RPS Demands: 10 Things All PC Games Should Do

By Alec Meer on September 29th, 2008 at 5:27 pm.

I really should learn how to use my camera

Less a manifesto, and more a notverymanlyfesto, as this is very much a tech-centric list. If you want thoughtful game theory, you’ve got the wrong nitpicker.

The PC is the best gaming platform in the world – but it could be better still. While it’s great that the PC doesn’t have to suffer quite the same degree of standardisation as its locked-down console brethren, we have nevertheless fallen into certain patterns of how we game. There are things we take for granted and thus expect, like WASD controls in FPSes and patches for bad bugs. There are others still we should be able to take for granted, but can’t because the same damn-fool oversights happen again and again. Even outside of the more obvious annoyances like referring to Xbox controls or including ridiculously draconian DRM (which are both more a question of money than of thoughtlessness), a ton of stuff that any gamer could have told the developer was a glaring screw-up keeps on turning up in otherwise great games. Here are just 10 of the worst offenders, 10 things that every single modern PC game should get right and has no excuse not to. Please do suggest others in comments below.

Been there forever. Come on!

1. Alt-tab support.

Perhaps the single greatest, but so often neglected, Must-have there is. Just having rudimentary task-switching support in there isn’t enough (hello-o Valve games) – it needs to be fairly quickly and smooth, and included in the original release of the game, not in a patch down the line. This should be as big a priority as graphics or sound. Don’t care if it’s a massive pain to code in. Don’t care if you have to re-start the entire game from scratch to put it in. Alt-tab is absolutely integral to the way we all use our PCs. Half of us essentially live at our computers – we need to be able to task-switch to an IM window or an inbox or even another game in moments, not be locked into one program. Frankly – if your game doesn’t alt-tab, it’s not really a PC game.

Possibly deserving an entry of its own, but in the name of keeping this list to 10 I’ll include it here – all PC games should be able to play in a window. I’ve missed social events because someone’s instant messaged me about going to the pub, but not bothered to phone or text when I don’t get back to them right away because I’m off in a game. One day, the girl of my dreams will magically message me, and by the time I’ve exited the game she’ll have got bored of waiting and declared her love for my arch-nemesis (I don’t actually have an arch-nemesis, but I’m working on it). Then I will hunt down and kill the developer of whichever unwindowable game I was playing at the time. They will appreciate why. Window play is also necessary for 2D games whose resolutions can’t be changed – 800×600 pixels of pretty hand-drawn art look like roadkill in toontown when they’re stretched over a 1680×1050 panel.

Unbelievably, Clear Sky's savegame location was equally silly as its forerunner's

2. Use standardised install and savegame folders

Everything goes in Program Files by default, please (and, just as importantly, there needs to be an option to install anywhere the player would rather). Don’t have your game install itself into the root of C:\ or an obscure sub-folder, and when you do put it in Program Files don’t stick it inside [Publisher name]\[Developer name] – just stick a folder directly in there under the game’s name. Gamers want to be able to find their game files easily, not have to Google for everyone involved in its creation just so they can work out what folder it’s in.

This is doubly true of savegames. We need to be able to back those suckers up in case of disaster or a Windows reinstall. Know where STALKER hides its savegames in Vista? C:\Users\all users\documents\stalker-shoc, that’s where. Here’s where games whose developers aren’t crazy stick their saves on my PC – C:\Users\Alec\Documents\My Games. In other words, the standard My Games folder inside (My) Documents, a two-click, standard process to reach. To find STALKER’s saves, I have to dig through five separate sub-folders, in something I’d never otherwise look at. Who are these mythical ‘All Users’? They’re not me, that’s who.

Even our beloved World of Goo fails at this. The game goes into Program Files\World of Goo. The savegame – and the savegame alone – goes into C:\ProgramData\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo. ProgramData? Worse, that’s actually a hidden folder by default. Gah!

3. Automatically set themselves to your desktop screen resolution

Don’t default to something horrid and archaic like 640×480. The vast majority of PC gamers use flatpanel monitors, and games running at anything other than their native resolution tend to look horrible. Save us the hassle of changing the setting ourselves, but most of all save the less tech-savvy from having to work out what a resolution even is in the first place, or just putting up with a blurry screen because they’ve no idea how to fix it. Clearly, still allow the resolution to be easily changed to whatever the gamer wants, however: the game needs to support every res the monitor does.

SWAT IV - Man, I loved editing those ini files for widescreen!

4. Support widescreen resolutions.

Widescreen isn’t the future – it’s the present. Just look at the consoles for proof of that, or at the top hits for ‘monitor’ on Amazon. And expecting us to edit an ini file or type in command lines doesn’t count as widescreen support.

5. Uninstall in seconds.

Don’t have it laboriously check every single damn file before it has the grace to remove ‘em – just wipe the folder, pull the main hooks out of the registry and be done with it. I uninstalled the FIFA 09 demo today, and it all but locked up my PC for ten minutes while it did its ridiculous, disc-churning thing. Then I uninstalled the King’s Bounty: The Legend demo, and it was gone in the blink of an eye. That’s the way to do it. When I want someone to leave my house, I just want them gone – I don’t want them hanging around on the doorstep making tedious chit-chat for half an hour. Tied into this is installing neatly in the first place to ensure removal is simple – the game should all end up in one place, not explode tiny bits of itself all over the hard drive.

FIFA 09 - takes 12 years to uninstall

6. Don’t require the CD/DVD in the drive to play.

Again, we’re talking about a PC, a device with hundreds of gigabytes of storage. A game needing to look at a plastic disc entirely external to the game install folder whenever it runs is openly ludicrous. I know it’s for copy protection’s sake (and even so is of debatable effectiveness in this day and age), but the annoyance to legit customers surely outweighs a few extra lost sales before the inevitable no CD crack turns up anyway. Requiring PC gamers to scrabble through a vast pile of discs just to play the game they’ve already installed is contrary to the nature of the platform, and lures people towards less than legal solutions that may ultimately push them further towards piracy. And you wouldn’t want that, would you publishers?

A relic from the past

7. Keep the quicksave and quickload keys far apart.

Accidents happen, whether it’s sausage-fingered gamer stereotypes or just furious keyboard-slapping in rage at another defeat. Hitting quicksave when you’re reaching for quickload is the worst thing in the world, including being licked to death by a pack of hobos. If you set quicksave and quickload to F5 and F6, you are not fit to be developing PC games. F6 and F9 are fine – that’s enough space to blame quicksaving just as you get killed on the player being stupid, not on developer thoughtlessness.

8. Escape means menu/pause
The button’s actually called ‘Escape’, for heaven’s sake. Why on Earth would a game ever bind a request to leave or pause the action to anything else? This needs to be standardised. No-one wants to be miserably jabbing at random buttons one-by-one because the phone’s ringing but they’ve got no idea what brings up the pause menu.

And, because I want to keep this list PC-centric rather than generalist to all games, I’ll mention cutscenes here rather than as a separate point. Pressing Escape during a cinematic means I want to end that cinematic. Literally, I want to escape this movie you are making me watch. Please respect that button’s purpose. Please respect your players – and if you make any of your cutscenes unskippable, you don’t.

What could it be for?

9. Auto-backup quicksaves

Again, accidents happen. Excited gamers hit quicksave when they think they’re out of danger but a giganto-beast is just about to feast on their ankles. Files get corrupted. And then you’re screwed, with no option than to rewind potentially hours of progress. So whenever the player hits quicksave, the game should keep a copy of the last one in case of disaster. The last two, ideally. It’s just common sense, and surely an incredibly simple process.

10. Patches should fix, not break

If your patch renders savegames from previous versions of the game inoperable, it’s just not ready for release. If people have to restart a game from the very beginning because of this, they will hate and distrust you for it. If there’s honestly no way around this, because the under-the-hood changes really are that absolute, then the patch needs to say as much in giant red letters when it’s run: “INSTALLING THIS WILL BREAK YOUR SAVES. OK?” A footnote in the readme file is not enough. Better yet, the lead designer should show up at the door of anyone installing the patch with a box of chocolates and an apologetic hug.

Stepping away from savegames, if your patch introduces new problems then it’s hardly a patch, is it? Test it to death before you let it into the wild – remember that Eve update which deleted critical Windows files? Such a thing cannot be allowed to ever happen again.

, , .

1. Armyofnone says:

“7. Keep the quicksave and quickload keys far apart.”

Oh please god yes.

2. Fumarole says:

Regarding point 7 – I’d be happy if all games simply included a quicksave. The ability to rebind keys makes it easy enough to prevent fat-fingering the keys, if one is so prone.

3. finchDenton says:

2. Use standardised install and savegame folders

Goddamn, EA you motherfuckers, listen to this. I’m sick of finding my Crysis and Spore saves in stupid folders.

4. Katsumoto (jvgp100) says:

2- Personally I install all my games into C:Games, cuz even program files pisses me off – it already has a load of random software in it, having to trawl through that in addition to my mass of games gets infuriating. I agree with the general point though, why does it have to be done by publisher! Argh. Also agree about the save game malarkey – nowadays games seem to save their games into any of about 5 or 6 different folders. Why not do as you suggest, or even better imo, just put them in a folder called “save games” in the folder that you installed the game into!

8 – I agree, but I also think more games need a way to pause cutscenes (space bar?). It’s so annoying if your mum/girlfriend/whatever comes in during that crucial cinematic, and you can either miss the entire thing or try and get rid of the intruder politely whilst at the same time trying to take in the essential plot twist.

5. Chris says:

Great list! The only one I’m not entirely in agreement with is the CD/DVD one. I think that’s the least intrusive bit of DRM right now — if you lose a movie DVD, you can’t watch the movie, after all. I don’t think checking to see you haven’t passed the disc on to someone else is that terrible of a thing.

6. Carra says:

Ok:
    -> All buttons should be remappable! I play with the numpad instead of WASD. If I can not put my movement there, I won’t even bother with the game. And not being able to remap the Mass Effect spell hotkeys to the buttons around the numpad (/, *, -, …) is just horrible.

7. Optimaximal says:

Addendum to #8.

If playing a single-player game, hitting Escape to explicitly pause the game MUST PAUSE THE GAME. There’s nothing worse than needing a wee, pressing Esc (out of habit and/or expectancy), only too come back to find your forces wiped out.

I’m looking at you Darwinia, you otherwise largely flawless masterpiece!

re: keyboard remapping -
    Splinter Cell:Double Agent gets an automatic -900000000% for forcing you to use the Return key to do anything. It made an already shoddy buggy game noticeably worse!

8. Reader No. 4 says:

Actually, with point 8, it would make a lot more sense to bind pausing the game to the button that says “pause” on it, and when you think about it putting quit on “end” makes as much sense as “escape.” Escape is the standard and all games should respect it but I wouldn’t try to logically justify it.

9. phuzz says:

Yes to all of the above, except maybe the uninstall thing, because I usually just reformat every 6 months or so instead…

Perhaps we should have a similar idea to Games for Windows (wait! read the rest! don’t flame yet!). A sticker/logo that developers can put on their games when it complies with the above list of requirements, some sort of Campaign for Proper PC Games or some such (ideally with a witty/smutty acronym ).
    Console developers should be used to having to jump through hoops to get their games published, most of the above (except maybe 1 & 10) should be trivial to implement.

And lastly, this is a special plea for Valve:
    Once I’ve set my display settings and key bindings for one source game, why do I have to set them again for every bloody mod I download?

10. MrMud says:

Always allow the user to change the default controls.
    Not quite so important in some genres but If I cant change the input configuration in an FPS I uninstall at the spot.

11. garren says:

Abso-*beep*-lutely agreed on all points. Someone contact Stardock on this to make another list.

12. Jason Lefkowitz says:

Why not… just put them in a folder called “save games” in the folder that you installed the game into!

Because the idea of a home folder is that you should be able to only back up that one folder, and then, if disaster strikes, you reinstall your apps, restore your home folder, and presto voila all your saves, prefs, etc. are back in place.

Putting saves and prefs in “Program Files” defeats this because it’s outside the home folder.

13. Joe says:

Speaketh Trueth youeth doeth.

Soundeth liketh aeth knobeth Ieth doeth.

14. karthik says:

A nod at point #2. The Gears of War save games are hidden 8 folders somewhere under drive C. And 4 of them are hidden, one of them has a randomly generated name!

11. Allow a save anywhere feature. (Famous Culprits: Far Cry, Riddick)

12. Easy access to in-game volume controls, and one slider for master volume (in addition to music/speech etc) . It drives me up the wall when I can’t alt-tab out of a game and end up having to tweak half a dozen volume sliders in-game to avoid having my ears blown out.

13. In game gamma correction. I hate having to tweak monitor brightness settings before and after a play session.

15. phuzz says:

I don’t have permission to edit my own comment :(
    so instead I’ll add this one as well:

…while standardised save game folders are great, the option to change them would be even greater. Just have an ‘Advanced’ tickbox on the installer that lets those of us who know what we’re doing, install our games to a different drive (for example).

16. Switch625 says:

Being able to pause cutscenes would be nice as well – can it be that hard?
    I can pause at any other part of the game to respond to the microwave beeping, the doorbell going or the phone ringing – why is that if any of these things happen during a cutscene I miss a great chunk of the story?

Not that developers should be having long cutscenes anyway, obv.

There’s not a single one of these I disagree with, although regarding Alt-tab support I think there are technical issues that stop it being silky smooth with a lot of games. With more demanding games on lower RAM systems (which, with the advent of Vista, now includes 2Gb systems) all of your desktop stuff gets paged out to the disk, so there’s a big pause when you alt-tab out cos it’s got to page all the game memory to disk, then all your desktop stuff back off disk.
    At least, that’s the way I understand it.

17. Sid Sinister says:

5. Uninstall in seconds.

How when you uninstall game with expansion packs also installed it would be ideal if you could run one uninstall program for the lot. If you have uninstall the expansion packs before can uninstall the main game it can takes ages have, the worst offender I can think is The Sims 2 especially with all it expansion packs that has came out over the years.

18. Lacobus says:

I was with you untill pressing escape to quit cutscenes. This should be a separate button, escape = pause. Whether it be to a menu screen or whatever.

19. Bobby says:

That one just won’t happen. ever.

Most notably because with each little change in the game structure there’s a chance the old save game state may actually be invalid or even bug-inducing by the new “rules” the game follows post-patch. Writing systems to correct the old game state as it is loaded is, to put it mildly, not trivial.

There are other problems, but that one’s the hardest to take care of.

20. Fred says:

I absolutely agree with all but #5. While it’s true that when I ask a guest to leave, I want them out ASAP, if they’ve been leaving crap all over my house, I don’t want to have to clean up after them.

21. suchchoices says:

Point 7 is a close relative of the reason why my keyboard has gaping holes where those “power off your computer by accident while you try to hit F12 in the dark” keys usually sit.

I propose the addition of the Clear Sky Crash Reporter Memorial Point, whereby seriously bug ridden games with automated error reporting tools are strongly encouraged to ensure the error reporting tools themselves do not fail.

22. MacBeth says:

How about deactivate the goddamn Windows key so that you don’t accidentally hit it in the middle of a game while reaching for Ctrl or Alt… though I have never ever used the Windows key for the purpose for which it was invented (not even sure what that was tbh) so mine is currently removed from my keyboard and lost somewhere…

23. ascagnel says:

@phuzz:

Most games have had such a checkbox for quite a while. Going back at least as far as 2003 (I remember installing SimCity 4 to my G:\ drive).

24. gattsuru says:

14. Have an autosave. This goes doubly for games that inspire eight-hour-long gameplay sessions. This goes quadruply for any game that could ever have a bug which causes crashes (and thus, any game).

25. Saflo says:

If your story-driven game is divided into discrete levels or chapters, have an unlockable menu that makes them available for replay after completion. Halo did this, Half-Life 2 did this, and everyone else should do it.

26. Sucram says:

Like Katsumoto I also install to X:\games\ rather than program files. A few titles default to this, it would be nice if during install you were given the option:

Install directory:
    O X:\ProgramFiles\thisgame
    O X:\Games\thisgame
    O custom..

UserSettings directory:
    O MyGames
    O (install directory)
    O various random folders you’ll never find

27. LewieP says:

I will say on the widescreen point, they should also support non-widescreen resolutions. A bunch of recent PC games have been “Widescreen only”, which is bullshit.

28. FP says:

Great list, this is what games for windows should have been.

One thing though, your suggestion for solving #5 is a really bad idea since users *will* manage to install the game into somewhere important (e.g. straight into c:\program files or c:\users\ or c:\myimportantdata) several pieces of software have been bitten by that before.

@Katsumoto
    In addition to what Jason said, saving files into a subfolder of Program Files can cause problems on Vista.

29. Mr_Day, Pioneer of Yawning Indignity of Man says:

Amendment to unskippable cutscenes:

Developer\publisher logos and introduction cutscenes should be shown once, then moved to a button on the title screen to only be shown when the player wants to watch them.

This is especially true of MMO games. Age of Conan and Warhammer are guilty. I want into the game, not to look at EAs logo. Sod off, will you. Piss off. I am pushing esc. I sodding hate you.

30. Shadowmancer says:

3. Automatically set themselves to your desktop screen resolution

No and NO, why because most people dont have a £100,000 pc, so when i play crysis s i’ll have to play it at 1650 x 1050 by your reconing or i’m not a gamer i mainly play games at 1280 x 768 and they are fine run with brilliant graphics and a good framerate only old games run at my default rez.

31. Keith says:

Yes. Very yes. Specifics:

@Katsumoto, re:8, pause for cinematics. Yes! I would probably suggest that instead of the Escape key skipping cinematics, it pauses them. Like it pauses the game, so it’s consistent. Make the “skip cinematic” button something like Backspace. Or even, as Tomb Raider Legends did on Xbox, have a “Skip cinematic” option appear on the pause menu when in one. That way you avoid accidental skips, and don’t have to implements a “replay cinematic” button for people who were busily hammering space/whatever when the cutscene kicked in.

re: 2, yes. One thing though — in order to have “Vista compatible” or “XP compatible” badges on the box, software has to follow a few rules about where it saves configuration files. My Games*name of game* works for me. Put the configuration files in there too (ALL of them, if there are separate engine configs and inis and keybindings and whatnot) so I can backup my configs and saves easily if I’m upgrading or whatever.

Happy with karthik’s 11, 12 and, er, 12. What about:

14:Automatic updates. Not “you must download 500Mb before you can play”, but “there’s a patch available: [install] [read changelox] [not now, thanks]“, *before* the game has spent 60 seconds loading textures and showing me endless logo animations. Obviously only relevant for not-steam games.

32. Sucram says:

On cutscenes:
    When you start mashing buttons on your input device it should pause the cutscene and give you the option to skip it. Escape should pause it and bring up the in-game menu.

Similar to what Saflo said about a chapter menu, where appropriate there should be also be a cutscene theatre.

33. kafka7 says:

Great article. So many annoyances that we take for granted. Let’s not take them for granted anymore! Man the barricades!

If I was going to add one thing, I would mention your choice of start menu item folder being completely ignored, and placed in some stupid subdirectory starting with the publishers name. I don’t care who publishes it! Put it in \Games\* please! I’m fed up of rearranging my always-tidy start menu after every install to redress egotistical publishers.

34. Walsh says:

I see kafka beat me to the punch.

My biggest beef is games that let you install to C:Games but don’t let you configure where the Start Menu shortcut goes! I had a whole system goin where my Start Menu was one neat column with a folder for Games and its slowly become a ridiculous PITA to maintain after uninstalls/installs etc.

35. Andrew F says:

‘Save Anywhere’ is a game design decision, not a universal right.

36. EyeMessiah says:

@3

This one is a bad idea! WAR does this with a psychopathic mono-focused obsessiveness every time I start the game and it is driving me crazy having to switch modes every single time. My desktop resolution is not the resolution I game at.

Otherwise, ok.

37. EyeMessiah says:

11. Save anywhere is a universal right.

38. Homunculus says:

Addendum to 8.

The first menu screen you see when you mash the Escape key from in-game should always have a “Quit to desktop” option. The most egregious offender, Assassins’ Creed, is rightfully mocked for its eleven step process, but even the mighty enhanced edition of the Witcher necessitates an unnecessary backstep before releasing you to other interests; despite an obvious space in the pause menu which could comfortably accomodate a quit to desktop item.

39. suchchoices says:

@ Sucram, others, regarding the default game install path

It would be nicer if your operating system noticed when you were installing the game, and forced the install and savegame directories to follow the naming convention you’d specified earlier.

@ MacBeth, re: that sodding windows key

I too levered out my left windows key many years ago.

On the subject of keyboards, another pet hate is those games that exclusively grab my keyboard input, and block the use of hotkeys for applications running in the background, eg foobar2000′s global play/pause/next track/prev track hotkeys.

40. Theory says:

On top of Jason’s reason, this generates a UAC prompt (and on OSes older than Vista, completely bones anyone running the with a limited user account). It’s as bad an idea as saving all your documents to Program Files/Microsoft Office/Word/.

In fact something Alec missed is Vista’s dedicated saved games folder: Users/[name]/Saved Games/. It’s even better than adding a new folder to Documents, and it’s even more standardised since every Vista user account already has it.

41. Colthor says:

I hate it when games installed on not-C: put their save-games on C:.
    Keep them in the game’s directory. That way they’re on the disk I specified to install to, and they’re easily findable when you want them. And when you move the disk to another computer all the savegames are already there, you don’t have to go digging for them.

Having your smallish system partition filled up with gigs of savegames because you didn’t realise they were going in c:\Documents and Settings\[...] is a pain in the arse.

And yes, I know it’s part of the Games for Windows specification. Morons.

42. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Nice list. I have to echo the voices that support the ability to save anywhere (which may indirectly be a jab at annoying checkpoints), and cutscene handling. As for the latter, I’d really like it that when a cutscene comes up that I’d have the option to pause it or skip it. That way, vital information that may be shown to players (I know, it most often breaks down to some trivial bit of bump-mapped breasts sauntering about, but I’m giving devs the benefit of the doubt) can be paused to do something and later resumed.

In terms of DRM, I’ve been thinking about the annoying online verification everytime you launch a game. How about instead of requiring a new verification everytime you want to play a game; the system does a check and maintains the permission for the game running as long as you don’t turn off the PC or switch accounts? This means that the verification can check if the copy is legit, but only does so once every time the user logs onto their OS of choice – NOT everytime they launch the game.

43. araczynski says:

I disagree with #2. I HATE when everything wants to go into program files. i install ALL my games under C:\Games and also use a start menu folder ‘games’.

I would also add to include in game cheats in all games. for when we’re not in the mood for their ‘challenge’. sometime i just want to blow crap up, why should i have to hunt the net to get the cheats/trainers when the devs probably have them in the code at some point for testing. stop pretending you’re special and just leave/put the stuff in there from go.

44. RandomEngy says:

About #2: Vista requires the process have admin privileges to write in the Program Files directory. That’s why more and more save games are appearing in your Application Data folder, so users with UAC on (and yes, this is a lot of people) don’t get an irritating pop-up every time they run their game.

What they should do is include a static shortcut to the save data so you can get to it easily.

45. bitkari says:

Good list. Here are my personal bugbears:

* DRM is only acceptable if it NEVER EVER interferes with my enjoyment of the game. Smart publishers don’t DRM.

* Don’t require a dozen patches to get up to the latest version. If someone buys a game 8 patches down the line, let them grab ONE file to get up to speed.

* Speaking of patches: MAKE THEM AVAILABLE. So many publishers are cheapskates and don’t even host their own patches, relying on fileplanet and friends to do their dirty work. It’s your game, and it’s your publishing brand at stake here, so have a website that works, and keep all of the relevant downloads accessible.

* Gamepad controls on relevant games! So many games, even ports of console games don’t support game controllers. I remember sobbing gently when Beyond Good & Evil would let me play with my gamepad.

46. cliffski says:

What really annoys me as a developer is there seems to be NO DOCUMENTED WAY to get the location of the MyGames folder.
    Maybe you need to pay cash to microsoft for the voodoo. You can use SHGetFolderLocation() to get MyDocuments (which is what I use), but getting MyGames is impossible.
    If anyone knows how, please tell me NOW, as I’m releasing a new game tomorrow :D

47. suchchoices says:

yay for windows development bullshit! good luck with that one cliffski!

48. Junior says:

I am here to say NO to standardized save locations.

But only because I’m getting so sick of them showing up all over my machine, everytime a developer starts a convention, someone else makes another. Then just to rub it in, three of them start sharing a folder, while all the others linger outside.

MY DOCUMENTS JUST CAN’T TAKE IT ANYMORE.

So, a save folder in the install please?

49. Maximum Fish says:

Skip-able (or absent) ad splash screens when loading the game. Everytime i loaded up Crysis i had to watch the EA logo animation, the Crytek one, the Nvidia one, the Intel one, the ESRB one telling me the rating of a game i’d already bought, the lawyer soothing ESRB one telling me the online content isn’t rated, and the screen that just says “Crysis” on it. Then, 13 minutes later, i’m at the main menu and, wait, what was i here for again?

• tomz says:

It’s important that whenever the player hits quicksave, the game should keep a copy of the last one in case of disaster.
      ———————–
      chicago dui lawyer

50. Katsumoto (jvgp100) says:

Okay, thanks to the numerous people telling me why Vista necessitates save games going into a certain directory! I take that bit back. I uphold everything else I said ;)! If they must go into a certain directory then yes, it should of course be standardised i.e. every game in the same place. Ooo, messy subfolders get my goat!