The Sims Top Ten, September 6th

By Jim Rossignol on September 16th, 2008 at 7:12 pm.

We don’t usually pay much attention to the charts, but I spotted the September 6th line up over on Shacknews and it amused me. And there’s a mystery…

1. The Sims 2 Apartment Life Expansion Pack / EA Maxis / $30 (Average)
2. Spore / EA Maxis / $49 (Average)
3. Spore Creature Creator / EA Maxis / $10 (Average)
4. World Of Warcraft: Battle Chest / Blizzard / $39 (Average)
5. The Sims 2 Double Deluxe / EA Maxis / $30 (Average)
6. World Of Warcraft / Blizzard / $20 (Average)
7. World Of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Expansion Pack / Blizzard / $29 (Average)
8. The Sims 2 Apartment Life Expansion Pack Limited Collector’s Edition / EA Maxis / $39 (Average)
9. Warcraft III Battle Chest / Blizzard / $39 (Average)
10. Crysis / Crytek / $33 (Average)

The Shack points out: “While some may not consider the appearance of Spore surprising, let alone magical, the game officially launched in the US on September 7–the day after the tracking period ended–suggesting that Spore managed to hit #2 without widespread availability.”

Weird, eh? Weirder perhaps is that Crysis somehow got in there. Shoo! Shoo! No top end envelope-pushing graphical masterpieces in OUR top ten!Tsk.

, , , .

1. Ben says:

I’m glad the PC gaming industry is so varied.

2. Noc says:

Bit of a disappointment here. I read “The Sims Top Ten” and saw a sweet little Spore-o-phone, and made the leap to assuming that it was a list of ten really sweet Spore creatures.

Then I found out that it was just a matter of Spore’s customer base being composed mostly of time travelers.

3. Pidesco says:

Who the hell still buys Warcraft III?

4. Okami says:

This is so sad.

5. mandrill says:

@Pidesco: People for whom their first experience of gaming on a PC was World of Warcraft and are interested in where it came from would be my first guess. Warcraft III is set in WoW’s history, so for a deeper understanding of the history of the setting it makes sense to play the game, its more fun than reading a book right?

6. Heliocentric says:

Mothers who have screaming brats who want world of warcraft are buying warcraft 3 by accident. Or asked, “whats like wow without the fees”. 2nd on maybe 2 days sales? Impressive, my soul simply wanted the sims to be genuinely ahead. Also, fuck drm and love you will wright.

7. yns88 says:

mandrill: Either that or DotA players who lost their CD Keys.

8. Lavitz says:

This list is really sad, because the sims is always there which is okay because it has huge appeal to a big audience but warcraft should not be there. The reason i think most games that are alot better in the current gen such as tf 2 , stalker, hl2 etc. They don’t even make the list? Why not? I think its because of marketing. Warcraft has a such big auidence from back when it was warcraft 1 that those people are telling there friends and you hear how many players are playing it and more people still purchase it. But unbelievable how that game is still there? Console games for even a ps2 don’t keep making the list like that. I just think pc gaming needs to be advertise not only on websites, but to more people. Like 70+% of my friend on xfire which consists of 140 active friends have no idea when crysis warhead is coming out or anything and these guys are hardcore pc gamers that have invested 400+ hours in cod 4 and css. I just think games need to marketed better and pc gaming in general.

9. endorphine says:

blizzard wins the money!

10. cyrenic says:

That list makes me think retail PC sales are quite low if a game that’s not even officially released yet can hit #2. They don’t release actual number of units sold anywhere, do they?

@Lavitz: http://store.steampowered.com/

11. EyeMessiah says:

Lies.

12. Jay says:

WarCraft 3 is a great game, so why not.
    After Starcraft probably the most played RTS online and not only for Dota.

13. Kismet says:

NPD Charts Creative Director (NPDCCD): “So, we need to decide the ten best selling PC games for this week. Let’s make it fast, I’m hungry.”
    NPD Charts Creative Director Whipping Boy (Whipping Boy): “We can just throw in the usual ones, a bit of The Sims, some World of Warcraft…”
    NPDCCD: “…some Madden.”
    Whipping Boy: “No Madden on PC this year sir.”
    NPDCCD: “Sure?”
    Whipping Boy: “Yes sir.”
    NPDCCD: “Damn! They’re making it hard on us. We need more EA titles to fill the top 10. Ideas?”
    Whipping Boy: “Well, there’s Crysis, not really recent, but definitely adds a solid PC flavour to the chart.”
    NPDCCD: “Fine. Mmmh 1-2-3…8-9. Another one and we’re done.”
    Whipping Boy: “Spore!”
    NPDCCD: “Already out?”
    Whipping Boy: “Yes sir.”
    NPDCCD: “Sure?”
    Whipping Boy: “Yes sir, torrent was already around yesterday and I can testify the crack works like a charme.”
    NPDCCD: “And it takes weeks to beat DRM systems nowadays.”
    Whipping Boy: “Indeed sir.”
    NPDCCD: “Spore second best selling PC title of the week then and I’m out for lunch now. Good work!”
    Whipping Boy: “Thanks sir.”

*hides*

14. edosan says:

Well, you have to admit that list reflects the stock of a typical Best Buy pretty well.

15. RLacey says:

It never ceases to irritate me that the Warcraft III Battle Chest seems to be incredibly easy to get hold of in the US, and yet is nigh on impossible to get for a sensible price here in the UK. Me is bitter.

16. ack says:

Kismet -> Win.

This list really tells the tale of branding.

17. mandrill says:

Yes, Kismet has it I think.
    EA buys their place in the chart, either directly through the use of brown envelopes, or indirectly by pumping money into marketing. Warcraft is thrown in to make it look kosher, and Steam is ignored as it doesn’t feed the high street retail monster.

It literally does look like someone has picked on the games that they’ve heard of and just shoved them in a list.

18. Jeeva says:

Ha. Kismet, …

Just… just nice. =D

19. Bare Echo says:

WC3 is probably an availability spike. Same thing happened with Starcraft a little while ago, I was trying to buy it, couldn’t find it in any shops or online stores (that I trust at least), then when play.com and amazon finally got a shipment it got into the charts. It’s now out of stock again. And I want to buy 2 more copies for my friends – irritating.

(And as for “why Starcraft” it’s because it’s the best game everyone in my house can run and can play without getting motion sickness.)

20. Cheeetar says:

The reason Spore hit 2 is because it was out in Europe and Australia and a few other places before America.

21. mister slim says:

Imagine what the chart would look like if Maxis hadn’t screwed up The Sims Online so badly.

22. Ian says:

@Noc: I thought the same. :(

23. piphil says:

Wouldn’t Spore be in the charts on pre-orders? Or does it not work like that…?

24. Ginger Yellow says:

Jesus. All but one are Maxis or Blizzard products, and only one’s a new game. I realise it’s still the end of the summer, as far as the game publishing season goes, but still. The digital download revolution can’t come soon enough.