Three Dead Space Trailers

By Jim Rossignol on September 16th, 2008 at 9:13 am.

Three! Count ‘em. These new bits of in-game Dead Space footage show off the ways in which you can slay, eviscerate and dismember your mutant/alien adversaries. Some of it involves shooting with space weapons. I know, I was surprised too.

And just in case that traumatised you, here’s a mood-lightening clip of Les Dawson playing piano:

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Ian says:

I’ll buy the game if Les Dawson’s in it.

2. Caiman says:

Dead Space has officially passed the “too much hype” mark. Just release the damn game.

3. Feet says:

I only watched the Les Dawson video.

4. fishmitten says:

How many more times can they release essentially the same footage before sites stop publishing it?

5. Dr_demento says:

Oooooh! Silent zero-gee gameplay with only your breathing and muffled shooting! This is the first thing that’s got me interested in this game…

6. Mark Stephenson says:

7. Fede says:

I only watched the Les Dawson video.

Same here! :)

8. Colthor says:

How many times can you install Les Dawson?

9. Mark Stephenson says:

@Colthor

Sadly his licence is long expired and the drm is pointing to a server that fell off the internet years ago.

10. MeestaNob! says:

I only watched the Les Dawson video.

Ditto.

Dead Space looks rubbish.

11. Seniath says:

I do wish they’d show some PC gameplay.

12. Jocho says:

How did the three Space Trailers die?

13. Colthor says:

@Mark Stephenson:

Aww :(

14. araczynski says:

no more DS trailers for me, going to spoil the game if i keep watching.

15. Caiman says:

That’s the trouble with all the hype games get these days. When I first saw / heard about Dead Space I might have bought it impulsively because I love the genre and the premise. But now that I’ve seen so much of the hype that sense of impulsive discovery has gone, and I doubt I’ll buy it. Perhaps this is why I mostly buy indie games these days, usually after I discover them accidentally. They’re available, they look good, bang – I’ve bought it. Come to think of it, the last commercial game I bought was… well, Pirates of the Burning Sea. And before that, I can’t even remember. But I must have bought about a dozen indie games in the last several months.

16. PJ says:

@ Meesta Nob – Dead Space looks rubbish? :D now thats a good one.

17. Evorez says:

Makes you wonder what the lifespan of a feature like “you have to dismember ‘em!” is. Especially in the context of promo material.

18. Thiefsie says:

Les Dawson channels Peter Griffin

19. PJ says:

@ evorez – more or less exactly the same as lifespan of fun in resident evil series, or headshots in CoD4

dead space is a shooter for fucks sake – what do you want from it?

20. Heliocentric says:

Is les available from the start or do you have to unlock him? Can the other characters use the piano? If not how did they balance it? Does this game appeal to the hard core les dawson fanbase or is it more focused on generating new fans. Do they have an rp solution to why les can survive in a vacume?

21. Steelfist says:

AI buddy talking to you over the radio giving you advice pretty much makes it 100% less scary. Aren’t you meant to feel alone and abandoned?

Rapid fire attacks which push you back and stop you from using a weapon you have to charge up to fire = incredibly, incredibly annoying, if past experience is correct.

Dead Space doesn’t look all that good to me.

22. Dave says:

I sure hope there’s a first-person mode. :(

23. Noc says:

It occurs to me that games are a lot more interesting to play than they are to watch.

24. PJ says:

there is no FPP mode

you are alone 90% of the time

NPC talks are rare

And yes, ppl shooting things is really something soooo boring that noone wants to do it. shooting is NONSENSE!

25. giovanni says:

It looks positively Silent Hill-ish. Sure, the weapons are a bit silly (especially the secondary rifle fire) but feel very visceral anyway.

26. EyeMessiah says:

What puzzles me is why they (GAME PEOPLE IN GENERAL) always get someone who clearly sucks at the game to make these videos.

27. Switchbreak says:

I can’t wait for Dead Space. It looks very event horizony.

28. Erlam says:

“That just looks rubbish. Every single video I’ve watched of this game makes me think every weapon is rubbish and the targetting (reticule) is shocking. The knockbacks are over the top and the 3rd person is annoying.”

My thoughts exactly — that is one of the worst goddamn camera angles, ever. Watch me be scared when I see… my back! Oh noes! Is that my shoulder? Wait, there’s a monster here? Oh…

29. MacBeth says:

The line gun video looks dreadful. Pretty, but dreadful.

Said it before but the more videos we see the more it shows – trying to dodge and kill a nasty monster looks deeply frustrating due to the movement and targeting being so unresponsive and imprecise.

@EyeMessiah: the worrying thought is that the person playing the game is actually the best they could find, and is being crippled by the controls…

So the questions are: are these videos recorded from a console, and assuming the answer is yes, does the PC version have standard mouse + keyboard controls which don’t suck the console ones apparently do?

30. Heliocentric says:

Eh. Who cares really, les is apparently exclusive to the 360 version. This game is getting far too much press and the videos make the controls seem terrible, call back when you have a demo dead space.

31. DSX says:

Mirrors Edge still gets the too much hype award imho, but this is for sure getting less and less interesting the more we see. Fighting in a vacuum with zero G could be fun. Haven’t done that since some low grav half life maps long time ago.

32. Chris R says:

lol, I only watched the Les Dawson video as well.

Dead Space.. more like Dead Hype. amirite???

33. KindredPhantom says:

The Les Dawson video traumatised me a lot more than the Dead Space ones.

34. MeestaNob! says:

@ Chris R

Dead Right.

35. SixStringSamurai says:

what? what was wrong with that? is it not freaking awesome to shoot alien/zombie hybrids with fancy engineering tools/weapons?

i’m so going to get this.