Out of the Wilderness: Hinterland Released!

By Kieron Gillen on October 1st, 2008 at 9:06 am.

Shall we go out t'Hinterlands? Yeah, why not.

The quietly lusted after by RPS RPG Hinterlands is now available to buy on Steam for twenty (Count ‘em!) dollars.. I’ve just downloaded my copy, and will have a crack in the next couple of days at some point. Until then – er – decide what you make of it yourselves. Any opinions yet?

Oh – while we’re Steam updating, Multiwinia’s also there. And some videos of Hinterland beneath the cut.

I still keep on typoing it as “Hinterlands”. I don’t know what that says. Well, it says I’m stupid, that’s what.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Heliocentric says:

What? That was a zero hype launch. Wouldn’t be suprised to see this on impulse for all you no drm fiends, tilted mill put their expansion up there earlier this month. Diablo with city building sounds addictive.

2. Mort says:

It really isnt ‘diablo with city building’, or is that just me? I think pcg started that one, along with any comparisons to Dwarf fortress.
    It’s good, I like it, for a tenner I’m not complaining, but it has about as much depth as Bookworm Deluxe (ask my wife).
    I looted crafting tools to help my craftsman in the town….from a spider!?

3. Diogo Ribeiro says:

What’s the point of non-descript hearts popping out of character’s heads while losing hit points in combat? There’s a reason those numbers exist in most other games.

4. Mort says:

I played it pretty extensively last night, and yeh, one of my first thoughts were, ‘where are the numbers?’, there aren’t any really. Hence the ‘lacking depth’ comment.
    Biggest problem for me is the lack of camera control meaning very limited view, a pet hate of mine. Bugger.

5. futage says:

“I’ve just downloaded my copy, and will have a crack in the next couple of days ”

Piracy shocker.

6. Malagate says:

Hmm can’t watch the videos at work, but I did read the wiki about it. Seems mildly interesting, but that could be just because the first screenshot made me think of Mount and Blade, which I’m currently addicted to.
    I do like the quest and build mechanic, as I did enjoy it in Dark Cloud, even if the combat is crap for ~£10 it’s hard to go wrong. Depends how staid and repetitive it gets, it’s a shame it seems quite shallow as well (but then when compared to Dwarf Fortress almost everything seems quite shallow, if they ever make it with actual graphics instead of ASCII then I will be all over it in a sexual way).

7. Feet says:

No videos of the village building bit?

8. Mark says:

What futage said. lol.

9. Alec Meer says:

We would have had a Hinterlands interview some time ago, but Tilted Mill don’t seem keen to respond to the questions I sent over several months back.

Update – ah, they are in fact keen, but my mails to ‘em got spam-eaten. We’ll hopefully have something up from ‘em soon.

10. Jesucristo says:

OMG
    Another Action RPG… clicclicclicclicclicclicclicclic

11. yns88 says:

Alec: Hinterland, mind you.

Also, shame to hear all this talk of shallow gameplay. I was really hoping for a real open world city-building rogue-em-up experience. Guess I was asking for too much : (

12. Therlun says:

It is a very simple action-RPG and little else.
    Your guys attack automatically, you loot and thats about it.
    There is nothing to do besides killing monsters and loot stuff… which can be fun if you like that kind of thing.

The actual building part is very minor and of negligible importance.

13. onkellou says:

For heaven’s sake, does really, really *every* game under the sun need to be released within the same six week sof the year? Even digital-distribution-only niche games like this?

Silly.

14. Shadowmancer says:

RPS stop advertising steam games you get them for free since you guys have valve press accounts while the rest of us have to pay for them.

15. Turin Turambar says:

Hmm. Disappointment.

16. Alec Meer says:

Shadowmancer – Remove your tinfoil hat, sir. We talk about games that interest us – that’s all. Or do you really need a list of all the games we’ve talked about that aren’t on Steam?

17. Jim Rossignol says:

Plus I bought Hinterland this morning, $20+tax. Sorry to disappoint, but we don’t get all our games for free.

18. Julian Montebartholemieau, Esquire says:

Shallow combat kills this for me. Back to Titan Quest I go.

19. Ian says:

@ Jim: Pfft. You’ll be telling us gaming journos don’t drive solid diamond helicopters, next.

20. Greg Wild says:

Roll on student loan! Can’t wait for this one, but I just can’t afford it till it does :D

Edit: Ah fuck it, gonna get it anyway. £13 further into my overdraft for a few days can’t hurt that much >_>

21. Malagate says:

@Greg, such happenstances is why I think RPS is an evil force.

If you had not come to RPS and read this article, that would be £13 of the bank’s money that you would still have.

If I had never come here I would not have known about Mount & Blade and as such I would be able to get a decent night’s sleep.

If I had never heard of Mount & Blade then I wouldn’t have been able to tell my friend about it, who is now also playing it for hours on end. However he happens to have just started Uni, so I will hold RPS responsible for any low marks he gets.

Should the bank decide to ream you for overdraft charges, remember RPS and come join me in making a class action lawsuit, I’m sure there will be plenty of “justice” to go around after we get their solid diamond helicopters.

22. MasterBoo says:

Shame to hear it’s a bit shallow. I thought the developers were aiming at something similar to “Dwarf Fortress” from one of the interviews…

Is it still worth getting or…?

23. Larington says:

I agree on the curse of games being released as a chunk during the christmas period… Considering how few games I’ve bought during the last few months and mostly out of I’m bored desperation, that all of this gets into my maybe/definately list in around 2 months is fugging ridiculous… Not to mention that, people start university in september so a sizeable chunk of folks who have had hour upon hour during the summer holidays are bored, but when winter rolls around theres suddenly too many games and not enough time. On the plus side, there’ll be plenty of budget choices for me for easter & summer next year (When I might otherwise have bought it full price).

For instance:
    Definately
    24/10/2008 – Far Cry 2
    31/10/2008 – Fallout 3
    21/11/2008 – GTA IV and Left 4 Dead

Maybe?
    31/10/2008 – Red Alert 3 and 007: Quantum of Solace
    07/11/2008 – Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason
    14/11/2008 – Call of Duty: World at War and LOTRO: Mines of Moria
    21/11/2008 – Tomb Raider: Underworld

This is just on PC, can’t imagine what its like if you have multiple different platforms.

If these were spread over a longer time frame I’d be far more likely to pick them all up, by summer I probably will have forgotten half of them even existed.

Back to being fully on topic, I’ll wait for a review I think.

24. Flim says:

hmm, if I’d thought it was coming out on Impulse as well I’d have waited and got it from there.

Now to claw some time in my day away from WAR to try the thing out…

25. H says:

I dunno, from those clips, it seems… Very basic and a bit naff? Be good to see a demo.

26. LEEDER KRENNON says:

yes, it is basic. that’s why it is fun to play. i played 30 minutes before work today for example. although i would have played more if i could.

27. EyeMessiah says:

So if this is hinterland then what is the vehicularly coop post-apoc game with 25,000 guns in it called?

28. Karnov says:

Borderlands

29. Heliocentric says:

I cant wait for (word that means edge)land.

30. Chris R says:

Tangential land? Perhaps Contiguousland? Or my favorite, Abuttingland. Yes.

Or just Blade Land. Har har

31. Matthew Thiel says:

I picked it up last night, but I found it to be kind of a mixed-bag.

The combat is a bit awkward, but mostly fun. The difficulty is confusing. For some reason, I was mowing down the enemies like grass when I started as an “Architect,” but playing as more combat oriented classes caused the enemies to be MUCH harder to kill and I seemed to lose health more quickly. It might be something I was doing wrong, but I was left feeling very confused.

I’ll probably keep hacking at it for awhile, but I’m already starting to wonder, ‘is this it?’ For $20, I might have been asking too much too.

32. Sam says:

What a charming little game. Only got through half a small map so far but i can see me playing this quite a bit. Diablo/Majesty-esque. Heaven!

33. bowl of snakes says:

I like it, its definitely on the shorter end, like you sortof expect with a $20 game. Of course it would be awesome if it had the depth of Dwarf Fortress, but that’s a pretty massive thing to compare it to. It will be awesome if they improve it via patches and/or expand on this idea in future games.

34. Greg Wild says:

I’ve played a fair bit of it now, and I have to say, while it’s got issues, it’s got some incredibly innovative ideas going. Hopefully have a review up by the end of the day.

35. mandaya says:

gave it a try because I was intrigued by the mention of Dwarf Fortress. Sadly, that seems to be just a well-placed marketing-gag, as all the stuff that’s so darn addicting about DF seems to be missing in Hinterland. the village and its inhabitants are not really customizable and serve as some kind of bland RPS-like base without any of DF’s charm.
    for the price it’s ok, I guess…
    … although it’d be better karma to donate to tarn adams instead!!

36. SiderFace says:

Why does everyone think there are “rights” and “wrongs” to game making. You all mentino that they DIDN’T do certain things, or SHOULD have done certian things… if there are such distinct right/wrong methods of game-making, then eventually all games woudl reach the same result: the “right” one. Tjhey woudl jsut stuff EVERY feature into one title without regard to balance and the actualy EVENT of game-playing.
    I am MORE than ready to dispute every single one of these comments, one-by-one. All of your levels of understanding of v.games is (at best) mediocre.