Riders Ready: Mount & Blade Retail

By Kieron Gillen on September 18th, 2008 at 12:29 pm.

I’ve been following this for longer than the site’s existed, but Mount & Blade is finally available in retail. You can buy in the states shops now, and in Europe tomorrow. Alternatively, you can buy it directly at Gamers Gate for thirty euros. I’ll be writing more – and hopefully reviewing it for someone – later, but if you need the game explained further, I point you at my Adventures of Violent Trevor.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Quirk says:

Seriously? I like the game, but my last two lengthy playthroughs in 0.96 ground to a halt in the morass of bugs. (The last one: having taken all the Nord cities for a pretender faction, the faction still lived because its king and lords were still around. Only – they weren’t. I even loaded it in cheat mode and scoured the map for them on total visibility. They weren’t there. Or there was the earlier bug that game where it turned out that beseiging a city past its food supplies running out did effectively nothing…)

I can’t imagine they’ve fixed many of the bugs I encountered in the short space of time since 0.960. It’s still a load of fun, and people who haven’t tried it should do so, but the idea of it being a 1.0 release gives me the heebie-jeebies.

2. Turin Turambar says:

You should have written the game “leaked” some days before, as the username and password of the press ftp from Paradox was published in some websites by mistake. And the ftp had the 1.0 version. :)

BTW, if you have an Ati card like me, you are fucked. The game doesn’t work in directx 9 mode with the last catalyst drivers. You have to rollback 5 or 6 months and install the 8.4 drivers to run the game in Dx9.

The game is the same as the last 0.96 beta, without new features (ohhh :/ ) but better polished. New animations, new sounds, new music, slightly better AI, prettier interface, a few new and expensive objects to buy, etc. But Not plot.

3. dartt says:

You can still buy it on the <a href=”http://www.taleworlds.com/”taleworlds website too I believe.

I got this back when it cost about a fiver during it’s early beta phases. It’s been great fun watching it grow and the regular new versions have been great excuses to go back and visit it again and again. There’ still not a game I’ve played that nails horse combat quite so well as this and with the battlechanger(?) mod, clashes between armies can become epic.

4. Orange says:

Buying it for a fiver ages ago was one of the best decisions I made. Sort of game you have to play at least once, so satisfying running people down with your horse or going 2 handed axe and covering yourself with gore in a massive castle siege.

5. El Stevo says:

It’s worth mentioning that version 1.0 will be available for download on the Taleworlds website “a little time after the retail release of the game”, and that serial keys purchased during beta will work with this version.

(source)

6. Alex says:

I just couldn’t get the hang of the on-horse combat. I should say I’m just not very good at that kind of stuff, though.

And the whole thing with getting robbed every 5 minutes spoiled the game for me, I’m afraid.

7. Yontan says:

Fantastic when I played around in beta several years ago. i can only imagine how good it will be when it arrives, all 1.0′d and ready to go! More than willing to fork out the 18quid.

8. Heliocentric says:

Eh. Felt like morrowind with no plot. I’ll try the 1.0 demo and see if it changes my mind.

9. Fat says:

I was another who bought this for about £5.68 or whatever back in the early stages… around mid 2005 i think it was. Well worth the money, have played it quite a bit, coming back to see the new features a couple of times a year.

I remember when there was only about what, 4 towns… and i don’t think they were even towns, just a guy stood on a hill, lol. And i think only 2 NPCs you could recruit… though back then i would get quite far and just be obliterated by the BLACK KNIGHTS, ooooooooh!

10. Garreett says:

@Quirk, all besieging a castle beyond their food supplies does is lower their moral, I believe.

11. Biggles says:

It’s good for being different, but I still don’t think it’s ever really lived up to its potential.

Would like to see a fully funded dev team make a sequel, though.

Is there a full list of 1.0 updates around anywhere? There was a lot of expectation on the old forums that the final version would be a lot more heavily polished than the beta, but from what I’ve seen it’s much the same. Anyone care to prove me wrong?

12. Quine says:

I keep finding myself coming back to this- it’s addictive over short repeated bursts in a way that good card games or stuff like Pirates! was. Grab some men, point your ninja training skills at them, take on some armies several times your size, then into the insane bloodbath that is the siege game.

When it all goes wrong you start up again, which is fine by me as the combat side of things has some epic moments- charging a vastly-greater army surrounded by expensive mounted mercenary cavalry, getting a perfect jarid headshot on the enemy king as the last man standing, taking out a dozen guys with lucky siege crossbow hits at range on your last point of health, and on and on.

It almost doesn’t need any proper endgame as the ‘game’ bit is fun rather than some linear grind towards the inevitable end as they run out of expensive assets to show you. Although some better stuff to buy with your loot would be nice…

13. Therlun says:

Said this several times already:
    Excellent medieval combat simulator, well worth the money.
    Below average “game”.

14. Heliocentric says:

The combat always felt loose and messy. Formations were nowhere to be seen. And certain builds were just win buttons. The platform of the game concept is incredible. I only wish this was a mod/expansion for a game so the basics were done.

15. Turin Turambar says:

Don’t worry, there will be lots of mods. There were a good amounts of mods when the game was only a beta!

16. Weylund says:

The pre-beta game WAS mods. If you were playing vanilla for any extended period of time, I pity you, as it was not amazing in any way.

It would be nice were that not the case in the retail version, but I’m not worried. I’ll always have my mods.

17. Tei says:

I have buy the old beta. So, where I can download the new version? I want to play the new version.

18. A-Scale says:

I enjoyed the demo thoroughly, but I’ve had enough. I also can’t bring myself to purchase it out of principle, as it is made by a Turkish developer.

19. terry says:

As with Spore, this has been released 2 years early.

20. Lord_Mordja says:

“I also can’t bring myself to purchase it out of principle, as it is made by a Turkish developer.”

Haha, what?

21. Turin Turambar says:

The 1.0 version for the people who already bought the game in the beta version will come in a few days*

And this is still an indie game, of course it lacks the amount of content and polish and graphics of a modern blockbuster from EA or Activision.

*: No idea of how many days.

22. Andrew says:

Are you Greek?

Or a Cypriot?

23. onkellou says:

“Or a Cypriot?”

Or something else ending on “iot”, maybe?

24. Tei says:

Yes, is a indie game, but the combat is well done, and the world map stuff is nice. I could play this damn thing like forever, and theres no forced “end”, you can play and play, getting a bigged army, and doing bigger things. Its a game that grown itself. And have exccellent modding support!.

25. A-Scale says:

Are you Greek?

Or a Cypriot?

No, I’m a descendant of a victim of the Armenian Genocide. My Great Grandmother saw her entire family butchered, and only survived by hiding in a pile of bodies. She was ten years old. Unfortunately Turkish propaganda ensures that almost all Turks refuse to recognize the Genocide, so I just don’t buy Turkish products to ensure that I don’t support someone to who I find to be so offensive.

I’d like to get in contact with the developers and see what they have to say about the Genocide, but I haven’t been able to find their email address.

26. MetalCircus says:

So i’ve been dodging this for some time. I’d heard about it but not played it. I downloaded 0.96 and it’s awesome. I may buy the retail version.

27. MetalCircus says:

By the way, A-Scale is right – I recently met a very bright and intelligent Turkish girl and I quizzed her about the Armenian Genocides. Expecting her to react fairly liberally (her being quite the liberal and all) I was surprised to discover that she told me to “learn my facts”

I did so and was still pretty aghast at what the Armenians went through because of a difference in religion. I asked her again and she just got very angry at me. So when A-scale says Turkish propaganda has almost all Turks fooled, he isn’t kidding.

Although I have to say A-Scale, despite your emotional investments in this issue (which are understandable really) I don’t think it’s clever to hold a grudge against all Turkish people. It could be considered… racist. Are you sure you want to look as bad as the Turkish government does? Although my family wasn’t slaughtered in a holocaust so perhaps my opinion here is unwarranted.

28. A-Scale says:

Thank you for your thoughts MetalCircus. I am not biased against all Turks, only against those who refuse to even recognize the slaughter that the Turkish people perpetrated on the Armenians. I don’t know which is worse, to be massacred, or to have the nation which massacred you act as if it never even happened, despite all evidence to the contrary. It is a double offense which I cannot forgive.

However, as I said I would be more than happy to purchase this game if the developers at Taleworlds do recognize the Genocide. At least I think I would. I’ve never actually experienced meeting/speaking with a Turkish person who felt that way. I might ask them to do more, I might ask them to recognize that we deserve our land back, or that our families deserve compensation for the million and a half civilians who were killed in cold blood for nothing. Or to apologize for the poverty that Armenia experiences today, part of which can be explained by the loss of much of its territory and half of its population.

But I think I would just buy the game. Some progress is better than none, I guess.

It will be a glorious day when the Turkish government recognizes the Genocide. Outside of Turkey, most everyone in the rest of the world recognizes the Genocide in full. I can understand why people who are brought up from grade school being propagandized about the Genocide being a rumor would believe that it was, but I can’t accept such historical revisionism as morally justifiable.

29. Quirk says:

@Garreett
    Aha, I can say more than that, having been there through numerous buggy waitings and reloadings.

Sometimes, just sometimes, you get a city with a bunch of wounded in the garrison after sieging them beyond their means. This is exciting. However, if you return to the siege and hit them again for a month or so, you’ll find them all healed on your return. Some of the code possibly wants them to be increasingly moving onto the wounded list as they starve, but some bug in the calculation stops this happening in any sensible or consistent fashion.

30. Malagate says:

Quoting Quine: “Although some better stuff to buy with your loot would be nice…”

I always found that there were plenty of things to be spending me loot on, mainly the really expensive books and kitting out all my companions with the best armour, weapons and horses. Also if you ever managed to own a village or a city then upgrading those usually took a fair portion of my money, not that I was ever that skint what with me hussling Tournaments and being the trade king.

Also A-Scale, have you considered registering on the Taleworld forums and making a thread about your concerns there? I do believe the devs frequent the forum, or at least it would bring your concerns to their attention as you cannot find their email address.

31. Al3xand3r says:

Doublepost…

32. Al3xand3r says:

I’m Greek. I recently served a full year in the Greek Corps of Cyprus. I was stationed very close to Leucosia (Nicosia), the green line. I bought Mount & Blade ages ago because while I haven’t asked Amagran (sp) about the genocide(s) I don’t consider him responsible for his ancestors’ evil deeds nor for his country’s effective propaganda (much like the propaganda found in the United States) and I do consider him a good person that would never take part in such acts himself. He also seems to hold better values than most traditional Turks seeing this game was created with the help of his wife, showing she’s also educated and a modern person and is allowed to be such. So, yeah, maybe stuck up jerks here shouldn’t be so quick to judge A-Scale’s feelings being like that because he’s Greek, Cypriot or apparently an idiot or even imply any or all of these are synonyms… You don’t know everything so consider that before you post bullshit like that, idiots.

33. Geoff says:

30 Euros! That’s like… 17,459 USD!
    Lousy game download services! They’re all biased against US/NA!

I kid, I kid. Don’t stab me in the eye. Insert obligatory “is it on Steam yet? when will it be on Steam? why isn’t it on Steam?”

34. Tunips says:

It’s now available on the Taleworlds forums for those who bought it during the beta.

35. Malagate says:

Thanks for the info Turnips, how about next time you also include a link?
    You know, like this:

Just saves the people who want to get it a few seconds of searching, sorry but I felt bizarrely angry when I read your message but didn’t see a link to what you found. Which is silly on my part.

Also:
    for those who want to go straight to the file.

36. Pyrrhic says:

This game got a 62% review from PC Zone, calling it “anorexic Oblivion” set in “a cut price version of Tolkien’s Rohan”.
    I’ll fetch hte pitchforks. Gillen, please review this (or tell whoever gets to review it) as what it is – a medieval war simulator focused on combat.
    It is NOT an Oblivion clone, and it has sweet bugger-all to do with Tolkien’s realms.

[/rant]

37. sinister agent says:

Surprisingly, this fits on my knackered hard drive.

I’ve been one of the more negative voices on the forums there for a while (which is hardly difficult, frankly. There are some deeply embarassing threads on there), particularly with the last few releases. However, I must admit, in the short game at least, there’s been a massive improvement over the last 0.96 (?) release.

The animations are generally better, the sound has had a very good overhaul (some of the combat thumps and cracks are deeply satisfying, and I’ve not had this much fun in the arena for about two years), it’s more stable, runs faster (though startup times aren’t great) – I can play with everything at top settings and a big battlesize, which has never happened before, and yet it looks better than previous versions. There are a few more tactical options (hold fire, for example, is very handy), better throwing weapons, javelin tournaments, and a lot of the bugs are gone. I’ve had a quick go at a siege and they seemed much more fun, as well.

I’ve not played the long game in this version yet, so how the strategic side of things measures up I don’t know. So far though, I have to say that my fears about its being rubbish on release are vanquished. It’s already fun clomping round getting into scraps without even bothering about the quests and factions stuff, so even if it turns out that’s still deeply flawed, I think it well worth the money again. Very, very pleased. Cheers for the heads up, chaps.

38. Malagate says:

@Pyrrhic, you bring the pitchforks and I’ll bring the torches!
    Honestly, “anorexic oblivion”? It sounds like they barely grasped how Mount and Blade works at all.
    We know of Violent Trevor, but I would like to hear a verdict from the RPSers. Their combined opinions would seem more valid as a point of view to me.

39. Kieron Gillen says:

Pyrrhic: Who did the review?

KG

40. deltascout says:

Hmmm so much anger aruond here. Whats that about american Prpoganda? Sad to say this but america cant have any real propoganda since most of the people hate the country for what it has become. Or simply just dont give a damn about what its Gov says. Hell I am the fist fo the gov and I dont give a damn.

41. Heliocentric says:

Anorexic oblivion sounds like a skinny npc mod. M&b is more like a medieval space rangers. Not anywhere near as much content though.