Depths of Perilier: Kivi’s Underworld Announced

By Kieron Gillen on September 29th, 2008 at 2:51 pm.

This seems to be a good time to drag out the old games journo staple of the Pretend They're Dancing Caption. So - er - some dancing. yes.
Makers of RPS-favoured Diablo-meets-Clear Sky RPG Depths of Peril have announced their new “thing”. It’s called Kivi’s Underworld. It’s another action RPG, and seems to be trying to do the pop-thing of mixing accessibility with depth. For the former, the game’s arranged into fifteen-to-thirty minute chunks that can be consumed like a swift healing potion. For the latter, there’s twenty (Count ‘em!) character classes. It also promises a high level of modability, in terms of user-generated characters. More details as they emerge as it approaches its release before the end of the year. Until then, go see Tom Chick interviewing Steven Peeler about what it’s all about.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Jim Rossignol says:

I’m kind of surprised there isn’t at least one Depths Of Peril fan whooping in here. There should be.

2. RiptoR says:

Game rings a bell, but can’t place it :)

3. Garreett says:

The website is like going back to the 90′s, but with more bandwidth.

4. Him says:

I’m the closest thing to a Depths of Peril fan in this thread! I thought Depths of Peril was OK! I liked the way it borrowed ideas from MMO games and put a fresh spin on them like the bookcase! I thought the party mechanic was a little broken and that other guilds could be overly aggressive! On the whole I found the game to be an interesting experiment that felt unpolished!
    Kivi’s Underworld could be fun, but I’ve got my heart set on Hinterlands.

5. spd from Russia says:

Ill give Depths Of Peril a try if you say its cool

6. ohnoabear says:

I played Depths of Peril a lot for about two weeks, then go bored of it. The tribe v tribe game is interesting, but the common Action RPG/MMO level/stuff grind overshadows it, which means the whole thing loses its luster when you’re sick of grinding, which is as soon as you realize that it has nothing new to offer in that department.

That said, if they had announced Depths of Peril multiplayer instead, I’d be begging all my friends to buy it. I imagine it would be a much more interesting game against another person.

7. Nox says:

Depths of Peril is one of my top five gaming experiences of all time, and I’ve played nearly every worthwhile computer game (and most console games up ’til the original PlayStation) since the Atari 2600/Commodore 64 days. So yes, when this announcement was made in the official forums a couple of weeks back, I confess that the response in my apartment was something akin to whooping.

I’ve put as many hours into Depths of Peril as the original Sid Meier’s Pirates! and its remake from a couple of years ago combined. The only other games I can think I’ve played as much (in sheer man-hours) are Brian Reynold’s Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri, the original X-Com and maybe The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall and Morrowind.

Still, this game is merely set in the same world as DoP and not a direct sequel. The game mechanics will be a bit different, and the holy grails of the previous game–quest randomization and world events (which made it infinitely replayable)–will be lost this time ’round. Because of these changes, I’m actually looking forward to Tilted Mill’s upcoming Hinterland a bit more.

Doesn’t mean I won’t be participating in the open beta in the hope that there’s even a nugget of DoP’s brilliance intact.

8. Lorc says:

Depths of Peril looked rather good. I really wanted to like it, but just couldn’t find any firm footing. In the end I just gave up.

The idea that they’re making another one, with the benefits of their experience with Depths and some of that newfangled communist hippy “user friendliness” nonsense is cause for celebration.

“Whoop”.