The Sims 3 Footage: “The Open World”

By Jim Rossignol on October 1st, 2008 at 8:22 am.

This huge new trailer looks into the development of the new Sims title. It illustrates the open world neighbourhood angle, and the development team talk about how that effects the story you’re creating. It also looks at the ways in which you can build in the game world – from fabricating houses and neighborhoods right through to designing personalities for the Sims themselves. (I look forward to the RPS competition to build the most disturbing neighborhood when the game is released…)

Yep, it’s looking genuinely impressive, just from the point of view of the massive, versatile systems they’re building for this title. If you want a bit more depth on The Sims 3 then have a read of John’s interview with the lead designer, Rod Humble.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Dr. Quincy says:

Delicious!

2. mashakos says:

3. Martin says:

Sounds like i’ll have to get a gaming pc after all or will they port it to ubuntu ?

4. Real Horrorshow says:

I can go outside and walk in the streets!? Fuckin’ awesome! That’s what I love about videogames, you get to do stuff you could never do in real life.

5. Martin says:

The “fun” part is where you get to see different personnality interact. Well it sounds fun… Probably won’t if I remember correctly what sims 1 looked like.

6. cliffski says:

“it seems that no one gives a crap. I’m surprised a sims title is even being talked about in rockpapershpotgun”

its one of the biggest selling and most popular computer games ever made, why wouldn’t it be?
    The reason people don’t get excited in internet terms is that 90% of sims players never post on forums, they are very casual gamers.

7. Alec Meer says:

8. Ian says:

I don’t even like The Sims but it’d still be somewhat of an oversight for RPS not to post about it.

And besides, who’s to say somebody won’t start with the Sims and eventually branch out into other stuff? Spore might even help bridge a gap for some Sims players who’ve otherwise remained uninterested in other games.

Of course that could all be a load of old bunk. :D

9. Rook says:

I think it looks pretty cool. I do wonder about system specs, I’m not sure if my little laptop will be able to cope.

10. caramelcarrot says:

So can I import my Spore creatures into it?

Also, sort of reminds me what Sim Town was trying to be.

11. Colthor says:

The image at the top really deserves a caption.

12. Heliocentric says:

My girlfriend is a simmer, oh yes! But she doesnt like the whole town running real time, she wants total megalomaniacal control.

I think sims 3 will alienate some fans. Maybe becomming more suitable to gamers in the progress.

13. aldo says:

Does it have even more rampant lesbianism and retain the ability to starve to death people who piss you off?

14. Katsumoto (jvgp100) says:

I think The Sims 2 is better than Spore.

There, I said it.

Can’t wait for this. Hating the Sims is the ultimate sign of “hardcore gamer” respect, and I think it’s silly.

/prepares for abuse

15. Sam says:

@Katsumoto:

Surely “hating the Sims” is just called “having an opinion”? I don’t get on with The Sims at all (I never tried The Sims 2, as I just didn’t get The Sims really – I much preferred earlier Maxis games), but I recognise that it manages to be popular with a large fraction of the population, and therefore that there’s something of value in it, even if it totally manages to avoid pressing any of my buttons.
    (It probably is better than Spore, though…)

16. Jamie says:

I think RPS are late again, I watched this trailer about 2-3 weeks ago 8/

17. Larington says:

I’ve never actually played any of the Sims games before but this time I’m kinda tempted, in part due to reading about some of the bizarre proto-typing and experimentation they were doing during early development.

I might actually get the next iteration of the Sims… Don’t know about the expansion packs though.

18. Katsumoto (jvgp100) says:

@ Sam – of course, I should have been more clear. I meant a certain subset of people who hate the sims, i.e. the ones who haven’t played it! A lot of people I know find out their girlfriends play it and that there aren’t any guns in it and instantly assume it must be utter cack worthy of nothing but contempt. Boo!

19. Fetthesten says:

The image at the top really deserves a caption.

That would be the rampant lesbianism then.

20. Simon says:

Um, which bits were the interview and which bits were the gameplay footage?

21. Thomas Lawrence says:

I’m actually always super tempted by The Sims and it’s expansion packs, although I only ever really played the unexpanded original. That game eventually revealed its underlying paucity of thought regarding the nature of the human experience (being – in that memorable phrase from some PCG UK alumnus whose name sadly escapes me, unless it was you Kieron, but then you’re probably becoming the Oscar Wilde of poncy things said about videogames – being “an apologia for consumerism”.)

Yet I remain hopeful that the Sims 3 can continue the course started by the Sims 2 and its notion of life goals to provide us with more things to do than attain wealth and objects.

22. Jim Rossignol says:

I think RPS are late again, I watched this trailer about 2-3 weeks ago 8/

Wow those “Old!” comments are totally redundant, aren’t they? If I wasn’t posted on RPS, it wasn’t posted on RPS.

23. Kieron Gillen says:

Thomas: That was Owain Bennallack’s line. I quote it a lot, because it’s one of those perfect one-liners that says just about everything.

KG

24. cliffski says:

I like the sims but its too arcadey for my liking. I like games that make me think, and the sims just makes me panic. Plus the minute you get married, you are loaded, and all the challenge goes :(

25. aldo says:

The image at the top really deserves a caption.

They’ve just seen the amazon reviews for Spore?

26. Russ says:

Because I’m a horrible person, my only interest in the Sims was to horribly kill/maim them, but I never got around to actually getting the game.

I was thinking I’d make my town into a mini-Guantanamo Bay.

27. mashakos says:

“Yeah – can we keep the comments constructive, please. Blanket dismissal of a game doesn’t really achieve much.”

that was my idea of being constructive. Personally, I feel that Lemmings is where casual games peaked. Everything else pales in comparison. Well, that’s my opinion anyway.

28. Saflo says:

The Sims isn’t a casual game.

EDIT: Don’t argue with me on this, I’ll just give up from fear of confrontation.

29. Smurfy says:

I saw this trailer like a month ago >.>

30. roBurky says:

I’m looking forward to seeing how this works out.

31. sigh says:

Neat more brainwashing for codependency.

32. Pidesco says:

Aside from its content The Sims is a rather hardcore game. It’s an open ended game with multiple, meaningful paths and endings, where the player has to juggle his time and resources to achieve his goals, and where a slight deviation from plan can create emergent gameplay.

Awesome is what The Sims is.

33. Kadayi says:

“I think The Sims 2 is better than Spore.”

Agreed. Although I’ve great admiration for what Will Wright and his team have achieved I knew in all honesty Spore really wouldn’t have any long term appeal to me, where as although I’m not a fanatical simmer. I often fall back to it and the world & characters I’ve created when I’m in need of a break from anything too demanding gamewise. It’s like my free cell or spider solitaire.

I’m ambivalent about Sims 3 though. Although I like what they are doing in terms of creating more diverse characterisation with the shift over to a mix of traits rather than set personalities, but as a player whose used to playing 8 or so households off against each other in a convoluted surrealist soap opera, I’m thinking the open world nature of the game might curtail my fun. I can’t see a player being able to really run more than 2 -3 Sims at a time max, and what happens when households split? Keeping tabs in a static world is easy, but in a dynamic one it’s going to be much harder, esp when new generations are introduced. The whole fun of the Sims is the fact you can direct them, with Sims 3 I get the impression it’s much more a case of you occasionally intervene. How much investment in their well being is that likely to engender?

34. Tims says:

This is awesome, it seems like the part I dreamed about in simcity.

35. Bhazor says:

I played a lot of Sims 2 because it’s a fun game. But then I got a bit frightened when I analysed things too much. Essentially I realised I was more or less God, but if so I was God during his Job days. I was old school God, I was old testament God.

Dawkins will tell that just aint a good thing to be.

36. Mark says:

I want to buy this bad, but my hard-line stance against SecuROM won’t let me.

37. kadayi says:

@Mark

Can you link to the offical Sims 3 system specs for me and maybe the statement that says it’s definitely coming with SecuROM? Because as far as I’m aware neither been released, but if you’ve a reliable news source to confirm I’d like to see it.

38. Mark says:

@kadayi

Can’t seem to find the actual article. Perhaps I made it up. Google seems to suggest I’m not the only one so deluded, if it turns out I’ve been misinformed. The last handful of expansions for The Sims 2 have had it, though, and lately it appears to be EA policy to put it on everything.