Rise Of the Argonauts: New Screens, Trailers

By Jim Rossignol on September 24th, 2008 at 11:41 am.

I’ve been following all-Greek RPG Rise Of The Argonauts fairly closely, partly because I’m a hopeless optimist, and partly because I suspect that the game might actually turn out to be rather entertaining. We don’t get enough RPGs around these parts as it is, so I’m keen to see what Liquid “Battle Realms” Entertainment will come up with. This interview we did in July whetted my appetite somewhat, and we now learn that the game is out on 14th of October.

Anyway, I was going to post the ten new screenshots that Codies sent out, but then I noticed there are two new trailers too. Go take a look.

Click for full image…

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Thirith says:

Looking at these I almost expect a Harry Hamlin to put in a cameo appearance…

2. Esha says:

Okay, I experienced a giggle-fit at one of those screenshots.

Help me, please. This giant’s spear I was forced to carry for many leagues has given me a hernia, I can’t even stand up straight anymore. Could you unbuckle it from my back? Please? Hello? Are you even listening?!

3. MasterBoo says:

All I get are Witcher ads without continuation O_O

4. Jim Rossignol says:

Hmm, I get The Witcher ad, but the trailer follows.

5. capital L says:

“All I get are Witcher ads without continuation O_O”

You have to download the Witcher ad patch to really experience the ads the way the developers intended, and don’t you even fucking dare criticize the ads until you do.

6. Chaz says:

Looks promising, but I suspect whether the combat hits the right note or not will be the deal breaker for this one.

7. kuddles says:

I must say I am kind of interested in this game, and Liquid has made a couple decent RTS titles. I expect it to be completely buried when it’s released alongside well known franchises and sequels with twice the budget in both development and marketing.

8. Jim Rossignol says:

expect it to be completely buried

Another reason for us to give it the time of day here, I think.

9. Esha says:

I just wish they’d toned down the weapons and armour, and gone for a more believable look. As a fan of every old Greek mythology movie that ever was, and a High Priest of Cult Harryhausen (okay, I’m lying there, but I do like his stuff), this kind of thing always appeals to me. So I really hope I can like this. But the LoL-WoW-in-Greece thing nags at me so.

And I’m going to feel absolutely terrible if it’s an underdog, because I do always support the underdog. Hopefully it’ll be moddable and therefore salvageable by a good modding community. I can dream!

10. MisterBritish says:

Ooh, look, they put more polygons into that shield! I can only assume as a direct response to RPS comments! In which case I lodge a request for the female nipple.

Also; do want.

11. Diogo Ribeiro says:

I’m looking for a “This… Is… SPARTA!” mode, which should be an overhead arena brawler where characters kick enemies into a chasm at the center of the arena.

12. shon says:

I liked the second trailer a lot. It gives me high hopes for the story of the game.

13. onkellou says:

Sorry, but these god/godesses trailers they’ve been releasing for a while now are terrible. I’ve seen a few snippets with gameplay in interview/making of trailers, and they look so much better than these trailers. Why they insist on releasing these, with extra-long camera pans over the ugly foliage and cheesy voice-acting, I have no idea.

They’re doing the generally interesting looking game a real disservice, in my opinion.

14. Nox says:

I agree about the quality and overall tone of the second trailer. If they devote the same amount of time and creativity to the other characters in the party and don’t bungle the combat or pacing, I think this could be one of those ‘sleeper hit of the year’ titles.

I’m going to watch the video again and see if I feel as badly for our unlikely hero as I did upon first viewing it. Poor guy!

15. Fumarole says:

Agreed. Such ridiculously modeled equipment is likely a dealbreaker for me. One can always hope for mods, of course.

16. Paul Montesanti says:

I love the concept here (Mass Effect in Ancient Greece, or thereabouts), but I worry about the execution. Most of the trailers I’ve demonstrate stuttering and other basic technical wrinkles, and for a game like this to hit those really need to be worked out.

17. jigglybean says:

Whilst waiting for the game launch, have a quick play of our Track and Field esq Olympic games http://www.argoolympics.com (Shameless plug I know)

18. Jamie says: