Multiwinian Multitudes!

By Jim Rossignol on September 20th, 2008 at 8:07 am.

Probably should have mentioned this yesterday, but Multiwinia is now available from the Introversion store, and there’s a splendid collector’s edition available alongside the boring old standard box. You can also pick it up on Steam. We’ve really enjoyed our pre-launch sessions with the game, and we’ll probably cobble together some kind of in-depth overview next week. Y’know, if we have time. I suppose those of you already spoiling for a Multiwinia War should post your inclinations in the comment thread.

If you haven’t made your mind up yet then you should probably take a look at the Multiwinia demo, which contains a bunch of maps and game modes from the full game.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. MasterBoo says:

I’ve played for several hours yesterday (had a pre-ordered copy, so could play it 3 hours before official release) – tons of fun. The only problems I have is:
    1. Dark Forest power-ups tends to mega-lag the game if a forest burns.
    2. Assault map are totally unbalanced, unless I’m missing a way to breach properly. Defenders won 6/6 out of the Assault games I’ve played.

Overall and so far though, great game.

2. roBurky says:

I got tempted by Steam’s offer of getting darwinia added to my Steam account as well, so preordered it from them.

But I couldn’t find anyone to play it with last night. Which is a bit worrying.

3. Zak Canard says:

It looked like Multiwinia’s authentication servers were being hammered last night, it’d only let me play offline until about midnight UK time. Once I finally managed to get my game of Domination online I got my arse well and truly kicked. I think some more time with the offline mode is in order.

4. Kadayi says:

Heh the big shiny collectors edition is heading to me directly via Royal Mail :)

5. Finn says:

I had similar problems, but eventually got a couple of games, in which I found out I am master of the flame-turret.
    It’s good to get a decent multi-going now that it’s finally on retail.

6. phuzz says:

Why must all the good games come out when I’m skint?
    Introversion guys, I’ll buy as soon as I get paid ok? Until then I guess there’s always the demo…

7. Gurrah says:

I pre-ordered the Collectors Edition a few weeks ago due to the awesome box and bundling of Multiwinia and Darwinia. I never got around to buying Darwinia when it was released, don’t know why though, I loved the demo. I only had a chance to play it once yesterday evening and all I’M going to say is: it’s got Defcon submarines, it doesn’t get much better than that.

8. Ginger Yellow says:

I played a ton of the single player last night to get used to the mechanics and game modes. Really loving it so far, but there are a few issues. One, as said above, assault seems really unbalanced. I’ve never managed to win as attacker, although I came within a minute or so on the first map (probably if I concentrated all my Darwinians on one side it would have worked). On the second map, I just don’t see how it’s possible without lucking out on crates. Which brings me to my second point, which is that crates can be horribly unbalanced. Sure you can turn them off or restrict them, but it would be nice to have all of them but just not have them game breaking. Like make the ants nest more destructible. For instance, in one statue game, where the generators are next to each other at each end of the map, it’s possible to completely wipe out the other player with a single crate, with no chance of recovery.

9. jamuel scones says:

Presumably Multiwinia’s completion means that Chris Delay has no more excuses for not putting a game into his procedural city generator?

10. Tei says:

I love it, made me laught maniallically.

Also… FLANK STRATEGY, GUYS!,.. go go go.. :D

11. MarvintheParanoidAndroid says:

So. Damn. Fun. Can’t wait for my Collector’s Edition to arrive!

Also I’m making the most of my beta tester experience by obliterating giving useful advice to new players (actually I’m not that good and have already been beaten plenty of times, heh. I did beat a few of the IV team members though!)

12. Kyle to the Jones says:

I’m sure it’ll be a solid title when I’ve cobbled the money I need to purchase it. It brought up a pretty interested debate in my mind, looking at the Steam sales and things, of which I prefer in the battle between digital and boxed copies.

I honestly lean towards the latter, even though in this case I’ll be spending an extra $10-15 to get the copy shipped to me. I guess I’m just old fashioned! :D

13. RichPowers says:

Based on the demo, I’m not that impressed. Can higher units only be acquired via crate drops? Maybe I’d enjoy it more if I could play a round or two with real people.

Multiwinia reminds me of DEFCON: great idea, great presentation, mediocre game.

14. Inferno says:

My friend gifted it to me so I’d get darwinia with it. I absolutely love it, we played a 1v1 (I crushed him) and then did some co op assault (surprisingly confusing and hard at first), great fun. I loved the idea behind defcon but never really got into it. This I will.

15. TheUnshaven says:

I love it, despite my crapness.

I’m a total newbie, still trying to figure out whether its possible to make your multiwinians throw grenades. I think my comp opponents do it more often, and I have the Jealousy.

Haven’t played an actual human yet. I love the fast skirmish game setup.

I don’t think it’ll displace the abiding love I have for Darwinia, but it’s still a damned good game.

– The Unshaven

16. Rufus T. Firefly says:

Even though I have Darwinia already, I’m sorely tempted by the deluxe Multiwinia set. Those are some nice extras.

17. Jarmo says:

Thanks for the tip, RPS! Multiwinia Special Edition bought, downloaded and installed. Yeah, I already have Darwinia, but me want!

18. MaW says:

The first time I set off a nuke strike and saw those Defcon submarines appearing, I cried with happiness.

This is truly a great game.

19. KBKarma says:

Got the Collector’s Edition for my birthday (coincidentally, September 19th). Only played the tutorials, but I like what I’ve seen so far.