Mirror’s Edge Cinematic, Part Two

By Jim Rossignol on September 26th, 2008 at 5:26 pm.

EA have released another snippet of animated backstory for highly-anticipated urban gymnastics simulator Mirror’s Edge. It illustrates a little more about the dystopian utopia, the surveillance society, and the attractive protagonist’s personal battle against the regime. It’s brief, but it bodes well.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Nuyan says:

Awesome setting, I’m loving it. Fits the world of today very well.

edit: Actually, if I were in the position to write the background story for a big budget game, it’d be something similar. I really love this sort of Orwellian game worlds, even if it’s just to make people in the real world a bit more aware (in their subconscious) of what’s been going on since 9/11.

2. DSX says:

Nice, we’ve been overdue on the Mirror’s Edge hype machine with all the Fall out coverage. Great vid! Love that art style

3. Wurzel says:

Looks interesting, can’t wait to play it tomorrow (PCG Showdown FTW)

4. Nitre says:

Nuyan makes a good point. I find this sort of setting very interesting, and if the gameplay should lack for some reason (hopefully not) then i’ll still really enjoy what should be a pretty good storyline if they do it right.

5. James G says:

I think the Mirror’s edge setting is in some ways more interesting and realistic than a strict Orwellian future. Orwell had a people who were quite clearly oppressed, and were governed by a combination of fear and brainwashing. Mirror’s edge seems to present a world which has fallen to, if I may borrow a phrase, the tiptoe of tyranny. The main reason it has happened is not fear or repression, but apathy.

While we have seen a number of countries fall to oppressive regimes, this has usually occured when the situation in a country opens up a vacumn from which it is easy to make a power grab, when people are looking for major change. In a country which is stable, a slow movement seems a more likely mechanism for gaining power. (I’ll leave identifying such movements in our own society as an exercise to the reader, partly as where you see these issues is likely to be influenced by your political leanings, and I want to keep things general for now.)

6. Nuyan says:

That’s a good point James G. I’d also say the risk in the Western (also China though) world today is much more in apathy than in oppression, which is the case in Mirror Edge as well.

7. weegosan says:

Are you kidding me?

“I was too young to remember exactly how it started…”

And then the usual “authorities said it was for the greater good” bit and no ones thing its a bit meh? Someone get me some writing style because these guys called it in. Terrible cliche monologue and if you want to pull off an art style like that you go to someone like Studio 4℃.

I’m genuinely quite surprised at how mediocre that is.

8. Neb says:

Not preording until I know what the score is with the digital rights management for Mirror’s Edge.

9. A-Scale says:

It’s totally blah for literature, but dystopian society games are still ripe. I can only think of Half Life 2 as a successful dystopian society based game.

10. Jochen Scheisse says:

Well, to expect any political tirade from a professional criminal would have been unrealistic anyway. I like it how it is, because what the trailer makes clear is that she is no political type. She lives in the cracks of the system, but she does not try to change it. And that adds to the aforementioned feeling of apathy.

She is the Han Solo type. She knows better than to fight the system. Because they couldn’t really build a death star, they couldn’t be that crazy. Cue meeting with a moisture farmer’s son, I’d guess.

11. Bema says:

*phew*

Thought I was alone with those thoughts Weegosan!

12. Jim Rossignol says:

And it’s only the second clean dystopia in recent memory!

13. Jochen Scheisse says:

Yeah, the dystopian looks like there’s actually a reason why people are apathetic. Because it works. Trains run on time and all that. Not like all those other dys scenarios where the majority of people suffers constantly and still doesn’t even manage to destroy the system by DNV (or work-to-rule, as Anglos might know it; most effective weapon there is).

14. Heliocentric says:

i’d like to add black and white to the list of dystopian games, i tried to train my cow to eat old people but he ate indiscriminately to keep the over population down.

The people stopped complaining about overpopulation though. In black and white 2 I built a giga complex of dozens of skyscrapers and tightly packed farms, again my creature ate well.

Also, startopia, where i worked the poor races to death. ^_^

15. Nuyan says:

I don’t see why that should be considered terrible monologue at all, Weegosan. The “I was too young to remember exactly how it started…” is a bit cliche perhaps, but it’s nothing too bad.

I also don’t see you can make up she’s no political type, I got a completely different view of her during watching it. It also wouldn’t be the first time EA surprises me this year. Hollywood can pull off movies with a serious message as well every now and then, I don’t see why that can’t be true for big budget games as well.

But ya know, it won’t be a slow RPG filled with text, it’ll be an action-filled fps game where they can only give small bits of info about the world around you every now and then.

16. Jochen Scheisse says:

The reason why she’s probably no political type is because of – hello circular reasoning – what she tells us in the trailers, which are clearly from her point of view. And the impression I get is that runners transport stuff for cash. Illegal stuff. Confidental stuff. Doesn’t matter what’s in the box, mister Johnny Mnemonic. You just take care it reaches the target.

17. Maximumfish says:

I’m not getting a “the post 9-11 world®” vibe, and would probably be far less psyched about the game if i was. That’s about the most tired cliche in the past, well, 7 years, and every hack with a mind to add the perception of legitimacy to his/her work thinks they have something poignant to say about 3,000 people being killed in the US.

When in fact they don’t, and it usually comes off as pretentious and hokey “the-world-is-changing-so-fast” nonsense. I swear, if they start dropping the word “terrorist” i’m going to run for the hills laughing.

I for one hope there is no “serious message”, because i prefer to generate my own opinions on things rather than importing them from my entertainment, and i get all resentful when i have to sit through heavy-handed preaching. The upsurge of which incidentally has been the most significant change i’ve noticed since 2001.

18. Maximumfish says:

That sounded really bitter and nasty as i reread it. It wasn’t supposed to be… There’s i think a distinction between thought-provoking and preachy. I have a soft spot for rage-against-the-dystopian-regime stuff too, so i really hope this game turns out to be as good as it looks. I like how, as Jim said, it’s a ‘clean dystopia’. It’s cool when the villains are simply misguided or have a (somewhat) defendable stance, rather than just being “pure evil” or whatever.

19. caramelcarrot says:

Reminds me of Singapore.

20. Saul says:

Someone recently told me about an Italian boss they had who “liked Mussolini. He made the trains run on time”. That’s the kind of world Mirror’s Edge seems to be set in.

21. Valentin Galea says:

Unless they pull an Andrew Ryan kind of counter-protagonist:) but I seriously doubt it…

22. Chis says:

You had me interested all the way up to EA.

23. Kadayi says:

Oh noes not another EA = Evil poster. Forget games as a medium and as an experience let’s just bitch about the publisher. Given the bad press the DRM in Spore gave EA I’m pretty sure their approach to ME will be significantly different. Next up no doubt we’ll have someone proposing to pirate the game because of ‘EAs stinking DRM’, forget the fact that the developers miss out on the money then.

Definitely looking forward to this. I quite like these animated little vignettes, it’s a good approach to put across story. The Dead space ones have been very good as well.

24. sigma83 says:

“When you go into a game and you already know the protagonist story and motivations from some trailers… it’s bad…”

The story and motivations are arguably the driving force behind the primary mechanic tho

25. Chis says:

@Kadayi

Oh noes! Not another anti-troll troll!

Until I hear otherwise, this game is highly likely to have DRM, therefore I am not interested.

26. Tom says:

I’m hereby proposing to pirate the game because of ‘EAs stinking DRM’, no seriously!

27. rocketman71 says:

Looks nice, but I’m not giving any more money to EA, either.

28. Damien says:

Singapore’s only clean because if they catch you spitting your gum on the sidewalk they cut out your tongue.

Or something like that.

29. Mman says:

I wasn’t sure about the drawn cutscenes when I first heard about it, but now it seems pretty cool to me. Perhaps namely because the concept reminds me of Thief.

30. the Shed says:

I definately feel that Thief: Deadly Shadows animation style vibe there too Mman. Smooth object and background animations… It’s an efficient style.

Heh, I missed the whole DRM shitstorm because my primary gaming medium is X360, followed by PS2, then PC. Sweet.

31. Tinytec says:

My favorite game. The atmosphere is great and deep.

Tinytec (polignostix.com)