Avert Fate

By Jim Rossignol on September 16th, 2008 at 8:50 am.

There’s very little to the single level build of Avert Fate, and by the Gods of FPS that mouse acceleration is absurd! Nevertheless the little tech demo shows off the capabilities of the Unity engine rather competently, while at the same time allowing you to shoot a handful of robots. If you’re downloading it then don’t expect too much, it’s simply a two minute taster.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Jonas says:

Oh yay Unity. I hope they’ll get off their arses and make the SDK Windows-compatible soon.

2. Senethro says:

Mouse acceleration in an FPS is a sin against nature.

3. RiptoR says:

How in earth do you floor the big guy?

4. Will says:

And, just like the shitty Doom 3 Engine, the frames-per-second is smooth and high, but there is up to two seconds of lag between mouse+keyboard and movement in game.

Also: I don’t notice the mouse acceleration. I decided the other day that it would be to my advantage if I could play with it on, so I could turn faster to react to people behind me. So I loaded up UT1, set the frag limit to 999, turned on mouse acceleration and set speed to 120% and just zoned out for the afternoon.

5. Torin says:

I developed on the Unity engine for a course. It’s quite the cracking engine and development is absurdly simple.

6. sbs says:

Will: With today’s Mice, mouse accel is pretty much useless. You can be much more precise and be able to turn around fast with a high sens. mouse accel is just too inconsistent to allow for steady aim, and reliable flickshots are almost impossible. The muscle memory doesn’t seem very adaptive when you add a certain speed of movement to the equation.
    At least that’s what I gathered from my experience. So yeah. Boo to mouseaccel.

7. Nero says:

While the tech was nice and I made it to the end, man that mouse acceleration has got to go.

8. Senethro says:

sbs: high sens for twitch aim, low sens for tracking aim.

But sadly, what games require tracking aim in this day and age?

9. Esha says:

I managed to break it within fourty seconds of playing.

Wahey, water! Sploosh! … No sploosh? Sky? There is sky beneath water? Am I in Oz now? …how do I get down? Yes, run around little ships, for I am now your inanimate hominid God. …this is fun and all, but seriously, how do I get down?

After restarting the game, I had a cracking time and it really is a grand engine, it has all the graphical effects and whatnot down pat and it runs beautifully even on the highest of its settings, which shows its developers cared enough to optimise. So I quite enjoyed myself.

I admit though that big robot baffled me for a few minutes too.

My roomie wasn’t of much help either…

“His fingernails are his weak point obviously, they’re so flimsy. Shoot the fingernails!”

10. LoTekK says:

That was… underwhelming, to say the least. Combat felt meh, and the mouse smoothing/accel helped not one iota. Lack of any audio or visual feedback when hitting enemies hurts it pretty badly, too. Also, it kept bugging out on me, with my main weapon refusing to fire every so often, and a secondary weapon I picked up from a fallen enemy refusing to fire at all.

So aside from it looking pretty good, the overall experience was decidedly meh.

11. Ixtab says:

I enjoyed the sense of impending doom when the giant robot appears and you know this is going to be a tough battle… actually it was quite disappointing.

I ran about it for a bit shooting at it with the little peashooter thing because I’d used all my other ammo.
    Then it explodes.
    And I’m still not sure if it exploded because I just shot it lots, or if there was something special I did accidentally in order to blow it up.

Comment on this story