saturated the entire 360 market.

24. RichPowers says:

Microsoft to us: We <3 PC gaming!
    Microsoft to devs: Here’s a bag of money to keep you from releasing a PC version of your game until 10 months after the 360 one.

Anyway, if the Metacritic scores are any indication, the game isn’t worth playing in the first place. As a wise man once said: nothing of value is lost.

25. Josh says:

Aw man too bad I don’t have a console to play this awesome game! I only spent $2000 on my PC that I built myself this year, there’s no way it could handle this game. I can’t believe I didn’t realize that a $300 console is just so much better and more powerful than a $4000 PC. LA must really be smart to know these things, they must also make great games because of their vast intelligence. /sarcasm

Also M$ can take their exclusives and shove them where the sun don’t shine, I won’t ever buy one of their consoles for me or anyone I know as long as I live.

26. Diogo Ribeiro says:

@lain:

Funnily enough I always felt the opposite. I’m prone to dedicate more playing time to the Jedi Knight series than KotOR. It may be due to preference alone, but… As a role-playing game, it somewhat stood head and shoulders above the competition, but as a Star Wars game it reminded me the reason why I’ve outgrown the movies – everything is so cardboard cutout and hamfisted that I can’t muster the will to see through it again.

I never really cared for my party members, who suffer from the “I will interrupt you every once in a while to remind you that we need to hurry and stop the evil ones, but will have no problems with suddenly spurt out trivia about my emo past in search of acceptance by my peers and/or trying to find someone to copulate with” syndrome. Jedi Knight is the opposite – to some, in a bad way, as it’s quite minimalistic on character development – but I see it as a triumph of letting people enjoy its gameplay without using artificial elements to have them appreciate it.

Combat was also a big turn off. While it’s arguable just how well each game is actually modelled on SW – none of them actually employs lightsaber abilities such as being able to cut through a wall, for instance – Jedi Knight had those wonderful moments where combat came to how you managed personal shields and reflexes, with well timed and placed blows cutting through the opposition. Whereas Bioware just turned lightsabers from being vorpal swords into pointless magical swords that only required you to stand there and queue actions until the opposition fell lifeless on the floor.

This isn’t meant to take credit away from Bioware, of course; there’s something positive to be said of their rendering of SW and turning it into a fairly vibrant gameworld. But the above complaints, plus the way how certain situations were handled in terms of role-playing (I couldn’t stop laughing when Revan, the eeeeevil destructor, was forced through hoops at the Sith Academy as if he/she were a mundane character), were quite off putting.

By comparison, JK seemed to focus exactly on one of the more endearing elements of SW, and did it well. Less if often more.

27. BibB says:

I’m pretty sure a q6600,geil 4gb and 8800gt would play this easily at max. Thats only about $400 and fine hardware for the money. They’re talking shite because i believe they’re scared of rising piracy on the pc platform.

28. Charlie says:

That is not possible for $400 that’s £200! I’ve noticed a trend with Pc gamers to claim you can buy better PC’s than you can with the money. I’m not saying PC gaming is as expensive as people say but you cannot buy that spec PC for 200 quid. A q6600 is £130 quid so unless you are going to steal the motherboard, hard drive, case, monitor, all the perepherals and gfx card I don’t see how you could do it.

29. Funky Badger says:

70-odd percent on Metacritic isn’t worth playing. Umm, isn’t that around what S.T.A.L.K.E.R.C.L.E.A.R.S.K.Y. has got?

This is a harch new uber-critical world we live in.

30. Console_gamer says:

lol saw this linked from a forum, what a sad state this is. PC gamers are apparently so desperate for new titles they misinterpret meanings to the point where a game might be announced for PC. The site managers should really be more conservative in these matters because all it serves to do is get people excited and then lets them down.

Next up, PC gamers go back to their typical sour grapes routine when it turns out the game isn’t coming to PC.

31. malkav11 says:

Q6600 = ~$190. 4GB Corsair DDR RAM = ~$80. 8800gt = ~$110. All on newegg.com.

If you’re just upgrading, and you already have a motherboard, power supply, and case capable of dealing with that hardware, then you can indeed do what he mentions for under $400.

Though I think most people would probably at least need a new motherboard. If you’re upgrading your CPU and it’s the same socket type and everything, it’s not generally much of an upgrade.

Also, I suspect those things would be overkill. I ran Assassin’s Creed almost-maxed on just a 2 ghz dual-core Athlon CPU, 2 gigs of Corsair DDR RAM, and SLI-ed 7600GTs. (That’d come in sub $200. If you could still get my model of CPU or 7600GTs.) I can’t imagine why any 360 port would need more specs than Assassin’s Creed.

32. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Dear Console_gamer,

Considering how optimistic we RPSers are about our gaming platform of choice, I wonder how or why you’d characterize us as “sour grapes.”

Meanies, perhaps, but that’s the nature of the internet.

Hugs and Kisses,
    The Indispensably Superfluous Mr. Jasper

P.S. We also play consoles, too. Not like anyone’s stopping us.

33. Erlam says:

“lol saw this linked from a forum, what a sad state this is. PC gamers are apparently so desperate for new titles they misinterpret meanings to the point where a game might be announced for PC.”

Did… did you just say that the PC library is smaller than the current console one?

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

34. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Erlam, be nice, he’s the sort of person who needs our pity and support. A donation of just one dollar a day can feed him, and help give him an education.

35. Charlie says:

Wow 190 dollars is a bargain. It’s 130 quid on UK sites. For that price I would be upgrading! Though the spec you said is very similar to mine. e6600, 8800gts and 2 gigs of ram. Was thinking about upgrading recently but nothing really stretches it that far yet. A few games I can’t max out but still high, and most things maxed run real smooth.

When will PC’s make a big jump ahead of consoles? I thought it was usually about nowish.

36. Jeff says:

To Lucasarts,
    Thats for nothing Shvina!
    From a pc gamer with a damn good rig at about $1400.
    shvina(piggy in slavic).

37. Max says:

Hi my name is maksud i wayting game Star Wars Froce Unleashed from PC
    I from in Uzbekistan i love Star Wars way all new games create for Xbox PsP way not create for PC version

38. Real Horrorshow says:

At least now that they’re killing off their internal studios and going to use third parties to develop titles, perhaps it won’t be just their say when it comes to what get’s released on which platform.

39. Darth Cuddles says:

Firstly console_gamer I think you have justified what Yahtzee Crosshaw meant by PC gaming master race vs. Console pesantry. Now that thats out of the way I want to say &%*$£& to lucasfarce for abandoning the platform that made them. I’m not complaining as the missus has a 360 and was gracious enough to let me play on it (so she gets to play spore^^) and I found the game fun. However by principle I think I shall avoid lucas games in the future as this has really taken the cake. The only good game they released recently was Republic Commando which was epic to say the least. I mean I used to look at how jedi’s cut up super battle droids and think ‘Why would they make them so weak?’ lol never again. Furthermore it wasnt just raven who did JK2 and Jedi academy, luca$art$ had a hand in them too. Also I would like to apply my opinion on KOTOR 1 and 2 with regards to bioware, they are not games that would give a good SW experience but then they arent supposed to. The SW experience is to be able to run around like a god and dismember things with a laser sword, whereas Bioware is a roleplaying game producer. I am a big rpg fan and I often use tabletop (or analogue^^) as a benchmark for roleplaying aspect and seeing as bioware is at the top for actual roleplaying content I think its a bit of an oxymoron saying a bioware SW experience but thats just my handle on the subject. Getting back to the point I dont think this game is a PC game, fps games belong with a keyboard and mouse, platforms belong on the console. It’s a nice arrangement and after playing through TFU I think it would become boring and tedious given the high standard of both content and general playability that PC gamers expect. Its a good console game but alas it is not good enough to grace the PC. We have had some crap in the past that started on a console and it never sold. If you want to play it that badly get a console.

40. 33Speedy says:

I just hope there will be a PC version…I’ve seen some videos and i guess it’s a great game.

41. Артур says:

Hello!!! I’m from russia! Star Wars force unleashed like me!

42. andy45 says:

To compose is very dauntless decision. I hope you’ll suspect more the pressures that may push customers into using writing services, and the ways we might try to handle those crushing and not simply compound them. Anyway, thanks for the conception for civilize the materiality of essay writing for those who value it as a affection of learning exercise.

43. Hasim Ozyigit says:

44. Oki Servis says:

oki okiservis oki servis oki gezici servis oki anakart onarımı oki sıfır yazıcı satış oki yerinde servis arıza tespit ücretsiz oki ikinci el yazıcı oki teknik servis oki 3320 3321 okitek oki 5520 oki 5521 oki şerit oki kafa oki printhead oki mfp b4520 oki ml320 oki 590 oki 591 oki laser ml 4410 b410 b430 oki b2200 oki b930n oki c3300n oki c3450n oki c3600n oki c5750n c5950 oki b2520mfp c3520 mfp 3530 mfp

45. Club Penguin Cheats says:

46. Koxp says:

hey clearly get what made star wars fun.

47. Toner Kartus Merkezi says:

boğaziçi bilgisayar
    gold bilgisayar
    penta bilgisayar
    arena bilgisayar
    pcgold bilgisayar

48. bookwormat says:

A game like “The force unleashed” would be very difficult to sell via digital distribution. Because every email containing this title would be instantly categorized as spam.