Dead As A Brodeo: GFW Radio Ends

By Kieron Gillen on September 20th, 2008 at 1:00 pm.

The PC Podcast masses are crying out in despair: their leaders have left them. The much-respected GFW Radio has decided to close its doors with the final episode. After lynchpin Jeff Green leaves journalism for development at Maxis, Shawn Elliot has sodded off to 2k Boston Irrational. The episodes are all up still up if you want to catch up, but there’s a “best of” compilation over here.

And some thoughts about it from someone who’s never listened until literally right now beneath the cut…

A number of people have asked us to post about this, and I held off for reasons the top-image makes kinda clear. While I’ve followed the debates and adulation that the GFW podcast has recieved with interest, I’ve never actually sat down and listened. As I’m doing the post, I’m doing that for the first time. I’m actually surprised that I’m not surprised – it’s exactly what I’d thought it’d be, and can see exactly why people dug it so much.

Listening more though… well, it’s interesting to come on the Final Episode of something that’s most loved. Like most sitcoms, the final episode tends to be self-congratulatory… and justifiably so. There’s a lot of how that despite the podcast having far less listeners than the magazine ever had, they get far more contact from it. People felt a genuine human connection, and expressed deeply personal stuff to them.

Which I find fascinating, really – because pretty much since I started writing for the British press, that’s been a constant. And not just me – it was just a common thing for people to invest and open up to the writers. Which makes me suspect an old theory I had actually was built around a kernel of truth: podcasts have allowed the American games writers to get used to the concept of microcelebrity, which had always previously been a Brit thing for games journalists. British magazines, traditionally, have been far more personal (cf: unprofessional, if you’re someone who dislikes the style) than the US ones. Conversely, the podcasts are a beacon of humanity – and for the first time, it seems, the Americans are experiencing what we’ve had all along. The listeners buy into the humanity; the writers realise that they’re actually connecting with people.

All of which makes me think the growth of US podcasts is another enormously positive force in the discussion of the form. And I have to salute GFW Radio for pushing it. Well done yous.

To throw it to the floor, a couple of questions:

2) If you had to construct a dream podcast, what would it be like? What would it include?

__________________

« | »

, .

1. phuzz says:

The only podcast I listened to regularly (and this was a while before someone invented the word podcast), was Default Radio. Which, while searching for a link, I have just found has been semi-resurrected, so if you’ll excuse me…

2. MrMud says:

GFWRadio was by far and wide the best video game related podcast on the internet.

1up in general have a high quality on their podcasts but GFW were in a category of their own.

The unfortunate thing about this closing is that there is really nothing that can replace it. Almost every other popular podcast I have tried to listen to instead (CAG, PCG and so on) are extremely poor in comparison.

3. wahwah says:

GFW was one of my favourites, but there are still some left I listen to regularly:

but they’re all not really PC specific, to be honest I don’t even know any other PC podcasts =(

and a dream podcast? uh I don’t know, but for me it needs to have both the silly and the smart I guess :)
    maybe you guys should do one ;)

4. Heliocentric says:

*pours a 40oz of ice tea* ideal sodcast (i reject your terminology and replace it with my own) would have industry figures being asked real questions and giving real answers. Not pr bull. Failing that, a podcast not focused on the latest releases but on the long haul games that people play. GFW was both.

5. Chaz says:

I’ve never listened to a podcast in my life. If I’m in front of my computer then I’d rather read an article than listen to one. Although I just bought myself an MP3 player the other day, and I’m due to go on holiday for a week, so maybe I’ll give it a try. As I’m bound to get internet and gaming withdrawl after about 3 days of sitting round a pool.

6. Kadayi says:

GFW had become a bit of a fixture in my week and it’s a real shame that it’s all come to an end, however I can understand why Jeff wanted to move on after the closure of the magazine, and Shawn moving to development shouldn’t really be that much of a shock because griefing behaviour and personal anecdotes aside the guy is always on point when it comes to games and is sharp as a razor at dissecting them, and what’s wrong with them.

GWJ isn’t too bad because they normally have good guests. I’ve listened to the UK PCgamer podcast a couple of times, but everyone is far too polite and the less than an hour format doesn’t really provide them with enough lee way to really get in depth (which is a pity). Extend the podcast to 2 hours and it might go places.

Game theory isn’t too bad overall, but like 1upyours suffers from not being PC specific.

I’d second wahwahs suggestion about you guys doing one, I’m sure you can wangle some sponsorship from somewhere. If there is a format and approach to look for leaders to I recommend GFWs approach because it was spot on. I’d also say it’s worthwhile delving into the GFW back catalog in order to tap into Jeff Greens opinons on things.

@Chaz

An articles generally written by one person where as a Podcast is an actual dialog most of the time. They are quite distinct experiences.

7. Duoae says:

Yeah GWJ and GFW, 1 up yours, Retronauts are my favourite podcasts. I stopped listening to 1up yours after a while though …. i don’t know any PC specific podcasts that are any good now that GFW is gone – PC Gamer is boring…

One thing that i would really like is having more of a European/UK podcast. However, this is being worked on and perhaps we’ll see something within the next few weeks :)

8. Ben Abraham says:

The Brainy Gamer Podcast just got a reboot this past week. It’s now a giant ‘gamers confab’ with plans for each episode to feature a bunch of bloggers from around the blogosphere.

It’s not *strictly* PC based (but then again, with GFW gone what is?) but I think covers a lot of broader gaming topics than just “lol Xbox live tpwns!, etc”

9. nakke says:

RPS podcast. Please. You could just do a few more RPS Verdicts, but instead have them be in audio form.

10. Ginger Yellow says:

“1) You’re a podcast listener. What’s the best PC related podcast available? Why would you recommend it?”

I listen to quite a few games podcasts, but (now) not all that many PC ones. Most seem to be console focused. I was an avid GFW listener, and then there’s the PC Gamer US and UK ones. The PCG US one is alright, but it’s not what it used to be. And the UK one is great (it’s nice to have a UK perspective – there are surprisingly many Brits on the US podcasts but they’ve all gone native), but too infrequent. If you’re into MMOs, there’s 1Up’s Legendary Thread. Other than that, not a lot that I know of (although I’m going to check out some of Shawn’s recommendations) . Game Theory and One Life Left are great, but only touch on PC stuff when there’s a big game out (and OLL is arguably only barely about games anyway). There used to be a good Company of Heroes podcast, Tales of Heroes, but that seems to be defunct.

So, to sum up, GFW was the best of the ones I listened to, now it’s probably one of the PC Gamer ones, but they could be better.

To answer your second question, I don’t think there is such a thing as a perfect games podcast. I get different things from different podcasts, and I don’t think people should try to fit it all into one show. OLL is funny and fresh (with great chiptunes as well). 1Up Yours is comprehensive and well-informed about individual games, with a lot of personality – it’s where I get most of my info about upcoming games. Game Theory is great on the big picture business stuff. 1Up FM isn’t my favourite podcast by any means, but it’s running a really good backlog feature where they play through games lots of people missed on release (eg Psychonauts, Shadow of the Colossus, Farenheit). Retronauts is good for nostalgia, obviously. PC Gamer US is good on geeky things like CUDA and real time strategy. PCG UK is good for self-deprecating Britishness and GalCiv/TF2 chat.

Anyway, you guys should really, really do a podcast. If I were you, I’d focus on the indie games stuff, as there aren’t that many people covering it beyond the big hitters like Braid/Pixejunk etc. Keep the irreverent but intelligent tone of the site, and have lots of interviews with developers.

11. Jim Rossignol says:

12. Scotti says:

I loved the Brodeo so much. But I saw it coming months ago and backed up every episode. Shawn Elliott will be missed. I’m so sad. But Ive got lots of episodes to revisit.

13. Ginger Yellow says:

“Doing an RPS podcast assumes that our voices are as clear as our words… The PCG one manages it though, I suppose.”

Actually, the levels on the PCG:UK one are pretty screwed up. I can’t listen to it on public transport because I can barely hear what they’re saying. I presume you meant clarity of expression/thought, but still, it’s something to bear in mind.

14. Mark says:

The only Podcast I’ve ever listened to was the awesome (and sadly defunct) Arsecast. A heady mix of indie game news/reviews, and swearing.

15. Okami says:

Though an RPS podcast might be interesting, I don’t think that it will be instantly awesome. Just because our four benign overlords are skilled writers and journalists, doesn’t mean that listening to them will fill us with the same sense of awe and joy as reading their words does.

There’s a profound difference between the written and spoken word. There’s a reason why audio books don’t necasserily get read by their authors.

Though I’m not openly against an RPS podcast (and it still might be awesome – at least they’re all british and I really prefer british english to american english, though it’s just a bit harder for me to understand) it might, in the worst case, destroy the image of four super human, allmost angelic, beeings who watch over us, that I’ve built in my mind.

16. Alex says:

I wonder if this is comparable, though. I think that a podcast will instantly be more personal than a written piece, simply because you’re hearing someone talk, obviously, but also because it’ll feel more immediate, more direct – eventhough there’s the possibility of sound editing, it’s interesting to hear someone formulate a thought or opinion on the spot.

Another difference is the reach these podcasts have – they will be initially targeted to their US audiences, but will attract many, many more listeners from all over the world, most of whom will never have read the printed publication (if there even is a printed publication).

Anyway.. GFW was a lot of fun to listen to because about only 60% was actually (semi-)intelligent talk about games, the rest was on comics, movies, anecdotes and stupid jokes. That mix made it personal, I guess, in the end it was just a bunch of guys in a room, talking.

I used to listen to the US PC Gamer podcast but I gave up. Their podcast sounded like a bunch of office workers making terrible, unfunny jokes. Plus they tend to get too much into the geeky, techy side of PC gaming and that kind of stuff just bores me senseless.

17. MisterBritish says:

PCG:UK is pretty much the only one I get, mostly becuase:
    *It’s from the UK, hence it’s relaxed, the accents are soothing and there’s no trace of XTREME anywhere.
    *They cover games but also features.
    *Well-informed (obv.)
    *Often funny.

I guess the features and other bits is what make it. We can get news instantly so when we listen to a podcast it’s nice to hear extra stuff.

18. James says:

I keep trying to find podcasts that measure up to the raw magic of the (Admittedly gaming unrelated) Get This, but none have yet presented themselves. My dream podcast would be their renewal, to be honest.

I’d heard a lot about this one before, but, like you guys, never quite made myself listen to them. Probably well worth the time, but I’m not sure I could listen to an entirely gaming-centered podcast. I much prefer to nibble at web articles than buy in bulk, to use a slightly poor metaphor. That idea’s probably why I never buy proper magazines either, come to think of it, though that’s probably got something to do with the rubbish Australian offerings too.

19. grey_painter says:

I saw talk of the perfect podcast and was going to pimp the community podcast I’m involved in (clicking my name should get you there) as an example of something far from perfect. But you’ve all mentioned professional podcasts as having flaws so now I’m even more self conscious…

Anyway, I support the idea of an RPS podcast, you guys have always shown a similar humour to my own (only wittier) and usually come up with view points on topics and games completely out of left field for me. Be interesting to get your views on a range of things considering you do seem to have a unique perspective.

A perfect podcast for me couldn’t take itself too seriously, but not to the point of excessive self referential humour and in jokes, something Control Point is famous for. Insider gossip would be great and interviews with designers would be fantastic, especially if you could get it to be fairly candid and away from PR people’s spin. I think most importantly though you’d have to actually know what you were talking about and give confidence to the listeners than when you voice an opinion it isn’t just wild speculation (though that is fun too) but carefully considered with the weight of a lot of experience. I don’t see that being a problem with RPS though.

20. teo says:

Thanks for reporting on this =) they were worth it

What might not come across when just listening to their final episode is that even though they had a ton of hilarious low brow moments, they also had some of the most thought provoking games and game journalism discussions on the web.

They’ve talked a ton about game reviews/previews, journalistic integrity, the relationship between media and PR etc. and have done so with a huge amount of openess. With individual games and genres they’ve had really in depth discussions that you really couldn’t get anywhere.

What’s 99% of what’s written about games? News stories, previews and reviews. The GFW guys provided interesting, intelligent games discussion that made you reflect on things. Them not doing it anymore is a big loss.

You guys (and Edge) do it too, which is why I’m writing this comment here on this page.

A few of their better episodes (hard to remember):
    http://download.gamevideos.com/Podcasts/CGW/120507.mp3 (gerstmann)
    http://download.gamevideos.com/Podcasts/CGW/021908.mp3 (with Warren Spector and Paul Wedgewood)

They could be pretty damn funny too =)

btw, I have no idea what my perfect podcast would be, and it might be hard to make it what you want unless you have a really directed show. Why don’t you try some of the ideas they proposed in the final episode, because no one else is doing it, and I doubt anyone else can fill their shoes with a free-form podcast. Also, they took quite long to get as good as they got and they were a bit up and down, so if you start, give it some time

21. Po0py says:

Having listened to gfw since the start I have to say I’ve been shocked and pretty gutted over the last few weeks. Jeff Green and Shawn Elliot are the funniest people you are ever going to get in a room talking about games. Plus Shawn Elliot, when he is not acting a clown, can deliver some of the most intelligent commentary on video games you will ever hear. Often you can sense the other guys going quiet just to let the guy speak. I know it sounds butt-kissing and all but he really did take it to another level. I recommend y’all go back and check some of that stuff out.

The other podcasts I listen to would be the 1up Yours podcasts. John Davison is on it often and he’s a pretty smart dude and it’s nice to hear a British voice once in a while. It’s a good laugh but it’s more structured and a little more serious than GFW, which is basically a bunch of dudes in a room talking about games they’ve been playing.

Also 1up FM. Mostly derivative but stick around untill after the credits and they do a backlog segment where they play old games and talk about it. It’s only a new feature but they started with Shadow of the Collossus, then went on to Pshychonauts (They actually had Tim Schafer in to talk about it ) and this month they are doing Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy. Good stuff.

All that said I would love to hear an RPS podcast. The first few are always a bit rubbish but once you get into the swing of it it should start taking shape.

22. RichPowers says:

RPS podcast! RPS podcast! RPS podcast! (Okay, that chant really doesn’t work.)

I’m not an avid podcast listener by any means, but what I like best about good podcasts is that they’re organic. Get some funny, witty, and intelligent people chatting together and who knows what’ll come up; that’s half the fun right there. I’d probably enjoy the RPS guys just shooting the shit about random PC games.

23. Kadayi says:

In regards to making a decent podcast, firstly don’t screw about listing this week/months top 10. The UK PCgamer podcast seem to waste an inordinate amount of their time every podcast marvelling at the fact that Sims 2 and it’s various expansions are still number 4-7 in the charts. TBH no one really cares about the charts. Top 10s are only good if you’ve a rapidly changing chart. If people are savvy enough to listen to a podcast then they are savvy enough to know what games are out. Assume your audience knows the facts to some degree about a project or just quickly put it into a frame work.

Instead focus on discussing 2-3 games max, and it helps if you’ve more than one person whose played the game to some degree. If you can rope on a surprise guest every so often and get them talking about stuff beyond their own project that’s always good as well. Half the appeal of GFW was in finding out what other games developers play, and what they like/dislike about them rather than it merely being an opportunity for them solely to pimp their wares (who’d of though Rod Humble was a big CoD4 fan?).

The RPS verdict discusson is the perfect vehicle for something like this, and there are plenty of UK developers who’d probably love to be guests (introversion for starters)

24. Dorsch says:

On the latest 1up yours, Shawn Elliot mentions Eurogamer and Edge for being excellent gaming journalism, sadly not having many readers. GFW Radio was the only gaming podcast I listened to regulary, the non-gaming talk was not a con, it was a big pro for me.
    That being said, RPS is the only gaming blog I read regulary (also the website that made me stop using adblock). If you guys live and work close enough to each other to sit together in a room and talk about games and other stuff, I’d love to hear it. I’m not a big fan of skype podcasts, because even if everyone records their own voice so the sound quality is good, the chemistry just isn’t the same.

25. Evan says:

Updated every Thursday (except for our live podcast from the US Showdown LAN this weekend), y’all:

26. Katsumoto (jvgp100) says:

The PCG podcast is great, other than, as people have mentioned, it’s too sodding quiet! Impossible to hear unless on my own in the flat with nothing else going on at all, and even then I have to strain. Impossible to listen to on the move. Sort that out and it’s as good a podcast as I’ll ever want.

27. Dorsch says:

Based on the recommendations in the comments I tried the PC Gamer UK Podcast, and it’s really great. Doesn’t come out very frequent though. :-(

28. Chandrose says:

I actually quite enjoy the PC Gamer US podcast. Some of the best that were involved are no longer there, but the editors that are do a fine job.

I also enjoy Game Theory (gametheoryshow.com I believe), this one takes itself a little more seriously from time to time, with a little humor and intelligent game discussions it’s definitely worth a listen. They do spread their focus around a little more (i.e. consoles and business side of the games industry as well).

The unfortunate thing is I also never listened to GFW, and after hearing some of the post-mortem praise it’s receiving I wish I had.

29. Konky Dong 24: Yaddle Milk - Beverage of Heroes of the Web says:

97.5 – The Brodeo (GFW Radio) was the best podcast ever. I’ve listened to just about every gaming and tech related podcast out there and none of them can touch GFW Radio. This really is a tremendous loss, I don’t know if we’ll ever get anything like it again.

30. MJ says:

I listened to GFW and I dont even play PC Games, nor do I care about gaming in general.

those were the glory days
    were did they go?
    without a few fossils theres no way to know

31. teo says:

You can get most of their intro skits / raps in this zip

32. redrain85 says:

Well, there’s Maximum PC’s No BS podcast, which I’m pretty sure is PC focused. But it probably isn’t gaming focused.

To be honest, I don’t think that GFW Radio ending had so much to do with the number of listeners, as the fact that Ziff-Davis is a sinking ship. They’ve lost droves of employees over the last year or two, because they’ve all been (justifiably) concerned about their job security.

Though I think it’s telling about Microsoft, that they allowed both the “Official Games for Windows” magazine and podcast to evaporate, without stepping in to assist. Microsoft really does care about PC gaming, yep.

33. Nick says:

I’ve never been a podcast listener, but I snap up the PCGUK one whenever it is out, as I’ve been reading the mag for roughly 12 years.

34. MrMud says:

The podcast was abandoned because Ziff shut down the GFW mag.
    We all know it. Jeff has even said thats the direct reason he quit.

And for those of you lamenting that you never listend to it, its not to late. The good part of GFW Radio was that it was never really fixated on news. Sure there was some of that in there but the majority of the time was spent on other disparate subjects so it is definitely possible to enjoy the back-catalogue.

35. Leeks! says:

With GFW gone, an RPS podcast might do something to fill the gap in my week (ie: give me something to jog to), as I think I visit(ed) both for similar reasons (pretty much the ones Kieron points out). I never really cared about videogame journalism until I started caring about who wrote/spoke it. And, consequently, I’m now a bigger dork in my twenties than I ever was as a teenager.

36. Freakzoid says:

I became so hooked to Jeffs Voice, I cant close an eye without GFW playing and I once designed a cover for a virtual Shawn Elliott CD. Posted it on the 1UP Forums, but nobody noticed.

True stories.

37. Gremlin says:

The point of podcasts, at least for the US ones, is that it’s an outlet for the writers to be snarky and dismissive about games that they don’t really like even despite being contractually obliged to preview them positively. You can be totally up front in textual format on RPS so I don’t think it would have that cathartic angle.
    p.s. Shawn Elliot = best FPS reviewer on the web. Shame he’s leaving.

38. teo says:

Feakzoid, post it in the GFW thread…

39. Shawn says:

GFW Radio was by far the best damn PC Gaming podcast on the net. PC Gamer US was good for a while back when they first started out, but it’s certainly not comparable. The level of criticism you always got with GFW was greater then most other gaming podcasts in general, beyond just being funny and witty. There are so many people that I talk to that don’t even play PC Games, but loved GFW Radio, even better, people that got into PC Gaming after listening to them. Now, if that’s not a sign of a great podcast, I don’t know what is.

To be honest here, I’m absolutely torn up about this podcast leaving, it’s been my favorite for the past 2 years since it’s begining, and now there’s a very big void in my weekly podcasts. I also enjoy the 1up Yours show, which is excellent too, but there’s a real need for a PC Gaming centric podcast. I enjoy the PGUK podcast, but their audio quality is terrible and very hard to understand. Combined with the British accents, it’s very hard to understand wtf they’re saying half the time as well. Also, that podcast isn’t on a schedule and they simply don’t do enough podcasts in general. They are however much better then my own US PC Gamer, and that includes the Magazine as well.

@Kieron and RPS

When you say:

“I also see why I don’t listen to it. If I want to hear people talk smartly and funnily about videogames, I’m lucky enough to be able to talk to one of the RPS guys. This is the sort of dialogue which is my natural environment, so I don’t need to go to a podcast to get it.”

Well what the fuck, that’s great for you, but like the guys at GFW, why don’t you share that talk with all of us? Your dedicated readers? Why not fill a much needed void in the PC Gaming podcasting genre, something desperately needing at the moment. If there’s ever been a void, this is it. No fucking excuses, at least give it a try. Not only do I think RPS would be excellent at it, you’ll no doubt capture much of the ex-GFW fans looking for something to grab onto. All RPS needs to do is bring the same writing wittiness, mix in your personalities and see if it works for the masses. Why not? In fact, I demand it!

Do we now have to start an fucking online petition? “RPS Radio”…let’s get it done dammit

40. Shawn says:

@Gremlin

“The point of podcasts, at least for the US ones, is that it’s an outlet for the writers to be snarky and dismissive about games that they don’t really like..”

If you listened to GFW, all they did was give their honest opinion on games, and it just so happens that a lot of games flat out suck. When they likes a game, you absolutely knew it too, and they were always propping up their own games they loved. Elliot was always famous for bringing up Company of Heroes at least once a podcast for instance. They were honest, and they took heat for it, while a lot of other Gaming podcasts would kiss up for more attention from the developers/publishers when it came to getting exclusives. What you described is exactly what GFW wasn’t. Maybe others I’m sure, but I’ve never once thought that about them. For the most part, GFW was always a much more positive outlook on gaming, not taking themselves or the industry too seriously, and that was a major appeal to many people. If you consider that “snarky” and “dismissive”, then we just have different meanings from each other.

41. chris hyde says:

I’ll really, really miss GFW radio. While sometimes a little too steeped in tales of Shawn Elliot’s griefing exploits (though these were often amusing), it always righted itself with anthropological insight and cutting views of games and the culture that surrounds them. I’m really more a console guy than PC gamer for the most part, but I loved hearing this bunch pick over a new title nonetheless, even if it wouldn’t run on my crappy computer. It’s a serious loss to have these guys split.

I don’t really have any podcasts to add to what’s above. I do like Game Theory a lot for being concise and looking at the biz, and PC Gamer UK is good when it comes out. Brainy Gamer is solid and looks like it’ll be moving into some interesting territory with its newer, varied Gamers Confab bit, 1Up Yours is worth it for info (and is better when John Davidson is on), and 1UpFM is OK at least–but these are more console oriented. PC Gamer US is occasionally alright but not interesting enough on a regular basis to stick with.

I think an RPS podcast would be great, since a dream PC podcast for me would involve one that covered a range of games from the entire universe of PC games available and I think this site does a great job of covering stuff from cool indie browser games right on up through the hardware testing AAA titles that I never play but still like to know about. I also dream of podcasts that had a rotating focus week to week and discuss in-depth particular things that surround game culture–be it certain genres, or storytelling in games, or audio, or emerging markets in games/games development or whatever. In any event, you all cover so many things so broadly and have so many things to say that if you had a podcast I’d sure listen faithfully every week.

42. TommySpade says:

So how do you measure disappointment?
    What are the units we use?
    The morning of that big interview eating breakfast and spilling wet cereal down your last clean shirt; 3 frowny faces.
    Regretting all those time you wanted to ask a girl out and didn’t. That’ll be 1 long sigh please.

GFW podcast finishing up… that’s an afternoon looking out a rainstreaked window.

I discovered the GFW podcast only 2 weeks ago and I thought it was great. I nearly split myself laughing at the Yoddle controversy recently and the ‘who shot first’ throw in.

I listen to the US PCG and Maximum PC podcast every week for approximately the past 18 months and it’s been something for me to look forward to on the weekend.
    There is some overlap and continuity between the podcasts as both teams are located in the same office space at Future.
    Since they’re both using new PC kit for games and/or reviews and then play with each other even outside of work.
    It really builds the sense of community listening to how these people help each other out work and fool around and play together and that really comes across in the podcast.
    The PC UK podcasts I’ve listened to were a little on the short side and the discussions didn’t seem to sink it’s teeth into the news as much as I hoped for. I think that more vocalised opinions, less conciliatory concessions, in the debates would make for better listening.

IMOHP It seems like PCG UK team spend more of their time creating great content for the games magazine and the PCG US team spend their time playing around with games and talking about them.

For other PC media I like getting the UK PC Gamer Mag much more than the US one. The UK one has much more content and it’s writing and presentation is just so much more attractive.

RPS continues the same tradition of clever, snappy writing with head-on-the nail opinions on the revelations of the day.
    Since I’m on my PC online everyday it’s one of my bookmarks I check out a few time throughout the day.

It’s great to have this community here to virtually drown our sorrows and share our successes and stories together.

So to recap;
    Monthly: PC Gamer UK magazine is my mag of choice.
    Weekly: PCG US, Maximum PC and lately (but sadly no more) GFW podcasts to listen to when I’m doing boring chores.
    Daily: RPS.

I’ll keep a eye and ear out for any other good PC gaming podcasts.

P.S.
    I think the G4 video podcasts are usually good shorts too everyday.

What do you say to that? :)

43. The Apologist says:

I like the PCG:UK podcast, but they either aren’t committed to it (i.e. don’t want to spend the time letting their conversations run) or aren’t confident about it (i.e. worried letting their conversations run will be boring, which is a shame because I think it would probably be entertaining and interesting to hear).

I listen to PCG:US podcast too, which is, y’know, ok, and Gametheory which I actually think is pretty good, but aims at being the features section of a newspaper, not the news and gossip, and does its job well.

And OLL, which is tops, but it’s barely aware PCs exist.

So, either RPS should do a podcast (as a PC gamer in the UK I think there really is a gap here y’all could fill)…or get a segment on OLL every week and go from there. :)

44. Ginger Yellow says:

“Elliot was always famous for bringing up Company of Heroes at least once a podcast for instance. ”

Speaking of which, the video replay of the GFW vs Relic match is up at Tales of Heroes, with commentary.

“So how do you measure disappointment?
    What are the units we use?”

Cufflinks.

45. Kieron Gillen says:

Shawn: When I said that, I was talking about why I don’t listen to many gaming podcasts. The point I was trying to make was I was very lucky.

KG

46. Dorsch says:

I don’t play CoH (or any RTS) competetively, but the Tales of Heroes Videopodcast was a blast. Here’s the link to the 1up vs. relic episode:

47. James Lyon says:

It’s a shame you never listened, Gillen. I hope some of the other RPS crew have put an ear to it once in a while.

You’re right about the micro-celebrity thing. It’s given journalists a chance to connect to their listeners in a way that we only really got in the ‘meet the writers’ page in mags. To me, though, it’s also shown how American games journalism can actually be interesting entertaining, much to my surprise. Before I listened, I always had a prejudice against US journalism, thinking it composed of massive advert rags with little editorial, awarding every game an awesome 8 out of 10 or more. Perhaps I’m wrong. I haven’t brought myself to seek out those magazines regularly and the rare times that I have, they’ve never matched up to the glory days of the British press.

Podcasts, then. I listened and found out that Americans do have opinions. That they can pick apart games and complain about the scoring system and how publishers are necessary evils and so on. They’ve cultivated personalities and shown that they’re not all review robots. They gave them a voice I didn’t realise they had and now they’ve excelled in a niche that the Brits just can’t seem to hit exactly (apart from One Life Left but that’s unlike anything else out there to its credit).

GFW was the best of those. If you wanted to know what makes a great podcast, then GFW’s format would probably be the answer. People just talking about the things they like for a couple of hours. That lack of structure gave the podcast its charm. Instead of sleepwalking through a menu of items, it allowed them to talk about what they wanted in a casual style that often veered off into tangents a more structured show would probably curb after a short while. (PC Gamer US’ podcast being one example, which while not bad, seems heavily edited according to their wealth of outtakes at the end).

On a more personal note, I’m sad to see Shawn Elliott leave journalism for the world of development. He was an intelligent, funny guy, one of the few who stood out in US games journalism. I always though that with the right position, he could be someone who could take American games writing towards a mini-renaissance (if that’s not too Pseuds’ Corner a word) just as we experienced back at the turn of the century with yourself, Gillen, Ste Curran et al. Hopefully someone’s there to pick up the torch Stateside or I’m going back to championing Tim Rogers again.

48. teo says:

there’s a podcast at http://www.evilavatarradio.com that I haven’t listened much to but I’ve liked what I’ve heard so far and they do play a fair bit of PC games

49. Kadayi says:

“Well what the fuck, that’s great for you, but like the guys at GFW, why don’t you share that talk with all of us? Your dedicated readers? Why not fill a much needed void in the PC Gaming podcasting genre, something desperately needing at the moment. If there’s ever been a void, this is it.”

Agreed. I was a bit dismayed by your fairly quick dismissal of GFW as an entity given you freely admitted you barely listened to an episode, as if there isn’t anyone else out there remotely offering up insights you can’t already find in your little group. Talk like that pretty much means it’s time to put your balls in the drawer, make a podcast and see whether the draw gets slammed on them hard.

50. Paul says:

The Warren Spector GDC podcast (and the following Ken Levine one) were absolutely amazing. A mp3 highlight of the week…

Comment on this story