Interview: Pete Hines On Fallout 3 Mods

By Kieron Gillen on September 23rd, 2008 at 5:39 pm.

Those staring eyes are jovial, yet haunt us so.
Well, on other stuff too, but that’s the most headline-worthy. After getting hands on with Fallout 3 last month I had ten minutes or so to chat with Bethesda‘s VP of PR and marketing Pete Hines which I’ve finally transcribed. In it, I ask why they’re not initially supporting mods and mention the conspiracy theory that they’re sidestepping them to increase demand for downloadable content. Plus stuff on violence, misapprehensions and 100-post+ comment threads.

RPS: I’ve just had an hour or so with Fallout 3. In fact, lots of journalists now have now had that sort of time with the game. What are they going to miss? What apprehensions do you have?

Pete Hines: First of all, we’re just throwing a character at you which we’ve picked for you. Part of the fun is getting to create your own character, and deciding what sort of person you want to be in the world. And then being given a reasonable chance to explore that character. Going to explore lots of parts of the world, to get quests and see them out to their completion, to get a chance to roleplay – am I a good guy, a bad guy or a neutral guy? All that stuff is not stuff you can do for a half hour or even an hour. We have had some guys who’ve played the game for five hours, who get a bit more of a sense of that… but as far as general apprehensions, right now all my apprehensions are about finishing the game and getting it out there. We’re certainly not at a stage where if someone said “I’d like it a lot better if you could do THIS” … well, that ship has sailed. We’re not a stage where we’re adding new content or making big changes. We are shipping the game and getting all the bugs out and balancing here and there, but nothing major.

RPS: Sorry – I meant more misapprehensions. Stuff which people are going to misread which you don’t think would be a problem if they played more

Hines: A lot of folks who haven’t got a chance to play the game still ask about is the RPG aspect of it – in terms of the quests. Is there dialogue? I mean, a lot of what we’ve shown so far has been combat. It makes it seem a combat heavy game. Part of that is because it’s easy to show. It’s very hard to give someone the payoff for playing a quest when you’re showing it at a trade show or giving a 20 minute demo. It’s too hard to present and have it come off right. People still have some of those concerns, but we have had folk who have gone in and played the game for much longer and their feedback on those aspect of the game are very positive. So if you take them at their word, hopefully their misapprehensions have been cleared up.

That'll teach 'em

RPS: Playing it something struck me. It really manages to be both horrific and quite comic. And that exact mix is something that’s not exactly thick on the ground anymore. [I'm not quite sure what I was getting at here, by the way. I suspect I meant deliberately mixing the two. There's a difference between violence that is comic and comedy violence. Gears of War is actually done with a straight face. There's a smirk with Fallout 3 - Ed]

Hines: I think we’ve tried to do both of those things – the violence and the sheer destruction with some of the dark humour.

RPS: I suppose what I mean that unlike common conceptions, modern games are actually less violent than they were a few years ago. The apex of modeling violence was Soldier of Fortune 2, and nothing’s come near since. People backed off. Even actually supposedly extremely violent games don’t actually show much. Conversely, Fallout 3 feels a little out of time in that it actually does show stuff.

Hines: Not only has violence changed, but violence in games – in terms of what you get away with on the screen has changed because the visual fidelity went up so much. We joke about back in the day, when Bethesda started making Elder Scroll stuff, back in 94-95-96… you put a nipple on the screen, it was a two pixel thing. You couldn’t tell what the hell it was if you stared at the screen all day. Now, if you put a woman on the screen and show her bare breasts it’s significantly more realistic. It’s got bump-mapping and specular lighting and skin-shaders… it does heighten the experience more than it used to ten years ago. And I think violence is the same thing – the technology brings it to life in a much more visceral way than it ever could have before, simply because of all the technology. On the flip side, you see stuff where people are careful of how they introduce it. Gears of War is a very violent game. You chainsaw guys in half and there’s no mistaking you’ve just chainsawed someone in half. But they do it in a way which has an aesthetic and a design quality which makes it not horrific, even though it’s an incredible looking game, they still manage to pull it off without being disturbing. I think a lot of times you have to be really careful about not crossing that line. The disturbing one. There’s a difference between the violence of storming the beach at Normandy in Saving Private Ryan and Kill Bill. One is funny, one is not. I think everybody gets the difference between the two.

RPS: Getting more technical – care to talk about the mod situation?

Folk probably took for granted that every time we make a game, there’s a mod tool. We explained to folk that it takes a lot of time and effort to get that tool ready for release, and it’s not on our schedule right now. We need to get the game done and out. It’s not to say we won’t do it. It’s that right now we have an enormous amount of work to do, for three platforms and all these different languages to get it out around the wall. Right now, we can’t say definitively “there will be mod tools, and here is when they’ll be out”. That work remains to be done.

RPS: There’s a Conspiracy Theory that would suggest that you’re removing the mod tools to make downloadable content more attractive. As in, if you get extra value for free, why buy the official stuff?

Hines: That’s a good theory, by the way. And probably on some level it would work… but from our standpoint, whenever we do an Elder Scrolls game and release those mod tools, it takes a ton of work and effort. This is a bigger undertaking for us, and one we’ve not yet scheduled for. Is that to say it’ll never come out? No, I’ll never say that. If we have the time, we’d absolutely like to put them out. As we’ve seen with Oblivion and Morrowind those things definitely create a sense of community and there’s tonnes of people out there modding. We have our own little blog we run from Bethesda, and every week we’re out there interviewing people from our mod community – so it’s clearly something we support, something we take interest in and something we place value in and spend a lot of time highlighting good mods. It’s just the tools take time. They don’t magically appear. Someone’s got to write help files for what all the scripts do, and get it released as a consumer product. Because it’s not in that state otherwise. Developers will make do with anything.

This reminds me. I still need to book my train tickets to the Midlands for the weekend.

Another Journalist Interjecting: Also, it’s part of a PC world, which is not part of the console world which is a bigger part of the business than it might have been previously.

Hines: That’s the other thing. Yes, the PC mod community does help extend the life of a product by the number of people who are still playing it, but as we’ve seen in Oblivion, there’s still people who are playing it on the 360 in the tens of thousands two and a half years later. In insane numbers. For two years in a row we were still in the top 10 most played Xbox games in the year, with zero user-mods. So yes, I definitely think it helps extend the community – but it’s not the only thing out there. The games themselves also do lend themselves to be continuously played and replayed. So yes, it’s a good conspiracy theory, but has nothing to do with the facts. It’s just a case of “Who the hell is going to do this?” as everyone is working on getting the game done right now.

RPS: At RPS we tend to joke about certain subjects which we can post almost anything about and end up with 100 post comment threads. Bioshock, Piracy and… Fallout 3. It’s already the most controversial game of the year, and it hasn’t been released. What’s it like in the middle of it? It must be fascinating to watch. I know you ignore it, but…

Hines: I don’t think “Ignore it” is the right word. We’re aware of it and we certainly listen to it, but it’s also What Should We do about it? What do you do about the guy who says that your company is a travesty and you suck and you should not be making Fallout? Should I quit and go home? Okay… everyone is entitled to an opinion, but all we can really do is keep our heads down and work on the game, and make it the best game possible. We can’t go on an individual by individual basis and try and convince people of anything. The average gamer sees through that stuff in a minute. They have their own opinions. They’re very strongly held. The best we can do is present our game, and what it is which we think we do well and why it is – you, Joe Consumer – whether you play one game a year or fifty games a year might want to play Fallout 3. And hopefully convince them to go look for more information and decide for themselves that it’s something they want to play.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Bas says:

I can’t wait for downloadable horses, and the armor to go with it!
    Hot diggity I’m edgy.

2. Fumarole says:

That comment about the SDK possibly not being released will certainly turn this into another hundred-post job.

3. SuperNashwan says:

I’ve just replayed Oblivion and I ran over fifteen different mods that all very tangibly improved the experience. It’ll be a shame if that doesn’t happen for F3, but who knows, maybe PC owners won’t have to run unofficial patches to fix thousands of bugs, or suffer obvious problems like MASSIVE TEXT this time around out of the box.

4. McCool says:

Unless some legal issues get in the way Beth will release the mod-tools, I guarantee it. Like them or hate them, Beth knows what sells, and there is probably nothing they enjoy more than knowing how loyal and dedicated their modding fanbases are. Mods basically keep up interest (thus sales) in the game for years to come, without Beth having to raise a finger. It’s the modding community that has cept the profile of their games so high, and Beth would be the last dev in the world not to want to try and cash in on that.
    Am I implying a Construction Set you have to pay for? Maybe I am.
    Maybe I am.

5. Mark Stephenson says:

I finished Oblivion and was quite happy without a single mod.

But if they are going to force me to watch slow mo kills everytime I use VATS I am not going to buy their product.

As it is I don’t “trust” them for toffee and am not going to buy it until teh internerds tells me one way or the other.

Now there you go. I’m one guy who has one problem and question he can answer simply and easily. And he can answer knowing that depending on his answer he has at least one solid figure he can quote to his stockholders.

I’m not really an honest internet angry man even thou I try to be because if I was him I wouldn’t answer the question so I can’t really blame him if he doesn’t pop into the comments thread and answer my question.

6. Dr. Quincy says:

Pete, you sure know how to make a boy hot under the collar!

7. nihohit says:

I don’t comment because the post is about fallout. i comment because you said I should comment.

8. Pat says:

Dear Bethsoft,

Your art direction and environment designers are great, keep up the good work. Fire the fucking animators though. Seriously. Every character from the Elder Scrolls series suffered from Robotitus, and it looks like FO3 will continue the tradition. There is no faster ingress to the uncanny valley than stiff animation. Can we get some mocap up in this bitch? Also, I never want to hear those same 8 voice actors that were used for HUNDEREDS of characters in Oblivion. I don’t want them in this game. I’m sorry. I’m sick of all their fucking voices already, and it’s your fault. Because you designed a 100+ hr. game that FORCES ME TO LISTEN TO THE SAME 8 VOICES OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

Ahem, well, anyways… I’m really looking forward to this and I loved Morrowind and Oblivion.

P.S. Sorry if you care about swearing but I wrote this with the idea that this is a site for adults.

9. Weylund says:

The reason people are playing Oblivion on the 360 is that there’s s***-all for RPGs on that platform. Saying “lots of people still play without mods, mods aren’t that important” is like saying “lots of civilians die during wars from things other than bombs, bombing civilians isn’t really that bad”.

Or, you know, something less inflammatory. Still, it’s apples and oranges, comparing PC vs. 360 as it pertains to mods. THIS is where consoles hurt PC gamers: developers are too clueless to see the fundamental differences between the platforms, and consoles are dumbed down — so everything should be, right?

10. danarchist says:

You know as well as I do that if they dont release modding tools their will be half a dozen up within a few months made by coders with LOTS of freetime. They will definitely put their own out as soon as they can, it not only makes their customers happy and enhances their reputation, it extends the shelf life of their games by YEARS. I can still find copies of oblivion on the shelves at the local ebgames. Very very few games spend more than a year on the shelf. And you can bet that has allot to do with custom content made by fans.

11. perilisk says:

Meh, not exactly an inspiring conversation. Why the f— do these tards think roleplaying = “Good/Neutral/Evil”? Like, if I was writing any sort of story, and trying to create a character, do I say “ok, this guy is good, and this guy is evil” and pat myself on the back? It would be one thing if this was at least progress, but Fallout was more complex than this a decade ago. Hell, basically all post cave-drawing literature is more complex than this.

12. Mungrul says:

My own personal conspiracy theory is that Bethesda don’t want to release the mod tools because the VERY FIRST mod to be made would enable the player to kill kids, and given the flak they got for player-created nude skins in Oblivion, they want to rule out any such possibility.

13. Dreamhacker says:

Reading between the lines, he basically said there won’t be an editor because they don’t want to spend any more time on Fallout 3 after release.

Thanks Bethesda, way to add insult to injury.

14. Nick says:

@Weylund: You fail at analogies. Like most of the internet.

But yeah, no mod support and he is phrasing it to cover the fact it’s probably highly likely there won’t ever be, that’s usually what ‘I’m not saying it will never happen, only if we have time’ means.

15. Dorsch says:

Aren’t there lots and lots of mods for games that never had official modding tools? I dont want to defend them, I’m just asking out of curiosity.

16. hidden_7 says:

I got that there is currently no editor because they wanted this game out ASAP. Realistically, though it requires work to make the editor consumer-ready, it doesn’t require a ton of people. No assests, etc, just coders, someone to do some technical writing. He also seemed very appreciative of the value of the mods. I’d put money on seeing an editor at some point in the future.

17. Weylund says:

@Nick: As far as I can see it’s a fine analogy technically, just not very relevant, and moderately hyperbolic. You, conversely, fail at being an editor. Like almost everyone, on the internet and off.

But yes, “…if we have time” pretty invariably says “we’re not doing it, ever ever”.

18. Tei says:

If this become another game dumbed down for the consoler’s, I am gonna *cry*

19. Stromko says:

Dorsch: I’m pretty sure that FPS games are easier to make mods for than a modern open-world RPG where every change can break a hundred other things that would take dozens of hours to even find.

I do recall some rather impressive Unreal Tournament series and Half-Life series total conversion mods, like Alien Swarm and Source: Empires, but those were rather malleable engines from the start. In those cases a late release of dev-tools didn’t torpedo all efforts to mod, obviously, but since FPS games don’t rely on a single cohesive world it’s a lot simpler to mod them than an Elder Scrolls-style RPG.

Though we’d hardly expect total conversions in an RPG since many of us never see the end of the original campaigns anyway, I’m sure we’d like to see new content or sub-stories. Small tweaks and remixes because far more rare when there isn’t an accessible toolkit.

For instance, I’d say Oblivion was a total failure rather than a gem if I wasn’t able to go in and double the magicka supply, then make it take 50% more skill-ups to get each level, so that I could play the game how I wanted to play it. I did all that with no technical skills because they had an accessible toolkit anyone could use. If I had to rely on modders to do this for me, they probably (always) would’ve stacked in tons of changes that I didn’t want in addition to the changes I did.

So actually yes, this does make me want Fallout 3 less, because there is a very high likelihood that Bethesda will f*k up the tuning again and I’d need to tweak some values to make it playable.

They really have no excuse not to make this a moddable game at some point, as it is an Oblivion mod, and they’d be quite foolhardly to have made everything rely on hard-coded values even moreso than Oblivion already (unfortunately) did. If they did it any other way then just slapping new art and game mechanics on top of the old engine, they’d have wasted their time because they clearly got the same result.

20. Meat Circus says:

Reading between the lines, he’s saying that he’s not too worried that, while real gamers will hate Fallout 3 as the contemptible Oblivion-with-guns it was always fated to become, there’s a large army of “Joe Consumer” morons who’ll buy it for the lolguns regardless.

21. Koala says:

Meat Circus: You have hit the nail on the head, they get far more money by the gormless masses, who see the game “ooooh head explosions, must buy” and don’t care about anything else, and get far less money in comparison compared to the more intelligent gamer community.

22. marko2te says:

I think not releasing mod tools is can be easily explained. After Oblivion was released first mods that came out was to remove underwear so ESRB rating was changed from T to M which meant less money for Bethesda. They dont want same thing to happen again with fans adding bunch of mods for killing children and nudity. But i believe that mod tool will be released few months after the game.

23. Duoae says:

Downloadable Dogmeat in 3, 2, 1….

I’ve never played FO 1 or 2! Please don’t hate me for my humour! ;)

I really disagree with the trend of legal cases laying the responsibility for user content on the developers/publishers. I’ve said as much in the Byron report’s consultation – even if that isn’t the best forum for that. :/

24. mister slim says:

Um, your banner ad for free smileys has a really annoying “HELLO!” sound effect. Could you please not run ads with automatic sound effects and no mute switch?

25. Mark Stephenson says:

@Tei

“If this become another game dumbed down for the consoler’s, I am gonna *cry*”

Do you even doubt it for a second at this point?

This is why angry internet men call developers cunts and get all frustrated and irrational.

There’s two ways of looking at it.

a) the developers are cunts.
    b) the angry internet men are cunts.
    c) the product will be average

You just have to pick a side I guess.

Personally I’m going to choose c) because I’m sure neither party are cunts. Just a) are going to release an average watered down product for their market niche demographic and b) are pissed off that the market niche demographic have no history with the title and in their opinion shouldn’t warrant having the franchise turned to a steaming pile of watered down shit over.

So c) Fallout 3 will be average and not worth getting out panties in a twist about.

26. Whiskey Jack says:

Wow… there’s a lot of reading between the lines around here… Geez, at some point I think that the devs will just stop doing interviews given the poor reception the articles receive, and given that some people prefer to speculate on what they think they might have possibly understood by what wasn’t said rather than wait and see whether the guy was telling the truth or not. Anyways, Hines isn’t promising anything, one way or another, so what’s the problem?

As for me, I can’t wait to play the game and decide for myself if I like it or not. Enjoyed ES III and IV a lot, as I did Fallout 1 and 2 so I don’t see any reason why I wouldn’t enjoy this little gem for the moment.

27. Stromko says:

Well, at least you still make your own character instead of just having a single generic archetype to play. Letting us design a range of characters with different attributes, play styles, and looks, puts a lot of burden on the developer’s shoulders that games like Bioshock don’t come saddled with.

See, I was about to say that at best Fallout 3 would be Bioshock with much wider hallways, but actually, no, Bioshock had no real RPG mechanics. The plasmids were essentially just another batch of weapon slots you had to decide on that shared their own weapons supply. Bioshock was less of an RPG than Deus Ex 2: Invisible War.

Of course, Bioshock was a damn good shooter with an interesting story in my opinion, and Fallout 3 may or may even be that. It remains to be seen, but at least it does have custom characters with different abilities.

Regardless, I’m still going to get my proverbial panties in a twist just because the lack of an editor on launch, and the possible lack of an editor ever, is just one of the few concrete details I have to judge Fallout 3 on right now, and it’s one thing that Bethesda could’ve done (mostly) right if they put the time and money into it.

28. Pavel says:

interplay.com

29. Jakson Breen says:

Okay, I’m a Fallout fan. I have been since the release of the first game in 1997. I also feel like I’m the only fan of the series who is actually looking forward to the game, pre-ordered CE and everything.

I don’t understand all of peoples issues with Bethesda making it, since the original Fallout was actually the spiritual successor of Wasteland. It was another company making another entry into a game series that wasn’t theirs [here is where you could try to argue that Fallout isn't an official successor to Wasteland, but it's easy to find all kinds of references]. While Bethesda maybe making a official entry into the series, [a] they have placed the location of the game far from the originals, so I’d like to think as to not mess up story from them, and [2] It’s Bethesda. At least it’s not Micro Forté (Fallout Tactics, which I largely didn’t feel was a Fallout game, which was a decision I made after I played it). Even Interplay screwed up when they made Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel.

I, for one, trust Bethesda with the care of the future of the Fallout series…

30. Someone says:

The correct reading between the lines “We are probably going to release modder tools, but I don’t want to say definitely because then I will get tons of flake if something goes wrong and we can’t get the tools production ready.” Of course you take flake anyway, but at least you aren’t called a liar.

From a developers perspective, his explanation that getting the game ready for release over getting the modding tools ready for release makes perfect sense. I mean they have tools internally but if they released them as is people would most likely be getting a buggy and unpolished toolset.

31. Ragnar says:

@Jakson Breen

The important word here is spiritual. Fallout is a followup on Wasteland only in the sense that it has similar setting and is an RPG. There is a reason why they used a different name. Which is why the main problem many critics have with Fallout 3 is the number 3. It is more of a new game set in the same world as Fallout 1 & 2 (not the same setting, just in the same world), but not that similar otherwise. So if Bethesda had named it Fallout: Oblivion with guns or whatever, then it would be clear that it isn’t a true sequel to the series.

32. Dave says:

I actually don’t see the lack of mod tools as ALL bad. Mods ruined Oblivion for me. While they are obviously capable of vastly improving the game, they rapidly became too numerous to keep track of. I ended up spending more time reading the forums trying to figure out the optimum combination of mods than actually playing the damn game. Even if I wanted to get back into Oblivion at this point, the thought of trying to research, find, download and install the dozens of “essential” mods is completely defeating.

My attempt to play the game with the non-modded leveling system didn’t help. Yes, I need a spreadsheet to level up my character! I’m having fun, damnit! Any minute now!

I accept that all of these are my issues rather than issues with the game itself.

33. MtotheThird says:

I understand that the pressure to get a game to market often overrides concerns like building a viable community around your product — get it on shelves so that you meet your publishing contract, then worry about modding tools later. It’s OK. I’m patient.

Therefore, I’m sure Mr Hines will be patient with me while I delay my purchase of Fallout 3 until the mod tools are out. I barely have enough free time to play the games I already own, and what I’ve seen of the game so far has left me only mildly interested.

34. Cybergangster says:

I miss the days of 2 pixel titties… they were some good times.

35. MetalCircus says:

I hate that guy. He said “joe consumer”

I AM NOT A CONSUMER DAMNIT!

36. Naurgul says:

interplay.com

What Pavel meant to say is that Interplay is relevant to Fallout because they were the previous owners of the franchise. The actual news item is that they put content on their new site. Check it out.

37. kentrye says:

It’s like this… I felt the Fallout series were on to something; narrative games that actually felt engaging and/or with something to say, and saying it with the game as its vehicle. Other than some interesting indie games, there have been few serious intellectual claims in this industry. Bethesda is obviously not going to try to challenge us, that’s why I’m personally upset with this whole story. And yes, I am a part of the elitist, pretentious gamer snob people. But, if you prick us, do we not bleed like casual gamers? And if you steal our beloved game title, do we not Internet rage like the casual gamer?

38. Meat Circus says:

@MetalCircus:

He wasn’t talking about you, he was talking about the great unhosed who will like Fallout 3.

His use of that phrase was very telling, though. It was a not-tacit admission that he doesn’t care about you and us, because the proles have more money because there are more of them.

“HA HA YOU SHOULD PLAY FALLOUT 3 RIGHT COS ITS A SHOOTER AND YOU CAN MAKE THEIR HEADS ASPLODE AND SHIT ITS WELL FUNNY LOL” — Joe Consumer, as imagined by Bethesda

39. Aftershock says:

Why does everyone seem to be “oh its just oblivion with guns, therefore it will suck”.

Oblivion rocked, so why would adding guns make it suck?

40. Draven says:

Some of the first unofficial mods will remove the railway gun sound, remove the “CHA CHING” xp sound, give an option to turn off the slow-mo camera… then I’ll be happy.

It is funny how antsy everyone gets though. Imagine we were previewed Fallout 2 with a few video grabs of heavy deaths by laser, fire, minigun and rocket launcher, then told how awesome this game would be.
    That’s basically what we’ve been given here – some eye candy to pander to the masses (which, let face it, makes the game financially viable), and anything storyline related will have to wait for us to actually play it.

Build a bridge and stick it in your arse

41. Jahkaivah says:

@Aftershock

You haven’t heard alot of opinions on Oblivion have you?

42. Calder says:

I can see why they wouldn’t bother this time around. From a business stand point they likely profit little to none from releasing a tool set.

They (or whoever cashes the DLC checks) might even stand to lose from it, as player made mods are often just as good if not better than what they make available. Ask anyone running one of the massive comprehensive gameplay mods to choose between Oscuro’s Oblivion Overhaul and Knights of the Nine (Easily the best of Beth’s DLCs) and they will pick OOO every time.

That said, any excuse they cough up to avoid releasing the tools is complete BS. The Construction Set is the exact tool they used to create Morrowind(the content, not the assets), Oblivion used a slightly more complex version of the same construction set, and they’re using a modified construction set again to create F3. The tools are there, all that could be missing is documentation, and the documentation is likely 99% the same as that of Oblivion’s; as it was from Morrowind to Oblivion

43. Luke says:

hahaha, ok, so im a major fallout 2, morrowind, and oblivion fan. oblivion is probably my favorite game of all time, I spent hours and hours downloading thousands of mods, and they where getting pretty amazing by the time I stopped playing, but before i downloaded anything, I PLAYED the game, played it all the way through, loved it, and THEN got on PES… so seriously, just play the game when it comes out, Bethesda is a brilliant company, they are really hinting that they WILL release the construction set, so just hold your horses and be amused

44. Bozzley says:

I’m looking forward to giving Fallout 3 a go. Can’t wait to form an educated opinion on the subject! Woo!

45. GibletHead2000 says:

Staring Eyes is now my new favourite tag.

46. Frank says:

I’m now sort of excited about this. The changes to the RPG system (merging traits away, eliminating unnecessary skills) seem solid, VATS sounds like a decent attempt at making things tactical (Fallout’s tactical IQ wasn’t sky-high to begin with) and they do have a good excuse for not showing dialogue. I just hope the map isn’t all auto-generated forests, caves and puddin-faced cretins giving out familiar RPG quests.

Those eyes at the top look 20 years too old to be Hines’.

47. malkav11 says:

For those who doubt there will be mods, tools or no tools, please note the plethora of mods for both original Fallouts and the Infinity Engine games, neither of which were in the least designed for moddability.

48. Josh says:

Well. until just now I had no idea they weren’t releasing the mod tools.

I now care about the game a lot less. Mods are a part of what made Oblivion and Morrowind so great, because for the most part they expanded upon and greatly improved the core games from what Bethesda made, which were pretty damn flawed in lots of areas.

*sigh* And now we’re stuck with a Bethesda product without the user mods to improve it. Great.

49. Weylund says:

@malkav11: Yes, because the ability to mod a smaller, older game directly correlates to the ability to modify something with 10 times the resources, and possibly new data protection.

Yep.

Seriously, though — there will likely be mods regardless, and hard-won mods are always fun (I distinctly recall hacking mods to weapon damage in EA’s SEAL Team back in the DOS era, and to tape-drive Atari 800 games well before that), but if they release tools you end up with more holistic, comprehensive mods that actually fix the game (a la OOO), not just small tweaks that take a week to find.

Give tools.

50. RichPowers says:

Mods are the only way Bethesda’s games are playable…

Comment on this story