TaserStick Included

By Jim Rossignol on September 12th, 2008 at 7:58 am.

Kotaku spotted this awesome piece of homemade costume-craft up for sale on Ebay. It’s a full Half-Life 2 Combine Metrocop outfit, which apparently even has a voicebox thing to make you sound even more like the game’s grumpy evil policemen. The reason for this authenticity is that it was a prop from a short movie, “The Combine Interview”, which – along with a closer look at the item itself – I’ve linked after the jump.

It’s currently bid for at $202.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Holy crap, only $202? Damn my budget.

2. Heliocentric says:

now we know how barney got his.

3. Ben Abraham says:

That film was actually really disturbing.

4. Satsuz says:

The Combine Interview is riffing on that Tom Cruise Scientology interview, btw. Freaky, awesome stuff. Never before have I wanted to both laugh hysterically and crawl out of my own skin at the same time. It’s a strange sensation.

5. Esha says:

That was a wonderful bit of parody work, and it actually made me laugh. And I think it’s amusing they tied it in with the watered down version of transhumanism that Scientology likes to use to keep its people in line. Change the mind, change the person. It’s like RaĆ«lism too, which peddles a consumer-happy version of a less mainstream philosophy, and those taking it up simply think it’s new because they haven’t heard of it before, or because it’s been made accessible to them.

This brings an interesting point to mind, though; in this video, the Combine are trying to sell what they are to those watching as a consumer religion. That’s not quite how I see the Combine, myself. They’re a little more militaristic underneath all that, but it’s somewhat scary that I can actually see some parallels there. Of course, that actually makes the Combine a little scary, something which I never really found them to be (I always thought of them as walking bullet-bags and little more).

I suppose though, with the way Breen tries to sell it, they almost could be an alternate-dimension consumer religion that went militant. It all started with a friendly guy on television telling the alien slugs back home how much better it could all be.

I’m never going to be able to look at the Combine in the same way again. Gah. They’re going to be so very creepy now.

6. gulag says:

@Esha

You’ve hit the nail on the head. The other thing that comes across so strongly in the games, and makes them so easy to hate, is the fact that they are essentially traitors to the human race, trading in their humanity for a uniform and a place in the New World Order. Which is always a lousy thing to do, especially when the time comes around to hand out the crowbar beatings.

BTW, you might want to put a password on your computer…

7. Naurgul says:

I liked the video. It was nice. I can see the parallels with religions (commercial or not) although I haven’t watched the scientology video it’s supposed to be a parody of. I’ll have to agree that this isn’t a video the Combine could use to persuade people, especially because of the depiction of the rebels. Maybe it’s meant to be a documentary made after Earth was liberated from the Combine? :p I can certainly see it as something like that.

8. Crane says:

The movie was… actually really goddamn awesome. It could easily have been a Valve promo.

9. Crispy says:

That video’s a nice piece of work. The bit where the Combine’s just staring at the rebel getting the crap beaten out of him is maybe the most psychologically disturbing.

10. Nuyan says:

That movie is quite cool, yes.

But as for Combine soldiers in the real world.. A year ago I saw a photo in the newspaper that kind of gave me a big deja-vu. Look at this. Seems to me that Georgian riot-police got just as scary outfits.

11. Leelad says:

Not bidding as there is no promise of being able to police the streets of litter dropping fools.

Very impressive though.

12. Chaz says:

If you get hit over the head with a crowbar whilst wearing it, do you make that dying radio noise “Crrrrrkkkkk EEEEEEEEEEE………!”?

13. Quater says:

Hmm interesting, I definitely picked up the parallel with the Tom Cruise Scientology interview things, even though I didn’t know that was an intentional reference beforehand. It’s a great film, the only problem with it being the actor’s overly self-consciously evil laugh, which is just distracting and detracts from the quality and professionalism of the rest of the film.

I don’t get the impression it’s supposed to be an advertisement for the religion as such, just a sort of private study interview, maybe circulated among Combine troops rather than broadcast publicly. Good stuff.

14. joesyze says:

Great vid. That Nuyan posted pic is mental too. Life and Art.

15. Smee says:

Well, it’s a nice costume, but over $200 for it? Simply ridiculous, and a massive rip-off. The mask they used goes for about $20 on eBay (I think it’s a Russian Officer’s mask?); voicemitters about $5 from Army Surplus. Add in a skullcap and you’re done. It’s an evening’s work, tops, and can be easily done for less than $40. What a rip.

That interview was the best parody yet of the Tom Cruise video, but it makes me more frustrated over the only problem I have with Half Life 2/Episodes. That is, the Civil Protection are never, ever humanised. If you’re not paying attention to the dialogue, you’d be forgiven for thinking that they’re just other robotic Combine hybrids. Just because some citizens call them traitors does not a strong villain make.

A single scene where Gordon crawls past a Metro Cop guard room and overhears a conversation between two about the rewards/sacrifices about joining the Metro Cops, or a view of someone changing into the uniform, would be all that’s needed. I remember there was loads of that sort of thing from the Army in the original Half Life. Why not for the Civil Protection?

Edit: Just re-read and saw it’s for the whole costume, not just the mask. It’s still default Army Surplus stuff, though. I’M STILL RIGHT, GOD DAMNIT

16. sbs says:

Smee: If another… perspective on the Combine is what you crave, I can recommend the Minerva Mod. Set shortly before the events of HL2, it ties in neatly with the Half-Life Universe.
    It definitely altered the way I see in the Combine.

17. Valentin Galea says:

They ruined it:( Looks like a mouse face:)

18. Steelfist says:

It would be fucking awesome to just wander around at halloween with that on ordering people to pick up cans.

19. CrashT says:

I like how it’s Freeman himself who delivers the final blow.

20. ape says:

The combine officer really sounds like Tom Cruise does when he’s interviewed.

21. Billy H. says:

Smee: As far as humanizing Civil Protection goes, there is a woman standing in line for rations at the train station that mentions joining Civil Protection “just to get a decent meal”.