Pure: Everything To Do With ATVs

By John Walker on October 1st, 2008 at 2:38 pm.

Brighton looks amazing!

Brighton is obviously the hotbed of offroad quad biking. From where else would you expect to find such a game? Disney’s Black Rock Studio are based there, and creating the cross-platform Pure. (And not P.U.R.E.) And now there’s a demo. An enormous 1.9Gb one. And for all that downloading, you get a tutorial, and three laps on the Italian Mount Garda track. On your way. Thanks to WorthPlaying.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. andrew says:

Is there such a thing as a freeform/sandbox off-roading game? I’d really like to just drive around like an idiot without worrying about tracks, times, anything.

2. AndrewC says:

2 GIGS!!!!!!!!!!

It’s going to take me bloody ages to torrent the full game.

3. PJ says:

its kinda fun on consoles. dont know if its as fun on PC

@andrew – there is time trial in which you can drive around as much as you wish, but its not real freeroaming

4. Yhancik says:

You mean it would be quicker to torrent the full game ? :p

But that’s… concerning indeed. For 40% of the filesize, you get 1 track. There must be a point where people would say “screw it” and download the full game instead, I’m afraid.

5. Mitza says:

I played the demo on a PS3 and then the full game on PC. It’s the first time I’m mad at having a keyboard instead of a gamepad. I actually think I’m going to buy a gamepad to fully enjoy this game.

6. rand526 says:

@andrew Rig of Rods???

7. espy says:

@andrew: 1NSANE was pretty good, but that’s reeeally old.

8. Kismet says:

I was inquiring about the game yesterday in RPS chat room, wondering if it could be Trackmania dating Trials 2 SE with SSX joining in to spice things up, or more SSX having only naughty dreams of a threesome with Trackmania and Trials 2 SE.

*downloading*

9. Mark says:

@andrew

Best PC freeroamer/sandbox I’ve played is Motocross Madness.

Best recent sandroamer is either MX vs ATV Untamed (x360/PS3/Wii) or the more recent Baja (x360/PS3) which EuroGamer seem to think is on PC, though surface level digging finds me nothing on that. EG Reference; http://tr.im/5ga

MX vs ATV has a lot of vehicle overlap with Baja, more scope but less freedom (though not by much, there are some big levels) The graphics are higher res but less well designed, at least on 360. Baja has better everything (graphically) bar resolution, where it’s suffered the horrible “fix” of a low resolution upscaled. More realistic, though not as realistic as it claims. Less vehicular scope, but far more accuracy. Baja also has beautiful audio, whereas almost everything in MXvsATV sounds horrible, which for me is a big factor when these vehicles are sitting on the redline a lot.

10. Cian says:

Motocross Madness 2 was all kinds of aces, I still occasionally get it out for the chance to leap over jets in flight whilst pulling a superman.

11. andrew says:

Woo! Thanks, all! Plenty for me to dig through. I wasn’t even sure this sort of thing existed.

12. andrew says:

Extra woo! 1NSANE is featured on GOG! Fun, thanks again, all!

13. nakke says:

Wow seriously, 2 gigs? What the hell are they doing? I… borrowed a full version of this from the internets, and it was about 2 gigs too!

14. mashakos says:

wow! Didn’t know this was coming out for the PC. Damn you gametrailers!!

15. mashakos says:

“its kinda fun on consoles. dont know if its as fun on PC”

3 words: force feedback joystick

16. Anon7 says:

You’d think people would learn to compress demo’s better considering the full game is on the internets for about 900 MB.

17. Heliocentric says:

Seriously? The guys that put out demos might make them big to say. “we know our game is good, try it” but hoping the customer will think “demo is too big i’ll just buy the game.

Remember dreamfall? That logic worked for me, 4gb for probably a 30 min demo.

18. Surgeon says:

andrew says:

Andrew, you could have a look at Fuel! too, which should satisfy your sandy box requirements.

The Pure demo was even 1.65GB on the PSN.
    It looks amazing and plays like SSX Tricky, but with ATV’s, which can’t be a bad thing.
    I even got the wife playing.
    But it does seem massive for what amounts to a tutorial and one single player track.

19. Surgeon says:

I can’t edit for some reason, but here’s the Fuel link :

20. AndrewC says:

Does it work for anyone else? It’s corrupted for me, and it’s been removed from Gamershell too.

This doesn’t help all our ‘jokes’ about torrenting.

21. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

AndrewC said: “2 GIGS!!!!!!!!!!

It’s going to take me bloody ages to torrent the full game.”
    Haha! The problem is that Cliffy B is going to take this serious.

22. Nahual says:

Where can one get this game online? I liked the demo.

23. mashakos says:

WTF! You can’t set the resolution?!!

24. Lu-Tze says:

That’s nearly 140 peggles!

25. iainl says:

This is all getting far too confusing. I’ve been referring to the awesomely wonderful PSP racer wipEout purE as just ‘Pure’ ever since it came out. Now there are 2 (TWO) other games with that name. Gah!

26. onkellou says:

What a load of nonsense. Takes an eternity to install, takes ages to load, and you can’t even set the resolution.

Pressed Escape which I thought would get me to the main menu, but no, it laoded (for several minutes) the next event. Worst loading times since the C64, seriously.

Not even played it, just uninstalled it immediately.

27. TreeFrog says:

Has nobody else noticed the plain text files the installer creates in Pure DEMO\Data\UrbanDictionary ? Presumably they’re for use in filtering, but a Disney game providing a guide to swearing in nine languages is a little… contentious.