The RPS Electronic Wireless Show: Episode 1

By RPS on September 25th, 2008 at 11:59 am.

No-one will get this joke, even if I link to it.

Yes indeed, we finally did it. A podcast. Well, half of us did. Kieron and John got together in John’s squalid bedroom and recorded 45 minutes of the highest quality PC games-based banter you’re ever likely to hear (if you can understand Kieron’s hyper-speed Midlands-twang). They only made one mistake. They recorded it on a toaster.

So, be warned. What we’re linking to here is of utterly abysmal sound quality. No one in their right mind would be willing to put out something that sounds like two broken robots being drowned in a bathtub. Fortunately, there are no right minds here, so you get to hear it. But you’ve been warned. (And it’s all perfectly audible). So NO complaints about sound quality. Not one. We know. We know. We know. Anyone who complains will be put to death.

Below the jump is a running order of the inanity. Plus links to the potential RSS feed. This is all highly experimental at this point, and we’ve no idea whether it will all work. Definitely post if you’re having trouble getting it. BUT NOT ABOUT THE SOUND QUALITY.

Running Order

0:00 Pointless Rambly Embarassed Intro
2:29 John Walker loves that World of Goo.
7:02 Kieron spoils a World of Goo puzzle just to illustrate how amazing it is.
9:12 Kieron Gillen loves that Warhammer Online.
13:25 Kieron realises that he’s ranting, but it doesn’t seem to stop him.
17:00 John finally gets a chance to tell some anecdotes about Warhammer and visiting Mythic.
19:35 And that’s enough about Warhammer. Now, Multiwinia!
21:30 Kieron segues into the joy of Chaos on the Spectrum, before going back into Multiwinia.
23:30 John tries to get Kieron to say something about Subversion, but he doesn’t know nowt. Well, nearly nowt…
25:30 Kieron releases a new and ill-thought out theory: the renaissance of the puzzle game.
29:55 John tells the story about the Audiosurf Moneyhat.
32:25 The PC Gamer podcast, the PC Gamer showdown and slander about the PC Gamer staff.
36:10 The Eurogamer event – and a possible RPS event in London. Involving drinking.
37:20 Insulting readers 1 and 4, but loving 2 and 3. And the joy of the RPS TF2 server and guilds.
39:10 Kieron’s off to see LOTR:Online: Mines of Moria. John’s in Private Eye. And John explains Private Eye.
42:10 Our favourite podcasts.
43:55 John Walker tells a story involving incest and a major industry PR man.
44:40 And we decide to stop.

The RSS feed is here. Although there will obviously be a gap while we figure out how to record it so it doesn’t sound this poor. Direct mp3 download is here. We’ll be on iTunes in a bit – that’s just processing at the moment. Will edit in the link. EDIT: And here’s the link!

So, as well as complaints that it doesn’t work, please post your thoughts and feedback below. BUT NOT ABOUT THE SOUND QUALITY. Let us know if it’s too long, not long enough, too funny for your mind to cope with, that sort of thing.

And while you’re at it, don’t forget the One Life Left podcast, which we love very much.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Schtee says:

Omgoshes. Direct competition with PCG podcast! I shall have to check this after work.

2. James G says:

Yay! I shall listen this evening and be mildly annoyed that us mere mortals still have to wait for World of Goo.

3. Seniath says:

Excellent, more quality* listening material for this weekends road trip!

*for given values of quality, natch.

4. nabeel says:

Excellent, at long last! Downloading now.

nabeel

5. Begging for Death says:

My, the sound quality is poor. </ohsoobvious>

6. Kieron Gillen says:

Your mum is poor.

KG

7. parm says:

Christ, even though you warned me, I’m still surprised about how bad the sound quality is. It’s even worse than TeamSpeak or something.

Other than that: Videogames: YAAAY!

And I like the sound of blogging whilst drunk. You should go into a pub, and start writing and drinking simultaneously. And we can then all laugh about how poor your writing gets.

8. John Walker says:

Your mum’s quality is surprisingly bad.

9. parm says:

My mum can use a microphone.

10. Bobsy says:

32:25: Actually, since this is a published format, it’s libel, rather than slander.

Oh, but surely: “Rock Paper Shotcast” is snappier and sexier? Or “Rock Podcast Shotgun”? Maybe not.

11. parm says:

You’ve sold World of Goo to me, though.

12. Kerotan says:

This is epic, and yes I have room for this podcast and the PCG one in my life.

13. Ragnar says:

I’m sure it’s top notch, but I never got into these kinds of podcasts (about the only talky radio/podcast stuff I listen is Just a minute) and prefer to read things instead

14. Man Raised By Puffins says:

Wait, why is sound quality such an issue; I thought John used to work in radio (or the electric analogue wireless in RPS parlance)?

15. Dan Milburn says:

Well done. 9 minutes in and I’ve preordered World of Goo.

16. John Walker says:

Well, MRBP, when I left the radio station I worked for, madly I forgot to steal an entire studio and mixing desk. I know, hindsight!

17. phuzz says:

I’ve got to drive all the way to the lake district tomorrow, so this will help pass the time (so if you could keep future episodes below 80mins so they fit on CD that would be just lovely).

18. Meat Circus says:

I was disdainful of WoW and loving WAR too.

We are the new wave.

19. Craigp says:

The double doors to my heart.

(obv you have to listen to the podcast to get that)

20. Urael says:

John: “2Dboygoo” <- that’s amazing right there. Laughed my ass off. :D

Funniest thing I’ve heard all month, even if it has totally ruined the sombre, sober, nigh-on majestic images of you both I had lovingly crafted in my head.

21. Meat Circus says:

Ooh, downloading at an average speed of 2.1 KB/s.

Go, go fat RPS pipes!

22. Mr_Day says:

I like both WoW and War.

I am the new breed. I shall call myself WoWWar the Mighty, and play an Orc with sentimental feelings. Or something.

It ain’t easy, bein’ a homicidal killer trying to get revenge for the destruction of his clan in a worlde gonne madde, with elephants. Also, I appear to be made of Fungus. Also, For the Horde.

23. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Why were Kieron and John both in the same bathbub? Why would anyone try to drown them?

That podcast better answer these questions.

24. Matt says:

Too much MMO talk! Aside from that, enjoyable podcast.

25. WoWWar The Mighty says:

See? told you I would.

26. Urael says:

Meat Circus: Must be your connection. I got this on my work uber-pipe and it took seconds for the lot. ;)

27. Acosta says:

Congratulations to Kieron and John for their new condition of Cyborgs, how do you feel being more than simple human beings?

(I had to do it!, I promise some constructive commentary when I have some time to hear it properly, is not that easy for us poor not native speakers).

28. Man Raised By Puffins says:

@ John: Well I guess they are kind of heavy and pretty hard to wheel away on an office chair. I’ll let you off, this time.

29. araczynski says:

isn’t podcasting a little 2006?

i.e. up there with blogging and google/flash advertising in terms of useless crap that spawned from the net?

30. Kieron Gillen says:

Matt: I did ramble a lot about Warhammer – but it was the big game this week and all, so kind of expected. But still – a big ol’ rant.

KG

31. John Walker says:

araczynski, your mum is a little 2006.

32. subedii says:

Awesome. I guess I’m also sold on WoG now as well.

33. King Awesome says:

You need one of those decent powered mics, they have an external power box type thing that you usually have to by seperately. I know because my housemate has one up in his room, improves the sound quality ten-fold.

I’m sure the Triforce and PCG guys have already let you in on that little secret though :)

34. John Walker says:

We need to not make a big mistake, and then record, and then not be able to fix the mistake. That’s the secret to good podcasting.

But we figured, better to have this rather than nothing.

35. Kieron Gillen says:

One Life Left and the PCG guys both record in proper recording studios too.

EDIT: And, yes, we’ll be looking into better solutions if we do another one.

KG

36. Dorsch says:

Except for the ugly sound, this was a promising start. You may proceed. You have to, actually.

37. The Sombrero Kid says:

can we stop calling it a podcast yet

38. ImperialCreed says:

That’s aces RPS. I find the PCG podcast is just too damn infrequent. Might I suggest you guys start releasing eps in between their schedule? (You realise of course that now you’ve released one you’re going to have to keep doing it.)

EDIT: Also, putting something consistent in the mp3 ID tags would be nice.

39. ste says:

the biggest problem with have with our contributors is finding a way of getting their mics working. it’s weird that this is a non-trivial problem in 2008, but so it seems. since we’re a radio show we sort of skip the problem which means i still don’t know enough about it. oops. sorry.

anyway, i’ve often fantasised about robot kieron making out with robot john so the audio quality here is fine for me.

40. LewieP says:

Podcast is off to a great start. One little bit of feedback – if you follow a standardised naming format, it makes them easier to organise. Something along the lines of “YYMMDD****.mp3″, so “080925RPSpodcast.mp3″, it will mean that when organised alphabetically they will also be chronological. Not a big deal, but probably worth doing.

I remember playing the “Tower of Goo” tech demo years ago, and thinking “they really should make a proper game out of this”, glad to hear that’s what they’ve done.

I’ll be heading to the Eurogamer Expo, debate/drinking games sounds great.

41. Dr_demento says:

Nice, very entertaining… someone’s already suggested this, but I want to add my vote to “you should do the verdicts in podcast form!”

42. monkeymonster says:

I thought twas quite funny that you implied we (the readers/listeners) are youngsters when you two are in full gaming nerdfest flow (nowt bad with that, mind) you sound like a couple of enthusiastic computing students sipping your snakebite in a student bar after a long ‘sess’ … :) Keep it up though please as its always good to hear eloquent, well constructed arguments and digestive (biscuits) bites of good games! Hurrah and top marks for the Rock, Paper Soundbite (or Rocking, Pod Soundbite)

43. The Sombrero Kid says:

@LewieP

if they follow the format rpspodcsast1.mp3 the same is true.

for the record guys you arn’t the symphony orchestra 8khz is fine!

44. LewieP says:

Only for the first 9, after then, it would break. It would have to be “rpspodcsast01.mp3″, but then if they ever did more than 99, it would also break.

It’s just a sensible thing to do, not a big deal by any means.

45. The Poisoned Sponge says:

That was really very good, easily on parr with every other gaming podcast out there that I’ve heard of, although with less jingles.

46. King Awesome says:

I think Music Creator (which is the affordable version of that fancy sound package SONAR) will probably do what you are after and let you compose a funky ditto for an intro song.

This is the microphone preamp I was alluding to earlier. Its been pretty reliable so far and is cheap enough. Then you need one of those special recording mics that plugs into it.

I would listen to the actual thing now but I’m at work and they frown on such things.

47. rumraisin says:

Love it! May we please have another?

48. Feet says:

That was very amusing and informative.

49. Paul says:

Great podcast guys! If you want to come to Sheffield I’ll record you in my home studio? Pristine audio quality! You haven’t heard how stupid your voice really sounds until you’ve recorded it at 96khz @ 32bit through an analogue desk and decent condenser mic. [/geek]

50. MetalCircus says:

This is excellent – the obvious next step for RPS I think. Good show chaps.