Gothic 3: Shoulder Pads Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on October 2nd, 2008 at 8:23 am.

The Forsaken Gods expansion pack for Gothic 3 is emerging from the Germanic cauldron of its development, and it is wearing shoulder pads: great big pointy ones with sharp teeth! At least I think that’s the feature being shown off in this latest trailer, perhaps its actually the things you can face in the narrative gap between this game, and the forthcoming Gothic 4…

, , , .

1. Paul Moloney says:

Presumably the expansion pack will include code that fixes this bug-ridden game? I tried the demo on a machine that can handle Crysis fine (quad-core, 2GB mem, 8800 card) and it was a pixellated slideshow with scenery showing through foreground objects. An absolute mess.

P.

2. AndrewC says:

Look, Moloney, all you need to do is install the latest official patch, then install the latest community patch and then manually update the .ini and the game will run fine, mostly. I don’t know what you could be complaining about.

3. Paul Moloney says:

AndrewC, I presume that’s sarcasm but sometimes you never can tell on the Internet!

4. AndrewC says:

The people that would write my last post seriously would probably be very surprised that you were supposed to do something with the software after you’d fiddled with the graphics options.

5. Gladman says:

But gothic 3 was poooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

6. sana says:

7. Paul Moloney says:

“Yeah, how dare them stupid developers make you install a patch and how dare the community provide players with additional, optional fixes!”

Are you suggesting that it’s reasonable to expect people to patch a demo?

Does the patch even work with the demo?

P.

8. AndrewC says:

Yes, how dare the publishers release a game that is too broken to play.

Proper broken mind, not the Oblivion=broken whining of angry Internet people. My avatar had no head! It made me sad.

9. plastictrash says:

Actually, the Add-On isn’t being developed by Piranha Bytes (the guys that made the prior Gothic games), nor by Spellbound (who are making Gothic 4). Instead, JoWood hired Trine Games, a studio based in India.

10. araczynski says:

didn’t know they were working on an expansion, oh well, sold my G3 copy ages ago, guess i’ll just have to wait for G4. but if plastictrash says is true, then all the more reason to avoid this.

11. suibhne says:

Gothic 3 could’ve been a magnificent open-world fantasy game, and the saddest part of it is that Piranha Bytes really seemed to understand what was lacking (based on their detailed post-release messages) and to be interested in patching all of that in; they evinced the same love for their game that CD Projekt RED clearly holds for The Witcher. JoWood would apparently have none of it, tho, and I gather that PB was in no position to self-finance.

Oh well. G3 still remains one of my most memorable games of the last few years, right up there with Stalker – even tho both were deeply flawed as well. They each demonstrated far better world design than anything found in mainstream hits like Oblivion. And the soundtrack for G3 remains one of the best for any game, ever.

This trailer looks awful, btw. There’s absolutely no sense of new content or even a point for the expansion. A pity, because G2′s expansion (add-on/add-in) was one of the best expansions I’ve played.

12. MetalCircus says:

Andrew: No ammount of tweaking could save that buggy piece of shit. I installed the patches, the community patches, the ini fixed – EVERYTHING. It was still total rubbish, and not acceptable at all. On a computer that can run World in Conflict, Oblivion, etc etc, Gothic 3 should similiarly have no problems, as it’s no more or less graphically demanding than those games. A fucking mess, and a shame as well, because Gothic 2 is one of my RPG Faves.

13. Pavel says:

Gothic 1 – 9/10
    Gothic 2 NotR – 10/10
    Gothic 3 v1.6 – 8/10

I finished all three of them (and loved them).

G3 was great in world design and music, but the story was somewhat lacking and quests were a lot of copy/paste, with occasional great ones thrown in. It ran nicely though. And it is still better than Oblivion (mainly because, unlike Oblivon, its main quest at least made sense…plus world design is much much better).

14. Smileyfax says:

Gothic 3 was awesome, but I never finished it — half due to bugs, half due to burning out on how much game was in it. I spent 50 hours on it, and I don’t think I was even half-done.

15. Jay says:

iirc it’s an Indian cauldron.

16. Bhlaab says:

Gothic 2 is awful YES i went there and bought the t-shirt

17. Frye says:

I found this game extremely memory-hungry (you couldnt spin around without without non-stop HD swapping on my rusty old machine). Once you satisfy it’s appetite (>2G probably) and patch it up, theres one helluvva game though. One i been meaning to reinstall for months.